Non friendly females in the gym.

Options
1121314151618»

Replies

• blackcomaro
    blackcomaro Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    This thread should just be; just no non friendly peeps in the gym... instead of the singular.
  • kwph
    kwph Posts: 7,375 Member
    Options
    So true
  • Bro0000
    Bro0000 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Everyone's friendly at my gym, bro. Maybe switch gyms, bro?
  • kwph
    Options
    I would but we have coed showers ...So that part works out pretty good
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I'm a pretty friendly guy in general. Beth complains that I chat with too many people when we hike. I'm happy, and there's a lot of trail chat. And, really, the goals for the day are to have a good time and enjoy natural beauty, stopping to talk to people doesn't impact that.

When I'm lifting, I just want to focus on lifting. Somebody breaks my concentration, then, crap!, did I just finish my 3rd or 4th set?

We can talk all day long on bikes, if you can match my pace.

On skis, it depends on my goal that day. Sometimes I'm working on speed. Other times, I'm just enjoying the gorgeousness of winter. Some days I'll stop and talk to the people on the side of the trail scratching their heads looking at the map. But some days I don't have time for that, and I know someone else will.

So if you ask me if it's a nice day, I'll probably tell you it is, but don't be offended if I don't slow down sometimes.

I'm a male, by the way; maybe that means nobody cares if I'm unfriendly:

Huh. I just realized I'll chat on the trail, especially if they have a dog, but am not at all interested in chatting at the gym.

I do say Hi and Bye to staff, and nod to people who catch my eye, but as to actual conversation? Nope.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    I wouldn't know if women are friendly or not. I never try talking to them at the gym. I really don't talk to anyone.

You're the real MVP

She knows whats up. Im a busy person and I get it done at the gym. There is no time for conversation. This isnt social hour. Unless you go to planet fitness, I can totally see the OP trying to talk in there while eating some pizza.

Sure, if I went to PF and was chilling eating pizza, I would be more inclined to chat.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    brittyn3 wrote: »
    I'm confused as to why this is an issue.. ? You want someone to cater/fulfill your experience and be friendly/chatty/acknowledge, but maybe the other people want the experience of individual/focus/no interruptions. I have to socialize and make small talk all day at work - when I'm at the gym.. it's me time. And if that pisses people off, because I don't feel it necessary to coincide with their desires... I mean? Seriously? Why are you more important than I am.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but seriously... who cares if people want a different experience than you, that's called free will. And it does not make me a rude/negative/mean person for wanting that.

Why do you hate men?

Do you want an itemized list? A stream of consciousness rant? A chronological account of the slights women are subjected to? A documentary video? Links to various studies showing how differently women are treated when reading from the same script as men? A photo spread? An interpretive dance? How should we do this? :p

Another vote for interpretive dance :lol:
  • kshama2001
    edited February 2017
    Options
    kwph wrote: »
    I'm not trying 2 be a wise *kitten* ,but if it really becomes an issue where u hate going 2 the gym & being bothered by guys all the time ,there are gyms 4 just women ...I don't think ya should have 2 change ur life ..but I'm just sayin if it's really becoming a nightmare

I've been lifting off and on since the 80s, and for the first time in my life I am at a women-only gym. I moved last year and it's the closest once to my house - it's really nice that it's close enough for me to go at lunchtime. Once the weather improves, I will probably walk there.

Anyway, I thought I was just going to go until my free week was over, and then when my Groupon was over, but I'm enjoying it. I do yoga stretches in between sets and it's nice not feeling self conscious about this.

They say in yoga that there are 80 postures and 1,000 variations... this gym lacks some equipment that I'm used to, but I've found variations. Their dumbbells only go up to 55 pounds, but I'm only up to 25 # regularly and 30 occasionally, so no issue there, and no issue maxing out on any of the machines.

If I were a super-serious competitive lifter this would obviously not be the place for me, but I'm not so it's fine.
  • kwph
    Options
    Yea that's all I meant ,but again I don't think women should have 2 change their life cuz guys can't leave them alone ....
  • FitOneSoon
    FitOneSoon Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    This is just how I feel. but when I finally go to a gym, I think I would rather people try to talk to me than not. It would be kind of an ice breaker and I wouldn't feel so weird. lol But I can understand people not wanting to talk when they are there to basically do a job.
  • descene
    descene Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Yes, exactly what I want when I am on an elliptical, in a sweaty old men's t-shirt and having some nice daydreams in my head, is a man or really anyone coming up to me and trying to have a conversation. It's one thing if I'm outside and hiking that day and a stranger shoots the breeze, but I'll take the label of non-friendly if that's what it takes to get people leave me the hell alone at the gym. My friends and family at least don't think I'm an ice queen and that's all I care about.
  • jan3h
    jan3h Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I used to think people were really unfriendly at my gym. Then I realised that they're simply focussed on their workouts. That happened at about the time I noticed myself being really focussed on my workout! It's a Zen thing .... I mean how much social chit-chat do you engage in when you're meditating?
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,494 Member
    Options
    jan3h wrote: »
    I used to think people were really unfriendly at my gym. Then I realised that they're simply focussed on their workouts. That happened at about the time I noticed myself being really focussed on my workout! It's a Zen thing .... I mean how much social chit-chat do you engage in when you're meditating?

meditating?

I would love to meditate 'cept I don't own Birkenstocks or any clothes made from hemp.
  • lnorman08
    lnorman08 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I think it's people misinterpreting or judging a book by its cover. I have been told I am intimidating in the gym but actually I am very friendly!
  • kwph
    Options
    No u ignored me & I bought u ice cream
  • hbwin92
    hbwin92 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty shy in general so I don't really start conversations unless necessary. Plus, I get a bit insecure at the gym so i don't make eye contact or talk cause I usually just wanna finish my workout and then leave as fast as possible. Haha.
  • LiftingRiot
    LiftingRiot Posts: 6,952 Member
    Options
    I heard that a guy said hello to a woman at a gym once, he now does crossfit. True story