It is more than a simple "CICO" - why can't we just admit it?

Options
12345679»

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,138 Member
    Options
    bcalvanese wrote: »
    WOW!!!

5 pages for an acronym that does not even exist. It's a made up word only found in these forums.

And the funny thing is, even if it was a real thing, the people who are too lazy to exercise only use the CI part, and the people think they can control their weight just by exercising only use the CO part. Then it turns into a battle between CI & CO.

There are many funny sayings on these forums.

"weight loss starts in the kitchen" ~so does getting fat~
    "you can't out exercise a bad diet" ~starving yourself is worse~

I know most people don't want to hear this, but if you want to be healthy, you MUST put the work in.

There are no shortcut diets because every one of them are BS.
    There are no shortcut workout plan because every one of them are BS.

You MUST get the recommended exercise, which means you MUST huff and puff and sweat for a certain number of minutes per session and a certain number of sessions per week.

THERE ARE NO SHORTCUTS!!!

You MUST eat a nutritious well balanced diet and keep junk food to a minimum.

THERE ARE NO SHORTCUTS!!!

You SHOULD NOT have to weigh every gram of food you put in your mouth for the rest of your life.
    You SHOULD be able to eat a cheese steak or a couple slices of pizza here and there without blowing up like a freaking balloon.

THERE IS NO CICO!!!

Only people who are too lazy to put the work in.

For the record, I mean this in a nice way.

The concept of CICO has been around a lot longer than MFP.

I've been following CICO since I was 17 ... and that was a long, long time ago. It's the only thing that makes sense and works. :)

• Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Theo166 wrote: »
    Tom and Hank do require the same energy to digest their food, they have the same chemical process underway.

The girl who didn't lose the same weight might have cheated at work, or maybe runs a degree cooler in her body temp. Each can find their own CICO and work from there.

Totally funny you should mention the body temp--I actually do run cool and my medical file has a GIANT notation in it so people don't freak out and think something's wrong. Likewise, when I am running a slight fever by normal standards, it's actually more serious for me.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    ccsernica wrote: »
    I know for a fact people were counting calories 50 years ago. I did it. I had a little book with calories of common foods. Weight watchers has been around a long time. What has skyrocketed in the past 50 years is, the availability of food. Fast food stores, convenience stores with quick & fast foods, grocery stores etc, all open 24 hours per day. Our lives are more sedentary compared to what they were, and we have more demanding schedules on the whole. There are a multitude of reasons that may or may not contribute. But, no one can argue that for many overweight people, we are eating more calories, than we are burning, or at least we were until we found MFP ;)

Thank you. Of COURSE they were.

Why would someone think that no one knew what a calorie was, or bothered with it, 40 years ago??? Do they think that there were dinosaurs back then, too?

Sure there were, but do you have any idea how many calories are in a T-rex drumstick? Just stay away from that stuff!

If they clone dinosaurs I will try it lol

I have a piece of amber with several bugs in it. We can get started on that project.
  • rollerjog
    rollerjog Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    It is more than a simple "CICO, maybe when your first starting out its all about cico, but after that there is a lot more to factor in than just cico, what ever your goal is you have to start making adjustments, sleep plays a big role, rest between sets makes a big difference, how many sets and reps your doing, how much time you spend in the gym, are you doing cardio after workouts or are you doing cardio on your non workout days, all this stuff comes into play if you want keep moving forward, lets say you get hurt and you cant do any upper body work outs, do you stop working out or do you keep on moving forward by doing lower body until your upper body heals, all this stuff makes a difference when you want to keep moving forward, in the end you need cico but whether your gaining or loosing you still have to make adjustments to move forward, and last but not least you have to know what your doing
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    ccsernica wrote: »
    I know for a fact people were counting calories 50 years ago. I did it. I had a little book with calories of common foods. Weight watchers has been around a long time. What has skyrocketed in the past 50 years is, the availability of food. Fast food stores, convenience stores with quick & fast foods, grocery stores etc, all open 24 hours per day. Our lives are more sedentary compared to what they were, and we have more demanding schedules on the whole. There are a multitude of reasons that may or may not contribute. But, no one can argue that for many overweight people, we are eating more calories, than we are burning, or at least we were until we found MFP ;)

Thank you. Of COURSE they were.

Why would someone think that no one knew what a calorie was, or bothered with it, 40 years ago??? Do they think that there were dinosaurs back then, too?

Sure there were, but do you have any idea how many calories are in a T-rex drumstick? Just stay away from that stuff!

If they clone dinosaurs I will try it lol

I have a piece of amber with several bugs in it. We can get started on that project.

In for dino-snacks.
  • kq1981
    kq1981 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    @Look_Its_Kriss you're AMAZING!!!!! Half your body weight????!! And u had huge hurdles! full props to u. Seeing things like this is inspiring! Makes me realise I CAN do it and it's only me in my way (and beer on Saturdays)
  • kq1981
    kq1981 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    rollerjog wrote: »
    It is more than a simple "CICO, maybe when your first starting out its all about cico, but after that there is a lot more to factor in than just cico, what ever your goal is you have to start making adjustments, sleep plays a big role, rest between sets makes a big difference, how many sets and reps your doing, how much time you spend in the gym, are you doing cardio after workouts or are you doing cardio on your non workout days, all this stuff comes into play if you want keep moving forward, lets say you get hurt and you cant do any upper body work outs, do you stop working out or do you keep on moving forward by doing lower body until your upper body heals, all this stuff makes a difference when you want to keep moving forward, in the end you need cico but whether your gaining or loosing you still have to make adjustments to move forward, and last but not least you have to know what your doing

What if I told you that CICO still works even if a person never sets foot in a gym...

Oh god no.... don't say it..... lol
  • Barbs2222
    Barbs2222 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I'm always curious why these discussions get started when this is a CICO website. OP mactaffy428
    has never once commented after he started the thread. What's up with that?
  • mengqiz86
    mengqiz86 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I see the frustration of OP. CICO is as much a "principle" as , say, "buy low sell high". Like.. duh. Thanks for the insight. That doesn't help. Otherwise we'll all be skinny and rich.
    The key is obviously in the nuances. And I'm glad this community provides that kind of support. Some of the responses - particularly that damn flow chart thing - are just not helpful in helping people figure out what's wrong. If I went to my financial planner and say, hey guy, why am I losing money and not earning? And he goes "well, you need to buy low sell high". Well, no thanks for not helping . Lol.
  • butcher206
    butcher206 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    It doesn't help only if the person wants to hear reasons to give up or quit. "it can't be that simple because that means I'll have to change and be uncomfortable and I don't want to do that." A child's mentality. Adults get it. There's a lot of mental children walking around in large fat adult bodies who simply want to continue doing what's easy and what's comfortable
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,138 Member
    Options
    Barbs2222 wrote: »
    I'm always curious why these discussions get started when this is a CICO website. OP mactaffy428
    has never once commented after he started the thread. What's up with that?

Just stirring? :grin:
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Thread locked as it's under moderator review.
This discussion has been closed.