i lift very heavy weights and i can't seem to drop weight

Options

Replies

• zfitgal
    zfitgal Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    zfitgal wrote: »
    Someone sent this to me..TDEE for Sedentary is around1600 and for lightly active is 1850 that's not taking into account exercise so personally if I was you I would aim for 1400-1500 per day and log your exercise, eat half the cals back and see where you are in a month. It might seem like slow progress but you're already at the top end of the "Normal" BMI range for your height so you probably don't have too much to lose.

TDEE takes into account exercise.

It is TOTAL DAILY ENERGY EXPENDITURE.

My TDEE is ~2100 calories and that is my exercise, daily life, and all that.

I like Scooby's TDEE calculator.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

thos is telling me that my bmr is 1100 and that's not true...
  • Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Someone sent this to me..TDEE for Sedentary is around1600 and for lightly active is 1850 that's not taking into account exercise so personally if I was you I would aim for 1400-1500 per day and log your exercise, eat half the cals back and see where you are in a month. It might seem like slow progress but you're already at the top end of the "Normal" BMI range for your height so you probably don't have too much to lose.

Something wrong... I just got 1419 BMR with age=30 weight=140lbs height=64.5" (5'4.5")
  • zfitgal
    Options
    Rusty740 wrote: »

Something wrong... I just got 1419 BMR with age=30 weight=140lbs height=64.5" (5'4.5")

so weird, that makes more sense
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I think you're on the right track here. You may want to consider some minor modifications to your macros. For body fat loss, consider upping your lean protein % a bit and reducing the other two macros. Protein does two things, it keeps you satiated longer and it takes more energy for your body to digest (Thermic Effect of Food"). Just a thought.

protein does not satiate everyone, for some its fat,others its carbs.while it takes more energy for your body to digest its not a very big effect, fat is lost in a deficit. it will help retain lean mass/muscle,but protein alone doesnt help reduce fat.@psuLemon,can you explain this in better detail please

You're right that fat is lost in a deficit, I think the OP gets this, but I think what she's after is that stubborn last bit.

If we say that fat can be as satiating as protein it's still only going to be 20-30% of daily intake and at that it's still more than double the calories per pound as protein and carbs. 9 calories per lb vs 4 calories per lb. The thermic effect of fat and carbs are only about less than 10%, but protein is 25-30%. Combine those two things and upping protein is still worth a good try, but it's still correct that the deficit is what counts.

when you boil it down TEF is quite minimal.

From reading this thread OP needs to accurately log intake for a few weeks and get her TDEE pegged down.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I think you're on the right track here. You may want to consider some minor modifications to your macros. For body fat loss, consider upping your lean protein % a bit and reducing the other two macros. Protein does two things, it keeps you satiated longer and it takes more energy for your body to digest (Thermic Effect of Food"). Just a thought.

protein does not satiate everyone, for some its fat,others its carbs.while it takes more energy for your body to digest its not a very big effect, fat is lost in a deficit. it will help retain lean mass/muscle,but protein alone doesnt help reduce fat.@psuLemon,can you explain this in better detail please

Protein and fiber are fairly universal when it comes to satiety; fats and carbs are more individualistic. Having said that, TEF is generally over exaggerated; pro: 20-30%, Carbs: 5-6%, Fats: 1-2%. So if you normally eat 100g of protein, increase by 50% and now eat 150g, your increase in TEF = (50x4=200x.2 or .3 = 40-60 calories, plus you have to subtract out the macro you take it from). The bigger advantage, is protein is linked to maintaining metabolic functions and higher compliance during weight loss.

Having said all of this, OP, all TDEE calculators are just estimates. Pick a number, track for 4-6 weeks and adjust based on actual results. So maybe start with 1500 and see how things go. Adjust macros based on goals and satiety and use a food scale.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    or do you feel 1550 is a better starting point? Thank you all so much for your help!! you guys are really the best!

if your TDEE is 1850 for lightly active and remember this is an estimate, to lose a half lb would be 1600 calories. not counting exercise.. you can start out at 1600 and go from there. as long as you eat under your TDEE you should lose, if you dont lose anything in say a month after of course weighing and logging EVERYTHING, then you can drop your calories a little. but the best way to lose weight is being able to eat as much as you can while still losing. the slower the better as well.

and you are saying 1600 including exetcise, correct?

listen to what psuLemon said it the post at the bottom.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Either use a calculator and use TDEE less 250 calories or use MFP set to sedentary and eat exercise calories. Pick one. Do it for 6-8 weeks. Track accurately. Reassess after that to see what your actual TDEE looks like.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    dannyjoe54 wrote: »
    My advice is to stop focusing on your weight and be more concerned about your body composition. The numbers on the scale don't mean anything without knowing your body fat %. At 130lbs you may think you'll look great or will you still be skinny fat? More resistance training is the ticket to a shapely athletic physique. If you need to keep adding cardio to control your weight you're doing something wrong. As a female you should be training with weights that allow you to do about 12 reps per set in good form and minimize the rest period between sets. Always train with focus and intensity! Don't forget adding muscle to your frame increases your BMR. Doing lots of Cardio will hinder that process and in some cases promote muscle loss! Eat a sugar free, salt free, low fat diet at all times.

