• BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Wow, MFP has gone downhill.
  • comeonnow142857
    comeonnow142857 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    fatblatta wrote: »
    Yea, exactly. Flat earthers where the traditionalists. The folks that went against them and were shunned. You can say all your nasty stuff. But really, read the book before you criticize it. The flat earthers were wrong and so is the traditional medical advice for weight loss. Not for all, but for many people. Fung's stuff works amazingly for others.

Those who went against the flat earthers were not shunned. As soon as it was demonstrated that the earth was round (long before Caesar or Christianity were a twinkle in anyone's eye), astronomy shifted to round earth acceptance without a hitch.
  • Tum22
    Tum22 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I think it is easier to cut out sugar if you cut out most carbs and basically go on a ketogenic diet. I think you have to stick to this all the time so that once your glycogen stores from your liver are used up you will find it's easier to say no to sugar. I think the way it works is the more sugar you have each day the more you spike your insulin and the more you crave carbs/sugar. Lots of high protein foods (such as eggs) must be eaten from the outset each day and keep topping up.

I am still trying to give up sugar.
  • Treece68
    Treece68 Posts: 780 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Evamutt wrote: »
    My hubs is addicted to sugar too. He's lost a lot of weight & got off insulin but it's a battle. He was watching a documentary about drug addiction & they said on there that sugar is more addicting than any drug

HAHAHAHA sure it is. So easy to get off the smack, but trying to get off the Sugar Smack I had to go to rehab like three times.
    Also good job for your husband losing weight and getting his diabetes under control. My uncle just had to have his legs and a finger amputated. Diabetes is no laughing matter.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Treece68 wrote: »
    Evamutt wrote: »
    My hubs is addicted to sugar too. He's lost a lot of weight & got off insulin but it's a battle. He was watching a documentary about drug addiction & they said on there that sugar is more addicting than any drug

HAHAHAHA sure it is. So easy to get off the smack, but trying to get off the Sugar Smack I had to go to rehab like three times.
    Also good job for your husband losing weight and getting his diabetes under control. My uncle just had to have his legs and a finger amputated. Diabetes is no laughing matter.

@Treece68 I can't tell if you're being serious or sarcastic or what you're trying to convey in your message..
  • Hello_its_Dan
    Hello_its_Dan Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Tum22 wrote: »
    I think it is easier to cut out sugar if you cut out most carbs and basically go on a ketogenic diet. I think you have to stick to this all the time so that once your glycogen stores from your liver are used up you will find it's easier to say no to sugar. I think the way it works is the more sugar you have each day the more you spike your insulin and the more you crave carbs/sugar. Lots of high protein foods (such as eggs) must be eaten from the outset each day and keep topping up.

I am still trying to give up sugar.

No

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Apparently, there are still flat earthers...just had a chat with one on another site a few days ago...f&ck!*& weirdo...we also apparently can't leave the earth's atmosphere.
  • ekim2016
    ekim2016 Posts: 1,199 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I just told myself refined sugar is poison and quit. No cakes, no candy, no ice cream nada sweet and simple. Or should I say, unsweet and simple? Of course I still eat fruits and vegetables Also, I quit alcohol last leap day on Feb 29th 2016... and not even a sip since then. I thought that would be a challenge but not at all... it was just a bad habit / allusion I thought I enjoyed.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Apparently, there are still flat earthers...just had a chat with one on another site a few days ago...f&ck!*& weirdo...we also apparently can't leave the earth's atmosphere.

Tiptoe quietly away while you still can...

;)
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    ekim2016 wrote: »
    I just told myself refined sugar is poison and quit. No cakes, no candy, no ice cream nada sweet and simple. Or should I say, unsweet and simple? Of course I still eat fruits and vegetables Also, I quit alcohol last leap day on Feb 29th 2016... and not even a sip since then. I thought that would be a challenge but not at all... it was just a bad habit / allusion I thought I enjoyed.

But it's not poison. And your body breaks down the sugar in fruits and vegetables into the same molecular structure as the sugar in those other foods.

I guess if telling yourself something that isn't true in order to help you reach your goals works, then good for you, but I prefer to understand the actual science and address the root cause of a behavior I want to change.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    fatblatta wrote: »
    Yea, exactly. Flat earthers where the traditionalists. The folks that went against them and were shunned. You can say all your nasty stuff. But really, read the book before you criticize it. The flat earthers were wrong and so is the traditional medical advice for weight loss. Not for all, but for many people. Fung's stuff works amazingly for others.

Those who went against the flat earthers were not shunned. As soon as it was demonstrated that the earth was round (long before Caesar or Christianity were a twinkle in anyone's eye), astronomy shifted to round earth acceptance without a hitch.

The ancient Hebrews believed in a round earth even centuries before there was a Roman Empire. Even the Old Testament of the Bible (the Hebrew Scriptures) refer to the Earth as being round (the prophet Isaiah mentions "the circle of the Earth").
    Many Eastern and Middle Eastern cultures were far more intellectually advanced in terms of science, mathematics and philosophy than the early Europeans.
    Even still, belief in a flat earth wasn't the original belief of early Europeans, either. It was a relatively short lived belief and wasn't even universally accepted, despite today's popular belief.