15/03 4.02 miles
    20/03 3.82 miles
    21/03 4.04 miles
    23/03 4.51 miles

exercise.png

• WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    @dkbambe - I hope the leg heals quickly! Those first few days after a race are not usually a good time for injury as many things are already weakened and recovering. Keep on being careful like you were today.
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    3/1 - Hate starting a month on a rest day.
    3/2 - 5.0 miles.
    3/3 - Grrr...overslept this morning and have commitments after work. No run. Unwanted rest day!
    3/4 - 6.0 miles.
    3/5 - 3.1 'mill miles, then upper body weights.
    3/6 - Life got in the way. Had to get kids up and going early.
    3/7 - WINDY 4.38 miles.
    3/8 - 3.45 'mill miles, then upper body weights.
    3/9 - 4.8 treadmill miles at Trek class.
    3/10 - Unplanned rest day.
    3/11 - 4 'mill miles.
    3/12 - 7 windy miles. Longest run in 5 months. Plus, negative splits...woot!
    3/13 - Another rest day. I am totally slacking.
    3/14 - 5.1 treadmill miles at Trek class. Lots of speed/"hill" combo today.
    3/15- 3.42 treadmill miles, then upper body weights.
    3/16 - 5.05 treadmill miles at Trek class.
    3/17 - Bodypump, then 2.25 treadmill miles.
    3/18 - 7.3 mile group run.
    3/19 - 4.05 hot miles.
    3/20 - Rest day.
    3/21 - 5.0 miles.
    3/22 - 3.4 'mill miles, then upper body weights.
    3/23 - 5 treadmill miles at Trek class.

exercise.png
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 I had a similar situation with my calf last week. I did a couple of miles at tempo pace and just as I was about to do a third, bam, my calf hurt really bad. I slowed down immediately and kept an easy pace for the remainder of my run. And for a couple of days I stayed very easy recovery pace while my calf started to feel better. very similar to what you were describing. A few days later, I was able to go back to a tempo workout with no calf problems. So it sounds like mine was not as bad as your situation.

I read about running barefoot on the grass for a 100 meters at a time to learn natural form but never ventured off and did it. Your post intrigues me and I may try the barefoot running thing as well as getting a pair of minimalist shoes for some workouts to see if that helps my form.
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    Yeah - The Merrell Bare Access Arc 3's were my "Magic Shoes." I don't really think they change how your footstrike lands, so much as they really do a good job training you to land gently. Or you hate them forever and you go back to traditional shoes. The Arc 4's do work, but they got a little bit narrower in the toe, and a little bit more shoe, all around. Does anyone have any recommendations for something with a 0 drop that's *less* padded, but keeping a single large toebox, and none of those ridiculous toe pockets?
    @autumnblade75 I have the Merrell Road Glove, that has huge amounts of space in the toebox. Not sure if you can still find it, it seems to be discontinued...
    If not, I've read that the Vapor Glove should be a good replacement with the same fit, and a bit lighter on top.

Amazon describes a "Merrell Women's Road Glove Dash 3 Trail Running Shoe" that kind of confuses me. It's been on my radar, and I might get around to grabbing a pair - I like the blue color I keep finding. The Vapor Gloves aren't as pretty, but I think they might be even less shoe - which is what I think I may have asked for. Yeah - I need like, $1000, to buy all the shoes I want to try. So that they can discontinue all of them... :(
  • Bakins929
    Bakins929 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    It was a bit too windy out this morning, so another 5 miles on the dreadmill.

exercise.png
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    @ariceroni Excellent! Looks fun.

I've been taking things slow partly due to the knee issue from Sat. and partly due to some BG issues I've been having over the past week (not sure if there are any other type 1's here, but it adds an extra element of suck to managing physical activity). Anyway, I'm still going to run the 10K on Sat. as a training run for the more difficult 12K on 4/1.

The 10K is on mixed terrain - it says there is some paved, some gravel, and some dirt. It's very rural, but the route is listed. It is a "fun run" and informally timed, so I'm not exactly trying to win... it is just to get a run done with a race atmosphere. The mixed terrain has me curious, though. Google maps only has streetview for one of the roads (yes, it is that rural), which is gravel. Intersections with other roads show gravel as well. I'm not sure where the pavement is at, but they say the 5K is completely paved, so the starting point must be paved. Indeed, photos from last year clearly show the starting point (it is a church in the middle of nowhere, so very easy to spot in race photos where it is in the background) on what appears to be a paved road in photos. Google maps doesn't have streetview for that road, but does for a gravel road that intersects 2 other roads included (the route is mostly rectangular). Google streetview shows gravel on both roads at the intersections. This must mean that the starting point is paved (from photos) heading east, turns south to gravel (based on Google streetview image further along in the course), then turns west onto a gravel road (as seen in streetview) before turning again onto a road which can't be identified by streetview... this must be the dirt. There are photos last year from a dirt road (former road?) that is mostly washed out (I wouldn't suggest taking anything beyond a tractor or maybe a 4WD).

My question is this: What shoes should I wear?

I have a separate set of shoes for roads and trails. The road shoes (Hoka One Clifton) have a lot of padding, but not as much grip, are not waterproof, and don't have much protection on the front for stubbing on rocks, roots, etc. The trail shoes (Ahnu) are waterproof, have better grip, have one of those solid front pieces (not sure what it is called), but also have less padding. The trail shoes are going to be less comfortable on gravel due to the smaller amount of padding, but the road shoes are going to make some serious challenges of slipping on the dirt areas (which I expect to be muddy due to rain the prior day and morning before-hand). I'm leaning towards the trail shoes, despite that the gravel will be less comfortable. Any advice from those experienced on varied terrains?
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    @midwesterner85 The 1st HM I did last year was on mixed terrain. I didn't realize this and wore my road shoes. The dirt and gravel paths were relatively flat and wide. They definitely were not technical in nature, so I'd wear the road shoes again in a heartbeat. My road shoes are lighter and faster than my trail shoes.

I'm not sure if you know whether the dirt/ gravel portions are easy or technical. If they are easy, I'd wear the road shoes. If they are technical with single track, hills, large rocks/obstacles, I'd wear the trail shoes so you have the traction you need.