i lift very heavy weights and i can't seem to drop weight

Options

Replies

• zfitgal
    zfitgal Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    One more question and I'll leave all Of you alone :) .my goal is to lose 1 lb a week. if I put myself at lightly active MFP gives me 1380 calories, if I put myself at active it gives me 1640....at 1640 I would not add in exercise...at 1380 I would...if I plug in to lose .5 pound lightly active I'm given 1630...where and how should I put myself?
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    zfitgal wrote: »
    Good Morning! just weighed my vita top in grams I had to cut a piece off from it because serving size said 57 grams and it weighed in at 67

No need to cut bits off, that's a waste, just log the correct weight.
  • zfitgal
    Options
    mean I ahould log the amount of grams it is...
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    Good Morning! just weighed my vita top in grams I had to cut a piece off from it because serving size said 57 grams and it weighed in at 67

No need to cut bits off, that's a waste, just log the correct weight.

Agreed. If you can't find the gram weight for an entry, then you can still log it btw. For example, that 67g muffin that has a serving size of 57g. Just do 67/57 in a calculator and you'll get 1.17543..etc. I usually just round to the nearest hundredth and log it as that amount, so 1.18 servings.
  • dannyjoe54
    dannyjoe54 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    dannyjoe54 wrote: »
    My advice is to stop focusing on your weight and be more concerned about your body composition. The numbers on the scale don't mean anything without knowing your body fat %. At 130lbs you may think you'll look great or will you still be skinny fat? More resistance training is the ticket to a shapely athletic physique. If you need to keep adding cardio to control your weight you're doing something wrong. As a female you should be training with weights that allow you to do about 12 reps per set in good form and minimize the rest period between sets. Always train with focus and intensity! Don't forget adding muscle to your frame increases your BMR. Doing lots of Cardio will hinder that process and in some cases promote muscle loss! Eat a sugar free, salt free, low fat diet at all times.

So wait, as a female, what happens if I do under 12 reps.. I am going to get too strong and bulky? ;)
    And no sugar.. no salt.. and low fat at all times? That sounds like a recipe for disaster.. adequate electrolytes and fats are necessary for proper body function. And she doesn't have to go sugar free, while it shouldn't make up most of her diet, she can have it in moderation if she wants.

Doing a low rep style workout enables you to lift a little more weight but the benefit of going to 12 raises the calorie burn, the intensity and will ensure your engaging more muscle fibers with each exercise. As a trainer I generally start clients off in the 15-20 rep range and gradually reduce the rep range as they gain experience, however every set is taken to muscular failure. Failure being when your form begins to suffer. Muscular hypertrophy is generally agreed upon to occur in the 8-12 rep range. Technique, program design and lack of mind muscle connection is what really keeps most people from reaching their goals. You should know by now MOST females will not add a lot of bulk and muscle from lifting weights without elevated levels of testosterone. FYI low fat doesn't mean NO fat.
  • zfitgal
    Options
    i too am a certified trainer, but I do lift heavy. I curl 35 lb dumbbell...i superset with light weights, I pyramid, I do it all. I love weight training
  • zfitgal
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    My advice is to stop focusing on your weight and be more concerned about your body composition. The numbers on the scale don't mean anything without knowing your body fat %. At 130lbs you may think you'll look great or will you still be skinny fat? More resistance training is the ticket to a shapely athletic physique. If you need to keep adding cardio to control your weight you're doing something wrong. As a female you should be training with weights that allow you to do about 12 reps per set in good form and minimize the rest period between sets. Always train with focus and intensity! Don't forget adding muscle to your frame increases your BMR. Doing lots of Cardio will hinder that process and in some cases promote muscle loss! Eat a sugar free, salt free, low fat diet at all times.

So wait, as a female, what happens if I do under 12 reps.. I am going to get too strong and bulky? ;)
    And no sugar.. no salt.. and low fat at all times? That sounds like a recipe for disaster.. adequate electrolytes and fats are necessary for proper body function. And she doesn't have to go sugar free, while it shouldn't make up most of her diet, she can have it in moderation if she wants.

Doing a low rep style workout enables you to lift a little more weight but the benefit of going to 12 raises the calorie burn, the intensity and will ensure your engaging more muscle fibers with each exercise. As a trainer I generally start clients off in the 15-20 rep range and gradually reduce the rep range as they gain experience, however every set is taken to muscular failure. Failure being when your form begins to suffer. Muscular hypertrophy is generally agreed upon to occur in the 8-12 rep range. Technique, program design and lack of mind muscle connection is what really keeps most people from reaching their goals. You should know by now MOST females will not add a lot of bulk and muscle from lifting weights without elevated levels of testosterone. FYI low fat doesn't mean NO fat.

I think this was posted on the wrong thread :)
  • dannyjoe54
    Options
    eating clean ie or smart simply means avoiding any and all products that are high in fat, sodium or refined sugar. I should have corrected my statement earlier, instead of no salt, no sugar, it should have read low salt, low sugar. my apologies.
  • dannyjoe54
    Options
    If you're on FB checkout John Defendis. Ultrafit is the gold standard of personal training. John is the founder and director. weight loss and fitness expert, in the fitness hall of fame, PT hall of fame, bodybuilding hall of fame, ISSA presidents council and board of directors, 9x trainer of the year, celebrity trainer, fitness author and speaker, Mr. USA, IFBB professional. Ultrafit has a track record of weight loss success going back over 33 yrs. Tens of thousands of physical transformations and Ultrafit uses NO cardio!
  • zfitgal
    Options
    If you're on FB checkout John Defendis. Ultrafit is the gold standard of personal training. John is the founder and director. weight loss and fitness expert, in the fitness hall of fame, PT hall of fame, bodybuilding hall of fame, ISSA presidents council and board of directors, 9x trainer of the year, celebrity trainer, fitness author and speaker, Mr. USA, IFBB professional. Ultrafit has a track record of weight loss success going back over 33 yrs. Tens of thousands of physical transformations and Ultrafit uses NO cardio!

