February 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @karllundy I'm 46. Which I think is perdy old. Guess that's because I feel it. ;-) my hip surgeon never said I was too old for surgery haha!
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    @katiejane83 Great shoes!
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    @katiejane83 - I love Saucony Rides. I alternate them with Brooks Ghost and sometimes Asics Cumulus. I do find them a bit short, so usually buy a half size up. FWIW.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    @MobyCarp - you've only been running since 2011?????? Am humbled by what you've achieved.

Just goes to show, everyone starts somewhere.

• girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    I'm still backed off running for a few days, I have a bit of a chesty cough so think I'm still going to bail on tomorrow mornings run even though I feel a BIT better.

Tonight I had a session of Alexander Technique, to see how it can help improve my running form. I last used AT for a neck problem, and found it really interesting and useful, but then like most things slipped back into my old ways. It was interesting how easily I responded to the subtle adjustments this time though.

We started with some warm ups, then I ran up and down a petrol station forecourt being videoed so we could look at form. Basically I stick my bum out. Other than that, not too bad!!! Plenty of things to work on before my next session next week.
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    karllundy wrote: »
    @katiejane83 - I love Saucony Rides. I alternate them with Brooks Ghost and sometimes Asics Cumulus. I do find them a bit short, so usually buy a half size up. FWIW.

haha, I'd say you're right, as I ended up in a half size up for them as well! My other shoes are the Brooks Glycerins, which I've heard are pretty similar to the Ghosts. We're shoe buddies! lol
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    And I have been a terrible person! @midwesterner85 I completely neglected to thank you for your donation to my Run for the Wild Wildlife Conservation Society fundraiser! It is very much appreciated! :)
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    And I have been a terrible person! @midwesterner85 I completely neglected to thank you for your donation to my Run for the Wild Wildlife Conservation Society fundraiser! It is very much appreciated! :)

You're welcome, and no worries. I'm glad to help the cause.
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    So, I got two new babies on my lunch break! <3 lol

Both are new brands/models/offsets for me. I've been wanting to play around with different drops to make sure I'm working my feet/legs in different ways, and not allowing any weaknesses to develop. My normal running shoe is the Brooks Glycerin, which has a 10mm drop. Today I got the Saucony Ride 9s, with an 8mm drop, to alternate with my Brooks. For trail shoes I actually ended up with the Altra Lone Peak 3.0s, which have a 0mm drop. I know that's a big change! But, I really loved the feel of them when I tested them on the treadmill at the shop, so I'm just going to ease into them real gently. I'm already a midfoot-striker, so I think that will make it slightly less of a shocking transition, lol.

Aren't they purdy?

4a1qpxa5tfn7.jpg

@KatieJane83 That is the exact pair of Altras I'm going to get!! Same color and all! I have the Torins right now and love them. I started with Saucony that were 8mm drop. Then I got the Kinvaras with a 4mm drop. I loved those and never thought I'd be happier. Then I got the Altra Torins an started loving them on Run #3. So comfy. Anyway, they are going to be my post marathon present to myself. ;)
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    exercise.png

2/1/17 - 6 miles

2/3/17 - 12 miles
    2/4/17 - 7 miles
    2/5/17 - 7 miles

2/7/17 - 7.5 miles
    2/8/17 - 6 miles

2/10/17 - 12 miles
    2/11/17 - 4.5 miles
    2/12/17 - 7.5 miles

2/14/17 - 7 miles
    2/15/17 - 7.2 miles
    Back to back half marathons?!?

Well, my job announced they are paying for the registration for employees who want to race in the Chicago spring half marathon (or 10K, but I'd prefer the HM). My boss might work it out so I can travel up there for work so I can do the race. It's also 1 week before a half marathon trail race I planned to sign up for. Has anyone done this and if so, were you able to race both all out or did you do one at a lower intensity?

I probably don't understand racing properly, as "all out" would be too much for me to handle at a half-marathon distance. I would not be surprised to find that I could PR at both races, though, since I find a week to be ample recovery time for how I "race."

