Cutting refined sugar feels like death

Options

Replies

• Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    fatblatta wrote: »
    Check out the book Obesity Code. Easy read. I gave up all sugar, artificial sweeteners, and processed carbs which turn into sugar. Including beer, which was nearly impossible! I don't miss the sweet stuff. Now anything with sugar tastes way too sweet. It depends on your goals and weight. If you're a little fat some sugar won't kill you. If you are a huge fat person, prediabetic or type 2 diabetic give that sweet death up.

Cheers
    All carbs get broken down into sugar. Hope you haven't given up vegetables.
    vingogly wrote: »
    jmp463 wrote: »
    What if the guy just wants to give up sugar????? Some of you make it sound like a crime. Its no big deal - cut out sugar if you want. You dont have to cut it 100% but its not going to harm anything if you do. It might take a few days to a couple of weeks to get use to it. I swear some you just follow this thing all day and wait for the first chance to type your condescending views.

What do you expect will happen when someone titles a thread "Cutting refined sugar feels like death", asks about his supposed "withdrawals", posters start on the "addiction" B.S. again (some here are former addicts or have worked with addicts, and know what addiction looks like), and people start promoting the usual broscience nonsense you see in this forum?

I think he wanted to provoke a battle, and he got what he wanted. Silence in the face of misinformation that may potentially do damage to people does no one any good.

I didn't see it that way at all. I saw a poster describe how he felt when he cut his sugar consumption. I can relate. Are we misattributing the cause for the crappy way we felt? Maybe. I will say that it's a tough connection for me to give up but I haven't found a ton of science backing up my ideas.

I think discussing the science around it all is important. But I don't get the level of aggression I see here sometimes.
    I think you're projecting aggression where there's actually just a simple objection to misinformation.
    What if the guy just wants to give up sugar????? Some of you make it sound like a crime. Its no big deal - cut out sugar if you want. You dont have to cut it 100% but its not going to harm anything if you do. It might take a few days to a couple of weeks to get use to it. I swear some you just follow this thing all day and wait for the first chance to type your condescending views.

What do you expect will happen when someone titles a thread "Cutting refined sugar feels like death", asks about his supposed "withdrawals", posters start on the "addiction" B.S. again (some here are former addicts or have worked with addicts, and know what addiction looks like), and people start promoting the usual broscience nonsense you see in this forum?

I think he wanted to provoke a battle, and he got what he wanted. Silence in the face of misinformation that may potentially do damage to people does no one any good.

I didn't see it that way at all. I saw a poster describe how he felt when he cut his sugar consumption. I can relate. Are we misattributing the cause for the crappy way we felt? Maybe. I will say that it's a tough connection for me to give up but I haven't found a ton of science backing up my ideas.

I think discussing the science around it all is important. But I don't get the level of aggression I see here sometimes.

I see an enhanced aggression now compared to two or three years ago. Have you ever challenged CICO?

I've noticed that your posting style is different than it was 2 or 3 years ago. Might have something to do with it.
  • fatblatta
    fatblatta Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    johnwelk wrote: »
    Riskay123 wrote: »
    I don't see any issue with eating fruit in moderation. Yes, it does contain fructose but it also has fibre and other vitamins and minerals which slow down the liver processing it.
    Some fruits are higher in fructose than others. Bananas are very high as opposed to berries or kiwi fruit.Fructose from table sugar, honey, maple syrup etc are the problem as it hits the liver straight away and the liver converts to fatty acids very quickly.
    I would like to see a change in food labelling laws so you can easily tell if something that has been packaged has added sugar. At the moment in Australia, you can not easily tell if the sugar has been added or it if is naturally occurring. Milk is a great example. If you looked at the sugar content of milk on the label you would think that the sugar content is quite high but the type of sugar in milk is lactose, not fructose and your body processes this type of sugar very differently. So the sugar in milk is not bad for you. I can make an informed decision in relation to fat content when I pick up packaged food because I can see the different types of fats listed. I can't do that with sugar which is very frustrating. I know giving up sugar isn't for everyone but some people are trying to "do the right thing" it is very hard if you don't have the right information.

Nah.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3533803/

Stop linking to decent, peer-reviewed scientific studies. It does nothing but educate people on both reality and critical thinking skills.

Geez.

The authors are employed full time by Archer Daniels Midland Company (ADM). ADM is a major oilseed and grain commodity processor and produces, among other products, fructose-containing sweeteners.

Unbiased helps too

I find this funny after you advertise a book written by Jason Fung.

SC, I was thinking the exact same thing.

