Metabolism help needed. $$$ money is on the line $$$

Options

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    LokiiDokii wrote: »
    Everyone has already said something about putting your health first, so no more of that from me!

Try drinking green tea throughout the day and also drinking at least 8 full glasses of water everyday. Cut out all sodas! :)

The metabolic effects of green tea are MINISCULE.
    http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/features/health-benefits-of-green-tea

Staying hydrated is not one-size-fits-all.

Cut out sodas? Sorry, but unless they bring you over your daily calorie goal....sodas (regular or diet) are fine.
  • HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    There's not really any way to "jump start" or "speed up" your metabolism, so why NOT recommend things that are *actually helpful* for someone trying to lose weight...
  • ladypew
    ladypew Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Exercise wise I'm not great at sticking to it. I think however one of the best exercises for all round fitness is swimming. If I was able to swim I'd definitely be doing it. Green or Pureh tea helped my digestion -also a warm cup of water with a lemon is also good for your digestion. I'm useless for drinking water but it does really help (maybe try a sugar free cordial/squash with it). I've lost 30lbs by just reducing calories and eating smaller portions (not piling up my plate). Spicy food also helps with that feeling of fullness and is low in calories and tasty. EG hot salsa is about 30kcal per 100g. Anyway, good luck with your bet and weight loss.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    There's not really any way to "jump start" or "speed up" your metabolism, so why NOT recommend things that are *actually helpful* for someone trying to lose weight...

I did: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/38781813/#Comment_38781813
  • HardcoreP0rk
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

I did: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/38781813/#Comment_38781813

Ok. Be helpful. And don't be presumptuous and dismissive of helpful advice when you assume there's some fad science in it. It's like you're just itching to condescend to someone.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

Ok. Be helpful. And don't be presumptuous and dismissive of helpful advice when you assume there's some fad science in it. It's like you're just itching to condescend to someone.

Not at all. Just trying to help people not waste their time, money and effort on things that won't make any significant difference. Majoring in the minors isn't helpful or productive.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    Options
    JakeL1981 wrote: »
    I have access to a rowing machine and a stationary bike at my office that started using on Thursday and Friday. I am going to put at least 30 minutes of hard work in on those two machines every day before i head home Monday through Friday. Ill also do 30 minutes of cardio at home on Saturday and Sunday to keep the extra burn going. I am committed to this and will push harder the further along i get.

Do you have access to an outdoor bike? This will be controversial, but in my opinion they're better for weight loss than indoor bikes. The reason is that they're more fun, so you're more likely to use them. Weight loss is a tortoise and the hare kind of thing, it isn't one monumental effort, it's consistency over time. You might burn 200 kCal in a half hour on a stationary bike, but you might have a better time on an outdoor one and stay out a full hour or more.

I'd also suggest looking for hiking trails, canoe rental, etc. You still get calorie credit if you're having fun. :smile:

This is certainly true for me. I struggle to last 10 minutes on the bike in the gym but I can happily spend hours on cardio outdoors.
  • icunurse43235
    icunurse43235 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Build muscle. It helps use energy!
  • Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    Options
    I feel like your health should be a much bigger driver than $100.

But yet it still doesnt work as well for me as money either lol
  • HardcoreP0rk
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    JakeL1981 wrote: »
    I have access to a rowing machine and a stationary bike at my office that started using on Thursday and Friday. I am going to put at least 30 minutes of hard work in on those two machines every day before i head home Monday through Friday. Ill also do 30 minutes of cardio at home on Saturday and Sunday to keep the extra burn going. I am committed to this and will push harder the further along i get.

Do you have access to an outdoor bike? This will be controversial, but in my opinion they're better for weight loss than indoor bikes. The reason is that they're more fun, so you're more likely to use them. Weight loss is a tortoise and the hare kind of thing, it isn't one monumental effort, it's consistency over time. You might burn 200 kCal in a half hour on a stationary bike, but you might have a better time on an outdoor one and stay out a full hour or more.

