When someone asks for your 'secret'

Options

Replies

• Madwife2009
    Madwife2009 Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I just tell them it's a secret because they aren't really interested in the truth; it's too much like hard work for most people who ask me :)
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    I tell them I ride my bike a lot and eat well.
  • melodysf10
    melodysf10 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I tell people I lowered my calories and started exercising. They loose interest almost immediately. I guess that doesn't sound like a fun way to loose.
  • fit_chickx
    fit_chickx Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I have friends that are fitness/health minded and friends that struggle with weight. It's ok that some of my friends are not ready or don't want to make changes.

When asked, I don't mind talking about my lifestyle. I am a cheerleader for anyone who wants to get healthy.
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Theo166 wrote: »
    fried slugs, blended with slimfast, that's what I I'll tell them.
    It'll make CICO look more interesting.

Yeah, but how much oil do you use to fry the slugs? Wouldn't baking them be lower calorie?
  • tabletop_joe
    tabletop_joe Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    I hate it when people comment about my appearance, period. Especially about weight stuff--people get so weird and chirpy about it.
  • tabletop_joe
    tabletop_joe Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    Down-market escargot. B)
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Remoth wrote: »
    Theo166 wrote: »
    fried slugs, blended with slimfast, that's what I I'll tell them.
    It'll make CICO look more interesting.

Yeah, but how much oil do you use to fry the slugs? Wouldn't baking them be lower calorie?

Doesn't work. You need to fry them quickly while still alive(kinda like boiling a lobster). Otherwise they just crawl around all over the oven. ;)

But they don't need oil. Enough natural slime that they don't stick to the pan.

Other option is just treat them like Oysters and down them raw.

Have you ever handled the little suckers?!?! That slime stuff is sticky! I was scrubbing with a hard-bristle brush and Dawn dish detergent, and practically had the skin off my hand before the slime residue was gone!

(I'm serious. I wasn't cooking them for weight loss, I was trying to get them the (baby feline) out of my garden.)

Slugs carry liver flukes. Do not handle them. Ever. Please, even in jest. I'm getting super-grossed out just thinking about this.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    kitkatlp wrote: »
    xmichaelyx wrote: »
    "Eat less; move more."

I really struggle with this. It's not about eating less (quantities of food that keep you satisfied) which is a concept I have always rejected and knew it would be impossible for me (and I suppose for a lot of people too).
    Feeling hungry all the time is a no-go. And that is why MFP is all about I think.

It's about making choices of food that will keep you satisfied but will not exceed your daily calorie intake.
    It's also about learning the calories associated with food. I used to believe in all the crap we hear i.e. don't eat this if you want to lose weight, etc...
    Now, I know that from a weight loss perspective, all food is good as long as you create that calorie deficit.

So, as a conclusion I would definitely rephrase "Eat less, move more" by saying:

"Eat fewer calories than you burn in a way that you would be always satisfied".

That might be what you originally meant but that's definitely not what people hear.

This makes that assumption that such a thing is possible for everyone. I've talked to quite a lot of people who can and will still be hungry, even exceeding their caloric intake on energy sparse foods, like lean meats and non-starchy vegetables.

I on the other hand, have to go obscenely low in calories before hunger becomes even remotely problematic. Hell, I didn't even know what real hunger was, until I started running PSMFs for cutting.
  • Morgaen73
    Morgaen73 Posts: 2,818 Member
    Options
    Urgh that vacant stare ... I just normally say I'm taking super secret experimental medication. It makes more sense to most people than "eat less move more"
  • mir1104
    mir1104 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    They do that at work here, I usually tell them they chain me in the basement overnight so I cannot leave and most definitely cannot eat. Proof is that I'm in so early every morning!
    They chuckle and the embarrassing moment is over!
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    kitkatlp wrote: »
    xmichaelyx wrote: »
    "Eat less; move more."

I really struggle with this. It's not about eating less (quantities of food that keep you satisfied) which is a concept I have always rejected and knew it would be impossible for me (and I suppose for a lot of people too).
    Feeling hungry all the time is a no-go. And that is why MFP is all about I think.

It's about making choices of food that will keep you satisfied but will not exceed your daily calorie intake.
    It's also about learning the calories associated with food. I used to believe in all the crap we hear i.e. don't eat this if you want to lose weight, etc...
    Now, I know that from a weight loss perspective, all food is good as long as you create that calorie deficit.

So, as a conclusion I would definitely rephrase "Eat less, move more" by saying:

"Eat fewer calories than you burn in a way that you would be always satisfied".

That might be what you originally meant but that's definitely not what people hear.

I pretty much agree with @Gallowmere1984 , but I've also been wondering along these same lines you've expressed. I wonder if people's eyes glaze over because they know they need to eat less [calories] and move more. But maybe what they're really asking is, "hey, you were a couch potato like me, what suddenly got you off your butt and working out regularly; how did you accomplish that? You liked all the same high calorie stuff I do in indiscriminate quantities like we used to eat, how did you manage to switch over and reduce calories?" When we don't provide these answers, they perhaps figure were not in a chatty mood and elect not to bother us anymore. I wonder if that's why many dieters are more likely to buy the shakes etc, it's something actionable they could do TODAY that could hopefully help them where they need to go.

I would ask if they really want the answer. I'm won't go into a long spiel about what I've done if the person isn't really that into it, but just start with "I'm eating less and if you really want I can go into more details". I've got a couple friends who really should listen, but they are not interested so I don't go farther.