Non friendly females in the gym.

Options

Replies

• MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    jbirdgreen wrote: »
    I think it's a cultural thing too. I'm from the southern U.S., so you would at least smile and nod...or make general conversational noises while you tune the other person out.

Noises like:
    Unh-huh
    Oh really?
    That's crazy
    Wow
    I see
    You did!
    Bless your heart
    Well I declare (Not really, but my grandma used that as conversational filler all the time :))

Dammit!! I thought they were paying attention!! :'(
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,507 Member
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    So a lot of the ignoring behavior here would just be rude, except for the younger millennials.

Bless Your Heart

Don't make me punch out your liver. That's condescension around these parts.

I would be honored to have you punch out my liver.

Kidneys too!

Although,

Let's save my pancreas for the prom.
  • jbirdgreen
    jbirdgreen Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    @Motorsheen I like you. Come squat next to me. *pats rack*
  • jbirdgreen
    Options
    @JaneiR36 Are they making eye contact? If not, I'm so sorry. :(.
  • Motorsheen
    Options
    @Motorsheen I like you. Come squat next to me. *pats rack*

A girl patting her rack is my siren song, it damn sure is.

I'ma on my way!
  • jbirdgreen
    Options
    I set myself up for that one @Motorsheen. Touche, but not my rack. :p
  • wolvinnetje
    wolvinnetje Posts: 363 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I think because it is that people (so women and men) don't know how to communicate anymore they are living in there own bubble with facebook and twitter and instagram and a lot of other social media crap.They are scared if you just say "hi" than you get a look of you are a terrorist or a word I can't mention here. People have such weird ideas these days ofcourse there happen very bad things in the world but you can't live everyday with that there are also normal fun people only if you don't let them in your live you can't meet them! Excuse for my school english because my native language is dutch.So keep doing what you do (as long it isnt insistent) and let that women (or men) go they are not worth your attention.
  • Heartisalonelyhunter
    Options
    So a lot of the ignoring behavior here would just be rude, except for the younger millennials.

Bless Your Heart

Don't make me punch out your liver. That's condescension around these parts.

Ha! Where I live 'Bless Your Heart' means "I can't stand you and want to punch out your liver".
    Took me years to figure it out. Southern people are weird.
  • jbirdgreen
    Options
    @Heartisalonelyhunter We are nice nasty. This term is mostly used for people who won't/can't eat at a potluck because they don't know kitchen situation of all the cooks. It generally means that you smile at other people while being inwardly disgusted at their filth.

• jbirdgreen
    Options
    So the OP can have that if he prefers. People who make polite conversation, while wishing he would STFU and let them be.

• Motorsheen
    Options
    I think because it is that people (so women and men) don't know how to communicate anymore they are living in there own bubble with facebook and twitter and instagram and a lot of other social media crap.They are scared if you just say "hi" than you get a look of you are a terrorist or a word I can't mention here. People have such weird ideas these days ofcourse there happen very bad things in the world but you can't live everyday with that there are also normal fun people only if you don't let them in your live you can't meet them! Excuse for my school english because my native language is dutch.So keep doing what you do (as long it isnt insistent) and let that women (or men) go they are not worth your attention.

Your English is very good!

.... 1000 times better than my Dutch, that's for sure.

• kwph
    kwph Posts: 7,375 Member
    Options
    Someone proposed that "people" who don't want 2 be bothered wear a sign or a shirt that says something like "Shhhhhhh ..Not right now" or u go alittle rougher with the wording if ya want & if ur Ok with people approaching u & starting random conversations,then ya don't ....
  • Heartisalonelyhunter
    Options
    @Heartisalonelyhunter We are nice nasty. This term is mostly used for people who won't/can't eat at a potluck because they don't know kitchen situation of all the cooks. It generally means that you smile at other people while being inwardly disgusted at their filth.

I don't see it like that. I see it as weird bs to be honest. I live in the South but I'm a Brit and British people are pretty upfront. If we don't like something or agree with an opinion we will just say that. I just find that bizarre saccharin smile and 'bless you're heart' stuff that a lot of Southern women do utterly sickening. It's such an act.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    Options

I don't see it like that. I see it as weird bs to be honest. I live in the South but I'm a Brit and British people are pretty upfront. If we don't like something or agree with an opinion we will just say that. I just find that bizarre saccharin smile and 'bless you're heart' stuff that a lot of Southern women do utterly sickening. It's such an act.

I'd say it's the alternative to feeling like you're expressing disagreement or dislike ALL DAMN DAY
  • Heartisalonelyhunter
    Heartisalonelyhunter Posts: 786 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »

I'd say it's the alternative to feeling like you're expressing disagreement or dislike ALL DAMN DAY

Well it's not. Because the person they're doing it to knows it's an act and they're effectively telling them to gtfo. The alternative would be to say nothing at all.

ETA I have northern neighbors who say the same thing. It's the strangest behavior and would get you kicked out of most civilized peoples' houses throughout the world. It's fake and rude and like living in a village of Kellyanne Conway clones
  • MelodyandBarbells
    edited February 2017
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »

Well it's not. Because the person they're doing it to knows it's an act and they're effectively telling them to gtfo. The alternative would be to say nothing at all.

Usually using much fewer words, too!
  • wolvinnetje
    wolvinnetje Posts: 363 Member
    Options

Your English is very good!

.... 1000 times better than my Dutch, that's for sure.

Thank you/Dank u :)