Anyone else addicted to fast food?

Options

Replies

• ames105
    ames105 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I used to have McDonald's breakfast every day. I felt like something was missing if I didn't have it. I craved it, wanted it. Is that an addiction? Its debatable. Maybe it was an addiction, or maybe it was an excuse because I didn't like to take the time to make something at home and I was very afraid of ever feeling hungry.

I do know that, since I gave it up, my cholesteral level has dropped substantially, I feel better, have more energy and have clearer skin. All good things. I decided to treat myself yesterday to a Sausage McMuffin and I could only eat half of it. It didn't taste good to me any longer.

It was hard to give up but I'm so glad I did.
  • iTStaRTsN0W
    iTStaRTsN0W Posts: 106
    Options
    i love it, i can taste a burger sometimes =( what ive learned to do is just order a salad, or make one special day to have it. i dont go over on my calories bc i incorporate it into my calories.
  • lgoldfarb
    lgoldfarb Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I have weeks like that too, sometimes it seems like I eat junk for every meal. Then the next week I'll be so much better about my food choices. I don't have a lot of time to cook, sometimes just getting to the grocery store is hard. If I do have to go through a drivethrough for lunch or dinner, I'll get a kids meal. You'll at least save some calories and it will satisfy the craving just as a regular meal would.
  • tbullucks06
    tbullucks06 Posts: 128
    Options
    I was raised by a single dad who took us out for fast food all the time. He would go out on the weekends to singles dances and call me at 2am on the way home to see if I wanted Burger King. I never turned it down. No wonder why I'm fat!! To this day I would rather eat fast food than anything else. But like others have said - you just have to make it work for you. It doesn't have to be forbidden.
  • meadow_sage
    meadow_sage Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    So I've been successfully been losing weight for four months now and every once in a while I fall back into my old habits of eating greasy fast food everyday. This past week has been really terrible because I've had burgers, fries, soda and junk food almost everyday. It's so tempting, easy and convenient. It's like I'm addicted to it. Does anyone have any tips to stopping this madness? It's really hindering my progress. I have gained back 5 of the 35 pounds I have lost my willpower and motivation all of a sudden. Just a few weeks ago I ran 80 miles in 20 days and this past week my exercise has been zero. Looking for some motivation and tips. Thanks.

Different things work for different people. What works for me is planning and preparing for my meals ahead of time. I even log ahead of time. If I have it all set in stone what I'm eating when....I tend to stick to the plan better and aviod those fast food temptations. I used to eat McDonalds for breakfast, almost everyday.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I'm uncomfortable with labeling the frequent consumption of fast food as an addiction. Sort of depreciates the struggle a person with say a drug or alcohol addiction may go through? That being said. Maybe you could begin cooking more at home, then do some more exercise so that you have more calories to fit in a fast food treat here and there?

No offense, but please don't negate any type of addiction. There are many process addictions (which are addictions that do not affect the chemical process of the persons mind or body), such as gambling, eating, shopping etc, and there are chemical addictions (which interfere with the chemical make-up of your body), i.e. drugs, alcohol. I am an addiction studies major now going into my third year and it really flips my ticker when people think that eating cannot be a "real" addiction. Yes it is in the mind, yes it may be a mental thought, but it is an addiction none the less. Either way, no matter the choice of the "drug" everyone struggles and everyone fights their demons in their own ways.

With that being said OP...you are an adult. YOU make your own decision and YOU have the choice to say no. When you choose to say yes, you overlook the negative effects it is going to have on you for the immediate pleasure, and deal with the guilt and possible shame AFTER the deed is done. This IS a classic sign of an addiction. Fast food can be acceptable if you can fit it into your macros every now and again. Is it possible to eat fast food every day and stay in your caloric budget? Sure...but it would suck and it wouldn't be very healthy as far as nutrition goes. Your body needs fresh unprocessed foods. If you honestly feel like you have a problem with fast food, you can always look into over eaters anonymous online for extra support.

eta: definitions of chemical and process addictions for more clear explanation

So when a person is deep into the cycle of addiction what kind of advice can you offer for him or her to break the cycle?

When the feelings of loss come up without the addiction what can one do?
  • VeganCoco
    VeganCoco Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    1. Studies are starting to show that the chemicals in fast food are quite dangerous to the human body. They've been so in mice for quite some time. However, this is still relatively unexplored by science. Acrylamide is created during the frying process. It gives french fries that nice crunch. It has already been tagged to be a possible carcinogen. Benzoic Acid/Sodium Benzoate inhibit digestive enzymes and have been link asthma attacks. HFC is linked to an increase in heart disease. Just remember, at one time people though Monosodium glutamate (MSG) was safe for consumption. Now we know better! Potassium Bromate, which increases white bread volume and is use in buns is known to cause cancer in animals. In California, products with Potassium Bromate are required to carry a warning label.

