March 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    @ctlaws44 - Cold in SE Virginia? Oh, no! I have to run 8K in Virginia Beach on Saturday! (Forecast low 41º, high 63º. I think I'll survive the rain forecast for that day.) It's a bit chillier here; see picture and tale of woe below.

@7lenny7 - I'm glad your kids are OK. Too bad about the bike damage and the *hole driver not getting caught.

@crimefighter2 - Welcome aboard. Set yourself a goal for the last half of March, or wait for the April thread, whichever you prefer. We're pretty informal about letting people define their personal goals as whatever they find useful.

My non-running update: Stuck at 105.41 miles for March through Monday. Monday at 7:30 PM, the roads were clear, my driveway was clear, and there was perhaps an inch of snow on my lawn. Of course I didn't take a before picture. Here's the view of my house from the street at 6 PM today:

d2a5hjqbwg7p.jpg

I shoveled three times yesterday, just trying to keep up. Didn't even take my car out of the garage. It was deep enough to need the snowblower this morning, and I shoveled again this afternoon. Now the snow is falling more slowly, and during the day it's melting on the warm parts of my blacktop driveway; that won't hold overnight. About 3 I got out to the grocery store to pick up a few things. The roads were all snow covered, which means the plows couldn't keep up with the snowfall and it's too cold for salt to totally do the trick.

Physically, I could run on the roads. But the snow is still falling, the plows are still active, and the drivers have plenty to worry about without looking for idiots out running alone. In theory, I could drive over and run on the indoor track. The storm has defeated me emotionally. I have no appetite for leaving my car out in the open for a couple hours to accumulate snow while I run, then dealing with the mess when I get home. It was bad enough just getting to and from the grocery store.

So, WInter Storm Stella canceled 16 to 18 miles of running for me between yesterday and today. Hopefully things will be enough better tomorrow that I can get to the indoor track, if not actually run on the roads. Friday I need to be up early for a long drive to Virginia Beach with a teammate, and Saturday temps somewhere in the 40s or 50s with rain showers will seem positively warm compared to what I've got here.

I'm likely to miss my nominal monthly mileage goal, but somehow I'll get back on track for marathon training after I get past the Shamrock 8K/USATF Masters 8K Championship on Saturday.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    "MobyCarp wrote: »
    "I'm likely to miss my nominal monthly mileage goal, but somehow I'll get back on track for marathon training after I get past the Shamrock 8K/USATF Masters 8K Championship on Saturday.
    I have no doubt you'll get back on track and really kick training in the *kitten*. Missing a mileage goal? Hahaha...I'm going to miss mine by AT LEAST 75 miles......stupid injuries and illness....

I'll be saying it again later, but I'll say it now too. Good luck this weekend!
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    @7lenny7 Glad to hear that your boy isn't in the hospital. A real winner that driver is.

For the Canadians - Albertans. NATS. Northern Alberta Trail series. A 2 part medal so you have no choice but doing both events.
  • vandinem
    vandinem Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Date     Miles      MTD
    ------   -----    -------
    Mar 02     4.6T       4.6
    Mar 04     6.5       11.1
    Mar 06     4.4T      15.5
    Mar 07     6.7T      22.2
    Mar 09     5.3T      27.5
    Mar 12    10.4       37.9
    Mar 13     4.4T      42.3
    Mar 15     4.7T      47.0

exercise.png
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    @lporter229 Sleep? Sleep?

Kidding aside, Bourbon chase is great (although it took the spot of TN Ragnar which has moved late March-- two weeks from now).
  • KeepRunningFatboy
    KeepRunningFatboy Posts: 3,055 Member
    Options
    WK: 3/13/17 - 3/19/17
    M - 8 m. 8:40 pace.
    T - Bad Day.
    W - 13.1 9:10 pace.
    T - Scheduled Off
    F -
    S -
    S -
    Total -

we9ryli3s56b.jpg
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    01 Mar – 12.6 km
    02 Mar – 2.6 km + 1200 metres swimming
    03 Mar – 10 km
    04 Mar – 8.2 km including parkrun
    06 Mar – 14.2 km
    07 Mar – 2.7 km + 1200 metres swimming
    08 Mar – 10 km
    10 Mar – 12 km
    11 Mar – 800 metres swimming
    12 Mar – 21.2 km
    13 Mar – (Hike up a mountain 476 metres elevation gain - not counted in run total)
    15 Mar – 6 km
    16 Mar – 4.7 km jog + 1000 metres swimming

Goal: 100 miles / 160 km, including my first 30 km run.
    Total: 104.2 km
    Daily Steps Average: 18,818

9 April- Run for the Kids Melbourne 14.6 km
    6 May – Go the Extra Mile Melbourne 50 km walk/run