thanks so much I will!
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    One more question and I'll leave all Of you alone :) .my goal is to lose 1 lb a week. if I put myself at lightly active MFP gives me 1380 calories, if I put myself at active it gives me 1640....at 1640 I would not add in exercise...at 1380 I would...if I plug in to lose .5 pound lightly active I'm given 1630...where and how should I put myself?

you cant lose 1lb a week with only 10lbs to lose safely.maybe water weight.can I ask why you want to lose 1lb a week so badly? its not sustainable with so little to lose.
  • zfitgal
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    As a female you should be training with weights that allow you to do about 12 reps per set in good form and minimize the rest period between sets. Always train with focus and intensity! Don't forget adding muscle to your frame increases your BMR. Doing lots of Cardio will hinder that process and in some cases promote muscle loss! Eat a sugar free, salt free, low fat diet at all times.

oh god.

please don't.

agreed @JoRocka
  • zfitgal
    Options

you cant lose 1lb a week with only 10lbs to lose safely.maybe water weight.can I ask why you want to lose 1lb a week so badly? its not sustainable with so little to lose.

I feel 1 pound a week is a good goal, I know a healthy range is .5 - 2 pounds a week, I really just want to see the scale starting to move down... If i set my weight loss goal at .5 pound a week i get 1630 not including exercise, I need to really track everything and eat a bit lower then that...im starting at 1600 (including exercise), and seeing how that amount works for me, if I need to drop 50 calories I will...but to eat 1650 + exercise points which is about 200 calories give or take is definitely more then not body needs right now
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options

I feel 1 pound a week is a good goal, I know a healthy range is .5 - 2 pounds a week, I really just want to see the scale starting to move down... If i set my weight loss goal at .5 pound a week i get 1630 not including exercise, I need to really track everything and eat a bit lower then that...im starting at 1600 (including exercise), and seeing how that amount works for me, if I need to drop 50 calories I will...but to eat 1650 + exercise points which is about 200 calories give or take is definitely more then not body needs right now

I dont think you grasp how MFP works.2 lbs a week is for those with more than 75lbs to lose. 0.5 is for those with less than 25 or 30 to lose.those are the healthy ranges.what MFP gives you for calories is without exercise. aka its not included. then when you log your exercise it will give you additional calories to eat back. which some people eat back up to half(50%) some eat all of them back. if you exercise you are given a bigger deficit.if mfp gives you 1630 that is what you are supposed to eat calorie wise,not lower. once in awhile if you go lower its fine. so if you eat 1630 calories and exercise off 200 you will be netting 1430,. which makes you have a deficit of an additional 200 calories, if you try losing a lb thats a 700 calorie deficit(500 for one lb loss+ 200 calories from exercise). which you stated your TDEE is 2300 which means your deficit would be 870 calories which is is a little over 1 and a half lbs deficit total.

if you use MFP you need to eat some of your exercise calories back,your deficit is already built in thats how MFP works. not to mention you said you want to be 130lb (I think that was the number). weight fluctuates you wont weigh that all the time, you will have a weight range. not to mention weight loss is not linear and you wont lose every week.especially with so little to lose. The last 10-20 lbs are the hardest to lose.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

why?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    eating clean ie or smart simply means avoiding any and all products that are high in fat, sodium or refined sugar. I should have corrected my statement earlier, instead of no salt, no sugar, it should have read low salt, low sugar. my apologies.

which is totally unnecessary for any weight loss goal. ...
  • zfitgal
    Options

I dont think you grasp how MFP works.2 lbs a week is for those with more than 75lbs to lose. 0.5 is for those with less than 25 or 30 to lose.those are the healthy ranges.what MFP gives you for calories is without exercise. aka its not included. then when you log your exercise it will give you additional calories to eat back. which some people eat back up to half(50%) some eat all of them back. if you exercise you are given a bigger deficit.if mfp gives you 1630 that is what you are supposed to eat calorie wise,not lower. once in awhile if you go lower its fine. so if you eat 1630 calories and exercise off 200 you will be netting 1430,. which makes you have a deficit of an additional 200 calories, if you try losing a lb thats a 700 calorie deficit(500 for one lb loss+ 200 calories from exercise). which you stated your TDEE is 2300 which means your deficit would be 870 calories which is is a little over 1 and a half lbs deficit total.

if you use MFP you need to eat some of your exercise calories back,your deficit is already built in thats how MFP works. not to mention you said you want to be 130lb (I think that was the number). weight fluctuates you wont weigh that all the time, you will have a weight range. not to mention weight loss is not linear and you wont lose every week.especially with so little to lose. The last 10-20 lbs are the hardest to lose.

I'm sorry I'm very confused right now, 1800 calories a day for me is was to much! if I typed in lightly active and my goal was .5 pound a week my calories are at 1630, excluding exercise. now if u exercise on top of that that's now an additional 150-200 calories that i now need to eat back. If this was the propped amount for me to eat then I would have been at my goal by now. 1630 plus work out calories is most likely my maintenance.

please let me know if I'm off with this? 1380 being I'm lightly active (which is 1 pound a week )+ exercise add ins makes more sense

looking forward to hearing from you
  • ChilliC928
    ChilliC928 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I stay at or below 1200 a day weather it's an off day or a workout day. If you don't have a way to track your calories out I suggest getting a fitbit or something like it that tracks your heart rate and activity.