i lift very heavy weights and i can't seem to drop weight

Options

Replies

• sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    ChilliC928 wrote: »
    I stay at or below 1200 a day weather it's an off day or a workout day. If you don't have a way to track your calories out I suggest getting a fitbit or something like it that tracks your heart rate and activity.

1200 is not necessary if someone is quite active. 1200 is generally recommended if you're short, older, or very sedentary.
  • zfitgal
    zfitgal Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    ChilliC928 wrote: »
    I stay at or below 1200 a day weather it's an off day or a workout day. If you don't have a way to track your calories out I suggest getting a fitbit or something like it that tracks your heart rate and activity.

1200 is not necessary if someone is quite active. 1200 is generally recommended if you're short, older, or very sedentary.

1200 is extremely low for me but for a person who is not active and has a desk job then that might be a good number.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    zfitgal wrote: »
    One more question and I'll leave all Of you alone :) .my goal is to lose 1 lb a week. if I put myself at lightly active MFP gives me 1380 calories, if I put myself at active it gives me 1640....at 1640 I would not add in exercise...at 1380 I would...if I plug in to lose .5 pound lightly active I'm given 1630...where and how should I put myself?

you cant lose 1lb a week with only 10lbs to lose safely.maybe water weight.can I ask why you want to lose 1lb a week so badly? its not sustainable with so little to lose.

I feel 1 pound a week is a good goal, I know a healthy range is .5 - 2 pounds a week, I really just want to see the scale starting to move down... If i set my weight loss goal at .5 pound a week i get 1630 not including exercise, I need to really track everything and eat a bit lower then that...im starting at 1600 (including exercise), and seeing how that amount works for me, if I need to drop 50 calories I will...but to eat 1650 + exercise points which is about 200 calories give or take is definitely more then not body needs right now

I dont think you grasp how MFP works.2 lbs a week is for those with more than 75lbs to lose. 0.5 is for those with less than 25 or 30 to lose.those are the healthy ranges.what MFP gives you for calories is without exercise. aka its not included. then when you log your exercise it will give you additional calories to eat back. which some people eat back up to half(50%) some eat all of them back. if you exercise you are given a bigger deficit.if mfp gives you 1630 that is what you are supposed to eat calorie wise,not lower. once in awhile if you go lower its fine. so if you eat 1630 calories and exercise off 200 you will be netting 1430,. which makes you have a deficit of an additional 200 calories, if you try losing a lb thats a 700 calorie deficit(500 for one lb loss+ 200 calories from exercise). which you stated your TDEE is 2300 which means your deficit would be 870 calories which is is a little over 1 and a half lbs deficit total.

if you use MFP you need to eat some of your exercise calories back,your deficit is already built in thats how MFP works. not to mention you said you want to be 130lb (I think that was the number). weight fluctuates you wont weigh that all the time, you will have a weight range. not to mention weight loss is not linear and you wont lose every week.especially with so little to lose. The last 10-20 lbs are the hardest to lose.

I'm sorry I'm very confused right now, 1800 calories a day for me is was to much! if I typed in lightly active and my goal was .5 pound a week my calories are at 1630, excluding exercise. now if u exercise on top of that that's now an additional 150-200 calories that i now need to eat back. If this was the propped amount for me to eat then I would have been at my goal by now. 1630 plus work out calories is most likely my maintenance.

please let me know if I'm off with this? 1380 being I'm lightly active (which is 1 pound a week )+ exercise add ins makes more sense

