Water chestnuts?

Options

Replies

• NewlifeinNW
    NewlifeinNW Posts: 3,866 Member
    Options
    lstrat115 wrote: »
    cee134 wrote: »
    Some people like water chestnuts and some people don't. Are those people wrong that have a different opinion than you? I say yes in this case. I am for water chestnuts and will discuss how they are appropriate and why. Do you agree or disagree that water chestnuts are good? Why?

You are always true to your word.
    And I rather enjoy a water chestnut. In bacon, in stir fry, in dips. (Don't tell the haters, but I sometimes even eat them right out of the can)

Do you enjoy the crunchiness or the moistness the most?
  • nolan44219
    nolan44219 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    LL5lifts wrote: »
    ywrng.gif
    LL5lifts wrote: »
    Water chestnuts are a gross texture and crunchy at the same time....and people often hide them in bacon. Evil and wrong.

This^^ it's a texture thing for me. I see one and I think "oh a baby potato slice" even though I have been fooled with these awful little things before I still bite in too it and instantly regret it.
    4ojyowawxtnq.jpg
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    They are gross and are a waste of space.
  • nolan44219
    Options
    They are delicious and anyone who says otherwise is wrong.

I've never used the flag option but this was the closest I ever came.
  • Nitroalley2
    Nitroalley2 Posts: 3,419 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I like them. Now beets. Blah!
  • nolan44219
    Options
    I'm getting seriously heated over this. Water chestnuts never hurt nobody no how.

They are eeeevil!
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options

See this is where I will have to respectfully disagree. Not only do water chestnuts have all these qualities:
    1. Rich in potassium: It has enough amount of potassium, which helps to counter the effect of sodium and good for lowering blood pressure as well as for your heart. 5 raw water chestnuts have 5% of daily recommended of your potassium intake.
    2. Alleviate nausea: the drinking of water chestnut juice is helpful in easing out of nausea. Singhara juice is good for jaundice.
    3. Lowers cardiac risks: It helps to lowers down the level of cholesterol and discourages the absorption of carbohydrate. 100 grams of it contains 2 g of fiber.
    4. Good for sound sleep: The presence of Vitamin B-6 is good for sleeping as well as alleviating your mood. It produces neurotransmitters that are effective for your mood and sleep.
    5. Good for measles: Boiled water of water chestnuts is good for measles patients.
    6. Good for thyroid gland: Due to the presence of iodine, it is effective in the proper functioning of thyroid gland.
    7. Hair growth: It has sufficient amount of potassium. It is also having vitamins B and E. All these nutrients are good for healthy hair.
    8. Control loose motions: It has cooling effects and acts like as coolant.
    9. Anti-viral: The presence of anti-oxidants like poly-phenols and flavonoids , it acts as anti-viral, anti-bacterial, anti-cancer and anti-fungal.
    10. Good for fetal growth: During pregnancy, it is helpful in the growth and development of fetal.
    11. Good for skin: It helps to detoxify the body and gives overall good appearance. The paste of water chestnuts and lemon juice is good to cure eczema.
    12. Regulates water retention: It has the balancing effects in the body due to the presence of enough amount of potassium and lower amount of sodium thus helps in regulation of water retention.
    13. Cure phlegm: Its juice is good in curing of phlegm.
    14. Secretion of mother milk: It is good in the secretion of milk by stimulating the mammary gland.
    15. Sore throat: Eating the vegetable is helpful to cure sore throat.

But interestingly the plant also bears different names in various parts of the world:
    • Indonesian names: Chikai, Dekang
    • Philippine names: Ap Buslig, Sibosibolasan, Nilaga, Kalangub, Potok,
    • Chinese names: Wu-yu, Pi’t’si, O-yu, Peci, Mati, Po-tsai
    • French name: Chigne d’eau
    • Spanish name: Cabezas de negrito
    • Hong Kong names: Pipi-wai, Kohekohe
    • Japanese name: O-kuroguwai
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    cee134 wrote: »

See this is where I will have to respectfully disagree. Not only do water chestnuts have all these qualities:
    1. Rich in potassium: It has enough amount of potassium, which helps to counter the effect of sodium and good for lowering blood pressure as well as for your heart. 5 raw water chestnuts have 5% of daily recommended of your potassium intake.
    2. Alleviate nausea: the drinking of water chestnut juice is helpful in easing out of nausea. Singhara juice is good for jaundice.
    3. Lowers cardiac risks: It helps to lowers down the level of cholesterol and discourages the absorption of carbohydrate. 100 grams of it contains 2 g of fiber.
    4. Good for sound sleep: The presence of Vitamin B-6 is good for sleeping as well as alleviating your mood. It produces neurotransmitters that are effective for your mood and sleep.
    5. Good for measles: Boiled water of water chestnuts is good for measles patients.
    6. Good for thyroid gland: Due to the presence of iodine, it is effective in the proper functioning of thyroid gland.
    7. Hair growth: It has sufficient amount of potassium. It is also having vitamins B and E. All these nutrients are good for healthy hair.
    8. Control loose motions: It has cooling effects and acts like as coolant.
    9. Anti-viral: The presence of anti-oxidants like poly-phenols and flavonoids , it acts as anti-viral, anti-bacterial, anti-cancer and anti-fungal.
    10. Good for fetal growth: During pregnancy, it is helpful in the growth and development of fetal.
    11. Good for skin: It helps to detoxify the body and gives overall good appearance. The paste of water chestnuts and lemon juice is good to cure eczema.
    12. Regulates water retention: It has the balancing effects in the body due to the presence of enough amount of potassium and lower amount of sodium thus helps in regulation of water retention.
    13. Cure phlegm: Its juice is good in curing of phlegm.
    14. Secretion of mother milk: It is good in the secretion of milk by stimulating the mammary gland.
    15. Sore throat: Eating the vegetable is helpful to cure sore throat.

But interestingly the plant also bears different names in various parts of the world:
    • Indonesian names: Chikai, Dekang
    • Philippine names: Ap Buslig, Sibosibolasan, Nilaga, Kalangub, Potok,
    • Chinese names: Wu-yu, Pi’t’si, O-yu, Peci, Mati, Po-tsai
    • French name: Chigne d’eau
    • Spanish name: Cabezas de negrito
    • Hong Kong names: Pipi-wai, Kohekohe
    • Japanese name: O-kuroguwai

I would be even more impressed if you had put this into Star Wars terms.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Whoa people. No reason to bring flags into this. That's like bringing ink and paper into a donut transaction.
  • nolan44219
    Options
    nolan44219 wrote: »

You're crazy. Water chestnuts are yum! With the perfect crunch. Now if we were taking cilantro I could see the possible flag.

I'll agree with you on this. Tastes like soap to me.
  • FairhavenDS
    FairhavenDS Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options

You're crazy. Water chestnuts are yum! With the perfect crunch. Now if we were taking cilantro I could see the possible flag.

Aww, leave cilantro out of this! :disappointed:
  • FairhavenDS
    FairhavenDS Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options

Aww, leave cilantro out of this! :disappointed:

I made a comparison. You brought it back in!

Well, no one was sticking up for cilantro, so I had to say something! My salsa and guacamole and tikka masala wouldn't be the same without it.