February 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom Ouch! Hope you can get that fixed and be back to running ASAP!
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    exercise.png

2/1/17 - 6 miles

2/3/17 - 12 miles
    2/4/17 - 7 miles
    2/5/17 - 7 miles

2/7/17 - 7.5 miles
    2/8/17 - 6 miles

2/10/17 - 12 miles
    2/11/17 - 4.5 miles
    2/12/17 - 7.5 miles

2/14/17 - 7 miles
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom Soo, sooo sorry. Thank goodness you got it checked out though. At least there are other things you can do in the meantime to maintain your fitness. Keep us posted, and we're hoping you fall in the 10 to 12 week recovery. :)
  • kimlight2
    kimlight2 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom - I am so sorry to hear about that. Hopefully the MRI won't show any other damage.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom I'm so sorry about your hip! Here's hoping that worst case scenario never comes to pass!
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom so sorry to hear about the hip! Fingers and toes crossed that they don't find any other damage, and you have a successful procedure and speedy recovery!
  • garygse
    garygse Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom I'm really sorry to hear your news, but I'll mirror the sentiment of others in that I'm glad you got it checked out. Fingers crossed that you end up with the speedier recovery scenario.
  • dkabambe
    dkabambe Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom - Let me echo everyone else's sentiments in hoping MRI shows nothing else and that you have a speedy recovery.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,391 Member
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    shanaber wrote: »
    Today's run should have been great. The weather is beautiful (70F); I wore my new Topo-ST shoes!!; My legs actually felt great... I just wish the rest of my body was on board with it. My heart rate was all over the place and I had to keep stopping. When I got home and looked at my HR - the low was 33 and the high was 191!! What makes it worse honestly is that it has been fine for the last week and staying right around 38-120 range that is normal for me. Tomorrow I had planned for an interval day but I will just have to see how it feels. I hate the way it feels when it is so erratic but I have to figure out a better way to deal with it than I have been.

@shanaber - I've looked at this several times, and I can't make sense of your HR numbers. 38 beats per minute would be a very good, well conditioned resting heart rate. 33 might be a resting heart rate for a world class athlete, I don't know. I can't imagine anyone actually running and having a HR below 40. 120 would be a nice low HR for an easy run. 191 is way high; I think I had a report of 189 at the top of the 3rd hill in Tallahassee, when I felt like I just couldn't keep running fast any more. (Granted, I'm an old guy; younger folk might not feel it as bad.)

The broad range from 33 to 191 looks bizarre, but even normal from 38 to 120 looks odd. tWith these numbers, I'd suspect that whatever HR monitor you're using has a flaw and is producing inaccurate results. If they're accurate, that's a potential serious health problem that you should get checked out. Presumably if your HR was really bouncing around as much as the monitor says, you would have felt way off, rested and exhausted by turns. That would be a clue that you need medical attention.

I hope it's just a flaky HR monitor, which would be the easiest problem to fix. But if this turns out to be a real medical issue, I hope you get it taken care of and can get back to running healthy.

For reference, my resting HR is somewhere around 40 (it's hard to detect when I'm lying down in the morning), but it goes over 50 just from standing up and walking around gently. Garmin thinks my max HR should be 185, and I spend most of my easy runs with HR in the mid 120s to upper 130s. Races, 150-ish to mid-160s. Over 170, and I can feel that it won't be sustainable for any length of time. But I'm 61 years old. Younger runners will have faster heart rates.