You realize your body needs salt and sugar to function right? I won't comment on the low fat diet portion b/c different strokes for different folks. But the no sugar and no salt thing is wrong.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options

for my height and weight/age its giving me for 1-3 hrs of light exercise a week(Im more active than that though) a BMR of 1486. but cant say if that For Me is correct since I have a metabolic disorder. but again everything is an estimate anyway.@zfitgal-how do you know what your BMR is? have you had it tested or?
  • zfitgal
    Options

for my height and weight/age its giving me for 1-3 hrs of light exercise a week(Im more active than that though) a BMR of 1486. but cant say if that For Me is correct since I have a metabolic disorder. but again everything is an estimate anyway.@zfitgal-how do you know what your BMR is? have you had it tested or?

no its estimated, but all places post it in the 1400s
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    I think you're getting the two calculation methods confused.

If you're using a TDEE calculator, it takes your average exercise into consideration, so you don't eat back any calories. You take your TDEE - whatever deficit (250 calories to lose 0.5 pounds per week, 500 calories to lose 1 pound, etc.), and just eat that number of calories.

If you're using MFP, you don't factor any additional exercise calories into your activity level. MFP gives you your deficit, then you add back in your exercise calories.

Roughly speaking, either method should get you to the same average weekly caloric intake. The big difference tends to be whether you want extra calories to eat on exercise days or whether you'd like to have a more consistent target no matter what you did that day.

One question: how are you calculating your calorie burn for your exercise?
  • VintageFeline
    Options

BMR isn't affected by exercise, that's TDEE. BMR is what you need to function in a coma.
  • zfitgal
    Options
    AliceDark wrote: »

If you're using a TDEE calculator, it takes your average exercise into consideration, so you don't eat back any calories. You take your TDEE - whatever deficit (250 calories to lose 0.5 pounds per week, 500 calories to lose 1 pound, etc.), and just eat that number of calories.

If you're using MFP, you don't factor any additional exercise calories into your activity level. MFP gives you your deficit, then you add back in your exercise calories.

Roughly speaking, either method should get you to the same average weekly caloric intake. The big difference tends to be whether you want extra calories to eat on exercise days or whether you'd like to have a more consistent target no matter what you did that day.

Hi, Icant be so accurate because I don't know i work out intensely, but not sure if the exact expenditure...thats why I'm thinking 1550-1600 exercise included should be good
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options

Hi, Icant be so accurate because I don't know i work out intensely, but not sure if the exact expenditure...thats why I'm thinking 1550-1600 exercise included should be good

Probably a good start. Try not to overthink. Pick a calorie goal, track for a month and adjust based on your goals.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

Probably a good start. Try not to overthink. Pick a calorie goal, track for a month and adjust based on your goals.

This is great advice. Actual data will give you a much more accurate path forward than any calculator.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options

BMR isn't affected by exercise, that's TDEE. BMR is what you need to function in a coma.

I know but it gives me a BMR of 1489 but if I put in more exercise it give me a higher BMR. I know what BMR is.and TDEE can change everyday depending on how much you burn I know that too. Im just stating the info it gives me. the more exercise I put in the higher BMR it gives but then again I dont go by those calculators anyway so its a moot point for me.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options

how intensely do you workout though? if you give some info of how much you workout,like what you do and how much day to day. do you lift everyday,how long? do you do cardio/hiit? how long? how often? then others may be able to help you out to get at least a baseline
  • VintageFeline
    Options

I know but it gives me a BMR of 1489 but if I put in more exercise it give me a higher BMR. I know what BMR is.and TDEE can change everyday depending on how much you burn I know that too. Im just stating the info it gives me. the more exercise I put in the higher BMR it gives but then again I dont go by those calculators anyway so its a moot point for me.

That's odd because on Scooby's calculator it stays the exact same for me. It doesn't make sense for it to change because it's not based on any exercise. It can change due to muscle mass but you'd need a more complex calculator for that but again, it should be static.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options

That's odd because on Scooby's calculator it stays the exact same for me. It doesn't make sense for it to change because it's not based on any exercise. It can change due to muscle mass but you'd need a more complex calculator for that but again, it should be static.

its not the same. for 5-6 days of intense activity it gives me like 1590+ for BMR. so obviously its a glitch
  • zfitgal
    Options

how intensely do you workout though? if you give some info of how much you workout,like what you do and how much day to day. do you lift everyday,how long? do you do cardio/hiit? how long? how often? then others may be able to help you out to get at least a baseline

I do HIT once a week, spin twice a week at a high intensity, erigjt train very heavy three days a week...very heavy lifting...one hour a session