I'd also suggest looking for hiking trails, canoe rental, etc. You still get calorie credit if you're having fun. :smile:

This is certainly true for me. I struggle to last 10 minutes on the bike in the gym but I can happily spend hours on cardio outdoors.

I dont think thats controversial at all. I think there's a lot to doing fun things over just functional drudgery. I play in two soccer leagues year round and it's a huge benefit for me. Then again, I'm an athlete who does speedwork weekly (HIIT) and likes things that are beneficial AND make me feel good.. so maybe I'll just defer to the body comp experts who weigh themselves daily and travel around with a food scale...
  • HardcoreP0rk
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Build muscle. It helps use energy!

While not very precise, this is true! OP, since you don't have ready access to gym equipment, I've added some bodyweight exercise links. Should give you some fun stuff to try and it will be challenging enough until you've progressed considerably.

http://darebee.com/workouts.html

http://www.mensfitness.com/training/build-muscle/15-best-bodyweight-exercises-men

ETA: the men's fitness page lists ab rollouts. I really do no like those and do not recommend them.
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    I'm doing a 6 month Diet Bet, and it's hugely motivating for me. I *hate* to lose. Being in a competition works wonders (although in mine, everyone can win - it's just that everyone won't and I want to take their money).

Definitely focus on maximizing calorie output and controlling calorie input. The threat of losing my money definitely gets my butt moving on days I don't really want to, and makes me think twice about what I eat. I'd recommend Diet Bet to anyone that wants an extra layer of motivation.
  • HardcoreP0rk
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »
    Regarding a few of the recommendations in this thread:

HIIT is fine if you enjoy it however my experience is that most people who are significantly overweight do FAR better on low intensity steady state cardio and additionally selecting modalities with minimal joint impact. HIIT tends to be better suited for athletes who don't typically have to worry as much about weight management or adherence.

I feel like, for someone who is a significantly overweight non-athlete... c25k is basically their version of HIIT. You think that's fair?

• SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    If you wanted real motivation you should have bet your firstborn.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    Eating several small meals per day instead of one large meal will help the metabolism. If your body thinks it never gets food, it will hold on to what it gets when it finally gets it. Once it is used to being fed every couple of hours, it will burn it because it knows it will be fed in a couple of hours again. Also, if you go all day without eating, you will tend to overeat just because you haven't had anything all day. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day and can jumpstart your metabolism.

All myth.

All sound bites from common phrases passed around without a bit of science to back it up.

Sorry.

Nope, sorry. It worked for me!

Worked for you and everyone else who convinced themselves the loss was due to making things overly complicated instead of the fact they just eating at a deficit as well.

And breakfast is irrelevant.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

HIIT is fine if you enjoy it however my experience is that most people who are significantly overweight do FAR better on low intensity steady state cardio and additionally selecting modalities with minimal joint impact. HIIT tends to be better suited for athletes who don't typically have to worry as much about weight management or adherence.

I feel like, for someone who is a significantly overweight non-athlete... c25k is basically their version of HIIT. You think that's fair?

With no disrespect intended, no I don't think that's fair at least insofar as how I'd communicate the recommendation to someone.

In practice they could be similar if someone needs to walk intermittently between jogging but by design these are quite different.
  • HardcoreP0rk
    Options

With no disrespect intended, no I don't think that's fair at least insofar as how I'd communicate the recommendation to someone.

In practice they could be similar if someone needs to walk intermittently between jogging but by design these are quite different.

Very true.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    On the C25K, speaking as someone of similar size to the OP, I don't think I could have been successful at it when I was 300+. Maybe others are different, but I had enough issues doing my treadmills intervals at that weight and did not start it until I was about 275. I would walk more, with light jogging first but I'm in week 5 and next I'll be jogging for 20 mins and I could not have done this if I started 2 months earlier.

But listen to @SideSteel He is smarter than most of us on this topic.