looking forward to hearing from you

the lightly active is not counting exercise that is for your everyday activities such as a job. exercise is NOT factored into your calorie goal than mfp gives you. if it gives you 1630 and you burn 200 you would end up with 1430 net, you want to net 1630 calories which is your goal. 1630-200=1430 and add back in the exercise and your are back to 1630(1430+200= 1630). your deficit to lose weight is built in without exercise.thats why MFP gave you 1630 as your caloric intake as that includes your deficit already. you could also eat 1830 calories and work off 200 calories and you would be at your 1630 calories net. either way works. If you work out it makes your deficit even bigger,thats why its recommended to eat your calories back. MFP uses the neat method. while TDEE method includes exercise so IF you were following the TDEE method it would take your TDEE and you would input your exercise and if you wanted to lose 1 lb you would subtract 500 calories which would be 1800 and you would not eat back ANY exercise calories. so 2300-500(1lb) =1800. if 1800 calories was too much then your TDEE isnt 2300,or you were eating more than you think because you should have been losing weight eating 1800 because thats 500 calories less than 2300.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    also if 1380 is lightly active to lose 1lb your TDEE would be 1880. as for being at your goal, thats not always true because weight loss is not linear. if I lost weight like I was supposed to I would have been at goal 2+ years ago. that hasnt happened either.everyone is different. but CICO is still going to work for everyone,even those with health issues.it just takes time to figure out how much they have to take in calorie wise to lose
  • zfitgal
    Options
    One more question and I'll leave all Of you alone :) .my goal is to lose 1 lb a week. if I put myself at lightly active MFP gives me 1380 calories, if I put myself at active it gives me 1640....at 1640 I would not add in exercise...at 1380 I would...if I plug in to lose .5 pound lightly active I'm given 1630...where and how should I put myself?

you cant lose 1lb a week with only 10lbs to lose safely.maybe water weight.can I ask why you want to lose 1lb a week so badly? its not sustainable with so little to lose.

I feel 1 pound a week is a good goal, I know a healthy range is .5 - 2 pounds a week, I really just want to see the scale starting to move down... If i set my weight loss goal at .5 pound a week i get 1630 not including exercise, I need to really track everything and eat a bit lower then that...im starting at 1600 (including exercise), and seeing how that amount works for me, if I need to drop 50 calories I will...but to eat 1650 + exercise points which is about 200 calories give or take is definitely more then not body needs right now

I dont think you grasp how MFP works.2 lbs a week is for those with more than 75lbs to lose. 0.5 is for those with less than 25 or 30 to lose.those are the healthy ranges.what MFP gives you for calories is without exercise. aka its not included. then when you log your exercise it will give you additional calories to eat back. which some people eat back up to half(50%) some eat all of them back. if you exercise you are given a bigger deficit.if mfp gives you 1630 that is what you are supposed to eat calorie wise,not lower. once in awhile if you go lower its fine. so if you eat 1630 calories and exercise off 200 you will be netting 1430,. which makes you have a deficit of an additional 200 calories, if you try losing a lb thats a 700 calorie deficit(500 for one lb loss+ 200 calories from exercise). which you stated your TDEE is 2300 which means your deficit would be 870 calories which is is a little over 1 and a half lbs deficit total.

if you use MFP you need to eat some of your exercise calories back,your deficit is already built in thats how MFP works. not to mention you said you want to be 130lb (I think that was the number). weight fluctuates you wont weigh that all the time, you will have a weight range. not to mention weight loss is not linear and you wont lose every week.especially with so little to lose. The last 10-20 lbs are the hardest to lose.

I'm sorry I'm very confused right now, 1800 calories a day for me is was to much! if I typed in lightly active and my goal was .5 pound a week my calories are at 1630, excluding exercise. now if u exercise on top of that that's now an additional 150-200 calories that i now need to eat back. If this was the propped amount for me to eat then I would have been at my goal by now. 1630 plus work out calories is most likely my maintenance.

please let me know if I'm off with this? 1380 being I'm lightly active (which is 1 pound a week )+ exercise add ins makes more sense

the lightly active is not counting exercise that is for your everyday activities such as a job. exercise is NOT factored into your calorie goal than mfp gives you. if it gives you 1630 and you burn 200 you would end up with 1430 net, you want to net 1630 calories which is your goal. 1630-200=1430 and add back in the exercise and your are back to 1630(1430+200= 1630). your deficit to lose weight is built in without exercise.thats why MFP gave you 1630 as your caloric intake as that includes your deficit already. you could also eat 1830 calories and work off 200 calories and you would be at your 1630 calories net. either way works. If you work out it makes your deficit even bigger,thats why its recommended to eat your calories back. MFP uses the neat method. while TDEE method includes exercise so IF you were following the TDEE method it would take your TDEE and you would input your exercise and if you wanted to lose 1 lb you would subtract 500 calories which would be 1800 and you would not eat back ANY exercise calories. so 2300-500(1lb) =1800. if 1800 calories was too much then your TDEE isnt 2300,or you were eating more than you think because you should have been losing weight eating 1800 because thats 500 calories less than 2300.

