Oatmeal is bad?!?

Options
I went to this new chiropractor, and he's gotten into the habit of asking me "did you skip the oatmeal?" When I come in for my appointments. He told me that oatmeal is "sticky carbs" and if I didn't eat it for a week, I would lose 4 pounds.

Let me clarify: I eat one package of no sugar added oatmeal every morning, sometimes with a small scoop of peanut butter. The oatmeal is simply ROLLED OATS. One packet is 100 calories. I would skip the packages and get the big tub of rolled oats instead, but the packages at are easy to keep in my small drawer at work. So I can make some as soon as I get to the office after my morning workout.

I thought plain pats were a good complex carb that I was "allowed" to eat/ especially in the morning!

My head is spinning. Help!!!

Replies

• emfarah
    emfarah Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Haha, funny you say that, he pseudo-reprimanded me for eating an apple before the gym. Thank you so much for your encouragement! Its so hard when one person tells ypu one thing, but someone else tells you another!

Not sure if he studied nutrition, but he sells some dietary supplements in his office.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    emfarah wrote: »
    Haha, funny you say that, he pseudo-reprimanded me for eating an apple before the gym. Thank you so much for your encouragement! Its so hard when one person tells ypu one thing, but someone else tells you another!

Not sure if he studied nutrition, but he sells some dietary supplements in his office.

Many people can sell dietary supplements... Doesn't mean they know anything about nutrition (although most would think they do). He's probably trying to get you to buy them!

Personally, I don't eat Oats often, but I used to make bircher style muesli with Oats, grated apple, cinnamon, yoghurt, and a bit of almond milk. Soaked overnight, then some vanilla protein stirred through and topped with nuts in the morning. Delicious!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Oats are great.

http://www.scottish-at-heart.com/scottish-food.html

I checked, and chiropractors can be certified for giving nutritional advice but frankly I find the whole professional certification to be sketchy.
  • PennWalker
    PennWalker Posts: 554 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options

This is your answer. Run!
  • ugofatcat
    ugofatcat Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Quick question OP, are you losing weight with your current plan?
    Reaverie wrote: »
    I went to this new chiropractor, and he's gotten into the habit of asking me "did you skip the oatmeal?" When I come in for my appointments. He told me that oatmeal is "sticky carbs" and if I didn't eat it for a week, I would lose 4 pounds.

Let me clarify: I eat one package of no sugar added oatmeal every morning, sometimes with a small scoop of peanut butter. The oatmeal is simply ROLLED OATS. One packet is 100 calories. I would skip the packages and get the big tub of rolled oats instead, but the packages at are easy to keep in my small drawer at work. So I can make some as soon as I get to the office after my morning workout.

I thought plain pats were a good complex carb that I was "allowed" to eat/ especially in the morning!

My head is spinning. Help!!!

I just think back to a time when there were no processed foods. What did our ancestors eat? Grains? Wheat? Oats? Fruit? When did obesity become a thing? What was the change?

Portion sized changed. Now we eat portions that 50 years ago would have served 2-3 people. And now most people weight as much as 2-3 people.
  • saintor1
    saintor1 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Time to change your 'professional'. It makes me think of colleagues who told me not to eat my favorite morning snacks - carrots. "Too much sugar" in their opinion (still about half of an apple or orange). lol.