March 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 yeah, I mostly credit my easy adjustment to the 0mm drops so far to the fact that I'm a mid- to forefoot striker. I really feel like it reduces the impact of running.

Yeah - The Merrell Bare Access Arc 3's were my "Magic Shoes." I don't really think they change how your footstrike lands, so much as they really do a good job training you to land gently. Or you hate them forever and you go back to traditional shoes. The Arc 4's do work, but they got a little bit narrower in the toe, and a little bit more shoe, all around. Does anyone have any recommendations for something with a 0 drop that's *less* padded, but keeping a single large toebox, and none of those ridiculous toe pockets?
  • snowyne
    snowyne Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    3/1 - 3.5 mi.
    3/2 - 4.0 mi.
    3/3 - 4.2 mi.
    3/4 - 4.0 mi.
    3/5 - 3.5 mi.
    3/6 - 3.1 mi.
    3/7 - 3.5 mi.
    3/8 - 3.2 mi.
    3/9 - rest
    3/10 - 3.1 mi.
    3/11 - 3.0 mi.
    3/12 - 4.1 mi.
    3/13 - 4.0 mi.
    3/14 - 4.7 mi.
    3/15 - 4.1 mi.
    3/16 - rest
    3/17 - 3.2 mi.
    3/18 - 4.1 mi.
    3/19 - 4.1 mi.
    3/20 - 4.0 mi.
    3/21 - rest
    3/22 - 5.0
    March total: 72.4/100
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    @BEERRUNNER yup! Best I'm hoping for is that I'm not any worse off between now and then! We flew over Ft Worth Monday and I waved at you. You see me? It was about 215ish. Haha! I said "oh look! That's where we're gonna run".

I did see you waving @Elise4270 !! Lol! :lol:

I'm running those trails tomorrow after work and Saturday morning. I want to go Sunday as well, but the kiddo has an 11am soccer game so we'll see if I can get my butt up early enough to get there, run, and get back in time to get make myself presentable.

If I had a GoPro, I'd make you a video. Ha, ha!!
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options

@BeeerRunner yeah, I'm gonna have to switch to mornings at some point. Once I get into my marathon training in the summer and fall I'm going to have weekday medium-long runs up to 13 miles. Dreading how early I'm gonna have to get up to get those in! :s

@KatieJane83 13 miles during the week?? Yikes. I dreaded my 10 mile mid week runs. A 20 mile run on a Saturday or Sunday morning is no problem, but 10 miles on a Wednesday just isn't my cup of tea. I did them after work since it was winter, but I'll have to do them before work for my next marathon or I'll melt in the heat.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    @Stoshew71 ROCK CHALK JAYHAWK!!

BOILER UP Tomorrow Night!!!!
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 yeah, I mostly credit my easy adjustment to the 0mm drops so far to the fact that I'm a mid- to forefoot striker. I really feel like it reduces the impact of running.

Yeah - The Merrell Bare Access Arc 3's were my "Magic Shoes." I don't really think they change how your footstrike lands, so much as they really do a good job training you to land gently. Or you hate them forever and you go back to traditional shoes. The Arc 4's do work, but they got a little bit narrower in the toe, and a little bit more shoe, all around. Does anyone have any recommendations for something with a 0 drop that's *less* padded, but keeping a single large toebox, and none of those ridiculous toe pockets?

Vivobarefoot do zero drop less padded shoes as described. I have a pair of road and trail shoes which I've used walking (the trail at least) but not graduated to running with them yet. The ones I have have a small amount of padding with the insole, but you can take that out for the rubber feel.
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »

Vivobarefoot do zero drop less padded shoes as described. I have a pair of road and trail shoes which I've used walking (the trail at least) but not graduated to running with them yet. The ones I have have a small amount of padding with the insole, but you can take that out for the rubber feel.

@girlinahat Thank you for that recommendation. I've seen them on Amazon, and they did *look* likely, but I didn't have anyone to vouch for them. I'll have to give it a try...
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Curses!! My run plans have been foiled! Too much work, not enough time. I'm hoping to leave my office by 9pm and I need some family time when I get home, then early sleep.

I was going to skip running tomorrow (35F and raining, plus calf issue) but now may have to run then.
  • ctlaws44
    ctlaws44 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Date Activity __ Run dist (mi) __ Avg Pace (min/mi)
    1-Mar Yoga 60 min/onion-pub run __ 7.8 __ 8:23
    2-Mar rest __
    3-Mar rest __
    4-Mar Ft. Eustis 10K __ 7.9 __ 7:28
    5-Mar 20 lb easy run __ 4.4 __ 8:38
    6-Mar Yoga 60 min/lifting 30min __
    7-Mar rest __
    8-Mar Yoga 60 min / lifting 30min / run __ 7.8 __ 8:07
    9-Mar rest __
    10-Mar Lifting 30 min __
    11-Mar run __ 4.4 __ 9:00
    12-Mar rest __
    13-Mar Lifting 30 min/run __ 3.5 __ 9:01
    14-Mar run __ 4 __ 7:58
    15-Mar Lifting 30 min __
    16-Mar rest __
    17-Mar lifting 30 min __
    18-Mar run __ 10 __ 8:19
    19-Mar run __ 4.23 __ 8:39
    20-Mar lifting 30 min/ run hills __ 4.32 __ 10:23
    21-Mar run __ 4 __ 8:14
    22-Mar Yoga 60 min/ lifting 30 min/ run __ 8.1 __ 9:23
    23-Mar rest __