how do I find out my tdee, I don't think it's that high...
  • zfitgal
    Options
    Someone sent this to me..TDEE for Sedentary is around1600 and for lightly active is 1850 that's not taking into account exercise so personally if I was you I would aim for 1400-1500 per day and log your exercise, eat half the cals back and see where you are in a month. It might seem like slow progress but you're already at the top end of the "Normal" BMI range for your height so you probably don't have too much to lose.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

how do I find out my tdee, I don't think it's that high...

google TDEE calculator.
  • zfitgal
    Options
    thats why i want to start at 1600...track and measure every crumb and leaf lol. and if I need to lower over time by 50 I can...because i donr think I will be 100% accurate with exercise..but 200 calories I feel is good enough to eat back
  • zfitgal
    Options
    or do you feel 1550 is a better starting point? Thank you all so much for your help!! you guys are really the best!
  • 11Templars
    11Templars Posts: 444 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options

I'd have to take a look at your diet, but 1650/cals a day and losing 1lb a week @ your height and weight seems unlikely, especially if you're eating back your "earned" cals. Doesn't matter what MFP says. You're simply eating too much. As you said yourself, you're not losing weight. Outside of a thyroid issue or something similar, simply start by reducing food intake.

All bull**** aside, it's a calorie in, calorie out thing. I don't care what everyone one else says. It's really that simple.

I'm 212lb @ 6'0, cutting from 225 going to 205lb. I only eat 1500 cals a day and only "half" of earned cardio calories. Earned lifting cals don't count imho. I'm eating 225 gms of protein in there too, and losing about 1 -1.5 lbs a week. However, it is a slower process near the end. I will say that when you eat is very important. I eat at 8am, 9:30 am. 11 am, 12:30pm, 3pm and then super at around 6:30 after the gym.

A lot of folks have advice, however I've always taken the approach of listening to folks who've actually been doing it , and doing it well for some time. Take a look at how they look physically, ask them what they did and how, and try to mimic that.

Personal question; are you Clean? Like, are you taking anything? "Var" etc.. Rhetorical question - Don't answer that; but it will make you hold some water etc.

Good luck!

PS, Lift like a man, look like a Goddess.. Good Book..
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    Someone sent this to me..TDEE for Sedentary is around1600 and for lightly active is 1850 that's not taking into account exercise so personally if I was you I would aim for 1400-1500 per day and log your exercise, eat half the cals back and see where you are in a month. It might seem like slow progress but you're already at the top end of the "Normal" BMI range for your height so you probably don't have too much to lose.

TDEE takes into account exercise.

It is TOTAL DAILY ENERGY EXPENDITURE.

My TDEE is ~2100 calories and that is my exercise, daily life, and all that.

I like Scooby's TDEE calculator.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    or do you feel 1550 is a better starting point? Thank you all so much for your help!! you guys are really the best!

if your TDEE is 1850 for lightly active and remember this is an estimate, to lose a half lb would be 1600 calories. not counting exercise.. you can start out at 1600 and go from there. as long as you eat under your TDEE you should lose, if you dont lose anything in say a month after of course weighing and logging EVERYTHING, then you can drop your calories a little. but the best way to lose weight is being able to eat as much as you can while still losing. the slower the better as well.
  • Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I think you're on the right track here. You may want to consider some minor modifications to your macros. For body fat loss, consider upping your lean protein % a bit and reducing the other two macros. Protein does two things, it keeps you satiated longer and it takes more energy for your body to digest (Thermic Effect of Food). Just a thought.
  • zfitgal
    Options

I'd have to take a look at your diet, but 1650/cals a day and losing 1lb a week @ your height and weight seems unlikely, especially if you're eating back your "earned" cals. Doesn't matter what MFP says. You're simply eating too much. As you said yourself, you're not losing weight. Outside of a thyroid issue or something similar, simply start by reducing food intake.

