Metabolism help needed. $$$ money is on the line $$$

Options
Ok all of you health and fitness pros out there. I need to get the furnace fired up at a higher rate and maximize my calorie burn while staying under my calorie count. I started dieting on 1/1/17. My current amount of calories to stay under in 1949 per day. Im a almost 6'-2" so i rounded down to 6'-1" and started at 321 lbs. Ive made my way down to 306. Ive just switched to a calorie counting diet from low to no carbs because i was already getting burned out on only eating meats, eggs, cheeses and some vegies. After staying stuck at 307 for 2 weeks I have entered into a $100 wager with a colleague to become motivated to start and stick with working out.

We will have our weigh-in for the money in 2 months. Whoever loses the most weight takes all the cash. He started off around 320 and his made it down to 300 over a longer period of time than myself but we are pretty close for comparison.

This bet started 3 days ago on Wednesday. I am committed and determined that I'm not going to lose that $100.00. I will lose the most weight. I have access to a rowing machine and a stationary bike at my office that started using on Thursday and Friday. I am going to put at least 30 minutes of hard work in on those two machines every day before i head home Monday through Friday. Ill also do 30 minutes of cardio at home on Saturday and Sunday to keep the extra burn going. I am committed to this and will push harder the further along i get.

I am looking to maximize my efforts and fire up my metabolism. Any tips, advise, even coaching will be appreciated.

If you want to follow along on this $100.00 challenge feel free to add me.

Replies

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    JakeL1981 wrote: »
    When the "man, had a long day, i just want to get home and relax. I can work out tomorrow" thought starts creeping in the $100.00 on the line is a reminder.

I'm not losing weight for $100 I'm doing this for my family and myself.

yes but your health needs to come first too. what happens if you try losing it too fast and something happens to you? in 2 months a lot can happen if you try and go to extremes especially if you are under eating and overexercising. where will your family be then?
  • JakeL1981
    JakeL1981 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Not looking for a product to use for metabolism rate increase looking to see if there are any techniques for men. What's foods help increase rate, how much water do i need to be consuming, is there a higher rate combo of when i should eat before working out or after, eat this kind of breakfast, do not eat anything after this time, general parameters or guidance for a better performing metabolism.
  • dajoloehr
    dajoloehr Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Look into OMAD,I love it. I'm sure others have their opinions, but do some research and see if it will work for you :)
  • JakeL1981
    Options
    Hi Tracey,
    Thanks for your comment. I really need to step up my water game if i need to be drinking 150 ounces plus. Im probably only drinking half that.

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    dajoloehr wrote: »
    Look into OMAD,I love it. I'm sure others have their opinions, but do some research and see if it will work for you :)

And how is one meal a day supposed to "speed up metabolism"... since this is what he is looking for.
    I would like to hear the science behind this

+1
  • JakeL1981
    Options
    All good thoughts and ideas. I realize we are all individuals, everyone's body reacts differently, and it takes hard work for progress.
  • JakeL1981
    Options
    I think 100 ounces is very doable and a good starting point
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    I think your edge needs to come from accuracy in logging (as described above) and consistency. Don't let a wager push you to do anything unwise, like slashing calories to unhealthy levels or pushing yourself too hard in exercise. An injury would definitely slow your progress. :(
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,126 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    To add. The reason that you cannot increase your metabolism is people's bodies do a very good job regulating metabolism. When something speeds up a person's metabolism, to protect their body's proper functioning, very quickly it adjusts to the stimulation to get back to normal. Usually such increases are from something causing irritation to the body, and as I said the body adapts to it quickly. More often than not, a speed up in ones metabolism from an external cause is seen as a disease condition, not a healthy thing. I am not sure why people think they need their metabolism to speed up, but it is not the issue and other than in people with diagnosed medical conditions, does not need to be fixed.
  • LokiiDokii
    LokiiDokii Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Everyone has already said something about putting your health first, so no more of that from me!

Try drinking green tea throughout the day and also drinking at least 8 full glasses of water everyday. Cut out all sodas! :)