February 2017 Running Challenge

Replies

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited February 2017
    Azercord wrote: »
    @skippygirlsmom that really sucks but at least they found the issue and have a fairly clear path forward.

@Elise4270 just a side note you were the inspiration to finally buy a cello and start practicing. I'm horrible at it (never played a stringed instrument) but it's been fun so far.

A few years from now, I plan on branching out to learn the cello. I've always loved it. FWIW, I'm still terrible too. But I booked an online tutor and plan on setting up in the shed so I can practice more. I said I wouldn't do that, because it felt demeaning. But I think I'd like that alone time where no one but the ghost of the greats can hear me.

Sorry to hear you're sick again. That HM, with the pie? Omg! I wanna run eat that! Maybe they need help manning that station... Or a little music? EEE, EEE, EEE, eeeeee! Ta-da!
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,498 Member
    I just realized that I mis-calculated my mileage for the month.....My training plan has 148 miles plus strides set for the month. I was skipping the strides to give my leg a little more rest....looks like I'll have to get back to doing those so I can make my goal....

@MNLittleFinn does the reason for resting your legs no longer apply?

@girlinahat I think the HM you ended up with sounds like a great one! I think fate intervened and put you where you belong.

@Azercord congrats on the cello! YoYo Ma, look out!
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    @MNLittleFinn does the reason for resting your legs no longer apply?

To an extent, I was resting my leg to let it heal up, and it's been feeling much better. I have strides assigned 2 days a week, I was thinking about adding them back in 1 day a week. With the little bits farther than a mile on the end of each run, I'll probably be over my goal any way by a tiny bit anyway.

Really, the mileage foal is a secondary consideration, I also want to see how my legs handle them, and when I saw I set my goal 2 miles higher than my monthly assignment-strides, I thought that would be a way to get the extra distance back..
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Stoshew71 wrote: »

And for the life of me I can't figure out how to update my ticker now that I'm on a different computer than I made it on this afternoon. I have the link for it saved, but when I click on it, it just shows me the ticker on a black field. And when I go to the site, I only see the option to create a new ticker. Ugh.

Do you know the weblink for the ticker that you were posting that you like to update?

Yes, I copied it and have it saved in a Google Doc. Now that I'm back on the computer I set it up on (my work pc), I'm able to add the mileage, since I never closed out of the window. I just wasn't able to when I went home and went to the site.

@KatieJane83
    OK, there is a way to update your ticker on a different computer. My original post on page 1 of each month does instruct you on how to do that. I will repost here for everyone's convenience and use your ticker as an example.

I grabbed your ticker link that you recently posted: https://tickers.tickerfactory.com/ezt/t/wrejng4/exercise.png

That 'wrejng4' is what identifies your ticker that will allow you to update your ticker even on a different machine or if you are managing multiple tickers.
    Type in http://www.tickerfactory.com/exercise/wrejng4 into your browser then go to your settings page. Make sure you type your pin in that you set when you created your ticker account.
    Then where it says "Your current cumulative value, there is an add button. Just add what you just did and the cumulative value automatically changes. Then hit next.

For those of you that complain that the ticker doesn't update once you repost it here, try refreshing the page by clicking the refresh button in your browser while at the same time holding down the 'shift' key on your keyboard. You should then see your ticker with your updated mileage.

@skippygirlsmom I am so sorry about your hip ordeal. Hoping for a speedy recovery.

• skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    HonuNui wrote: »
    @skippygirlsmom : I'm so sorry....revel for the moment in Skip's runs....
    @shanaber : my first thought was that you need a pacemaker.....a second opinion is a good idea.