Did either of you read the book?
  • fatblatta
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    Check out the book Obesity Code. Easy read. I gave up all sugar, artificial sweeteners, and processed carbs which turn into sugar. Including beer, which was nearly impossible! I don't miss the sweet stuff. Now anything with sugar tastes way too sweet. It depends on your goals and weight. If you're a little fat some sugar won't kill you. If you are a huge fat person, prediabetic or type 2 diabetic give that sweet death up.

Cheers
    All carbs get broken down into sugar. Hope you haven't given up vegetables.

I think you're projecting aggression where there's actually just a simple objection to misinformation.

I see an enhanced aggression now compared to two or three years ago. Have you ever challenged CICO?

I've noticed that your posting style is different than it was 2 or 3 years ago. Might have something to do with it.

I eat more veggies now than before I went low carb. But no sugar or processed carbs.
  • Hello_its_Dan
    Hello_its_Dan Posts: 406 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options

Elaborate. I'm always a student and if what I'm saying to people is offensive, I'd like to know.
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    How about eat some refined sugar now and then and not worry about it? This doesn't have to be a form of punishment.

To get back on topic....This ^^^^^
  • AFGP11
    AFGP11 Posts: 142 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    RAinWA wrote: »
    zyxst wrote: »
    Evamutt wrote: »
    My hubs is addicted to sugar too. He's lost a lot of weight & got off insulin but it's a battle. He was watching a documentary about drug addiction & they said on there that sugar is more addicting than any drug

I say this as someone with a drug addiction. Sugar is not more addictive than a drug.
    aybkeg8ulyh3.gif

Thank you! As someone who very recently lost a loved one to addiction I feel like your gif every time someone says they are "addicted" to sugar.

I have lost people to addiction too, but that doesn't mean someone can't struggle with a food addiction. I'd say more people die each day from overeating than from drugs or alcohol. Obesity will kill you a full decade earlier (on average) than smoking cigarettes. This has been researched and is not simply my opinion. Obesity is one of the deadliest issues facing the modern world. Someone dying from an obesity related disease is them dying from being unable to control a substance they put into their bodies. Both are self destructive behaviors that get out of control and then take over your life.

Downplaying someone else's problems because you think yours are worse is just a you problem. I don't play the suffering Olympics because some people have compassion for more than one person at a time. Kindness and understanding are dying sentiments unfortunately.
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    This is definition of addiction taken from the American Society of Addiction:
    "Addiction is a primary, chronic disease of brain reward, motivation, memory and related circuitry."
    People can be addicted to behaviours (eg gambling)as well as substances. So eating *could *be included in that. Personally I think the word "addicted " is another word that's overused and misused. For example I've often said that I'm "addicted "to candy crush (yes,I really am that sad) But of course it's nothing like drug addiction. I think people use the word without thinking. In the same way that they might describe themselves as "ocd" when in fact they aren't at all- true ocd is a debilitating mental illness.
  • illyasHodrick
    illyasHodrick Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    " There's no such thing as cocaine withdrawal. You're just craving it because you're denying yourself it".
  • illyasHodrick
    illyasHodrick Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    AFGP11 wrote: »
    RAinWA wrote: »
    zyxst wrote: »
    Evamutt wrote: »
    My hubs is addicted to sugar too. He's lost a lot of weight & got off insulin but it's a battle. He was watching a documentary about drug addiction & they said on there that sugar is more addicting than any drug

I say this as someone with a drug addiction. Sugar is not more addictive than a drug.
    aybkeg8ulyh3.gif

Thank you! As someone who very recently lost a loved one to addiction I feel like your gif every time someone says they are "addicted" to sugar.

I have lost people to addiction too, but that doesn't mean someone can't struggle with a food addiction. I'd say more people die each day from overeating than from drugs or alcohol. Obesity will kill you a full decade earlier (on average) than smoking cigarettes. This has been researched and is not simply my opinion. Obesity is one of the deadliest issues facing the modern world. Someone dying from an obesity related disease is them dying from being unable to control a substance they put into their bodies. Both are self destructive behaviors that get out of control and then take over your life.

Downplaying someone else's problems because you think yours are worse is just a you problem. I don't play the suffering Olympics because some people have compassion for more than one person at a time. Kindness and understanding are dying sentiments unfortunately.

This isn't downplaying someone else's problems, it's countering scientifically false claims that are insulting to people who had an actual addiciton. Stuff like this.
    " There's no such thing as cocaine withdrawal. You're just craving it because you're denying yourself it".

Comparing wanting a goddamn snickers to cocaine withdrawal is absolutely disgusting, and even if you think sugar is addictive, it would be in a completely different form from cocaine, as everyone who knows even the first thing about how cocaine works would know.

