Non friendly females in the gym.

Options

Replies

• Dreamcrusher16
    Dreamcrusher16 Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    How do you feel about non-friendly males at the gym?

I don't go to the gym to talk. Talking is done in other places, like a coffee house or bar or movie theatre.

No talking should be done in a movie theatre. I throw popcorn at the back of those peoples heads.

I want to sit in front of you and talk so that I get free popcorn.

I'll make sure I lick it all first then :p

...because you think that would deter me somehow?

Ooh you're nasty ;)

You have no idea... how much I like popcorn

And you have no idea if I brushed my teeth that day.

Meh, movie theater popcorn, don't care
  • RastaLousGirl
    RastaLousGirl Posts: 2,119 Member
    Options
    jtegirl1 wrote: »
    lstrat115 wrote: »
    ASAPStocky wrote: »
    The gym is not a social setting.

The grocery store is a place to buy food, the bar is a place to drink, church is a place to worship, school is a place to learn, work is a place to.... Duh, the internet is a place to do research or get information, MFP is a place to count calories, but.... I am sure everyone here has met or chatted with someone at one of these places.
    I dont talk a ton at the gym, but I also disagree with the people who get seriously pissed about it. People just need to start being more kind to each other in general. This world has enough hatred and bitterness.

I would awesome this a thousand times if I could!
    I thousand her thousand... or something like that!

Also, I used to think the restroom would be a non-sociable place.. Well, until I had kids and a husband.. It seems there is some deep conversations that happen in restrooms. I've witness strangers in a public bathroom sharing life stories. With this being said, I believe a sociable place is where you make it. There are no rules, just respect of others. I, personally, don't want to talk while I am working out, but wouldn't mind a simple hello. As far as protecting myself, I always try to have my guard up. :smile:
  • PersianKitty94
    PersianKitty94 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't know if women are friendly or not. I never try talking to them at the gym. I really don't talk to anyone.

You're the real MVP
  • LiftingRiot
    LiftingRiot Posts: 6,946 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't know if women are friendly or not. I never try talking to them at the gym. I really don't talk to anyone.

You're the real MVP

She knows whats up. Im a busy person and I get it done at the gym. There is no time for conversation. This isnt social hour. Unless you go to planet fitness, I can totally see the OP trying to talk in there while eating some pizza.
  • crazycat1977
    crazycat1977 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I just go into my own zone, headphones on and loud music.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,507 Member
    Options
    the girls in my gym avoid dudes all the time. can you blame them for being closed off when they are being hit on, on the daily?

I have never seen anyone, male or female, hit on at my gym. We casually chat and nod and smile, but I have never heard anything creepy or anyone ask for a phone number or anything along those lines.
    If it were just me not getting hit on I would chalk that up to something else, but there are some very pretty girls there and everyone is respectful.

Wow....

You seriously need to change gyms.
  • Motorsheen
    Options
    I may have been banned from my gym..... but they didn't say nuthin' about it's parking lot.
  • CoffeeandDumbbells
    CoffeeandDumbbells Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    the girls in my gym avoid dudes all the time. can you blame them for being closed off when they are being hit on, on the daily?

I have never seen anyone, male or female, hit on at my gym. We casually chat and nod and smile, but I have never heard anything creepy or anyone ask for a phone number or anything along those lines.
    If it were just me not getting hit on I would chalk that up to something else, but there are some very pretty girls there and everyone is respectful.

what gym do you go to? i work in a gym. this is a daily occurrence.
  • Motorsheen
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    Just curious. All these complaints about being hit on. Women complain it happens in bars, in gyms, at school, at work, on the bus, on the train platform, at the beach, in jail, in saunas, in MFP private messages, and at drunken frat parties where everyone's playing strip poker.

Where is it acceptable, exactly, for men to approach women with interest and begin a polite conversation?

I mean, with all these gals signing up at MFP to complain about their boyfriends mistreating them in a variety of ways, they must have got the ball rolling somewhere initially...

Well?

We're waiting for an answer.

It's been a whole 90 seconds since he posted this question.
  • PersianKitty94
    PersianKitty94 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Just curious. All these complaints about being hit on. Women complain it happens in bars, in gyms, at school, at work, on the bus, on the train platform, at the beach, in jail, in saunas, in MFP private messages, and at drunken frat parties where everyone's playing strip poker.

Where is it acceptable, exactly, for men to approach women with interest and begin a polite conversation?

I mean, with all these gals signing up at MFP to complain about their boyfriends mistreating them in a variety of ways, they must have got the ball rolling somewhere initially...

The gym is a big no no. In other social settings, it depends on how the guy approaches with the initial conversation. Can't just start the initial conversation with " Hey girl! Your body is hot"
  • Motorsheen
    Options

The gym is a big no no. In other social settings, it depends on how the guy approaches with the initial conversation. Can't just start the initial conversation with " Hey girl! Your body is hot"

I reserve that line for the chicks at our church's bible study class.
  • LiftingRiot
    LiftingRiot Posts: 6,946 Member
    Options

So you haven't been getting the notes I left in your gym locker?

Maybe I am too dumb to realize I am being hit on??

Your words...
  • amandaeve
    amandaeve Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    I have to say, it is all about location, location, location. Every place has it's own "culture." I am motivated by making eye contact with people, smiling, and a brief "Hello" or "Good Morning" if walking by. This is not the culture at my current workplace. Co-workers routinely ignore my "Good morning!"s and prefer to stare at the ground rather than make eye contact. I finally found an awesome gym where the staff all welcome me when I walk in and say goodbye when I leave. I LOVE it. It's by no means a social gym. In fact, it's the first I've gone to where people don't ask about sharing in between sets on machines. People just quietly hover and then jump in. I totally thrive in a friendly atmosphere, which is very different from being hit on. I joined a "Meat market" gym way back when, which was a whole other type of atmosphere. I suggest trying the gym out on a different day or time, it might be better.
  • berly1003
    berly1003 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I dont have time to go to the gym, but if i was able to make time, i think i would just be in the "work out zone" and not really looking to chat...
    thats just me though...
    if i started talking... then i would end up just talking through my whole work out time i had made...
    life is just busy!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options

I used to belong to a huge commercial gym and I saw this kind of behavior a lot...my wife used to say, "Hey...I'm off to the meat market" and I knew exactly what she meant...unfortunately, I think some of these gyms (or should I say a lot of bros in them) also provide for the "lunk" stereotype...I also think it's a big reason that many women are afraid of the gym and/or flock to places like Planet Fitness.

I didn't really see this type of behavior when I belonged to the Jewish Community Center here in town and I didn't really see much of it at the mid-size locally owned gym I used to belong to and when it did happen, it would get shut down pretty quickly by management. The gym I belong to now is very small and we all pretty much know each other, so no shenanigans that I've ever seen.