@honunui thank you that made me smile
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,423 Member
    I had a much better run today than yesterday. Did a 1 mile warm up, 3 miles of intervals and a short warm down. My HR was good, averaged 104, 37 before I headed out and hit 135 at the max. I even managed a 9 min pace for some of the initial intervals. Pretty typical for me.
    Happy Valentines Day everyone!
    Date........Miles........Total
    02/01......4.63........4.63
    02/02......0.00........4.63 - + Strength Training and Rally
    02/03......2.35........6.98
    02/04......0.00........6.98 - Race Expo
    02/05....13.36......20.18 - Surf City HM
    02/06......0.00......20.34
    02/07......5.23......25.57 - + Strength Training
    02/08......5.97......31.54
    02/09......5.27......36.81 - + Strength Training and Rally
    02/10......0.00......36.81
    02/11......9.30......46.11
    02/12......2.00......48.11
    02/13......5.00......53.11 - + Agility
    02/14......4.42......57.53 +Strength Training

exercise.png

My completed and upcoming Races - Let me know if you will be running too!
    02/05/17 - Surf City Half Marathon
    07/23/17 - San Francisco 1st Half Marathon
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    @skippygirlsmom I'll add my best wishes for the better outcomes with MRI findings and surgery and recovery. Hope your time out from running is as short as possible. A new hobby or other sport does sound like a way to keep from going too crazy. Keep us posted. Hope you can enjoy the HM with Skip in some fashion.

Speaking of, how's that violin progress @Elise4270? I don't think the shed is demeaning at all if it gives you some nice practice space.

@shanaber that's really a low heart rate. I thought I had (per self diagnoses) bradycardia when I was suffering from excessive and unexplained fatigue. But the sleep study doctor was not at all impressed by my resting heart rate in the low 40s. Anyway, I would definitely pursue another opinion if I were you.

@girlinahat the replacement HM sounds awesome! Too little too late, original HM! On to much cooler things.

No run today. Tuesdays have been difficult for me schedule-wise lately so have ended up being my default rest day. The weather was pretty good though today so I was a bit bummed not to have time to get out there. I took a bit of a walk at lunch to stretch my legs and wished I had brought my running clothes. Lack of a shower, though, keeps me from trying that.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited February 2017
    Speaking of, how's that violin progress @Elise4270? I don't think the shed is demeaning at all if it gives you some nice practice space.

Well, before yesterday I was afraid I sounded like a sat on cat.... I was getting tired of practicing a song, I still can not remember the name of....

Yesterday and today I'm working on Ode to Joy. Love it! It's short, one of my favorites, AND da da da dun (imagine just hearing an excerpt from The 5th)... I can actually play it! I suspect I'll have it down at some point in my life. Haha!

Maybe we need a sub thread-runners turned musical. We could have a ho-down.
  • KeepRunningFatboy
    KeepRunningFatboy Posts: 3,055 Member
    2.13.17 - 9.9 m. 9:32 pace. Beautiful February Day.
    2.14.17 - 5 m 8:30 pace.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Short run outside today. It was a bit windy, had a headwind and then terrain blocked the tailwind. I got a good workout, I guess.

exercise.png
  • 9voice9
    9voice9 Posts: 693 Member
    Got a question for the crowd-sourced knowledgebase: I was having some real soreness in my left shoulder/neck, like I'd slept on it wrong. It would ease some, but wouldn't go away. So I decided to go for a massage. I didn't look for a "sports massage" place, just went to the place where I've done mani/pedi, 'cause I knew they also did massage (not a hootchie-kootchie kinda place).

When I went in, I explained the shoulder thing, and said I'm also a runner, so also concentrate on the legs. It was a good session, and I haven't had anymore shoulder twinges. But this was Monday, and both of my runs today were more-or-less terrible - like I didn't have anything left in the tank.

