Non friendly females in the gym.

Options

Replies

• suzesvelte
    suzesvelte Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    At my gym I have become friends with several people, others I just say good morning or hi or whatever. The old guys like to chat a while and the women sometimes as for advice or offer it. Some just smile in recognition. Very few people don't talk at all. But then I live in arguably the friendliest place in the UK lol.

Where's that then?

I have made pals at my gym, over the years. Mostly through being in CLASSES though, or even in the changing rooms - finding common ground with other ppl, mainly women. At first no-one made any eye-contact or said hello - that lasted for maybe a year! I think it is about familiarity, too many ppl pass through for a few weeks then change their schedule or do something different and you never see them again so ppl don't even notice you. Literally do not see you.

When you keep seeing the same ppl doing the same patterns at the same time in the week as you it is time to start smiling and sayin hi. Now I see the gym as a vital part of my social life, even though lots of the exchanges with other regulars is pretty superficial it is friendly and I enjoy that part of it. I am also pretty good mates with a few I met there, but that takes a long time.

If I was younger / more interested in men I think there would be a different "charge" about engaging with men. I hate the idea that women have to be "friendly" to anyone, but men in particular.
  • kwph
    kwph Posts: 7,375 Member
    Options
    Guarantee its an attraction thing 2 ...Alot of people are saying they don't wanna be bothered,they are there 2 work out (True) But if some cute guy or some hot female came over & said something u would find time in ur schedule 4 them ...Lmao ...Don't Lie!!!!
  • PersianKitty94
    PersianKitty94 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    kwph wrote: »
    Guarantee its an attraction thing 2 ...Alot of people are saying they don't wanna be bothered,they are there 2 work out (True) But if some cute guy or some hot female came over & said something u would find time in ur schedule 4 them ...Lmao ...Don't Lie!!!!

Still no.
  • kwph
    Options
    Thank U!!!!Finally someone admitted it ... (Btw ...Where do u work? Cuz I'm gonna come flirt ...Ooops...I mean workout with ya)
  • kwph
    Options
    (Workout)
  • kwph
    Options
    I'm just going up 2 every unfriendly women at the gym & give them a big,juicy hug & then sayi "Now that wasn't so bad was it." .....(Then I'm gonna whisper in their ear "Just give me a head start before u call security please " .....)
  • ky13mcg
    ky13mcg Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    At the end of the day gym is a place to workout, if a female or male chats that's cool. But people (unlike myself) can be focussed hard on their routine so someone looking unfriendly to you might just be there for their workout and in the zone as such. At the same time I think seeing new folk at the gym being shown how to use equipment by fellow gym folk is a great thing to see, we are all there to better ourselves in different ways but some folk smile and nod, some put the blinkers on. Personal choice is all.
  • LiftingRiot
    LiftingRiot Posts: 6,952 Member
    Options
    kwph wrote: »

Maybe only slightly more accommodating but I would get annoyed and I think there attractiveness would be diminished because they are interrupting my work out. Im still there for one thing only, to work out. Maybe if you catch me on the way out when my workout is done. Trying before my workout even would annoy me because my pre-workout would be kicking in.
  • serenityfrye
    serenityfrye Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    For some people, talking to others is not an enjoyable activity, it is work. It takes great effort. It's not fun, it's not a good time, it's not pleasant. Expecting someone to talk to you when they don't want to is demanding and selfish. Just because you enjoy idle conversation doesn't mean that the person you are trying to engage with does. No one owes you a good time, especially if your good time makes them miserable.

Extroverts will never understand what life is like for introverts. And, while it is also true that introverts will never understand extroverts, extroverts are not usually censured for their "friendly" behaviour in the way that introverts are censured for their "unfriendly" behaviour. As well, there is a much higher expectation to be friendly placed upon women than there is men so introverted women such as myself are really in a bit of a spot, aren't we? Yet we are forced, day in and day out, to make nice against our natural proclivities in a way that extroverts (and men) simply are not--it's a pretty rare thing to be told that you are too friendly, right? Much less common than it is for me to be told that I should smile, at any rate I'm willing to bet.

The thing is, I'm at peace with a whole lot of the world believing I am a *kitten* because I have a hard time making eye contact, I won't initiate conversation with most people, I have a serious case of resting *kitten* face, and I prefer to be alone. Can you be at peace living your life without the whole world wanting to chitty-chat? You really should be.

This. RBF is a blessing for an introvert who doesn't like or isn't good at small talk. The number of times in my life some condescending man (never once a woman mind you) has told me to smile as if he were doing me a favor by reminding me my face didn't please him is ridiculous. If someone wants to say something kind then I'm happy to reply with a smile, but I'm so tired of being chided because my thinking face isn't pleasant enough apparently.

Also - I take my glasses off for a lot of lifts at the gym - so chances are if I'm appearing to ignore someone I likely legitimately didn't even see them.

RBF doesn't always work. I have it and guys always come up and ask " why aren't you smiling? Smile a bit". annoying af.

Haha yeah I've also got 'old' and 'not cute' on my side. I've never been spoken to at the gym unless someone wanted to work in. People there are pretty good about not bothering anyone wearing headphones though
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of desperate people...
  • kwph
    Options
    No I'm not ...Why? Do u like me?? I mean ...will u be my friend ....please ....I'll buy u a car .....please!!!!
  • leadslinger17
    leadslinger17 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Just because someone isn't talkative doesn't mean they are "unfriendly", that's a unfair assumption. Maybe they are introverted and aren't great being put on the spot, or maybe they are lost I their own thoughts, or they are on a tight schedule.... lots of reasons why someone (male or female) might not be interested in talking at the gym.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,494 Member
    Options
    synchrony7 wrote: »
    Just because someone isn't talkative doesn't mean they are "unfriendly", that's a unfair assumption. Maybe they are introverted and aren't great being put on the spot, or maybe they are lost I their own thoughts, or they are on a tight schedule.... lots of reasons why someone (male or female) might not be interested in talking at the gym.

so they hate you too, huh?
  • Svanel
    Svanel Posts: 6,255 Member
    Options
    I'm quite an introvert. I dislike most humans in general (yes, I've had a life full of idiots and such) lol and besides if I'm going to the gym, why am I going to waste 15 mins chatting when I could have busted out 3 sets worth of reps? Nah. I'm there to workout.
  • Dreamcrusher16
    Dreamcrusher16 Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I don't go out of my way to talk to people at the gym, but it is a public place. If someone says hi, I day hi. Then I out the headphones back in and get back to work. I don't get drawn into conversation, but I'm not rude about it either.
  • omakase619
    omakase619 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Real talk the ones that talk to you while you are trying to run next to them on a treadmill are the worst. Like my cardio isn't good enough for me to talk to you while I run. Please understand this, and never engage in a conversation with someone trying desperately to breathe air.
  • Dreamcrusher16
    Dreamcrusher16 Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    omakase619 wrote: »
    Real talk the ones that talk to you while you are trying to run next to them on a treadmill are the worst. Like my cardio isn't good enough for me to talk to you while I run. Please understand this, and never engage in a conversation with someone trying desperately to breathe air.

This! Lo...l
  • NoAnalHere
    NoAnalHere Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    It'd be super cool chatting up someone who cares about their health and goes to the gym and fits the lifestyle I'm trying to be apart of.

But I don't go to the gym to meet new friends or new people and I don't like being interrupted when I'm just trying to get in and out. The gym should be the place everyone is friendly enough but no conversation needed lol

• kwph
    Options
    I wear a Ninja outfit so people don't see me,but if someone does see my I run over blend in with the wall & they're like "Where did he go??"