Metabolism help needed. $$$ money is on the line $$$

Options

Replies

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    JakeL1981 wrote: »
    Wow. Learning a lot here. Let me be clear. Not using the 100 bucks to put myself in a bad position. 100 bucks is a reminder that the other guy might be working out when i have Netflix on. I'm in this for the long haul. As you all have mentioned there are a lot of myths out there that i obviously did not know about and started this thread. Im focused on maintaining calorie deficit and exercising not doing anything over the top and crazy. Thanks for all your input.

why worry about what the other guy is doing? worry about what YOU are doing. work out for YOU not because someone else is.when you start comparing yourself to others it puts you in a bad place.

Because competition is not always a bad thing. It fits well with many people, in particular many men.

well Im sorry if I took it out of context, just shoot me. I'm just not a competitive person,I dont see the point but thats me.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Do you drink coffee? Caffeine is in nearly all the so called metabolism boosters on the market. A couple cups of black coffee does the same thing.

Compliance to your daily calorie goal will help the most.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    BlueHorse8 wrote: »
    I agree with rebeccatackett. 5 or 6 small meals, eating every 2 1/2 to 3 hours does work.
    Not for me. Nope. All it did was cause me to eat more to the point where I'd go way over my calories and binge.

IF works for me and my digestive system: a coffee protein, pre work put shake, dinner then dessert.

The difference is that I don't claim how I eat to work for everyone.

Also, metabolisma run 24/7. No need to rev it or jump start it. We are not cars.

See? Blanket statements just don't work.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    BlueHorse8 wrote: »
    I agree with rebeccatackett. 5 or 6 small meals, eating every 2 1/2 to 3 hours does work.

Sure, it works for you and other people, but not for everybody.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    www.webmd.com/diet/ss/slideshow-boost-your-metabolism

A WebMD slideshow is an acceptable source to back up your claim. Showing us a peer-reviewed scientific study
    that supports your statement and maybe we'll be willing to listen.

(Hint: I've yet to see a peer-reviewd scientific study that supports your statement)

Do you mean it's not an acceptable source? If so, I agree. Peer reviewed articles work much better.
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    www.webmd.com/diet/ss/slideshow-boost-your-metabolism

A WebMD slideshow is an acceptable source to back up your claim. Showing us a peer-reviewed scientific study
    that supports your statement and maybe we'll be willing to listen.

(Hint: I've yet to see a peer-reviewd scientific study that supports your statement)

Do you mean it's not an acceptable source? If so, I agree. Peer reviewed articles work much better.

OMG, yes! I definitely meant "not acceptable". Great catch. Shame we only have an hour long window to edit a reply... :|
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
  • wdwernychuk
    wdwernychuk Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey there. Have you thought about Ketogenics? Seems to work very well. I get the whole burned out thing from low to no carb, but likely you aren't eating enough fat to give you the energy you need. Do some research and see if it might be something that you could try. I see lots of great success with this type of eating plan. Not something you stick to over the long term but maybe for a couple of months?
    Seems to have worked for me. Good luck whatever you choose to do!
  • dajoloehr
    dajoloehr Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    First weigh-in. Me 3 lbs lost. Challenger 0 lbs lost. Next update on monday.

All that and you enjoyed your lasagna :)
  • HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Not looking for a product to use for metabolism rate increase looking to see if there are any techniques for men. What's foods help increase rate, how much water do i need to be consuming, is there a higher rate combo of when i should eat before working out or after, eat this kind of breakfast, do not eat anything after this time, general parameters or guidance for a better performing metabolism.

16 oz of water as soon as you wake up. Cardio in the am before work.
  • HardcoreP0rk
    Options
    How do you work out? If you are looking for better results than what you're currently seeing, maybe try HIIT. It's not magic or anything, but I feel like it helps people really increase their workout intensity without burning out or getting injured.
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,181 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    as
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    I am under the impression, to increase one's metabolism, one needs to have snacks between meals. So your metabolism is always doing something.

Your metabolism is always doing something no matter what. If you eat larger meals less often, they take more time to digest because there's more food. If you eat smaller meals more often, they take less time to digest because there's less food. If I'm going to drive my car on a trip which will take a full tank of gas, it doesn't matter whether I start off with a full tank and drive until it's empty or start off with 1/8 of a tank and stop to get gas 8 times during the trip.