• Azercord
    Azercord Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    @KatieJane83 I had the Lone Peak 3.0 and put over 500 miles on them before retiring them to the mud run box (they will officially die in 2 weeks with back to back Spartan races) and I loved every mile, they are great shoes. Trying out the Provision 2.5s now because they were on sale :)
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    Date :::: Miles :::: Feb MTD (goal = 70)
    02/01/17 :::: 2.6 :::: 2.6
    02/02/17 :::: 3.1 :::: 5.7
    02/03/17 :::: 2.6 :::: 8.3
    02/04/17 :::: 6.8 :::: 15.1
    02/05/17 :::: 4.0 :::: 19.1
    02/06/17 :::: 3.7 :::: 22.8
    02/07/17 :::: 0.0 :::: 22.8
    02/08/17 :::: 3.3 :::: 26.1
    02/09/17 :::: 2.6 :::: 28.7
    02/10/17 :::: 3.1 :::: 31.8
    02/11/17 :::: 7.6 :::: 39.4
    02/12/17 :::: 2.5 :::: 41.9
    02/13/17 :::: 2.6 :::: 44.5
    02/14/17 :::: 0.0 :::: 44.5
    02/15/17 :::: 3.5 :::: 48.0

Decent feeling treadmill run today. Followed by a dog walk when I got home during which temps dropped by what felt like a lot and it started spitting snow chunks at me. Sidewalks are still in terrible shape from the last couple of days of snow and it's really starting to annoy me. Our "village" is supposed to clean them, we pay a lot of taxes for that, and they've been doing a terrible job. I was writing a strongly worded email in my head :) My hands are still kind of numb from being out there too. So all around feeling a bit cranky. Maybe hangry - better get dinner going.
  • OSUbuckeye906
    OSUbuckeye906 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    @dkabambe Glad to hear you've had such success with the foam roller. My gym has several kinds and I've started using them after cardio sessions and have noticed the difference. I also love using my massage stick/rolling pin before. I feel like it really helps loosen up my muscles.

@7lenny7 I'll have to give that interview a look but I definitely think there's some truth to the water/nutrition being overdone. I sometimes have a hard time figuring out how much works best for me because I have "hit the wall" before and sometimes overdo the nutrition in fear of experiencing that again but the tummy issues that come with overdoing it can be worse. I have a pretty good handle on it now but it always seems to get tricky the longer the runs get.

@jennyp I echo the recommendations of the C25K program. I'm considering asking my PT if modified version of this program would be a good guide to follow as I return to running.

@BeeerRunner I haven't done back to back half marathons (that I can remember) but I've done back to back marathons. Basically my plan was to see how my first one went and if I felt good and had a good/fast race, I would take the second one easier, which I was already anticipating because the first one (Chicago Marathon) was a lot flatter than the second (Baltimore Marathon). Well, I had a LOT of issues during the Chicago Marathon and ran it a lot slower than I wanted. It provided me the opportunity to try to fix the things that went wrong and I ran Baltimore 23 minutes faster. If you choose one race to focus on, I suggest it be the first and see how your body recovers to see what your plan of attack should be for your second race. Likely, your body will still be recovering a bit from the first race even if it feels fine and you probably have a better shot at having a good race for the first one. Just my opinion.

@KatieJane83 I'm considering buying some Saucony Rides as well to alternate with my Brooks Ghosts. I've tried them before and they were okay, not great but I may try buying them in wide width to open up the toe box a little more. Ever since I've started doing that I've had much better success with shoes.
  • OSUbuckeye906
    Options
    2/1: 2.2 miles walk, 6.3 miles bike
    2/2: Rest/PT
    2/3: 45 mins elliptical
    2/4: 10 miles bike
    2/5: 67 mins elliptical
    2/6: 9 miles bike
    2/7: 40 mins elliptical
    2/8: Rest
    2/9: 1.4 miles walk, 30 mins elliptical
    2/10: PT, 9.8 miles bike
    2/11: 1.9 miles walk/jog
    2/12: Rest
    2/13: 5.5 miles bike, 1.4 miles walk/jog
    2/14: 60 mins elliptical
    2/15: PT, 10 miles bike

TOTAL: 12/22 workout days

Had another PT session today. My regular PT is out of town, so I saw a PTA and at first I was a little irritated as she had me doing all the same exercises I've been doing at home and kept walking away to check another patient so she wasn't even watching me do the exercises much. To be fair, she said I was already doing the more advanced stuff and was doing "okay" with them but not "great" yet. However, she kind of made up for it the second half as she had me work on landing mechanics much more and showed me some new things for that. I also get to increase my running intervals to 3 minutes and if I feel good there, I can increase to 4!
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 I'll have to give that interview a look but I definitely think there's some truth to the water/nutrition being overdone. I sometimes have a hard time figuring out how much works best for me because I have "hit the wall" before and sometimes overdo the nutrition in fear of experiencing that again but the tummy issues that come with overdoing it can be worse. I have a pretty good handle on it now but it always seems to get tricky the longer the runs get.

The link I posted was to the book. The interview can be found here: http://trailrunnernation.com/2013/03/dr-tim-noakes-are-we-waterlogged/ It's over an hour long and everything he presents is based on research and first hand experience (as both a doctor and an ultra runner).

