February 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Here's an example of the area I'm running. Depending on time of day there's more or less parked cars, but there's never much traffic. Only when I cross one of the higher speed roads do I need to stop for traffic. I just try to avoid running at higher traffic times, like I notice the traffic picks up around 6:45am. zc064vqf8xq0.png

@Stoshew71 I gravitate back to the street vs the sidewalk for the same reasons as you. Although at barely 5 ft tall, it takes a pretty low branch :-D

@midwesterner85 Yes, that's the sort of thing you have to watch for! Drivers that want to cut in front of you like you have eyes in the back of your head.

@lporter229 I only run about 1/10th mile on a 2 lane no shoulder road and even that freaks me out :-p I just stop and stand in the grass if anybody comes by. But I try to just wait and time it with no cars.

My husband has mysterious vomiting and no real answers so I dunno. He had pancreatitis again but that cleared up so it's possible he caught a virus but it's been going on a week. We've dealt with unexplained vomiting before though, so I guess we'll just have to tough it out and go back to the ER for fluids if necessary.

I'll try to get at least a short run in today. It's currently 71F and tomorrow's low is 24F :D
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    m8q8iovk2rgf.png
    Here is the road I am talking about. The path is on the other side of those farm silos. I would not otherwise run on this type of road. It's not a very high traffic road at the times that I usually run it. On average, I have to deal with 3-4 cars between points A and B.
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    @lporter229 That's not bad. I'd rather run a road like that than through town where cars are not only on the road but coming out of a business driveway every 50 ft. THAT really scares me because we had a lady killed a year ago by a truck making a right turn out of a pizza place :( Our whole county is working on pedestrian safety but I'm not sure that calling an 8ft wide sidewalk that goes past every business in town a "trail" is safe.
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    exercise.png

2/1/17 - 6 miles

2/3/17 - 12 miles
    2/4/17 - 7 miles
    2/5/17 - 7 miles

2/7/17 - 7.5 miles
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    The main commercial road in my immediate neighborhood (sidewalk mostly usable).
    sjofnlvm2gu5.jpg

The main residential road with bike path
    3j89mdu83cmm.jpg

Side streets (residential, many one-way)..
    3n2vpfw08v5z.jpg
    xj0ly3i0fqfc.jpg

Runs longer than 4-5 miles usually include downtown which is a mix of usable sidewalk and not.
    oreat9gul8ys.jpg
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Streets I mainly run on:

local, residential streets, mostly no sidewalks, but not a ton of traffic, and speed limit is around 25
    qfqbpdwdaej7.jpg

busier residential street with a double yellow line. I still run on the street here, since there's hardly any on-street parking, and I hate running on sidewalks for reasons expressed by previous posters
    pc4l639eohob.jpg

center of town. Only street I run on the sidewalk because of the pull-in parking
    6jvedqinhu3o.jpg

more commercial road. It has a sidewalk that comes and goes and is not well maintained, lol. I'm fine running in the street here though, because there's a pretty good shoulder
    k4n3wmij2gyq.jpg

I have to say, I'm really enjoying seeing everyone's streets, it's always fun to get a glimpse at other locations around the country/world
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    2/1 – cross-training – zumba
    2/2 – run – general aerobic – 7 miles
    2/3 – run – general aerobic – 6 miles
    2/4 – cross-training – zumba/weights
    2/5 – long run – 6 miles
    2/6 – rest
    2/7 – run/cross-training – general aerobic – 6 miles/weights

Total: 28/116

Totally enjoyed my run in the rain! Was right around 36 degrees F, so a little chilly, and I forgot to pack long pants so my calves were a little cool in my capris, lol, but otherwise it was all good!

Lifting tonight, so I already included that above in my summary
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    @greenolivetree Speed limit through residential is 50km, everywhere else (which is most of the runnable territory) is 110. I only run wooded trail for this reason. People in this town drive like they are on something at the best of times though (the number of times I've almost been hit at a marked intersection with the stroller I can't even count). I also find on the off time I'll run roads in the summer that guys get creepy and/or aggressive and I prefer to avoid that as well.

So imagine this only covered in a hell of a lot of snow because I haven't taken a picture of trail in forevaaaa:

vynn2agn5qaa.jpg
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I have to say, I'm really enjoying seeing everyone's streets, it's always fun to get a glimpse at other locations around the country/world
    Totally agree, it's great! :)
    Most of my running is done in places the google streetview car didn't visit (it's seems it mostly covered the large roads), but still, I found a at least a few of mine:

Country road, speed limit 100km/h (~62mph), although people usually drive a bit faster. There isn't really a shoulder, so I avoid it if there is too much traffic. And I don't run here at night.
    hmvamwlek024.png

Another country road, speed limit 70km/h(~43km/h) - or maybe also 100km/h, not entirely sure just now - but it has a useable sidewalk. Which is good, because there's usually a lot more traffic than on the one above.
    jymlo8xivz9a.png

City (village :wink: ) centre. There are sidewalks, but I pretty much never run in this direction. Too many cars/people/whatever.
    4r07lcx0y57p.png