Goal (miles) 80
    left (miles) 9.55

2017 Races
    1/14/2017 Menchville Winter Chill 5K __ 22:12 1 AG 15 OA
    2/11/2017 Run for the Heart 10 mile __ 1:17:25 1 AG 12 OA
    2/18/2017 Gloucester 8K __ 35:04:00 1 AG 12 OA
    3/4/2017 Fort Eustis 10K __ 44:31:00 4 AG 18 OA
    4/1/2017 Joe & Sue Moore 5K
    5/29/2017 Yorktown Freedom 8K
    TBD Trailzilla 5 Miler
    7/29/2017 Coast Guard Day 5K
    8/19/2017 Smart Smiles 5K
    9/16/2017 Mulberry Island HM
    TBD Poquoson Run with the Bulls 5K
    TBD Yorktown Battlefield 10 miler
    TBD Run with the Son for Haiti 5K
  • dkabambe
    dkabambe Posts: 544 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    After yesterday's fall, my right leg stiffened up more and more as the day went on. Late afternoon onwards I caved and took some ibuprofen/aspirin - hoping to minimise inflammation, but pain relief effects were also welcome. The pain was in the top half of my IT band and got worse when I straightened my knee out but that area coincided with my bruising/grazes. I had no pain in/around my knee so I was hoping the issue was just the fall and not an underlying IT band issue. It made walking (after sitting a while) difficult, but the more I walked the more it eased up so I was hopeful.

This morning it felt much better so thought I'd test it out. My planned assignment was 45-minutes easy, but I planned to stop whenever the pain got any worse. I walked for about 5 minutes to loosen up a little then started to jog. I could only manage about 10 steps - sharp pain radiating up my upper leg with every floor strike. I knew straight away wasn't going to improve so turned around and walked back home. I'll skip today and tomorrow's run, and had already planned Sat & Sun off. Hopefully will be ok by Monday's planned long run.

In absence of running today, I've been thinking about a summer race schedule after getting hooked by my HM on the weekend! I've ditched my plan to do the Victoria Park 10K next month. By time I've paid entry/transport etc I don't really seeing the value of doing it as a real race, especially with my daughter's birthday next month also. I'd only planned it as had 10k race on my marathon training plan but I'll just do it as a race-sim, (or find a cheaper virtual race).

July: Southend HM - Local, seafront route so will be lovely if not too windy.
    August: Hadleigh Castle 10k is on my doorstep and has some wonderful hillside trails that will be a real challenge - especially in the summer heat. (It's where they held the 2012 Olympic Mountain Biking)
    Sept: This 10k is all done inside Kew Gardens so could be amazing.
    Sept: Hoping to do Windsor HM with @iofred in September, which again looks like a stunning location with the start/finish on the long approach to the castle.
    Oct: Thurrock 10k is local, flat and fast. By then I hope to be down to goal weight so assuming I'm fit and healthy and conditions OK, I'm going to look to go all out for a fast time.

Going to wait this injury out before I book any of this (fingers crossed don't sell out) just in case I need to pass up May marathon and look for a later one.

exercise.png
    2-Mar: 1k TM + 7.8k steady
    3-Mar: 10.1k easy
    5-Mar: 10k steady
    6-Mar: 21.2k easy
    7-Mar: 4.3k easy
    8-Mar: 12.1k fartlek (long efforts)
    9-Mar: 9.1k steady
    10-Mar: 6.6k MP
    13-Mar: 16.3k HM pace + cooldown = 17.4k
    14-Mar: 8.8k HM pace
    17-Mar: 5.3k easy
    18-Mar: 3.9k very easy
    19-Mar: 21.1k RACE [Richmond Half - HM PR @ 1:51:00 inc 5K PR @ 25:08]
    20-Mar: 2.8k easy
    21-Mar: 8.4k easy
    22-Mar: 10.9k as 4 x 10min hard/2.5 min recovery intervals (plus wu/cd)
    23-Mar: Injured :disappointed:

Upcoming Races:
    14-May-2017: Bexhill Starfish Marathon
    9-Jul-2017: Southend Half Marathon [Unconfirmed]
    12-Aug-2017: Hadleigh Castle 10K - Hill trail race [Possible*]
    16-Sep-2017: Kew Gardens 10K [Possible]
    24-Sep-2017: Windsor Half Marathon [Possible*]
    29-Oct-2017: Thurrock 10k [Possible]
  • NikolaosKey
    NikolaosKey Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 Dont worry mate, I love running in the rain. After all you must not overdo it, be careful of your calf
    @dkabambe So sorry for your injury, hope you will be able to run soon
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    @autumnblade75 I have the Merrell Road Glove, that has huge amounts of space in the toebox. Not sure if you can still find it, it seems to be discontinued...
    If not, I've read that the Vapor Glove should be a good replacement with the same fit, and a bit lighter on top.