WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2017

Options

Replies

• tammyclf
    tammyclf Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Hello all - I have done MFP off and on for years, but have never participated in any of the community groups. I am feeling very stuck for a number of reasons - haven't been this lazy or non-zealous in many, many years. I am 54 and have been very active many years. I will share more if this is the group I belong in! lol Without reading through to the top, can someone tell me if this group is simply a chat board to encourage each other and share tips or if everyone is doing any set exercise plan or accountability? Thank you all!
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Tammy I think we are a hybrid of what you described. We chat and encourage, we share stategies and nsv's. But many engage in challenges and plans and accountability. Many on here seriously exercise (Mary and PIP) and many try no sugar, or ketone or paleo diets, but we surely are a hybrid of women from all over the globe! We are chatty if you like that kind of thing we are your group!

NYKAREN

• spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    We had a bit of a shock today!
    Since we have been living here we have been going to a dentist in the next village who charged reasonable prices and was conservative in her treatment. (Which I liked) Her hygienist was lovely and very reasonably priced. I went every 6 months.
    Today DH went for his usual check up and was surprised to find our dentist had sold up, retired early and the new practice is charging sky high prices. He just had the check up and walked out in a huff.
    I am due to go on the 27th. I have emailed them to say that if they can't honour the price I signed up to last August then I am cancelling the appointment. I am not paying Manhattan prices in a country village! We are pensioners!

Update - The nurse/receptionist has just rung me to give me a "personal response". :) She has changed my appointment so I am only seeing the hygienist. That will be an increase, but not totally outrageous, only a third increase. The inspection used to be free, now they are charging. I know my teeth are currently fine. We hope to move house soon anyway.
    So that's a good result. The nice receptionist who obviously remembers me well, seemed very apologetic and felt she had to speak to me personally. Good for her.

Heather, satisfied in Hampshire.

Heather I have just changed dentist I was paying an insurance plan which cost about £140 per year and all I've ever needed is check up and hygienist every 6 months so I found a dentist who seems well regarded and was accepting NHS patients paid £19.70 for check up and clean, so a saving of £100 per year.

Kate UK

• fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,112 Member
    Options
    I have been MIA for a while because I was very busy setting up my Keto challenge. I hope everyone has been doing well!

Stronglift Workout B
    Squat-1X5X 55/65/75, 5X5X 80
    OHP- 1 X5X 45, 5X5X 50
    DL- 1 X5X 95/100

Kettlebell Swing
    Goblet squat-3X5X 30
    Russian kettle bell swing-25X7X 30

Keto 3 Week Challenge February 5th-25th
    Day 2! I hope everyone is doing well! The sharing of recipes is fantastic! Thanks for everybody's help! I am in ketosis and the fat is burning off of me!

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • starr68
    starr68 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I would love to be a part of this group!! I have bookmarked it
    I will also post my goals for February:

Stay on track and keep tracking my food
    Order my new elliptical so that I can start getting in some real exercise
    Be kind to myself every day even the scale isn't
    Try to make some more "friends" trying to do the same thing!
    Spend some more time with my Grandkids! :D

Starr from cold and dreary Ontario Canada!
  • tammyclf
    Options
    NYKAREN - Thank you! I am a chatty person! lol please excuse my ignorance - I'll try to catch on to acronyms - what is "nsv's"? Thank you. I live in Montana. My hubby and I hike a TON - sometimes hundreds of miles/year. Besides that, I have always tried to walk a lot and go to the gym. Because of various injuries or health issues, my exercise and diet levels go up and down, but I'm usually a fighter! I had a hip replacement in May (after dealing with it for 10+ years). It's amazing what they do. I did my first mini hike 2 weeks after replacement and was able to increase and hike all summer post-op. I kept up my fight and was doing great. Then in october, I fell off a footbridge over a creek out hiking and dislocated my shoulder and sprained my MCL in knee. I'm not sure why, but it threw me into a downward spiral of laziness! It has caused a lot of limitations in what I can do for exercise, so I started doing nothing! lol well, except we are still hiking once on the weekends. Hopefully, I can increase short hikes or walks as our days are finally extending past getting off work. but I'm trying to get my fight back, and to begin to be accountable for my diet again! it's been too long a break for me! I hope I am replying in the correct place? it's just one long thread? I don't reply directly to one comment? Feel free to correct me otherwise! Thanks all! I look forward to recognizing names and seeing what everyone is up to! and hopefully it will motivate me to have something to report! ha!
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,050 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Tammy NSV=non scale victory like passing up the candy dish in the lounge.

Gayle good to see you post. I know we keep talking about getting together. Now DH is facing major surgery so my focus will be on that for at least the next six weeks.