Your digestive system isn't your entire metabolism - there's much more to it than that and it has plenty to do to keep your body running. If your metabolism isn't working, it means you're dead - and in that case you have other things to worry about besides how much/how often to eat. Or no problems at all, depending upon how you look at it.
  • chicoreq
    chicoreq Posts: 2 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    If you are looking to lose weight by jump starting your metabolism then the first thing you need to do is eat more. Your body has to protect itself so if you don't feed it enough for the amount of work you are doing then you cannot lose weight. a common misconception is if I eat less then I can ultimately weigh less, not always true.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    16 oz of water as soon as you wake up.
    Which will do exactly nothing in terms of speeding up your metabolism or digestive system.

Cardio in the am before work.
    There's no clear studied/proven benefit to fasted cardio.

How do you work out? If you are looking for better results than what you're currently seeing, maybe try HIIT. It's not magic or anything, but I feel like it helps people really increase their workout intensity without burning out or getting injured.
    EPOC is vastly overstated and in the end, largely irrelevant. Not to mention the fact that what most people consider HIIT really isn't HIIT. It's a term which has been commercialized and hugely watered down. It's also worth taking into consideration that true HIIT workouts are very uncomfortable and/or downright painful, which creates adherence issues with many people.

As to decreasing chances of injury, that depends on the modality of your HIIT workouts. It may reduce the risk of chronic (overuse type) injuries, but can also increase the risk of acute (muscle pulls/tears, etc.) type injuries. One scenario which comes to mind to illustrate that would be distance running vs. sprint intervals.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,971 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    chicoreq wrote: »
    If you are looking to lose weight by jump starting your metabolism then the first thing you need to do is eat more. Your body has to protect itself so if you don't feed it enough for the amount of work you are doing then you cannot lose weight. a common misconception is if I eat less then I can ultimately weigh less, not always true.

no. Nice try on that first post though.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,126 Member
    Options
    chicoreq wrote: »

As has been stated repeatedly in this thread, metabolism does not need to be jump started. OP is losing just fine with a calorie deficit. As to your statements, that would be a good way for him to stop losing weight. When a person is in a calorie deficit they will lose weight until they are at a point where there is nothing left to lose, then the body will start shutting down things to try to survive. We have a word for that, "stavation".

No adaptation is going to happen to the OP that will stop him losing if he maintains a calorie deficit. However, what he loses, that is how much is fat and how much is muscle, is going to be affected by how severe the calorie deficit is. Too large a deficit will result is lots of lean mass loss from muscles in particular.
  • HardcoreP0rk
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    16 oz of water as soon as you wake up.
    Which will do exactly nothing in terms of speeding up your metabolism or digestive system.

Cardio in the am before work.
    There's no clear studied/proven benefit to fasted cardio.

EPOC is vastly overstated and in the end, largely irrelevant. Not to mention the fact that what most people consider HIIT really isn't HIIT. It's a term which has been commercialized and hugely watered down. It's also worth taking into consideration that true HIIT workouts are very uncomfortable and/or downright painful, which creates adherence issues with many people.

As to decreasing chances of injury, that depends on the modality of your HIIT workouts. It may reduce the risk of chronic (overuse type) injuries, but can also increase the risk of acute (muscle pulls/tears, etc.) type injuries. One scenario which comes to mind to illustrate that would be distance running vs. sprint intervals.

I didnt recommend fasted cardio. I just recommend doing it in the morning. It improves your energy and focus throughout the day, is correlated with better workout adherence in general (long work days dont get in the way if you do it first thing), and you will typically sleep better (as opposed to doing it in the evenings).

Ok, so maybe HIIT is a bit too broad. I can't really be overly prescriptive without knowing more about what kind of exercise is happening at the baseline. And seriously, I never touted the benefits of EPOC. I just find that, with many people, HIIT is a good way to burn more calories overall with increased intensity.

• Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    What @AnvilHead said on the last page.

I'm ahead of you. Down from 330 to 265 (6 feet tall) and his post is great advice. Now I'm wishing I had put some money on the weight loss :)