i lift very heavy weights and i can't seem to drop weight

Options

Replies

• bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    zfitgal wrote: »
    you have been amazing! I'll get on tnw scale tomorrow amd use that weight as my starters weight, I'll get on every 2 weeks! Thank you so much!!

You're welcome :) Make sure you poop first
  • zfitgal
    zfitgal Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    lol i will try :) thank u again
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    also, should I expect to see a drop in weight in the first week or I should give it a few weeks before getting on the scale

with 10lbs to lose(as stated in other post) its going to be at a slower pace
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    This is probably a dumb question but could it be that you are actually losing fat but have gained muscle? Muscle is more dense and weighs more? Sorry,I've only skim read the other replies.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    This is probably a dumb question but could it be that you are actually losing fat but have gained muscle? Muscle is more dense and weighs more? Sorry,I've only skim read the other replies.

Not really. Some people can gain muscle in a deficit with appropriate protein intake, and progressive overload/heavy lifting, but generally the not enough that you still wouldn't see the scale dropping.
  • comptonelizabeth
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »

Not really. Some people can gain muscle in a deficit with appropriate protein intake, and progressive overload/heavy lifting, but generally the not enough that you still wouldn't see the scale dropping.

OK- thanks,that clarifies it.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,777 Member
    Options
    You have a tiny amount to lose.
    You exercise.

It will be difficult to SEE movement.
    Log your weight in a trending weight app or web site.
    Will make life easier
    happy scale/libra/trendweight/weightgrapher.

You are playing with 250 Cal deficits potentially at your weight and TDEE.
    A large 7-11 BLACK coffee has 7 calories.
    I drank 3 today.
    That's 10% of your deficit.

The 0 Calorie Cooking spray I used to cook with today was 10g down. if half of the weight was propellant that still leaves 5g of fat, or 45 Calories. 25% of your deficit.

Weigh... don't measure.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Op.

You need to accurately track your intake. Weigh foods and measure liquids, in grams and millilitres where possible. Ensure you are choosing the correct database entries.

I'm assuming the numbers in regards to BMR and TDEE you stated above come from an online calculator. Ignore them.

Accurately track your intake using MFP for a few weeks whilst monitoring weight, this will give you your own real world data to work with.

Adjust calorie intake as necessary.

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    lol i will try :) thank u again

and don't expect to lose more than lb per fortnight if you only have a few pounds to lose.
  • blackcomaro
    blackcomaro Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    do you count your veggies?

Yes. I eat 200 calories worth of veg per day. That could wipe out a deficit right there. When I really need to drop, I log my gum and my dang garlic. You aren't being careful enough.
    my bmr is 1450...how is ur tdee low? @bbell1985 my tdee is 2300

I don't do cardio and I get 12k steps per day. It's 1800 because...it is.

Why log your gum?? you don't actually eat it.... lol.
    I'm guessing you just mean you weigh and log everything. I use baking scales to weigh my intake.

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    If you aren't losing weight you are eating more than you think. Tighten up your logging and you will lose.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    When I'm eating with only 250cal per day deficit I don't see it on the scale for a whole month with my monthly period whoosh. And I log accurately. But I use a weight trending app and know my logging is good enough that the losses will come with enough time and consistency.

I am now in a little over 500cal per day deficit and even then, my weight have been the same for 8 days now. No biggie, again, my losses will come on the scale because I know my logging is good.

So log. Accurately. Be consistent. Don't expect to see a loss every Monday at 9am. It doesn't work like that.
  • blackcomaro
    Options
    do you count your veggies?

Yes. I eat 200 calories worth of veg per day. That could wipe out a deficit right there. When I really need to drop, I log my gum and my dang garlic. You aren't being careful enough.
    my bmr is 1450...how is ur tdee low? @bbell1985 my tdee is 2300

I don't do cardio and I get 12k steps per day. It's 1800 because...it is.

Why log your gum?? you don't actually eat it.... lol.
    I'm guessing you just mean you weigh and log everything. I use baking scales to weigh my intake.

Because you still intake the sugar? I eat a whole pack. That's like 60 calories. I do it often as well.

Thanks
  • blackcomaro
    Options
    I didnt think of that
  • zfitgal
    Options
    Good Morning! just weighed my vita top in grams I had to cut a piece off from it because serving size said 57 grams and it weighed in at 67
  • dannyjoe54
    dannyjoe54 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    My advice is to stop focusing on your weight and be more concerned about your body composition. The numbers on the scale don't mean anything without knowing your body fat %. At 130lbs you may think you'll look great or will you still be skinny fat? More resistance training is the ticket to a shapely athletic physique. If you need to keep adding cardio to control your weight you're doing something wrong. As a female you should be training with weights that allow you to do about 12 reps per set in good form and minimize the rest period between sets. Always train with focus and intensity! Don't forget adding muscle to your frame increases your BMR. Doing lots of Cardio will hinder that process and in some cases promote muscle loss! Eat a sugar free, salt free, low fat diet at all times.
  • comptonelizabeth
    Options
    dannyjoe54 wrote: »
    My advice is to stop focusing on your weight and be more concerned about your body composition. The numbers on the scale don't mean anything without knowing your body fat %. At 130lbs you may think you'll look great or will you still be skinny fat? More resistance training is the ticket to a shapely athletic physique. If you need to keep adding cardio to control your weight you're doing something wrong. As a female you should be training with weights that allow you to do about 12 reps per set in good form and minimize the rest period between sets. Always train with focus and intensity! Don't forget adding muscle to your frame increases your BMR. Doing lots of Cardio will hinder that process and in some cases promote muscle loss! Eat a sugar free, salt free, low fat diet at all times.

Why is sugar and salt free and low fat so important? Also isn't 12 reps on the high side? Well established programs like strong lifts are based on lower reps?
    Not arguing - I'm no expert - just curious !
  • zfitgal
    Options
    dannyjoe54 wrote: »

Hi, this doesnt apply to me...i appreciate it. i was just validating what everyone was saying about thinking I'm eating a certain amount and in reality a packaged product waz wrong.