1234568»

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Chadxx wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I saw someone post no deadlifts?! I just got back from PF and I did deadlifts and so did a muscular man next to me. As I've done many times before.
    Yes, they have pizza night, I've never participated but once a month pizza isn't bad.
    Yes, if you throw weights, I mean really slam them staff will sound the alarm. Hardly ever happens.
    There's all types - muscle men and women, beginners, very fit to older gentlemen whom have worn jeans while exercising. As long as they're in there trying, hey, that's great. To each their own

How does one do deadlifts without bumper plates and/or a platform...the floor will get jacked.

You don't need bumper plates for deadlifting and a rubber floor is fine. If you need bumper plates, you aren't in control of the weight.

I take it you've never done a 1RM and failed...

And really, if you have a few hundred pounds of iron constantly hitting the floor, even if it's controlled, that's going to jack a floor up. I mean, they make bumper plates and platforms for a reason...
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    MrsKila wrote: »
    Lol...the stereotypes just keep on coming...people in other gyms are wearing flashy clothes? Most people in any gym I've been in wear whatever...I wear shorts and a t-shirt...

Good job PF...you have been very successful getting people to believe all kinds of stereotypes..

Yup, flashy clothes. I can only discuss what goes on in my area. I have three gyms that are very close to me. And I've tried all of them. The other two (which I will not name the names) For the most part ( most not all) people come in with their cute little clothes, sit around and talk to people all day. They don't want to sweat, they don't want to work out, it's a big fashion show and a meeting station. Not saying that this happens everywhere but I'm saying it happens where I live and I'm glad that Planet Fitness is not like that. Not stereotyping, just stating facts.

Those aren't gyms then...more likely fitness clubs or something...

Gyms have barbells and iron and chalk and sleds.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    Oh! Just remembered my ex landlord credited PF with helping him lose 100 pounds.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    https://youtu.be/QQm06odkHAQ
    Bradley Martyn Goes To Planet Fitness And Trolls The Place!

We are going to break the news first before you get into the video but Bradley does not get kicked out of the place.

He decides to spend a long time in the gym in order to see what all the hype is about it.

We’ve heard the stories about the lunk alarm and people getting kicked out because of it.

Bradley sets the rumors straight.

It really isn’t that bad of a gym after all, well at least the staff at this one are pretty nice.

Planet fitness has been labeled as an anti-bodybuilding gym.

This is because of all the videos of bodybuilders training at planet fitness.

They end up being asked to leave because of grunting and smashing their weights on the ground.

In the video you will see:
    • Just how much planet fitness staff actually police bodybuilders.
    • The legendary “lunk alarm”.
    • The kind of equipment they have to offer.
    • Also Bradley goes over some awesome tips about training.
    • The video is a little long but it is definitely worth watching.

If you don’t want to watch the whole video try skipping 5-1o mins into it, that is where things get good.
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    https://youtu.be/QQm06odkHAQ
    Bradley Martyn Goes To Planet Fitness And Trolls The Place!

We are going to break the news first before you get into the video but Bradley does not get kicked out of the place.

He decides to spend a long time in the gym in order to see what all the hype is about it.

We’ve heard the stories about the lunk alarm and people getting kicked out because of it.

Bradley sets the rumors straight.

It really isn’t that bad of a gym after all, well at least the staff at this one are pretty nice.

Planet fitness has been labeled as an anti-bodybuilding gym.

This is because of all the videos of bodybuilders training at planet fitness.

They end up being asked to leave because of grunting and smashing their weights on the ground.

In the video you will see:
    • Just how much planet fitness staff actually police bodybuilders.
    • The legendary “lunk alarm”.
    • The kind of equipment they have to offer.
    • Also Bradley goes over some awesome tips about training.
    • The video is a little long but it is definitely worth watching.

If you don’t want to watch the whole video try skipping 5-1o mins into it, that is where things get good.

Good lord...I could look at him all day long. :blush:
  • KassLea22
    KassLea22 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    Depends on what you want. If you're primarily looking at working on cardio machines it's fine...if you do resistance training and you're fine with machines and a handful of free weights, it's fine. If you want to get into weight lifting at all, it's pretty sub-optimal at best. It's an OK starter fitness center...would hesitate to call it a gym.

I don't care for their fit shaming marketing.

this. Great "starter" gym- or even a great second gym.

But it's a far cry from an actual gym.

I agree...not a place for me. They profit off of people's insecurities and fear of the gym by enforcing stereotypes that are untrue 95% of the time.
  • Sheisinlove109
    Sheisinlove109 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I belong to PF. Good mix of people and levels. I'm a big girl and don't worry about what other people think there.

As for the actual equipment and amenities...not the best. Our doesn't have a rower or anything other than the standard stuff.
  • SeikoMonster
    SeikoMonster Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    For the people hating on pizza Mondays or whatever. Think about this. If you are on a diet (like most of us here) The last thing in the world you want to do is buy a whole pizza. But garbing a slice once a month can easily fit in the calorie budget without the temptation to eat a whole damn pizza.

Lunk alarm/clothing/no deadlifts is all gym by gym. Most PF's are franchise operations, so the rules and how they are applied vary.

Not a PF defender, but sick of the same BS every time its brought up.
    Its a fantastic starter gym that is real cheap. No its not going to make you Schwarzenegger, but 99% of people don't want that. They want to go run on the treadmill and do a light weight routine a few days a week.