Anyone else addicted to fast food?

Options

Replies

• legreene515
    legreene515 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I do not eat fast food anymore, but I used to love the stuff.

First, I educated myself on what I actually was putting into my body. I'm not sure fast food can actually be called "food." Then, because I had children, I thought about whether I wanted them growing up eating that stuff (NO!). Now, I don't eat it unless it is on a rare occasion (out of town). I actually have an aversion to it. If we stop for fast food, then I try to stop at Subway.

If you're going to incorporate it in your diet, then just watch your portion size. Get a kid's meal or something.
  • Miss_Maree
    Miss_Maree Posts: 33
    Options
    I'm addicted to Starbucks and similar coffee shops. =( Maybe that's more unhealthy for my budget than my body though. lol
  • RN514
    RN514 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    I have to get ready for work, so I haven't read any responses yet...I will have to later.

I just saw the title and had to say...Burger King Fries. :( that is all.
  • bug46319
    bug46319 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I believe in and have a fast food addiction. And don't let someone who says there is no such thing get in your head. I will be driving, dead set on being healthy, and go by a fast food restaurant. I don't even have to be hungry but without even realizing what i am doing i am turning into the drive thru. And of course i can't just get a cheeseburger. I get a whole meal with large fries and soda. Each day i try again. One week there were a few days i ate to the point of gagging. It really is sad. But i'm not giving up and that's important. No matter how bad you trip up do not give up. I'm trying again but it is hard for me because i know mcdonalds has monopoly going on and i do have a slight gambling problem too. I think those with addictive personalities are more likely to fall into fast food addiction. I went through gambling and cigarettes (never get into alcohol thankfully). I even went through withdrawal wheniwent through a juicing stage. I wanted a Big Mac more than anything and got angry about it. It felt like i was a serious drug addict. I felt shifty and shaky. Eventually i did cave a got 2 big macs with all sorts of extra goodies.

It'll be a struggle for a while. I'm only hoping i get over this and get over it quick. My goal for this week is to not get fast food. There are plenty of options to make at home. Just another one of those motivation and will power things.

Good luck to you!
  • g0tr00t
    g0tr00t Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Watch supersize me, you won't want fast food for a while.

I was just going to post this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Z74og9HbTM

Also, watch how they get their food, its disgusting. I have not eaten fast food for over 10 years and the smell of it makes me want to hurl.
  • pearson114
    pearson114 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    My suggestion would be to make your burgers, chicken wings, ribs etc at home, then you know exactly what's in them and how they have been cooked.

I make my own burgers, and they taste far nicer than any fast food place. My 'salt and pepper' chicken wings better than any Chinese place around where I live, and my ribs are boiled, with cabbage. It adds to the flavour. Then the ribs are lightly friend in fry light oil with onion and chilli - just like a Chinese takeaway.

I can happily, and have done many times, drive through a McDonald's whilst my friend / girlfriend / kids have something to eat and I'll skip and wait until I get home.

Keep at it! It tastes so much better when it's homemade.
  • amandacillin
    amandacillin Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Eating clean for 3 months (with 2 reasonable cheat MEALS (not days) per wk) is what did it for me. Not gonna lie...that was HARD. Now when I eat fast food it makes me feel so sick and awful. Knowing how it is going to make me feel keeps me away. Know I am acclimated to eating healthy without trying. It took A LOT of recipe searching, planning, and logging but now I can do it and it is part of my everyday life. I feel SO MUCH BETTER!
  • AnaCoffee
    AnaCoffee Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I know this may sound odd, but one of my main reasons for becoming a vegetarian was to make fast food less tempting for me. (I also needed to go low sodium to help lower my bp.) My teenager eats a lot of fast food because of his little known/rare eating disorder, EPE/SED. (I made a post about it awhile ago in another thread.)

Anyway...by becoming vegetarian and trying to eat as many organics as I could afford, almost all of my favorite fast food places were eliminated. No more McDonald's or Taco Bell. My only fast food now is Chipotle - a vegan burrito. Still high in sodium, but it's my PMS craving treat and is so much better than what I'd get at Taco Bell. (You'd think I was buying for 2-4 people, not 1.) I won't even let myself have a meat-free Egg McMuffin on our once-a-week stop to McDonald's for breakfast on the way to my son's activity because I tell myself that the egg isn't free range. (At home the only whole eggs I'll eat are cage free, hormone & antibiotic free, vegetarian fed.)