• snowyne
    snowyne Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    2/1 - 4.3
    2/2 - rest
    2/3 - 3.1
    2/4 - 5.0
    2/5 - 4.6
    2/6 - 3.1
    2/7 - 3.1
    2/8 - 6.0
    2/9 - rest
    2/10 - 5.0
    2/11 - 5.0
    2/12 - 4.0
    2/13 - 3.5
    2/14 - 5.5
    2/15 - 5.0
    Feb total: 57.2/100mi.

Finally got around to posting my treadmill miles. We got walloped with a huge blizzard on Monday!! Dropped 25 inches of snow on us & brought the state of Maine to a standstill. Definitely the worst storm we've had since 1978 (I was only 6, but I remember it!)
  • OSUbuckeye906
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »

The link I posted was to the book. The interview can be found here: http://trailrunnernation.com/2013/03/dr-tim-noakes-are-we-waterlogged/ It's over an hour long and everything he presents is based on research and first hand experience (as both a doctor and an ultra runner).

Oops, I hadn't checked out the link yet. Thanks for the link to the interview. I downloaded the podcast, so I'll check it out the next time I have a long commute.
  • Kawaiidesu808
    Kawaiidesu808 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hey all you hardcore runners, I have a question. I have been working out and getting in shape for almost a year now and part of my workout includes running at least twice a week and I absolutely hate it. I dread it every time I have to do it. I have tried to convince myself to love it or at least like, but with no luck at all. Do you have any suggestions on what the secret is to become a person that loves running?
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    February Running Totals (miles)
    2/1 – 7.00 easy
    2/2 – 2.63 easy shakedown run
    2/3 – travel day, didn't get a run in
    2/4 – 7.99 warm up on road + 8K cross country
    2/5 – travel day, didn't get a run in
    2/6 – travel day
    2/7 – 9.26 warm up, speed work, cool down
    2/8 – 7.02 group run
    2/9 – 12.03 MP intervals
    2/10 – rest day
    2/11 – 18.63 paced run + solo miles
    2/12 – 11.48 easy 90 minutes
    2/13 – rest day
    2/14 – 12.25 warm up, speed work, cool down
    2/15 – 6.62 group run

February total to date – 94.91

Nominal Challenge Goal – 225 miles
    Real Goals: Survive travel to and from Bend. Train well toward Boston. Avoid injury.

Today's notes – After yesterday's tough interval work, I wasn't ready to run again this morning. So I waited for the group run this evening, even though there was a Lake Effect Snow Advisory starting at 4 PM. I got lucky. The weather was good for running, and remained reasonable till I got home and got the car in the garage.

The group set out at its usual moderate pace, but held to moderation longer than normal. Several group members had done some outrageously tough gym workout yesterday, and found downhill running more challenging than normal. Okay, fine by me. After 5 miles, the usual suspects pulled ahead from the leader. We had been going a tad slower than I would have solo, so I went with them because I knew my way back. After a mile of that, they had picked up the pace to about 7:30. I didn't feel like running that fast, so I let them go and settled back into a nice easy 8:00 pace. As fate would have it, I caught up to them at the last stoplight, where they had kindly pressed the walk button before I got there. I hit the intersection almost in stride.

It was just a short run, and not particularly fast. But there was pleasant company, good conversation, and really nice winter running weather. Sometimes that's just what I want out of a run.

2017 races:
    January 1, 2017 Freezeroo #2 (Resolution Run 7.5 mile) (Mendon, NY) Finished in 50:45
    January 7, 2017 Winter Warrior Half Marathon (Gates, NY) Finished in 1:32:40
    January 14, 2017 Freezeroo #3 (Pineway Ponds Park 5 mile) (Spencerport, NY) Finished in 33:42
    January 28, 2017 Freezeroo #4 (Hearnish 5 mile) (Victor, NY) short course, finished 4.88 miles in 32:50
    February 4, 2017 USATF Cross Country National Championship Masters 8K (Bend, OR) Finished in 35:39, team won the 60+ Men's cross country championship
    February 11, 2017 Freezeroo #5 (Valentines Run "In Memory of Tom Brannon" 8 Mile) (Greece, NY) sat out due to training schedule
    February 25, 2017 Freezeroo #6 (White House Challenge 4.4 mile) (Webster, NY)
    March 11, 2017 Johnny's Runnin' of the Green 5 mile (Rochester, NY)
    March 18, 2017 USATF Masters 8K Championship (Virginia Beach, VA)
    April 17, 2017 Boston Marathon (Hopkinton, MA)