Addiction : When you deprive yourself of something and to a high degree makes you emotionally and physically ill. Could you go a month without eating that Snickers bar?

• Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options

Elaborate. I'm always a student and if what I'm saying to people is offensive, I'd like to know.

Just referring to a difference in your dieting philosophy between then and now.
    Some of your positions now are more likely to be challenged than your prior positions were.
  • fatblatta
    Options
    johnwelk wrote: »
    Riskay123 wrote: »
    I don't see any issue with eating fruit in moderation. Yes, it does contain fructose but it also has fibre and other vitamins and minerals which slow down the liver processing it.
    Some fruits are higher in fructose than others. Bananas are very high as opposed to berries or kiwi fruit.Fructose from table sugar, honey, maple syrup etc are the problem as it hits the liver straight away and the liver converts to fatty acids very quickly.
    I would like to see a change in food labelling laws so you can easily tell if something that has been packaged has added sugar. At the moment in Australia, you can not easily tell if the sugar has been added or it if is naturally occurring. Milk is a great example. If you looked at the sugar content of milk on the label you would think that the sugar content is quite high but the type of sugar in milk is lactose, not fructose and your body processes this type of sugar very differently. So the sugar in milk is not bad for you. I can make an informed decision in relation to fat content when I pick up packaged food because I can see the different types of fats listed. I can't do that with sugar which is very frustrating. I know giving up sugar isn't for everyone but some people are trying to "do the right thing" it is very hard if you don't have the right information.

Nah.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3533803/

Stop linking to decent, peer-reviewed scientific studies. It does nothing but educate people on both reality and critical thinking skills.

Geez.

The authors are employed full time by Archer Daniels Midland Company (ADM). ADM is a major oilseed and grain commodity processor and produces, among other products, fructose-containing sweeteners.

Unbiased helps too

I find this funny after you advertise a book written by Jason Fung.

SC, I was thinking the exact same thing.

Did either of you read the book?

If it's anything like the publically available things he's said time and time again which go against established science, it's neither worth my money nor my time.

Well, if established science knew squat about weight loss we wouldn't have an obesity epidemic in the US, would we? Yes, it's because people don't follow the recommendations. But, that is exactly why it doesn't work permanently for most people.

It is a great book and will help many, many people. I suggested it because I had the same issue as the OP. It could help them too. If your not into it fine, but don't say it's not great if you haven't even read it.

These 950 unbiased people tend to agree with me: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/24945404-the-obesity-code

• fatblatta
    Options
    Yea, exactly. Flat earthers where the traditionalists. The folks that went against them and were shunned. You can say all your nasty stuff. But really, read the book before you criticize it. The flat earthers were wrong and so is the traditional medical advice for weight loss. Not for all, but for many people. Fung's stuff works amazingly for others.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    ditter80 wrote: »
    I wonder how long the sugar withdrawals last.. friend me!

I never had "withdrawals", just cravings...I found that the more my diet evolved and the better my nutrition became, the less I craved "junk food" and the like, and the more I craved solid nutrition.

I never tried to do a complete overhaul of my diet in one swoop...I took things bit by bit and made changes when and where I could. I think this is where a lot of people falter...they try to do too much all at once.

There was a time that I couldn't imagine going without soda...I drank like 3-5 regular sodas per day...I just kind of tapered that down over the course of a couple months...4.5 years later I have maybe 3 sodas in an entire year.

One issue with my diet early on was that I wasn't getting remotely close to getting the recommended veg and fruit...I was getting maybe one serving per day...so I set that as a goal and something positive I could do for my diet...slowly but surely I got to the point where I was eating at least 4 servings of veg per day and a serving or two of fruit.

It was all very much an evolutionary process for me, and not something I just did overnight. Years later, I'm still tweaking things here and there and trying to be a little better today than I was yesterday.
  • fatblatta
    Options
    Yea, exactly. Flat earthers where the traditionalists. The folks that went against them and were shunned. You can say all your nasty stuff. But really, read the book before you criticize it. The flat earthers were wrong and so is the traditional medical advice for weight loss. Not for all, but for many people. Fung's stuff works amazingly for others.

He's referring to people TODAY who believe the earth is flat. It's a bigger group than the list of positive reviewers of the book.

Well, he didn't say that. And how would you know? This place is full of trolls. I'm trying to help folks. Some people just like to get on here and a spew worthless old ideas that have failed. Continue to fail. Doctors encouraged smoking 60 years ago. We may look back on traditional weight loss guidelines the same way.