All bull**** aside, it's a calorie in, calorie out thing. I don't care what everyone one else says. It's really that simple.

I'm 212lb @ 6'0, cutting from 225 going to 205lb. I only eat 1500 cals a day and only "half" of earned cardio calories. Earned lifting cals don't count imho. I'm eating 225 gms of protein in there too, and losing about 1 -1.5 lbs a week. However, it is a slower process near the end. I will say that when you eat is very important. I eat at 8am, 9:30 am. 11 am, 12:30pm, 3pm and then super at around 6:30 after the gym.

A lot of folks have advice, however I've always taken the approach of listening to folks who've actually been doing it , and doing it well for some time. Take a look at how they look physically, ask them what they did and how, and try to mimic that.

Personal question; are you Clean? Like, are you taking anything? "Var" etc.. Rhetorical question - Don't answer that; but it will make you hold some water etc.

Good luck!

PS, Lift like a man, look like a Goddess.. Good Book..

Thank you for this. why don't you eat your weight training calories back? 1630 is definitely to high for me to eat plus exercise...do you feel 1600 is a good number for me with my stats...im including weight training calories too.

mfp says I should be eating 1380 to lose 1 lb a week, not including exercise

feedback would be great
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    Rusty740 wrote: »
    I think you're on the right track here. You may want to consider some minor modifications to your macros. For body fat loss, consider upping your lean protein % a bit and reducing the other two macros. Protein does two things, it keeps you satiated longer and it takes more energy for your body to digest (Thermic Effect of Food"). Just a thought.

protein does not satiate everyone, for some its fat,others its carbs.while it takes more energy for your body to digest its not a very big effect, fat is lost in a deficit. it will help retain lean mass/muscle,but protein alone doesnt help reduce fat.@psuLemon,can you explain this in better detail please
  • zfitgal
    Options

if your TDEE is 1850 for lightly active and remember this is an estimate, to lose a half lb would be 1600 calories. not counting exercise.. you can start out at 1600 and go from there. as long as you eat under your TDEE you should lose, if you dont lose anything in say a month after of course weighing and logging EVERYTHING, then you can drop your calories a little. but the best way to lose weight is being able to eat as much as you can while still losing. the slower the better as well.

and you are saying 1600 including exetcise, correct?
  • zfitgal
    Options
    I think you're on the right track here. You may want to consider some minor modifications to your macros. For body fat loss, consider upping your lean protein % a bit and reducing the other two macros. Protein does two things, it keeps you satiated longer and it takes more energy for your body to digest (Thermic Effect of Food). Just a thought.

just started today, and just want to start everything right
  • Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I think you're on the right track here. You may want to consider some minor modifications to your macros. For body fat loss, consider upping your lean protein % a bit and reducing the other two macros. Protein does two things, it keeps you satiated longer and it takes more energy for your body to digest (Thermic Effect of Food"). Just a thought.

protein does not satiate everyone, for some its fat,others its carbs.while it takes more energy for your body to digest its not a very big effect, fat is lost in a deficit. it will help retain lean mass/muscle,but protein alone doesnt help reduce fat.@psuLemon,can you explain this in better detail please

You're right that fat is lost in a deficit, I think the OP gets this, but I think what she's after is that stubborn last bit.

If we say that fat can be as satiating as protein it's still only going to be 20-30% of daily intake and at that it's still more than double the calories per pound as protein and carbs. 9 calories per lb vs 4 calories per lb. The thermic effect of fat and carbs are only about less than 10%, but protein is 25-30%. Combine those two things and upping protein is still worth a good try, but it's still correct that the deficit is what counts.
  • zfitgal
    Options

You're right that fat is lost in a deficit, I think the OP gets this, but I think what she's after is that stubborn last bit.

If we say that fat can be as satiating as protein it's still only going to be 20-30% of daily intake and at that it's still more than double the calories per pound as protein and carbs. 9 calories per lb vs 4 calories per lb. The thermic effect of fat and carbs are only about less than 10%, but protein is 25-30%. Combine those two things and upping protein is still worth a good try, but it's still correct that the deficit is what counts.

agree, and i plan to up my fat a bit, just looking for the right deficit.