Crystal light or diet soda?

Options
1235»

Replies

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    Neither. Both trick your body's insulin response and you end up storing weight. Yes diet drinks make you gain weight. Drink water. Add lemon or cucumber if you don't like the taste.

Yup - agreed - lots of evidence (i.e. real scientific papers) on this. Sweeteners (depending on which ones) do affect insulin levels. The others just keep you used to wanting sweet things (psychological) and make it that much harder...

As suggested above - water is best and if you need something in it - a few slices of fruit :)

And now let the flame wars begin.

There is no research showing this!

You cannot gain fat without a calorie surplus.

You are correct - you cannot gain fat without calorie surplus (in general). No discussion there...

Where there is confusion is that artificial sweeteners affect insulin levels. There is a mechanism that insulin resistance (type 2) is negatively affected by sweeteners and that puts weight on.

There is also evidence that the flora and fauna of your gut has a large roll to play in metabolism. There is evidence that sweeteners affect the flora/fauna in your gut. This could have a direct reflection on weight gain etc.

The problem is, we just don't know enough about it all and there is contradictory evidence at times.

It's up to the reader to make their own mind up.

How did I miss this?

If there's fauna in my gut, I have bigger problems than wondering about what I'm drinking.

Well, my organic chemistry teacher kept talking about "yeasty beastys" so maybe you have those fauna????

Yeast is considered flora not fauna

Yeast is a fungus so is neither. I was making a funny.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    im grateful for this thread iv been drinking pop all day trying to rehydrate hadnt realized it wasnt diet pop until i finished half my 2L LOL *kitten* me.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Lost over eighty pounds and I never gave up my diet soda. Not before or since. I am a Type 2 in remission.

Every diabetic working on control is very sensitive to what foods raise their sugar levels and which don't. Diet soda is a zero. Rice on the other hand....
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Neither. Both trick your body's insulin response and you end up storing weight. Yes diet drinks make you gain weight. Drink water. Add lemon or cucumber if you don't like the taste.

Yup - agreed - lots of evidence (i.e. real scientific papers) on this. Sweeteners (depending on which ones) do affect insulin levels. The others just keep you used to wanting sweet things (psychological) and make it that much harder...

As suggested above - water is best and if you need something in it - a few slices of fruit :)

You are correct - you cannot gain fat without calorie surplus (in general). No discussion there...

Where there is confusion is that artificial sweeteners affect insulin levels. There is a mechanism that insulin resistance (type 2) is negatively affected by sweeteners and that puts weight on.

There is also evidence that the flora and fauna of your gut has a large roll to play in metabolism. There is evidence that sweeteners affect the flora/fauna in your gut. This could have a direct reflection on weight gain etc.

The problem is, we just don't know enough about it all and there is contradictory evidence at times.

How did I miss this?

If there's fauna in my gut, I have bigger problems than wondering about what I'm drinking.

It was my favorite part of the thread.

OP, drink whichever you prefer.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

Dead wrong
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

So basically it does not matter if you are in a calorie deficit which is what everyone is saying...
  • EternalSnow627_
    EternalSnow627_ Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    If I drink water and want flavor I will add crystal light in my water bottle. Their little packets. They don't have sugar in them and their only 5 calories each. So not bad at all. Nothing is wrong with diet soda or crystal light. Just drink what u like