10 a Day (800g) Veggie&Fruit Challenge Participants Check in!

crzycatlady1
crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
edited February 2017 in Challenges
This is a spin off thread to this one-http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10520032/10-portions-of-fruit-and-veg-a-day/p1

and is based off of this article
https://www.theguardian.com/society/2017/feb/23/five-day-10-portions-fruit-veg-cut-early-death

A few of us decided to challenge ourselves to try and hit the daily recommended amount of vegetables and fruit:10 servings ie 800grams. If this is something you'd like to challenge yourself to do, then please join in!

The Challenge

-aim to eat 800g of vegetables and fruit each day, in any combination, Monday, February 27th-Friday, March 3rd
-what counts? I'll be going by these guidelines http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/5ADAY/Pages/Whatcounts.aspx
-don't worry if you can't hit 800g! This is a fun, low pressure challenge to encourage us to eat more veggies and fruit :)

If you're going to join in, please post in this thread with updates as the week progresses. Do you have a menu planned? Are you trying new vegetables and/or fruit? Have you found a new recipe that you're going to try? Was shopping for all your produce different than from how you normally shop? Feel free to answer any of these questions (or none at all lol).

And then if you want you can keep a daily, running total with how many grams of vegetables and fruit you're eating!

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    I'm in.
  • crzycatlady1
    I'm in.

Welcome aboard :)
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,956 Member
    edited February 2017
    I'm in! I've been a bit slack on the old veggies the last couple of weeks.

I'll have to try and work out how many grams of veg are in my eggplant zucchini and lentil bake for lunch, and my chicken veggie soup for dinner. I made both from scratch but logged by number of servings instead of weight.
  • crzycatlady1
    I headed to the store this afternoon to get the things I have planned for this week (I've made a tentative menu plan). I'm not a big fresh produce buyer but just the way things worked out with my menu I ended up buying mostly fresh. And dang! That's not cheap :* I spent around $25 on produce, just for myself. That's 1/4 of my entire weekly grocery budget for my family of 5! Part of the problem was that I realized I'm pretty picky when it comes to vegetables and fruit. Almost all the sale items I didn't like so I ended up paying full price for several things. With it being off season here in MI, that added up quick. If this is something I keep doing long term, I really need to expand my horizons and try new things.

Hopefully I now have 4,000 grams worth of produce in the house to get me through Friday-I really don't want to go back to the store lol.
  • Sairzie
    Sairzie Posts: 122 Member
    I'm in! I was easily hitting this target in January...then this month slipped off the healthy wagon a bit!

Back on track tomorrow with a food delivery packed full of delicious fruit and veggies!
  • crzycatlady1
    Glad to see so many joining in!
  • tojo567
    tojo567 Posts: 5 Member
    I started it this morning. I had half a banana, a grapefruit and a blood orange.
    Do you worry about all the sugar you're eating with fruits?
  • crzycatlady1
    tojo567 wrote: »
    I started it this morning. I had half a banana, a grapefruit and a blood orange.
    Do you worry about all the sugar you're eating with fruits?

I'll be tracking everything this week as part of the challenge but otherwise I don't track sugar intake at all. Unless you have a medical condition where you need to limit sugar intake, there's no reason to worry about it :)
  • crzycatlady1
    edited February 2017
    So, going to try and keep my IF schedule of two meals, but I am going to add an afternoon snack every day this week to fit everything in.

I don't usually track anything besides my calorie intake (on a piece of paper), but this week I'm logging everything on MFP and at the end of the day will report here how many grams of veggies and fruit I ate, along with my calorie/macro breakdown etc.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    I'm in!

Doesn't mean I can do it but I'll give it a shot
  • DaintyWhisper
    DaintyWhisper Posts: 221 Member
    I want to give this a try! I just went grocery shopping and hopefully have enough fruits and veggies to make it all week.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    I'm cutting calories due to having to decrease my activity, but I'll be in. Why not go for broke!
  • crzycatlady1
    Yay, glad to see everyone jumping in! I just started defrosting the ground beef I'm going to be adding to my epic taco salad :D Will be breaking my daily fast at around 11:30am and then it's game on lol!
  • tojo567
    tojo567 Posts: 5 Member

I'll be tracking everything this week as part of the challenge but otherwise I don't track sugar intake at all. Unless you have a medical condition where you need to limit sugar intake, there's no reason to worry about it :) [/quote]

thanks for the reply :smiley:
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    I'm in. I haven't been great at eating enough veg lately so this challenge may give me the push I need.

So off to the store. Hope there's a produce sale.