For those of you who do massages regularly (or at all!), is that a normal outcome for the next day? I'm hoping that I'll be back to my usual tomorrow. But is it typical to take a day (or more?!) to get over a massage like that?
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member

exercise.png
  • OSUbuckeye906
    OSUbuckeye906 Posts: 315 Member
    @Orphia That run the world thing sounds really neat! Definitely going to check it out

@potatowhoruns and @dkabambe I actually just bought my first foam roller online the other day and it arrived in the mail today. I also bought a massage stick about a month ago. I'm not sure how I made it this long without them (maybe that's part of the reason I've been so injury prone?) but my PT has been having me use them a lot at my appointments so I thought they would be good investments

@skippygirlsmom Soooooooo sorry to hear the news about your hip :( ! I'm really glad you got it checked out before things got even worse. Sending lots of good thoughts that your MRI won't show any further damage!
    @7lenny7
    I don't know how you run so far without food or water. Not sure if it's because I'm very low on the BMI range for my height, but I feel like I hit a wall around 8 miles if I don't eat something like a gel or sport beans. I had about 6 oz or Powerade, 6 oz of water and 2 gels during my 15 mile run on Sunday!! It was in the 60s...I do tend to drink less when it's cooler.
    I agree, I need to carry fluids with me if my run is over 6 miles and will also need chews/gel if it's anything over 8 or 9 miles. I do sweat more than average though and can always see the salt in my sweat on my long runs, so I guess my body is just needing that salt/electrolytes to be replaced.

2/1: 2.2 miles walk, 6.3 miles bike
    2/2: Rest/PT
    2/3: 45 mins elliptical
    2/4: 10 miles bike
    2/5: 67 mins elliptical
    2/6: 9 miles bike
    2/7: 40 mins elliptical
    2/8: Rest
    2/9: 1.4 miles walk, 30 mins elliptical
    2/10: PT, 9.8 miles bike
    2/11: 1.9 miles walk/jog
    2/12: Rest
    2/13: 5.5 miles bike, 1.4 miles walk/jog
    2/14: 60 mins elliptical

TOTAL: 10/22 workout days

Not too much to report today. Got a long elliptical workout in at a slow/moderate pace to simulate a long run after my PT exercises. I was super tired, so I chose that over doing a shorter but more intense workout and I've been watching Jane the Virgin on Netflix, so the hour went by pretty fast.

• cchen2015
    cchen2015 Posts: 33 Member
    2/1/17----7.2miles
    2/2/17----7.8miles
    2/3/17----7.7miles
    2/4/17----8.7miles
    2/5/17----5.1miles
    2/6/17----6.5miles
    2/7/17----9.1miles
    2/8/17----6.75miles
    2/9/17----7.8miles
    2/10/17----5.3miles
    2/11/17----10.2miles
    2/12/17----6.5miles
    2/13/17----7.3miles
    2/14/17----7.6miles

exercise.png
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    February Running Totals (miles)
    2/1 – 7.00 easy
    2/2 – 2.63 easy shakedown run
    2/3 – travel day, didn't get a run in
    2/4 – 7.99 warm up on road + 8K cross country
    2/5 – travel day, didn't get a run in
    2/6 – travel day
    2/7 – 9.26 warm up, speed work, cool down
    2/8 – 7.02 group run
    2/9 – 12.03 MP intervals
    2/10 – rest day
    2/11 – 18.63 paced run + solo miles
    2/12 – 11.48 easy 90 minutes
    2/13 – rest day
    2/14 – 12.25 warm up, speed work, cool down

February total to date – 88.29

Nominal Challenge Goal – 225 miles
    Real Goals: Survive travel to and from Bend. Train well toward Boston. Avoid injury.

Today's notes – You know you're in marathon training when your warm up, speed intervals, and cool down add up to 12 miles and it isn't even close to your assigned long run distance.

Speed work on the indoor track this evening. After a 2 mile warm up, the assignment was 2 sets of (1000, 1200, 1000) at I pace with same time recovery, then 4 x 200 at R pace with 200 recovery. Coach threw a wrinkle in, 5 minutes recovery between the I sets. So instead of same time recovery for the last 1000, I got 5 minutes. That might not have been necessary between the 2 sets of I intervals, but it was definitely needed before attempting the set of 200s at R.

