February 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    Check in: No running Sunday or Monday. Thought I'd get an early start Sunday, and it didn't happen; so I could have got in a morning run but didn't. Teammates who ran reported a lot of black ice and places they had to walk, so I'm not beating myself up too bad about that.

The drive from Bend to Portland was much nicer weather and lower stress than the drive out. The nice thing about having a red eye flight from the west coast was I actually got to watch most of the second half of the Super Bowl. If I'd been at home, I would have gone to bed with the Falcons leading 28-3 and been very surprised when I saw the final score in the morning. The down side was I got only 3 to 4 hours of low quality sleep on planes. So I got a 2 hour nap this afternoon, and got a lot of administrative re-entry stuff done today, but didn't get a run in. Tomorrow I'll run for sure.

Oh, yeah. Now all my team mates are assuming I'll run the USATF Masters 8K in Virginia Beach on March 18. Sigh. They'll be mad at me if I don't go, and if I do go it will screw up another weekend of marathon training. But at least travel to Virginia Beach should be easier than travel to Bend.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    So. Accurding to mapmy run, both my 18 mile and 20 mile point to point routes have more elevation that my marathon......trying to decide if this is a good thing.
  • Calvin2008Brian
    Calvin2008Brian Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    So. Accurding to mapmy run, both my 18 mile and 20 mile point to point routes have more elevation that my marathon......trying to decide if this is a good thing.

Yes, it's good. Hills are good for you, and it will be a confidence builder.

I love doing point to point training runs, btw. It takes some planning, but always seems worth it to me. All great runs are point to point, imho. Phedipides set the standard.
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    @Azercord your new puppy is beautiful <3 ! Fluffy running buds for the win! Alllllmost makes me want one, and then I remember how many children under 5 I have lol

Terrible day with my kids, my nutrition was way off. I snuck in a quickie 15 while the sick baby was willing to hang out with daddy. Think maybe I need to pick up my mileage a bit this week to get out of my head. Maybe run my tempos all as 15's and the weekend trail as a 30...Gah. Too much going on.

February 1- 15km
    February 2- 11km
    February 3- 11.1km
    February 4- 22km
    February 5- 10km
    February 6- 15.1km

86.2 km/200km

• 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn if there's one thing I'd change about my marathon training last year it would be to seek out hills even though my marathon course was extremely flat.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    @ddmom0811 Awesome bling!!

@patrikc333 You sprained your knee? That's not supposed to happen! So sorry!

01 Feb – 10.1 km
    02 Feb – 7.5 km + Body Balance
    04 Feb – 10.7 km including parkrun
    05 Feb – 13.3 km hilly run
    06 Feb – 2.6 km + 1150m swimming
    07 Feb – 9 km + Pilates

Goal: 100 miles / 160 km
    Total: 53.2 km

Upcoming:
    25 Feb - 16.4 km Farm to Pub
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options

exercise.png
  • kimlight2
    kimlight2 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    @mustb60 Congrats on the 10K!
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options

Yes, it's good. Hills are good for you, and it will be a confidence builder.

I love doing point to point training runs, btw. It takes some planning, but always seems worth it to me. All great runs are point to point, imho. Phedipides set the standard.

Thanks for that. For me, it's part psychological, all my runs have been loops or out and back, but my marathon is a point to point, so I figure that having a couple 18-20 mile runs that are point to point will help with that. And, yeah, Phedipides really set the standard on p2p runs.
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    Question for the marathoners in this group...

As I'm heading into my 3 week taper, I wanted to see if y'all had any helpful tips. I have my reduced mileage planned. However, I normally lift weights 2x per week and I'm thinking I should put this on hold at some point during the taper. Also, in the last week, I have 2 rest days on Thursday and Friday, a shakeout run on Sat and the marathon on Sunday. Do I really not do anything those 2 days or are short walks ok?

Thanks in advance for your advice!!
  • garygse
    garygse Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    @mustb60 Way to go on that 10K!

--

Today was the first day that I've run with a group, and it was a nice change from my normal solo running. They also did some laps in a multi-storey car park, as there's not a lot of hills in Dallas...I hadn't thought of doing that, so that was a good trick to learn.

03 - 2.24 miles
    04 - 9.30
    06 - 11.67
    07 - 7.25

Total: 30.46 / 125
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    @mustbe60 - congrats!
    @Azercord - so cute! Never heard of Kree but cute name!
    @skippygirlsmom - okay, I will email you when they let me know when to register. Apparently I was one of the first ones to register this year - I was number 41. The weather is perfect usually in Feb for it. I'm not a nascar fan but it is very cool running on the track and the beach.

Went to strength training last night and focused mostly on upper body and then did the compression leg things. He had said I'd feel no soreness after. Well.. I wouldn't really say that was true, lol. But it did feel good!
    Did a little recovery run this morning. I have a slight ache/pain on one foot below ankle, in front of it but it's not awful. I decided if it was painful I would just walk, but it wasn't bad.
    The weird thing is ever since the HM on Sunday the pain down my one leg which my MFP friends here diagnosed as probable sciatic pain seems much better. Probably because everything is just so tight I don't notice it.

2/1 - strength training
    2/2 - 4.30 miles
    2/3 - rest day
    2/4 - cycling 34 miles
    2/5 - Daytona HM - 2:22.01
    2/6 - Strength training
    2/7 - 3.5 miles

exercise.png

Upcoming races
    2/5/17 - Daytona Beach HM
    2/26/17 - Disney Princess HM Orlando
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    garygse wrote: »
    @mustb60 Way to go on that 10K!

--

Today was the first day that I've run with a group, and it was a nice change from my normal solo running. They also did some laps in a multi-storey car park, as there's not a lot of hills in Dallas...I hadn't thought of doing that, so that was a good trick to learn.

03 - 2.24 miles
    04 - 9.30
    06 - 11.67
    07 - 7.25

Total: 30.46 / 125

@garygse If you're looking for hills, there are some trail runs with lots of elevation gain near Cedar Hill State Park in Dallas. I know one ran at Cedar Ridge Nature Preserve. He did 15 miles with over 2000' of elevation gain. I haven't been yet but I plan to check it out after my marathon.
  • potatowhoruns
    potatowhoruns Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    @mustb60 - well done - great achievement
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    2/1 - 3.4 'mill miles and a quick weight session. The scale was ugly today.
    2/2 - 4.1 treadmill miles.
    2/3 - Rest day.
    2/4 - 2.3 'mill miles and then Bodypump class
    2/5 - Super Bowl = no run AND way overeating.
    2/6 - 4.01 miles.
    2/7 - 4.25 miles.

exercise.png

Planned Races
    2/11 - Red Flannel Run 5 Mile
    4/8 - Beer and Bagel "Off Road"
    5/13 - Market to Market Relay
    6/3 - Dam to Dam HM
    10/15 - IMT Des Moines HM
  • garygse
    garygse Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    @BeeerRunner Thanks for the info, I'll definitely check it out!
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Question for the marathoners in this group...

As I'm heading into my 3 week taper, I wanted to see if y'all had any helpful tips. I have my reduced mileage planned. However, I normally lift weights 2x per week and I'm thinking I should put this on hold at some point during the taper. Also, in the last week, I have 2 rest days on Thursday and Friday, a shakeout run on Sat and the marathon on Sunday. Do I really not do anything those 2 days or are short walks ok?

Thanks in advance for your advice!!

http://therunningstan.blogspot.com/2015/11/my-marathon-taper-and-carb-loading.html

you're welcome