With that being said, last week I did cheat a little when hub brought home Popeyes. The commercials for their new shrimp were driving us nuts. I had 1 serving of shrimp, then measured out 1/2 cup of mash potatoes and cole slaw. Later I snuck a bite of chicken, which felt weird in my mouth as I haven't eaten any meat except for that shrimp in a month.

Sorry, one last thing. Like I put in my profile, my final breaking point with McDonald's came a few weeks ago when they were having B1G1F on their new bacon Quarter Pounders. Hub brought two varieties of them home and after eating my 2, I ended up in the bathroom for 3 days. :sick:

Again, my way probably isn't the best, but it works for me. Every time I want to cheat, to just break down and grab a burger or tacos, I tell myself it'll make me sick. For me, if I have it just one more time I'm going to want it again and again and again. I've already been on this rollercoaster before when I first decided to become a vegetarian 2 years ago, fell off, got back on, repeat, and don't want to get back on it.

Sorry if that wasn't any help. Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • twosixeight
    Options
    You're not addicted to fast food, no one is. Habitiual, maybe, but not addiction.

Sorry, I have to disagree with you there because fast food addiction is real. Its more than just a habit or something that is done every day because "its the norm". A fast food addiction is a demon all on its own! Your body naggs at you at every meal during the day that you NEED to fast food. Your mind will give you 10+ reasons as to why and when you give you mind a good reason not to, it will counter back to make you doubt your "good" reason. You will even look at your food in the fridge and not want any of it just because its not fast food. Even if you don't have money, you will look around your car, your room, your change jar - everywhere just to find enough money to even just get something off the dollar menu to get the madness in your mind to stop. Fast food addiction isn't ruled by one's stomach, Its ruled by one's mind.
  • BabyLovesToRun
    BabyLovesToRun Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere a long time ago that it's not really addictive, you can quit it if you want to, but there's something in it that keeps you coming back for more. It doesn't fill you up like "good" food does. Your body is left unsatisfied. Probably all the grease and salt ... I love it when I have it, but I only allow myself to have it once a month, if that. I've gone 6 months without it before. I'd much rather have a tub of Strawberries than some square piece of fish on a bun .... LOL

If you HAVE to have fast food, why not try switching to a healthier fast food ... like Sub shops. At least with subs you're not ingesting hideous amounts of salt and grease that leaves you unsatisfied and craving more.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    There are an awful lot of posts in here that sounds like willpower issues masquerading as addictions. Just because you like something and don't say no to it doesn't make you an addict, just weak. You're doing a disservice to people with real addictions when you claim to be addicted to French fries.

And an equal number of posts that seem to fear food. If you watch how any food is prepared you can find a way to be disgusted. You're supposed to eat food and not watch it like it's NFL Sunday.
  • gsop22
    gsop22 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I'm addicted to Starbucks and similar coffee shops. =( Maybe that's more unhealthy for my budget than my body though. lol

I do go to Starbucks alot and get an espresso now. Its cheap and almost no calories. Hate spending so much on a coffee or drink a simialr drink.

I did use to love Mcdonalds, but have not had any for about 7 weeks. Gotta say I don't miss it that much.
  • sunshyncatra
    sunshyncatra Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    The answer for me is to be prepared with healthier options. Keep cheese sticks, yogurt, fresh fruits, veggies, etc. for the snacking. If you need quick options, try some microwave meals (I know it is processed, but there are some decent options out there), salads (have toppings readily available), or simple recipes (I'm hooked on French toast with unsweetened jam).
  • goalss4nika
    goalss4nika Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    No tips! JUST STOP IT! It's a waste of calories and money. I would say I was addicted to fast food, but I also wanted to lose weight. I made a choice and I believe you can also. I haven't had it in over 130 days and I don't miss it at all. Good Luck to you! You can do it :flowerforyou:
  • southerndream24
    southerndream24 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Once upon a time, I use to eat fast food a lot. I gave it up in 2010 and I haven't looked back because my health is too important. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy things like burgers and fries, but when I indulge in it, I'm eating Shake Shack over that crap called food at McDonald's. Plus, I'm not eating it every single day.

