Metabolism help needed. $$$ money is on the line $$$

Options

Replies

• CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    www.webmd.com/diet/ss/slideshow-boost-your-metabolism

A WebMD slideshow is an acceptable source to back up your claim. Showing us a peer-reviewed scientific study
    that supports your statement and maybe we'll be willing to listen.

(Hint: I've yet to see a peer-reviewd scientific study that supports your statement)
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Ahh - the old problem of someone calling everything you burn in a day "metabolism" - when that is actually a specific term.
    They are merely cowing to the faddish terms rather than trying to educate.

Basal and Resting metabolism (BMR, RMR) - is not the same thing as your body producing more heat because it's processing food you just ate (TEF - Thermal Effect of Food), nor being more active each day (NEAT - Non-Exercise Activity), nor exercise (EAT - Exercise Activity).

About the only thing in there truly raising the metabolism - is the recovery for repair after a good strong lifting workout that actually tears the body muscle down.

And even the cardio type they promote is merely as close to lifting as cardio can get you.

Even the water aspect is merely the effects of the water being drunk - which if that is thought of as raising metabolism - so should eating more calories daily which causes more processing to be done.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    Options
    BlueHorse8 wrote: »
    I agree with rebeccatackett. 5 or 6 small meals, eating every 2 1/2 to 3 hours does work.
    Sorry, it doesn't speed up metabolism. May keep people from getting hungry, but that's not the same thing as raising metabolic rate.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    I can eat breakfast and skip all snacks and lunch and eat a larger dinner or I can eat all 3 meals and several snacks a day.I lose the same because Im in a deficit.I also do IF most of the time and weight loss is still the same as it was. I havent noticed anything any different with the different way of eating. so if it worked that way for everyone it would work for me. it hasnt.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    Options
    OP, burn more calories with longer duration, higher intensity and focusing on lifts that use the largest muscles of your body.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Buff_Daddy_Regie
    Buff_Daddy_Regie Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Don't rush things because of that $100.think of the reason why you took this journey.$100 won't be even enough if something happens to you..
    You said your doing for yourself and your family, you're wrong man you're doing for your pride as a man that won't accept defeat for just a $100 dollars..
    If you really wanna win that $100 dollars bet get a liposuction I'm just saying..
  • jpereira1964
    jpereira1964 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    try paleo...........I have been very successful with paleo, I used to wt 322. I find Paleo has a ton of variety never get bored. Food is 80% and workout is 20% Working out is very important part of the journey.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    JakeL1981 wrote: »
    Wow. Learning a lot here. Let me be clear. Not using the 100 bucks to put myself in a bad position. 100 bucks is a reminder that the other guy might be working out when i have Netflix on. I'm in this for the long haul. As you all have mentioned there are a lot of myths out there that i obviously did not know about and started this thread. Im focused on maintaining calorie deficit and exercising not doing anything over the top and crazy. Thanks for all your input.

why worry about what the other guy is doing? worry about what YOU are doing. work out for YOU not because someone else is.when you start comparing yourself to others it puts you in a bad place.
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    Wow. Learning a lot here. Let me be clear. Not using the 100 bucks to put myself in a bad position. 100 bucks is a reminder that the other guy might be working out when i have Netflix on. I'm in this for the long haul. As you all have mentioned there are a lot of myths out there that i obviously did not know about and started this thread. Im focused on maintaining calorie deficit and exercising not doing anything over the top and crazy. Thanks for all your input.

why worry about what the other guy is doing? worry about what YOU are doing. work out for YOU not because someone else is.when you start comparing yourself to others it puts you in a bad place.

There's a difference between comparing yourself to someone else and a friendly competition. And I'm pretty sure OP's bet is about the latter.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,126 Member
    Options

Because competition is not always a bad thing. It fits well with many people, in particular many men.