2. Fast food is addictive in both physical and psychological senses. It should be obvious that people can develop a psychological dependency on fast food. Anybody who possibly could think otherwise is simply not thinking. As for a physical and chemical addiction, a study in March of 2010 showed fast food to be as addictive as heroin and cocaine. In the study, the pleasure centers of the brain in mice were overstimulated. Here is an excerpt from an article:

"In another study, researchers at Albert Einstein College of Medicine in New York City showed that feeding rats a diet high in saturated fat, calories and sugar -- which is the typical make-up for a fast-food menu item -- lowered the rats ability to respond to leptin, a hormone that helps regulate eating behavior by controlling how full one feels. As rats grew fatter, the amount of leptin in their bodies increased signaling that they were dangerously close to starvation. They continued to overeat and gain weight."

Source: http://www.thatsfit.com/2010/03/30/fast-food-is-like-heroin-studies-find/

Think about that for a moment. Fast Food causes hormonal changes! :noway:

I don't want to sound mean, but all it takes is a little self control...

If you do not want sound mean, don't say mean things. To diminish the challenge someone faces when overcoming obstacles is mean. Fast Food is full of drugs. Quitting them is damn hard. It takes more than just a "little self control". It takes discipline and effort, sometimes by the second! I smoked cigarettes for close 15 years of my life. One day I quit - just quit. It looked easy to my friends, but it was anything buy. The cravings, the headaches, the anger, it was a nightmare. There is no difference quitting smoking and quitting fast food. I know, I quit that too!

To the OP: Keep your head up. Take it one step at a time. There will be times you won't see the light at the end, but that is okay. Just keep focusing on your feet. Make sure they keep moving in front of each other. In time, you will win your race!

I was just about to say all of this! Well said!

I won't reiterate it all but here are a couple (all be it simple versions of) the studies that have been done. I agree that a lot of people say they are addicted when really they lack willpower, I certainly am not addicted, but I believe I used to be. It does not however mean that it doesn't exist and that the addictive properties of food are not a valid issue for people trying to lose weight.

http://www.undergroundhealth.com/fast-food-as-addictive-as-heroin-study-confirms/

http://www.prevention.com/food/healthy-eating-tips/junk-food-addiction-and-how-break-cycle

I know exactly how you are feeling OP, I go through cycles like this, I lose 5 pounds and put on 6 when I'm in these moods. I find that for me when my eating is out of whack I find it hard to get back onto the right path as I constantly feel low, moody and 'what's the point' about everything (a side effect of the food, ironically). This then interferes with my exercise (the 'what's the point' mood strikes again) and usually goes of for about a week until I kick my *kitten* and get back to where I was pre-slump :)

The way I usually get back on track is I book in some exercise and don't even let myself consider cancelling it (for example, I am doing this tomorrow as I've had an awful week) so I'm at Crossfit tomorrow and then yoga. Then I have a green smoothie for breakfast (kale, spinach, pineapple, banana, protein powder and chia seed maybe mmmm) because something about starting my day with something healthy that just gets me in the right frame of mind (I don't know about you but I can be awful for thinking 'well I already ate junk for lunch I might as well eat more - so it's a positive thing for me to START the day right). I clear out my fridge and buy healthy food for the week and I clean my flat. All that and then maybe 5 minutes looking at some goal-inspiring pictures usually gets me back on track!

Oh and I weigh myself on the morning I plan to get back on track and even if it's 6-7lbs heavier than I normally am I don't let it bother me, I usually lose it in 2 days (mainly sodium induced water weight and the weight of the actual food in my stomach I think) because even though knowing you've gained is not nice it's still nice to see the numbers go back down - that's positive for me and it also serves as a reminder not to fall off the wagon again any time soon!

Good luck! xxx

PS: I can't remember who it was but whoever said 'junk food isn't addictive - you can stop if you want' has clearly never heard about people beating drug addictions! Just because you CAN does't mean YOU can.
  • goodnamegone
    goodnamegone Posts: 237
    Options
    If you feel addicted and that means you are unable to stop on your own then try maybe a 12 step program for eating, there you can get support and motivation to eat more healthy. I do think there are chemicals in fast food that can be addictive. I also know that sugar can be addictive.

I doing a program seems a bit extreme and you feel like you can handle this on your own then start with eating a healthy breakfast, then have a healthy lunch, nice food that you love that is also healthy. Then do the same with dinner. Approach this ONE day at a time.

The motivation to exercise will return when you are eating well and are not sluggish from the poison of fast food. Good luck with this, you can do it!!!
  • broox80
    broox80 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I have been fighting all week not to go to Hardees and get a bacon egg cheese biscuit!!!! I have planned it in for tomorrow so I can eat it and get it out of my system so I quit thinking about it!! :tongue:
  • NumbrsNerd
    NumbrsNerd Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    If it's that important to you, you can incorporate it into your goals. Even daily. Keep within your caloric goals, hit your nutrient needs, and enjoy.

You're not addicted to fast food, no one is. Habitiual, maybe, but not addiction.

