WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2017

Options

Replies

• margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,052 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    (((Kim))) I have a difficult older brother too. My DM wanted me to mend fences too. My way of mending fences was to wish him well as I thought of him, but like you minimized the time I spent with him for my own safety and well being. You cannot change your mother and her denial. It sounds like they are in a co-dependent relationship like my mom was with my brother. He was not violent with her, but he did go into rages and hoarded her home.I feel for your whole family and send you love. It is so hard when you fear for the safety of your mother.

Thinking about it he could be charged with elderly abuse. You would need to get a social worker involved. I know it is not the best solution. When a person like your brother is dangerous to others outside forces sometimes do need to get involved just like child abuse is reported.

Happy Valentine's to all. :flowerforyou: for all of my wonderful friends here!

:heart: Margaret
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    qy8tp3a91yli.jpg

First, Happy Valentine's Day! Or to those of you who are too silly..... Happy VD!!

Is there a way we can read a collection of one person's posts? For example, would love to check out contributions per person instead of scrolling through pages and pages. Lenora and Re, you need to write novels. Very interesting and often funny, always thought provoking. Pip, I could look at your dog and cat photos all day. Those of you going thru problems or who have joys/exercise/eating tips/recipes on a regular basis, same goes.

However, while scrolling through the pages I always happen on something I missed the first time around so it's all good!

Visit to the orthopedist yesterday: X-rays were good...plenty of padding left between the knee joints, only arthritis showing up was in the knee that doesn't hurt. So they sent me right down the hall for an MRI to see if it's something in the Meniscus. I hope it's something that resolves itself if they find anything. He said OK to keep doing low-impact stuff like walking on flat surfaces, elliptical, et. I see him again a week from tomorrow.

I see I need to find the Grammy's some day when I have time. We don't get the major TV channels anymore since we dropped satellite but it's probably on Hulu on the Roku TV. I like just about all music - don't get a chance to listen to much except what's on the radio when I'm in the car and what friends recommend. LOVE Justin Timberlake - he doesn't even have to sing to get my attention (wink) and the rendition of "Sound of Silence" by Disturbed was fantastic. I like screamy songs just fine, LOL.

To all of you on painful journeys right now, keep on keeping on and virtual ((((HUGS))))) heading your way.

Lanette
    Sunny SW WA State

• kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,846 Member
    Options
    I was lazy yesterday as far as official exercising. I did manage to clean out one of 2 closets and most of my bureau. Got about 10 bags of clothes to donate. More to do today.

Today's plan:
    Call son to check on him
    Call daughter in TN to talk about sending mail to her house
    Work on downsizing/declutter of master bedroom and bath with final goal of moving to motor home
    Drop off clothes already culled to Wellspring (Big Brother Big Sister charity)
    Sell egg gourds hopefully to craft store ( anyone want them?) garbage bag full!

Squats and yoga I hope.

Rita from CT
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,345 Member
    Options
    Did a hour of a bosu DVD. We have a Newcomer Board Meeting tomorrow so the plan is to do a Jeanette Jenkins Cardio DVD at home.

For the lady who was saying how she looked on the internet about trigger finger (I'm sorry, I don't remember who it was), did you find any other self-help remedies other than immobilizing the finger for a while

Lenora - yes, at the same target....lol Never made jams, jellies, or canned fruit. Wish I could help you

Sharon - I'm not really sure why Vince doesn't seem to want to go to FL. Maybe it's part not wanting change and part about his eyes.. But leaving earlier in the day (he likes to leave around 9, if it were up to me we'd leave around 7) would solve that. Maybe as he gets older he isn't for change like vacations. He always before never minded going down there. This is the first year. He has mentioned about the things that he needs to do to get ready. Well...do as much as you can in advance. I have most of the baking that we're going to take with us already done and in the freezer, the clothes I'm taking I have in a tub (just need to put them in a suitcase), I just don't know what this thing is this time. He's the one who really wants to go to Daytona. I just like getting away. You SHOULD be proud

katla - the first time I went target shooting, I consider myself a success...I didn't hit the ceiling and I didn't hit the floor. Last time we went I was ribbing Vince that "I hit the bullseye, you didn't" He then proceeded to shoot about 3 times in quick succession, each time hitting the bullseye. THEN he explained to me that he wasn't trying to his the bullseye, he was aiming for another part of the body.

pip - you mean those knees were worse???? ouch!!!

Rori - I'm just trying to avoid an operation for the trigger finger if I can. They did mention it to me that last time I had it, but the cortisone seems to have worked on the left hand. So I'm hoping that just keeping the finger immobilized as much as possible will do the trick for the right hand. If I still have it when we get back from FL, I'll go to the MD. Good luck with the colonoscopy. When I have to do it, that's about the only time I ever have gatorade.

Leigh in France - how nice that your hubby gave you a rosebush! If Vince wants to get me anything, he knows that I'm not crazy about chocolate so he can give me roses from Incredible Edibles. The "roses" are strawberries dipped in chocolate with a mini-marshmallow in the center. The "leaves" on the stems are lettuce.

Kate - great time for a first-time plank

gotu - so sorry about your mom. What great memories you have!

Happy Valentine's Day to everyone!

Rita - I have a magnet with a picture of a cat that says "how nice it is to do nothing all day and then nap afterwards"

Michele in NC
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    KIM ~ Hugs and prayers for you and your family. What a mess! Just don't let them pull you down to their level.

PIP ~ How did you hurt your knees? Was that when you fell at the gym. Looks so painful.

GOTU ~ Your mother was a beautiful lady.

Carol in GA
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,549 Member
    Options
    hello peeps -

thanks for the comps about my legs... years of riding and running got them there. when i was growing up, one of my nicknames was palos..in english, sticks.
  • pipcd34
    Options
    better pic of my beautiful knees coming up
  • pipcd34
    Options
  • tammyclf
    tammyclf Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    pipcd34 - OMG - I have not caught up, and this is the first thing I see! wowza! what did you do? I'm sorry - I'll read up but it might be lunch before I can! yikes! hope they heal quickly!
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,919 Member
    Options
    <3 Jake is fixing tacos using fake meat crumbles for lunch. That will be our holiday meal. When we were in line at the market yesterday we were behind a man who bought flowers, a huge box of chocolates, a plush toy, a fancy card and bottle of cinnamon whiskey. It cost $75. I thanked Jake for not spending money on bunch of unnecessary "stuff".

<3Kim, I don't know your whole family story, but I suggest that be kind, stay, detached, and stay as far away as possible.

:) Barbie from beautiful NW Washington
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,116 Member
    Options
    <3 Happy Valentine's Day <3

Stronglift Workout B
    Squats-1X5X 55/65/75, 5X5X 85
    OHP-1X5X 45/50, 5X5X 55
    DL-1X5X 95/105/115

Kettlebell Swing
    Goblet squat-3X5X 30
    Russian kettle bell swing-10 X 10 X 30

40lbs loss by May 27th Challenge
    Exercise daily and meet calorie goals!

Keto 3 Week Challenge February 5th-25th
    Dark chocolate at least 70% cacao and making some of the delicious keto recipes like the chocolate cake in a cup!

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,052 Member
    Options
    Pip ouch!