This is as close as I usually go to the village centre - that would be straight, but I turn right. The sidewalk ends just around the corner for a hundred meters or so, then it starts again.
    njmki84fcwfo.png

Residential street I - speed limit 50km/h (~31mph), no sidewalk, but it's single lane, so people usually drive careful since they have to be able to react to oncoming traffic.
    wmpq0h8d1u48.png

Residential street II - one of those fancy new ones. Speed limit 30km/h (~19mph), side walks on both sides - though I usually run on the street here, because theres cars parking on the sidewalk, or stairs, or potted plants, or stupid "decorative" rock spheres - most of it looks nice, but running on the street is just easier, especially since there usually isn't any traffic at all.
    mxp109wgk8d7.png

Residential street III - again 50km/h speed limit, but peole usually drive slower than that. Occasionally with sidewalks, but not always.
    0hl49snz8yx5.png

• RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Ooh ooh... I wanna play too

Here's the medium traffic street. 25mph but more cars than most residential streets in the area.

tww0jh7uwon5.png

This one's in front of my mom's house. 25mph and very few cars.

8r6pb8vub5cj.png

And finally, the high traffic street. Sidewalks only on this one. 35-40mph.

s9nn55ep2eur.png

• RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    And when I'm at home, I run here, the Illinois Prairie Path:

28jy8j30qaaf.jpg
  • kimlight2
    kimlight2 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    This is part of the residential road I run to get to the small park by my house. q0ub6r7fl53k.jpg

This is the only portion of the road that has a sidewalk and it is only about .25 mile. Around that corner/hill is a highway overpass and everyone flies around it even though the speed limit is 25 MPH.

• louubelle16
    louubelle16 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I live in London, so there is traffic everywhere and I hate it. Your wide open streets are making me incredibly jealous, we have nothing like that here! I think that's why I love running on trails and through fields and parks so much, it's the only time you're not feeling suffocated by buildings and traffic. I'm lucky that I live on the very edge of London and at least have that option. I often wonder if I lived in central London, where the traffic is awful, if I would ever have fallen in love with running in the way that I have. I don't think I would. Does anyone else ever feel that way? I feel that way about my hometown too, but only because of the hills. I don't think I ever would have taken up running had I started there!

Thank you for all your kind words after my bad week. Definitely smashing it this week though, but I have a lot to catch up on at work after having done so little last week. Serves me right I guess, but could not have been helped. Got my run in today, keeping it very slow this week though to keep my legs happy :)

February Running Challenge

1st-2nd - Sick
    3rd - 6.15 miles
    5th - 5.19 miles XC Race
    7th - 4.06 miles

MTD - 15.40/100 miles

Upcoming races:
    19th February - Bramley 20mile
    12th March - North London Half Marathon
    9th April - Brighton Marathon
  • k80flec
    k80flec Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Feb: 55 miles running.

exercise.png

Planned Races
    11th February : Mid Lancs Rossall Cross Country 4 miles :
    26th February : Stanley Park 10K :
    18th March : Cartmel 5K trail race :

1st: 0 miles, - MTD 0
    2nd: 3.42 miles - MTD 3.42
    3rd: 0 miles, Pilates and strength training- MTD
    4th: 3.12 miles Park Run - MTD 6.54
    5th: 0 miles - MTD 6.54
    6th: 0 miles, Pilates and strength training- MTD
    7th: 5.15 miles club run - MTD 11.69
  • dkabambe
    dkabambe Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I live in London, so there is traffic everywhere and I hate it. Your wide open streets are making me incredibly jealous, we have nothing like that here! I think that's why I love running on trails and through fields and parks so much, it's the only time you're not feeling suffocated by buildings and traffic. I'm lucky that I live on the very edge of London and at least have that option. I often wonder if I lived in central London, where the traffic is awful, if I would ever have fallen in love with running in the way that I have. I don't think I would. Does anyone else ever feel that way? I feel that way about my hometown too, but only because of the hills. I don't think I ever would have taken up running had I started there!

Whilst I totally agree, what I find so amazing is it's quite difficult to find roads without pavements (sidewalks) around here so I rarely feel in danger from vehicles. However, I hate london and other really built up areas as you have to stop every few hundred feet to cross a road and they're so busy takes forever so you can never build up any rhythm. From a running point of view probably even worse than running on the road! Living just outside of London (about 30 miles east) is great - avoid both traffic and constant road crossing, but still have pavements when you are running road routes!
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    @Stoshew71 @lporter229 and @_nikkiwolf_ Thank you so much for the marathon tips. @Stoshew71 That website was awesome with some great info!!
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    So, it's going to be somewhere between -4f and -6f when I'm running tomorrow morning, with windchills -2-f to -22 f. I was going to run a loop. now I'm thinking about running an out and back with the wind in my face on the way out. Since it's a progression run, I feel like I'm cheating a little, but with those temps and windchills, I don't feel too bad. Winds will be in the 5mph range.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Stuck at work late tonight so my trail run will have to wait. Maybe I'll take a break and walk up and down the stairs.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    Stuck at work late tonight so my trail run will have to wait. Maybe I'll take a break and walk up and down the stairs.
    ugh, hope you can get the stair climbing in. I hate getting stuck late at work....where I am right now too.