^This. I eat fast food A LOT too!
  • megsi474
    megsi474 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say addicted, but definitely had a bad habit. I also got into the mindset of "I already blew it this week/day, so..." and would only eat more. I started cooking from home- sometimes even the same stuff I'd have out but with less grease and salt- and would do small goals- planning a meal out one specific day or going a week without. I still have it every so often but it doesn't hold the same interest and satisfaction it used to. I won't say I'll give it up forever because I know it's not true, but there is so much stuff out there that tastes just as good if not better and I've come to be proud that it comes from my own kitchen.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    Fast Food is full of drugs. Quitting them is damn hard.

Name three. :huh:
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    I eat fast food every week. As long as it fits into my calories I'm still losing.

The thing that always kicks my butt is eating at Chilis. Unless I stick to something like a house salad, I always have a gain after eating there. Even if I eat half of something and still stay inside my calories. I'm guessing I put on two pounds of water from all the salt in it.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    So I've been successfully been losing weight for four months now and every once in a while I fall back into my old habits of eating greasy fast food everyday. This past week has been really terrible because I've had burgers, fries, soda and junk food almost everyday. It's so tempting, easy and convenient. It's like I'm addicted to it. Does anyone have any tips to stopping this madness? It's really hindering my progress. I have gained back 5 of the 35 pounds I have lost my willpower and motivation all of a sudden. Just a few weeks ago I ran 80 miles in 20 days and this past week my exercise has been zero. Looking for some motivation and tips. Thanks.

I get fast food 3-7 times a week. The reason I'm successful is that I fit this food into my daily goals instead of telling myself it's all automatically bad, and therefore "failing" myself every time I hit the drive-through.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    i just wanted to stop by and say hi so that i have 2 RIDICULOUS "addiction" threads in my newsfeed.

carry on.
  • VeganCoco
    Options

Caffeine
    Theobromine
    Phenylethylamine
    Casomorphins

Not to mention chuff loads of MSG and sugar along with carcinogenic chemicals.

But the real issue is the effect that the chemicals have on your hormones (much the same as in drugs) and the reward centre of the brain, huge increases in dopamine are noted in food addiction in the same fashion as in cocaine addiction for example.
  • akafede
    akafede Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I just love homemade food, I went to mcdonalds and bking like 3 times in my entire life and I'm fat also so...
    But I have no doubt that homemade food has lets say "better quality calories".
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options

Caffeine
    Theobromine
    Phenylethylamine
    Casomorphins

But the real issue is the effect that the chemicals have on your hormones (much the same as in drugs) and the reward centre of the brain, huge increases in dopamine are noted in food addiction in the same fashion as in cocaine addiction for example.

Phenethylamine is widely distributed throughout the plant kingdom

Theobromine is the primary alkaloid found in cocoa and chocolate, Theobromine can also be found in small amounts in the kola nut

Caffeine is in coffee and tea as well as many other things, and according to several RDN's coffee and tea is actually good for you in moderation...just like everything else...in mod-er-a-tion.

The "chemicals" have as much control of your hormones as you let them...it's called willpower. The ability to "just say no." No addiction, I have NEVER seen one single withdrawl symptom from lack of Double Quarter Pounder w/Cheese and fries. Never. However...there was that 911 call in Florida when McDonalds was out of chicken nuggets...so, there's that.
  • VeganCoco
    Options

Caffeine
    Theobromine
    Phenylethylamine
    Casomorphins

Phenethylamine is widely distributed throughout the plant kingdom

Theobromine is the primary alkaloid found in cocoa and chocolate, Theobromine can also be found in small amounts in the kola nut

Caffeine is in coffee and tea as well as many other things, and according to several RDN's coffee and tea is actually good for you in moderation...just like everything else...in mod-er-a-tion.

The "chemicals" have as much control of your hormones as you let them...it's called willpower. The ability to "just say no." No addiction, I have NEVER seen one single withdrawl symptom from lack of Double Quarter Pounder w/Cheese and fries. Never. However...there was that 911 call in Florida when McDonalds was out of chicken nuggets...so, there's that.

So because you have not seen it it does not exist? I have learned from time on MFP not to waste my time trying to convince people. Myself and others have posted links to further proof of actual food addiction, not everyone can control their willpower in the same way and some people do develop actual addiction (actually likened to similar level to heroin addiction) to food. I am not saying that everyone overweight is addicted, merely that food addiction is real and exists and can contribute to peoples inability to lose weight and control their eating.

Anyway, good job you cracked the whole 'drug problem' thing, I'll make sure I let all of those people that find it hard to function without coffee know that cutting out caffeine doesn't cause withdrawal symptoms.

I'll also let all of the Cocaine addicts know that they're not really addicted, because cocaine comes from a plant, right?

Not to mention Heroin addicts that are obviously not addicted either, as Heroin is derived from Poppies?

I don't think so somehow.
  • Mishinmite
    Mishinmite Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    If you deny yourself something you crave this badly, you're going to obsess over it and end up indulging way too much. A friend of mine used to order a Whopper, no cheese, no mayo and throw away the bun putting all the ingredients on white wheat instead. You could also try making your own healthier versions at home. Or just order the regular hamburger instead of the Triple Whopper.