Oatmeal is bad?!?

Options

Replies

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Your chiro is goofy and confused.

First, the whole "sticky carb" thing was just correlation showing that white rices that stick together easily are primarily composed of one type of starch, while non-sticky is another. The correlation was that people with a diet high in sticky rice tend toward obesity, while non-sticky eaters do not.

Second, oats were a staple food source for some of the most jacked badasses in history, in Northern Europe.

Third, my n=1 has been that oats contribute less to carb bloat for me, than do potatoes or any kind of rice.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Chiropractic is quack, it's not even evidence-based medicine. Go to certified nutritionist or dietitian.

No, it's not, generally. But that particular one is. He has no business advising someone on their diet. Not sure why anyone would even get into that conversation with their chiropractor.
  • Faye369
    Faye369 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I agree! Oatmeal isn't bad ...... without all the stuff some people put on it, it is one of the best breakfasts you could have! I add hemp hearts or casein protein if I'm eating it before a workout... it's great with coco nibs too.

If he were my chiropractor, I would likely print out some info to give to him so he can educate himself and have some reference material then ignore what he has to say unless it relates to my alignment ;)
  • mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    My go-to breakfast #2. Today: 3/4c old-fashioned oats, 1/4c wheat germ microwaved in water. Served with 1 cut-up apple (today, a Granny Smith). No other sweeteners or flavors or things. 405cal, 16g protein, 7g fat, 15g fiber, 21g sugar (17 from the apple). I'm a big guy, and these portions will hold me satisfied (physically and mentally) until lunch, and I'm on a steady weight-loss trajectory. As part of "the daily plan," I don't think this is a bad start to the day. Oats have beneficial qualities besides being good, if plain, eats.
  • ValleyHooper
    ValleyHooper Posts: 1,993 Member
    Options
    I eat oatmeal all the time. I just do not buy the sugary fruit oatmeals, those are not that great. I cook up some old fashioned regular oats and add a dash of cinnamon, some ground flaxseed or chia seeds, and some fresh fruit or nuts. It keeps me full for a long time and gives me energy... win win.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Generally I disregard any person, book, website, or click bait ad, blog post or article that claims any one food or type of food is inherently "bad" for anyone, regardless of any sort of medical condition.

Anything that proclaims such is immediately dismissed as irrelevant, not science based, and something to ignore.

The fact is that there isn't a single food or type of food that is inherently bad. Any food can be part of an overall balanced, healthy diet in either a calorie deficit to lose or neutral calories to maintain.
  • lorindaleigh
    lorindaleigh Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    There's a reason why he's your chriopractor and not your nutritionist
  • TCampos1960
    TCampos1960 Posts: 1 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    My dietician advised me to eat oatmeal and toast or yogurt whenever possible vs. eggs and bacon for weight loss.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    What stands out to me is his claim that you'll lose 4 lbs if you skip it for a week? Are you eating 2000 calories worth of oatmeal each morning? Smh!

I should totally do this a few hours before lifting tomorrow. The most oats that I usually eat at once, is around 550.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    He's an idiot.

What's with all these chiros thinking that they're qualified to give dietary advice??
    Honestly, I think it should be illegal for medical personnel to offer counsel on matters outside of their area of practice.