I heard more ice and snow on the way tomorrow. I agree with are definitely having more ice this winter. Awful.

Ann I understand the motivation to take that weight off because of the knee. I did stop gaining. I think I am finally turning the corner to get this weight off. The complication is sleep and moving as much as I used to

Heather when my dentist sold his practice my rates went up too. At first I had insurance, so it wasn't so bad.I no longer have dental insurance. Now I do put off X-rays. I will only have them every two years unless there is evidence they are needed. I do go in to the hygienist every 3-4 months. I am more apt to lose my teeth to gum disease than tooth decay. Since I started doing this my gums have greatly improved. It is expensive but cheaper than losing a tooth or extensive gum work. It is also one of the reasons I am putting off going to the doctor for my knee. I have a very high deductible and would have to pay for most of the treatment for my knee. Except for getting a shot. I am doing pretty much what would be prescribed at this point.

My DH cooks our dinner. Once he has his surgery I will be in charge. I am hoping that will make a difference too in my determination to get off this excess weight.

:heart: Margaret
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,541 Member
    Options
    M
  • tammyclf
    Options
    Thank you Margaret! I like that - NSV - those are important!
  • starr68
    Options
    tammyclf wrote: »
    NYKAREN - Thank you! I am a chatty person! lol please excuse my ignorance - I'll try to catch on to acronyms - what is "nsv's"? Thank you. I live in Montana. My hubby and I hike a TON - sometimes hundreds of miles/year. Besides that, I have always tried to walk a lot and go to the gym. Because of various injuries or health issues, my exercise and diet levels go up and down, but I'm usually a fighter! I had a hip replacement in May (after dealing with it for 10+ years). It's amazing what they do. I did my first mini hike 2 weeks after replacement and was able to increase and hike all summer post-op. I kept up my fight and was doing great. Then in october, I fell off a footbridge over a creek out hiking and dislocated my shoulder and sprained my MCL in knee. I'm not sure why, but it threw me into a downward spiral of laziness! It has caused a lot of limitations in what I can do for exercise, so I started doing nothing! lol well, except we are still hiking once on the weekends. Hopefully, I can increase short hikes or walks as our days are finally extending past getting off work. but I'm trying to get my fight back, and to begin to be accountable for my diet again! it's been too long a break for me! I hope I am replying in the correct place? it's just one long thread? I don't reply directly to one comment? Feel free to correct me otherwise! Thanks all! I look forward to recognizing names and seeing what everyone is up to! and hopefully it will motivate me to have something to report! ha!

NYKAREN; and NSV is a non-scale victory. Something you feel good about other than the number on the scale!
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    Sister passed away this morning. That's all I've got. Feeling low.
  • tammyclf
    Options
    I'm so sorry KJLaMore. I'm new here so don't know your history, but that must be a terrible loss. I can't imagine. My sympathy and hugs are all I can offer. :(

Tammy in Montana
  • tammyclf
    Options
    Barbie - I noticed you are from NW WA and have snow. My son and daughter-in-law live in Bremerton, WA and also got snow. My DIL posted a pic of a snowman she made this morning. She and my son were raised in here in Montana, so they chuckle that everything on their side is closed today.

Tammy in Montana
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    (((KELLY))) ~ So sorry for your loss.

• janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    KJ so,sorry for your loss. (((Hugs) I'll be praying for your family. <3

Janetr okc
  • starr68
    Options
    KJ I am also new here so do not know your history. I am so terribly sorry for your loss and send you good vibes.
  • teklawa1
    teklawa1 Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    KJ, so very sorry to read of your sister's death. Will keep you in my thoughts. I've been absent from our group as my husband and I are on a road trip until February 13th. I caught up on reading and wish everyone well. Especially welcome to the new posters. I'm kind of a newbie myself on this group. It has been a wonderful group for information and support. Thanks everyone,
    Betsy (NW Washington)
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    KELLY so sorry to hear your sad news sending hugs

Kate UK
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    kelly so sorry for your loss. It was so good that you had just visited. I will keep you in my thoughts. NYKAREN
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,206 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    KJ - So sorry. I know she was difficult, but she was your sister. You did your best. <3<3<3

DH persevered with contacting the practice and eventually had a long conversation with the owner. She was rattled. She tried to persuade the dentist to treat DH for half price, but no dice. We may get some publicity on local news or magazine. No normal person can afford these fees.

Kate UK - It is really hard to find an NHS dentist in this area. The nearest one is 12 miles away and usually their lists are full. It is so short sighted of the government to allow this to happen. Toothless, infected old people will be turning up at the dental hospital as emergencies. :noway:

Heather UK xxxxxxx