WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2017

Options

Replies

• klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Beth <3 thinking of you and sending strength to you eat husband. Hope the problem is quickly found out and dealt with. NYKAREN
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Beth dear husband! Hope all is well quickly
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    Beth... communing with you and sending good vibes. Corey's just gone into preop...

Lisa in West TX
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    Kate UK
  • solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member
    Options
    spikeyhair wrote: »
    Kate UK

hahahaha I read this TWICE as saying "Hate UK" - I was perplexed over what Great Britain had done!
  • grogers511
    grogers511 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Beth Prayers for your husband.
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    (((Beth & DH)))

(((Lisa & Cory)))

Best wishes and prayers for all of you!

Carol in GA
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,052 Member
    Options
    (((Beth))) Scary for you both!
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    We have a public home school program here in Indiana. The mother or home school coordinator keeps track of child doing home work, but a school teacher has daily conferences with parent and student. They may have several teachers with video conferences. They have home school coops where one mam may do well in science but not literature so kids go to one home for different courses. We also have a library that has science courses for science. Good thing about home school is that is on your schedule. Your PE course is a course that interests your kids. A family I knew many years ago had their kids in figure skating. Their math and higher level math were all taught in the store the family owned. We have several families in my church that home school their kids and are all part of the same sports league and they play basketball, volley ball and soccer together. They have dances together. So they have their socialization. I think many home school kids are involved in churches. My daughter wanted to home school her kids but when she got pregnant, she was enjoying her job to much devote time for home schooling. A family I know home schools their children jsut because of the curriculum. I was shocked when I found out what goes on in sex education. They are in teams and a middle school boy holds a banana on his lap and the girl has to put a condom on the banana. Some people think I may be a prude but if I had known that, I would have pulled her out of that activity. But that more than likely would have made her a victim of bullies. My nephews were home schooled but it was mainly because he didn't want to go to school. But then he would get tired of home schooling and beg to go back to school. So he didn't get a good education either way. But he did finish high school in home schooling. They can't award a diploma but he was awarded a GED, the home school coop did have a graduation for the kids.

Lots of sneezing and blowing my nose today. I am scared of blowing my nose. Do not want any nose bleed again.

Joyce, Indiana
  • gotu52
    gotu52 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Lisa thinking of you!
    Pip love what you said about your hubbie, that is how all partners need to treat each other, your words are truly beautiful
    Marcelyn glad you are o.k, and hopefully your living room stays dry
    Beth oh my, so sad to hear about your DH, sending hugs and prayers

I am looking out my window at a huge wall of snow. There is something magical about being in a warm safe house when just outside is a freezing climate.

Hugs to all!

<3 Sarah, Ontario
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    bwcetc wrote: »
    Sitting in an imaging center ... emergency MRI for husband ... he was unable to walk this morning due to pain.

Beth

Praying for your husband and you, hopefully they can find a solution to the pain he is eperiencing. (((hugs)))

Janetr okc

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,212 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Beth - Hope they find out what's wrong and can fix it. <3

Lisa - Sending good vibes for the arm/wrist <3 Hope you can get some rest.

I hope I sleep tonight. I managed 45 minutes shut eye this pm, but I'm feeling a little bit "coldy" right now. Hope I'm just tired. Got face ache.

The couple who viewed the house last week are coming for a second viewing on Friday. Unfortunately they haven't sold their house and it's only just gone on the market.

Thinking of you all.

Much love, Heather UK xxxxxxx

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,549 Member
    Options
    B
  • tammyclf
    tammyclf Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Sarah in Ontario - all that snow we've been getting? tons melted - we have 50 degrees today! what?! how did that happen?! It's sunny and 50 and I'm stuck buried under a ton of paper at work! and of course this weekend is showing snow/rain - again - rain? in Montana in February?! weird.
    I also agree with what you said about Pip and her husband - I had meant to comment on that! I totally agree, and really feel the same! We did go out for dinner last night, but only because two couples we do things with invited us. It was lovely - small mom & pop's Italian place - it was great.
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,825 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies: Pouring rain today. Horses are standing in the shelters. I think I will put their hay in the ultra slow-feed bags this afternoon to keep them busy so they don't gnaw on things they shouldn't. Maybe that is what I need, something that makes me eat really slowly. Have done yoga this morning, then bank and Costco run.

Lisa - Prayers that the doctors are exceptionally skilled and DH's wrist comes out just fine.

Beth - Prayers for your DH too. Hope they find a cause. How did you get him to medical help?