After 3 years of not eating fast "food" the mere smell of it makes me sick to my stomach and if I were to eat it my intestines would stage a revolt.

Tip. If it's important to you, you'll find a way. Pull up your big boy panties and leave it alone if you know you can't control yourself. You have to actively get in your car (or walk if in my city) to get it. So don't!
  • blaqueskye
    Options
    I am also on a weight loss journey and can often times feel unmotivated to exercise. Although, I continue to eat well during those periods of not feeling motivated enough to workout. You have lost 35lbs (which is awesome!!) and eating fast food will have you feeling bad -- because of bloating (that processed food feeling), gained weight, and you knowing whole-heartedly that you shouldn't have given in to this temptation.

I recently wrote an article on how to begin clean eating. These are the tips I have taken to stop my fast food addiction. Check it out and I hope it helps you to kick your fast food habit as well.

http://voices.yahoo.com/driving-past-drive-thru-5-tips-begin-clean-12229145.html
  • sunshyncatra
    sunshyncatra Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    I have to add that I naturally stopped craving fast food after about a month of eating healthier. Some of it actually makes me sick now because my body isn't used to fried things. I now crave Brussels sprouts and spinach, lol.
  • cebanks924
    Options
    I don't want to sound mean, but all it takes is a little self control. You don't *have* to find yourself in the drive-through every day. Just pass right on by that McDonald's entrance and feel proud of yourself that at least for today, you are not putting all of that nasty grease into your body.
  • jaliving
    jaliving Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    1. Studies are starting to show that the chemicals in fast food are quite dangerous to the human body. They've been so in mice for quite some time. However, this is still relatively unexplored by science. Acrylamide is created during the frying process. It gives french fries that nice crunch. It has already been tagged to be a possible carcinogen. Benzoic Acid/Sodium Benzoate inhibit digestive enzymes and have been link asthma attacks. HFC is linked to an increase in heart disease. Just remember, at one time people though Monosodium glutamate (MSG) was safe for consumption. Now we know better! Potassium Bromate, which increases white bread volume and is use in buns is known to cause cancer in animals. In California, products with Potassium Bromate are required to carry a warning label.

2. Fast food is addictive in both physical and psychological senses. It should be obvious that people can develop a psychological dependency on fast food. Anybody who possibly could think otherwise is simply not thinking. As for a physical and chemical addiction, a study in March of 2010 showed fast food to be as addictive as heroin and cocaine. In the study, the pleasure centers of the brain in mice were overstimulated. Here is an excerpt from an article:

"In another study, researchers at Albert Einstein College of Medicine in New York City showed that feeding rats a diet high in saturated fat, calories and sugar -- which is the typical make-up for a fast-food menu item -- lowered the rats ability to respond to leptin, a hormone that helps regulate eating behavior by controlling how full one feels. As rats grew fatter, the amount of leptin in their bodies increased signaling that they were dangerously close to starvation. They continued to overeat and gain weight."

Source: http://www.thatsfit.com/2010/03/30/fast-food-is-like-heroin-studies-find/

Think about that for a moment. Fast Food causes hormonal changes! :noway:

I don't want to sound mean, but all it takes is a little self control...

If you do not want sound mean, don't say mean things. To diminish the challenge someone faces when overcoming obstacles is mean. Fast Food is full of drugs. Quitting them is damn hard. It takes more than just a "little self control". It takes discipline and effort, sometimes by the second! I smoked cigarettes for close 15 years of my life. One day I quit - just quit. It looked easy to my friends, but it was anything buy. The cravings, the headaches, the anger, it was a nightmare. There is no difference quitting smoking and quitting fast food. I know, I quit that too!

To the OP: Keep your head up. Take it one step at a time. There will be times you won't see the light at the end, but that is okay. Just keep focusing on your feet. Make sure they keep moving in front of each other. In time, you will win your race!
  • adrien73
    adrien73 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I too eat it just about once a day. Sometimes I will skip two days only because I get embarrassed that I eat it so much. If I can cut out the fast food I would def loose weight. I just can't seem to do it. UGH!