Some runners take the recovery as walking or standing around; I typically take mine as easy run and don't worry about being a few seconds off from exactly the same time recovery. This gives me roughly 3/4 the distance of easy running that I had at I pace, so it wasn't a shock when Garmin reported 58 minutes and 8.08 miles for the interval portion of the workout. I was pleased that I pretty much nailed my target I pace (46 seconds per 200 m) and after that generous 5 minutes recovery cranked out 4 200s at 42 seconds each. I would have thought I'd be so wiped out that 43 seconds would be tough to achieve.

It's workouts like this that make me really appreciate the cool down run. I feel like I don't even want to start, but a couple easy miles does wonders for recovering from the beating I gave myself running intervals. That, and a good stretching session. Then a hot shower and some food, and life is perfect.

2017 races:
    January 1, 2017 Freezeroo #2 (Resolution Run 7.5 mile) (Mendon, NY) Finished in 50:45
    January 7, 2017 Winter Warrior Half Marathon (Gates, NY) Finished in 1:32:40
    January 14, 2017 Freezeroo #3 (Pineway Ponds Park 5 mile) (Spencerport, NY) Finished in 33:42
    January 28, 2017 Freezeroo #4 (Hearnish 5 mile) (Victor, NY) short course, finished 4.88 miles in 32:50
    February 4, 2017 USATF Cross Country National Championship Masters 8K (Bend, OR) Finished in 35:39, team won the 60+ Men's cross country championship
    February 11, 2017 Freezeroo #5 (Valentines Run "In Memory of Tom Brannon" 8 Mile) (Greece, NY) sat out due to training schedule
    February 25, 2017 Freezeroo #6 (White House Challenge 4.4 mile) (Webster, NY)
    March 11, 2017 Johnny's Runnin' of the Green 5 mile (Rochester, NY)
    March 18, 2017 USATF Masters 8K Championship (Virginia Beach, VA)
    April 17, 2017 Boston Marathon (Hopkinton, MA)

• dkabambe
    dkabambe Posts: 544 Member
    @potatowhoruns and @dkabambe I actually just bought my first foam roller online the other day and it arrived in the mail today. I also bought a massage stick about a month ago. I'm not sure how I made it this long without them (maybe that's part of the reason I've been so injury prone?) but my PT has been having me use them a lot at my appointments so I thought they would be good investments

I would say my foam roller was definitely one of my best investments. I used to aim for two dedicated sessions a week, plus a quick one on long run days if I had time. Like everything else, that slipped during my difficult January and now really feeling it although hadn't realised until today. Probably going to aim to do daily this week as even after two sessions my left calf is still a bit knotty. Plan to get back into my regular routine next week.

NB: I also have a tennis ball and a golf ball I use for rolling the soles of my feet which works great for us runners, and helps with a few other hard to roll areas as well.
  • jennyp
    jennyp Posts: 11 Member
    I am new to this and am out of shape. What would you recommend starting with?
  • 7lenny7
    I agree, I need to carry fluids with me if my run is over 6 miles and will also need chews/gel if it's anything over 8 or 9 miles. I do sweat more than average though and can always see the salt in my sweat on my long runs, so I guess my body is just needing that salt/electrolytes to be replaced.

@OSUbuckeye906 I sweat like crazy too. On that 20 mile run I lost 8 pounds and it was only 37F. I've had a sense that the conventional wisdom of plenty of hydration and electrolytes when running is overdone, then I came across an interview with Dr. Tim Noakes, author of "Waterlogged: The Serious Problem of Overhydration in Endurance Sports" and now I'm convinced of it. Drink to thirst and you'll be fine.
  • 7lenny7
    7.8 miles today, including 10 runs up and down 0.2 mile hill.

z1etlnwyw0kc.jpeg
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,423 Member
    @9voice9 - I typically allow a day between a good (deep tissue) massage and a run for just that reason. I do try to move around, walk, stretch, yoga, etc afterwards though for that very reason. I read once that it releases lactic acid into your muscles that needs to be cleared before it feels better. I am not convinced that is the reason but delaying a run by a day or so seems to help. I have also been told to avoid the massage tents after a race because of the ill affects on your muscles... Have no idea if any of it is true or even based in any factual measurements.