Re - I did Supartz injections in knees for over two years before doing replacements. They worked really well for me. After the first set I went to Washington DC with a group of teenagers and was able to keep up. My reason for finally getting the first knee replaced was that I was horseback riding in the Black Hills and was unable to make an emergency dismount when I probably should have. It was not pain but lack of stability.

Everyone take care, Sue in WA
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,218 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies. How is everyone? I took my students to work in the ESL classrooms today for service learning. The entire 15 months they are here they work with refugees. They are always amazed at how many refugees Omaha actually has; the largest number per capita in the country. It’s nice and sunny out and I’m just waiting for some guy to come do the water softener maintenance. So this will probably be brief.

Re: we are sure hoping for a good outcome too.

Beth that soup sounds delish!

Barbie: I like Morningside Farms too

JanetR: sending prayers for you and son

Katiebug: you look great! Now about those leggings…..are you actually brave enough to wear them? How about everyone else? I think they can look good, but I have never worn any. My best friend is in her 60s and wears them. She is slender but they just don’t look good on her.

Sharon: I think everything has sugar in it!

Karen: congrats on that loss!

Leigh: you too! That is a great loss!

Sarah: I loved your comment about how people read here. Some days I read word for word and talk to everyone and some days I have to skim. It’s nice to know people understand.

Carol: what kind of injections did you get? There is a new thing made from chicken cartilage that is pretty new and supposed to work great. Both ortho docs I have seen love it and say their patients do too.

Lisa: no matter the decision, I love that you are even thinking of running for office. Apparently, there are workshops springing up all over the country for women who want to run too. Happy news about surgery being approved.

Yvonne: good news on the weigh in!

Mintamichelle: welcome aboard!

Beth: sending prayers to you and hubby!

Joyce: glad you are doing well! No bananas in NE sex ed but maybe we need them; Douglas county (where Omaha is) has the highest rates of gonorrhea and chlamydia in the country. Who said the Midwest was boring LOL

OK gang I must go. Hubby is home so we are going to set up a facebook account to link with Benny Beagle’s go fund me page. I actually talked to someone there and basically he said if I don’t do a FB link no one will ever see the campaign unless they specifically search his name. I asked “Are you owned by FB?” I don’t think he liked that! Take care all. Meg from what must be very sexy Omaha!
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Heather: I totally agree with your comments about keeping weight off. I track calories every day. Calories In, Calories Out. ((CICO for the newbies) :star:

Dr Katie: I love the Valentine's leggings and especially your happy smile. :flowerforyou:

Karen in BC: Congratulations on the 3 lb loss! WTG!!! :smile:

Lisa: You are right not to run for office in a community that you are already planning to leave. You were at the front of the line when good sense was being handed out. :bigsmile: I hope Corey's surgery goes well and healing is swift. :flowerforyou:

Rita: You have your hands full these days! Don't skimp on rest. :(((hugs)))

Cheri: I hope you find a solution to your headaches soon. :heart:

Mintamichelle: You joined by posting. Stop by often to give and get support. :flowerforyou:

Beth: You and your DH are in my prayers. I hope all turns out well. :heart:

Sue in WA: I gave myself bursitis in my left knee during a riding lesson several years ago. It was not an operable issue and the doctor gave me exercises to strengthen my muscles & tendons. The exercises helped and I have no problems walking for long distances. I still choose not to jog while walking or post while riding, so my backside takes a pounding during trotting. I'm getting better at that, too. Posture differences make a huge impact on sit-bone comfort. :wink: :ohwell:

DH got new eye drops for the pharmacy last night. It is amazing how easy they are to administer. We'll be letting the eye doctor know how awful the ones were that he was given after surgery. He has another eye surgery coming up in March, but he also has another post op for the first eye before then.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Pip – I’ve got 4 granddaughters that I buy cards for; so what is one more. I read them, too, trying to make sure that it ‘fits’ each ones’ personality. Both sons, always find birthday cards for us that we know aren’t just ‘picked up’; but, ‘picked out’.

Beth – Sorry about you DH. I hand-delivered my MRI results from Neurologist to GP; so that I can get him to ‘explain’ things. My Neurologist’s nurse called to give me the results of my ‘labs’; started off, then said, ‘oh, sorry, wrong one, trying to do two things at once’. Well, sweetie, is THAT what you were doing when you were so ‘freaking flippant’ about my MRI? Probably so, reason I went and got the results to take to him. I used to ‘read’ hand-written medical notes in my job; but, this was Greek to me, even when I had them in my hands.

