March 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    @ddmom0811

that sounds an absolute nightmare, but I couldn't help thinking it couldn't be true!!!

The group I am doing my half with had a nightmare with their 10mile medals, which were randomly stopped at customs in Hong Kong and didn't make it on time. Thankfully the RD told everyone first and practically drove to Heathrow to get them. A somewhat different story is becoming clear in the Bath Half marathon, where more runners than expected actually took part (they estimate a 30% no show rate) so the last 700 people who cross the finish line didn't get a medal.

What makes it doubly worse I think, is that the last 700 people are the people for whom a medal is probably the most important. They are the ones who really struggled to get to the finish line, and to end without the promised medal to show for it is pretty appalling.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    http://www.runnation.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/tynedale-elevation.jpg

Can anyone suggest a decent training plan for the attached route?

It's the two large hills that I'm thinking about mainly. I don't live any where near the course so can't train on it.

• garygse
    garygse Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    01 - 13.30
    02 - 9.87
    03 - 18.13
    06 - 13.37
    07 - 7.13
    08 - 13.37
    09 - 10.27
    10 - 18.43
    13 - 13.34
    14 - 10.66
    15 - 13.36

Total: 141.23 / 200 miles
  • garygse
    garygse Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    @WhatMeRunning Have you set the max heart rate on your Garmin correctly? If you haven't, and your true max HR is a lot higher than what Garmin assumes it to be, then it will impact any TE scores and recovery times as it thinks you're working harder than what you really are.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Well done@MNLittleFinn :)
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    @garygse - I've been thinking that too, it just seems counter-intuitive. I would have expected my HR levels to have dropped, if anything, from last Spring when things did seem to be pretty well dialed in and I was doing 40-50 mpw at personal best paces. It's been consistent though, logging easy runs in the upper 3's, and today's run in the 4's. My Sport Tracks data (which is fed from my Garmin) makes it look like I am trying to kill myself on my Health graph! :lol:

All that said, I haven't even measured my resting heart rate. I have not attempted any sort of LT test (didn't want to do any stressful speed running yet). May be time to try and get this figured out though.
  • ctlaws44
    ctlaws44 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Date activity Run dist (mi) Avg Pace (min/mi)
    1-Mar Yoga 60 min/onion-pub run 7.8 __ 8:23
    2-Mar rest
    3-Mar rest
    4-Mar Ft. Eustis 10K 7.9 __ 7:28
    5-Mar 20 lb easy run 4.4 __ 8:38
    6-Mar Yoga 60 min/lifting 30min
    7-Mar rest
    8-Mar Yoga 60 min / lifting 30min / run 7.8 __ 8:07
    9-Mar rest
    10-Mar Lifting 30 min
    11-Mar run 4.4 __ 9:00
    12-Mar rest
    13-Mar Lifting 30 min/run 3.5 __ 9:01
    14-Mar run 4 __ 7:58
    15-Mar Lifting 30 min

Goal (miles) 80
    left (miles) 40.2

Man, it's gotten cold in SE Va!! I know a lot of y'all have been dealing with this all winter. I can't imagine. I wanted to do a nice easy 6-7 miles last night but once that 20 deg windchill hit me, I couldn't help but go faster to get and stay relatively warm. Ides of March and I'm on pace to meet my goal! Safe running prayers for everyone trying to get their miles in that mess up north.
  • WhatMeRunning
    Options
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    So true. We were in the group at the finish line once cheering in the final finishers when we heard that dreaded whisper from the presenters of having no more medals, That ripple went through the crowd and medals magically appeared for every one of the final finishers. Then we went for Beer as reward.
    That is awesome! I know one would appear if I was there. I've been DAL a couple times (something I don't like admitting) and while I took them in stride, I would never want anyone in the back there to feel unrewarded.
  • WhatMeRunning
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Glad your son is OK @7lenny7. Too bad that lady may not get her come-uppance for that crap! Class move by the 19 yo!

All this plus the other recent stories (the self defense lady, the race gone bad) all make me laugh about how I spent the last hour or so combing through my recent run data to fudge up a new Max HR (from 180 to 189) and training zone run paces (way down). Me and my first world problems! :lol: I'm a lot happier with how the last couple weeks are looking in Strava right now based on perceived effort compared to HR efforts reported, and how that is matching up to the pace distributions. I'm waiting on Sport Tracks to recalc everything (I can either reset all data or none) but I bet it will seem a lot more reasonable too.
  • HRKinchen
    HRKinchen Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 - So glad your son is ok!! I'm just stunned about the way it happened. That woman definitely has something coming to her. :rage:
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    @dpwellman ironically, as much as I love trail running over road running, it's the road Ragnar that appeals to me more than the trail Ragnar. As I understand it the trail Ragnars are multiples of short loops. Something about the combination of the road Ragnar combining the long distance running with a road trip appeals to me more. I'd entertain the opportunity to either though.

@_nikkiwolf_ I don't have a target elevation this year...hadn't really thought of it. Last year I stayed fairly flat until I started my current ultra training cycle. The ultra I'm racing has over 3000 feet of vertical gain over 31 miles so I thought I better start concentrating on hills, not just on my long runs but during the week as well. This week I've also started climbing stairs on my break at work. The key is to keep my pace down so I'm not sweaty when I get done.

@OSUbuckeye906 as I mentioned above, I didn't get my 27.5 in Saturday. I'm hoping to do two 20's this weekend and on March 25th I've got a 30 mile run planned. I'll have no hesitation cutting those short during the run if I need to though.

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 Wow, that is terrible; but I'm glad your son only had a few scrapes. I'm glad the police are at least trying to help also.

@WhatMeRunning I'm scheduled for a full batch of testing next month - Dexa, RMR, and VO2 Max. I expect VO2 Max should also give me a max HR result also; so I'll plug those into Garmin to get better calculations when I can. I surprised myself last weekend with a HR of 199 during a run. It makes me scratch my head and wonder how accurate that was. I've not seen anything higher than 196 even at my fastest (anaerobic) pace ever. I'm fully aware those are close enough to be within the margin or error, but I wasn't even working that hard to get to 199; so I don't know if I believe it. Anyway, I'm looking forward to having that information.