Thanks @MobyCarp and @BeeerRunner - the 33 was my resting, well... right before I headed out the door. It is usually in the low 40s when I am up and walking around. In the past my max has never been above 150. I did see the cardiologist the week before my HM earlier this month because I have been feeling so off. He did a 24 hour monitor and told me that while my HR was not 'normal' and is being erratic at times corresponding to when I feel it, he did not want to do anything at this time. I just need to pay attention to how I am feeling and stop when I feel bad - honestly it is automatic because I really can't keep running when it happens... I have known that I have a very low HR - it has always been low and has gotten lower with my running. The last monitoring by the cardiologist prior to this time my RH was 35 and this last one was consistent with that. When I had my surgery on my hand the nurses were all panicking because the HR monitor kept alarming when it went into the 30's. They finally just turned it off. I know that at some point I will need a pacemaker but he didn't feel it is necessary yet. I am thinking a 2nd opinion may be in my best interest too.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,391 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom - I am SO sorry the news wasn't better. Did he offer any insight into what may have caused it or is it just one of those things that happens? I hope the MRI shows only this and no tear or fracture!

On the plus side @Elise4270 can probably share some great non-running training tips for the pool and with crutches :)
    ok so probably not funny right now but I hope it maybe pulled out a tiny smile?
  • Bakins929
    Bakins929 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    5.5 more...
    exercise.png
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    @skippygirlsmom - I am SO sorry the news wasn't better. Did he offer any insight into what may have caused it or is it just one of those things that happens? I hope the MRI shows only this and no tear or fracture!

On the plus side @Elise4270 can probably share some great non-running training tips for the pool and with crutches :)
    ok so probably not funny right now but I hope it maybe pulled out a tiny smile?

@shanaber if you'll remember, there was a week I sat in the yard shooting acorns from a slingshot. Nutz. We chatted with @WhatMeRunning about turning the crutches in to a missile...

And good god, if one more person asked about my crutches I was gonna *GRRR*. One more "oh your too young to have hip problems" *GRR* frick! Uhhh... Nah, I may not be a good resource cuz ... There's some real frustration.. in my life.. haha! And I can't even run about it.

Some days I miss my crutches. There are days I'd just like to walk without thinking about every step.

ETA But ya, I'll be there to offer any support @skippygirlsmom and anyone else here needs :wink:
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom- Fingers crossed for you here too. Nobody wants to get that news, hoping it's not the worst. But either way, I am sure you will make the best of it.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone you are all so supportive. @shanaber he said more than likely it's something I've had my whole life but running has pushed along it's progress. He did say it was NOT caused by running.

@elise4270 I have no doubt you can give me way too many tips....unfortunately.

Skip and I are scheduled for a HM in the beginning of April. I don't think I have time to do this surgery until after mid April so if nothing is torn or fractured I hope to still do it, just do ran/walk intervals instead of running the whole thing.

Thanks again!
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    I just realized that I mis-calculated my mileage for the month.....My training plan has 148 miles plus strides set for the month. I was skipping the strides to give my leg a little more rest....looks like I'll have to get back to doing those so I can make my goal....
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom : I'm so sorry....revel for the moment in Skip's runs....
    @shanaber : my first thought was that you need a pacemaker.....a second opinion is a good idea.

• girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    What a bummer @skippygirlsmom. Not what you wanted to hear.

After my hunting desperately for a replacement HM since the one I wanted to do was full, and booking the one with the cool bling, today I got a message that my original choice has now space available.

I'd thought of I was on the waiting lists people would pull out just a couple of weeks before, so whether they've just made more space I'm not sure.

Too late though. I can't do both, and now I've found a race where the bling is colourful cow shaped, the hills are muddy and there is no attempt to take themselves seriously, plus apparently there is a water station called the 'Lovestation', with cakes, pies and homemade schnapps, how can I possibly return to my first choice? My chosen race is like the Marathon de Medoc, West Country-style where everyone ends up in a heap on a campsite rolling in cider. How could I resist?

Oh and I'm sick again this week. I'm having a bit of a running rest for a couple of days as I ache and feel rubbish. Tomorrow I have a session with an Alexander Technique teacher to see how that can improve my running posture.
  • Azercord
    Azercord Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom that really sucks but at least they found the issue and have a fairly clear path forward.

@Elise4270 just a side note you were the inspiration to finally buy a cello and start practicing. I'm horrible at it (never played a stringed instrument) but it's been fun so far.