Marcelynh - I don’t think my DDnL#1 would stay off FB long enough to ‘teach’ her what she would need to learn. She calls my DOS 5 or 6 times a day and asks some of the ‘screwiest’ simplistic questions that would be pretty simple if she would ‘think’ about it for a few minutes. She gives him all what is going on with FB going. He isn't interested in it. I realize that education and intelligence are not mutually exclusive. I did not ‘mean’ that to be the way it sounded. I just don’t think she has the ‘drive’. DYGD is ‘sharp’ and it would be like pulling teeth to get her to do something if she thought she could drag her fanny to keep from doing it. I don’t think DDnL#1 would stay on her or have a ‘set period’ that is ‘school’ related.

She only ‘screams’ at them when they don’t do ‘chores’ or ‘keep their rooms clean’. I don’t think that DOS would go for this anyway. My oldest sister and several of the women in their church taught the students (children of members of the school); but, they had it set up as a ‘school setting’; and, each parent taught certain classes depending on either their education and ability and they were tested and had to meet the things that are set out, by the State of Georgia, for someone wanting to ‘home school’ their children.

One of DMGD’s friends was ‘home schooled’ by her mother last year; when she came back to school this year, she was so ‘behind’ in what the rest of the class were doing. Thankfully, the school is small enough that a teacher can spend more time with a child lagging. I just ‘think’ (personally) that there is also the socialization that kids miss that is important. Having 4 children that you home schooled might have been easier since they had one another to ‘socialize’ with. Both my nieces graduated with Honors, from the ‘homeschooling’ program as well as college.

When DDnL#1 first posted it on FB, several months ago; both my teacher-sisters said, “NO”; to her. One went so far as to tell her the pitfalls; the other went on to tell her that at some point; she would not be able to teach as she isn't that well-versed in math. But, I’m not going to say anything. Because ‘if’ I do I will start WWIII. They can do as they please … those are their children. I would not have homeschooled mine and I had a college education. I’ve know some who are home-schooled; but, they have a group of 5 or 6 ‘teachers/mothers’ and they rotate between them. There are also difference between a ‘college prep’ education and a ‘technical school’ prep education’. In this case, I don’t think my granddaughter would be able to get into college. I don’t think she will do it; I don’t think my son would agree to it. Sad thing is; she (DDnL#1) thinks that ‘everybody is snobby’ that goes to the school their kids do; so she has never attempted to try to make friends with the mothers of the kids that would be (could be) friends of their children. Therefore, ‘neither girl say they have any friends’. To ‘have’ friends, you have to ‘make’ friends and you really only get to do that ‘if’ you are around other children, either in your neighborhood or in a school setting. We live out in the country; so there are not any kids out here to ‘socialize’ with. I don’t think my DDnL#1 understands the ‘commitment’ it takes to ‘home school’ their daughter. But, all this is IMHO.

Joyce – If the home schooling involved others moms … maybe that would be different; but, in this case, being home schooled would mean she’d only be ‘isolated’ and do only what her Mom thought was important. As for PE; my DDnL#1 does ‘nothing’ that could be considered ‘physical activity’ other than text on her smart phone. They don’t go to any church. They don’t have any ‘after school’ activities.

As for the ‘sex education’ … if you are ‘old fashioned’ you are not alone. That would royally piss me off. It’s one thing to teach your own son, using a banana, to know how to put a condom on correctly; but, to have a ‘girl’ in the class do it while he held a banana? There would be so much HELL raised by me … the teacher would not have a job.

I can’t remember what it was that my DDnL#2 said went on in one of DOMGD’s class; but, when she came home from school and casually ‘said something about it’ … she said, ‘do what’??? She called the principal as well as the ‘owner’ of the school (a Charter School) … and raised HELL about it … something I think about ‘abortion’ … and DDnL#2 said that her daughter did not even know about sex; 5th grade. She told them that she had had talks with her about starting her cycle … but ‘abortion’? That was totally uncalled for and unprofessional – even ‘if’ she taught sex education … that should have been held off until HS, at the earliest, and should be something that the parents have some say-so if their child(ren) were involved in.

I do remember, being in HS; and, the county nurse coming to talk to the ‘girls’ and then the ‘boys’ (not together) about ‘sex’ and I also remember several girls running out of the class when they showed videos of what ‘sexually transmitted diseased’ to ‘if left untreated’ … what you are supposed to do ‘if’ diagnosed with one. I lived in a small town; but, our HS was definitely 'geared' more towards 'college prep'; but, it also had FFA, FHA, and a big 'technical school/farming' prep education because so many kids that went would end up taking over their family's farm. We also had a 'teaching college' in town and they came to school to work as a part of their own education. Teacher helpers ... elementary, middle, and HS.

It had a full marching band, football, basketball, wrestling, drama club, choir, and we participated in local, region, district, and state competitions in all areas. But, to each his own.

Lenora