March 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    @breakingred welcome! Just a heads up...keep watching this space and sometime on the last day of the month @Stoshew71 will post the link to the April thread. So if you come back in April and nobody's here...that's where we went.

There's still time to fit in a few more runs this month if you want to post a goal for the rest of March.

• Mari33a
    Mari33a Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    01/03 3.52 miles
    02/03 5.02 miles
    04/03 4.5 miles
    08/03 5.16 miles
    09/03 3.54 miles
    10/03 3.51 miles
    12/03 3.01 miles
    14/03 3.51 miles
    15/03 4.02 miles
    20/03 3.82 miles
    21/03 4.04 miles
    23/03 4.51 miles
    24/03 4.41 miles
    25/03 3.75 miles
    27/03 3.77 miles
    28/03 3.76 miles

Those shoes look like they'd be lots of fun but dangerous!

exercise.png

• jessicalferrara
    jessicalferrara Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone, I'm curious to see what you think. I'm still in the process of losing weight, so I was curious to see what you think about the calories Strava says you burn during your run. Do you think they are somewhat accurate? Thanks!
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone, I'm curious to see what you think. I'm still in the process of losing weight, so I was curious to see what you think about the calories Strava says you burn during your run. Do you think they are somewhat accurate? Thanks!
    I find Strava estimates calorie burn about 20% too high.
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    I find Strava estimates calorie burn about 20% too high.

Same
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Yes, I know Mar. is almost over, but trying to decide on a goal for Apr. I've already exceeded my Mar. goal of 60 miles. After the 4/1 race, my plan is to switch goals. Currently, my primary goal is to lose excess fat and secondary goal is to be able to complete that race and not be last (should not be a problem).

Starting 4/2, my primary goal is still to lose excess fat and secondary goal is to lose as much fat as possible before 4/14. The reason 4/14 is that is when I am scheduled for a Dexa, RMR, and VO2 Max. It's my first time getting such tests and I would like the BF % to be as close as possible to my goal BF %. It's a long and detailed explanation as to how I came up with this, but my estimate is that I need to run 13.8 miles per day from 4/2 - 4/13 in order to achieve that much fat loss that quickly (and also not to eat back those calories). That is way above current mileage, and would be about 2 hrs. per day. Alternatively, I could cut back calories and run 1 hr. per day.... that is a mileage that is more in line with where I've been on running days. The difference is not eating back exercise calories and doing something similar to alternate day fasting... and not taking a rest day during that time unless I make it up (which I can do on weekends).

Anyway, I've been thinking about this and making calculations for the last week to figure out mileage for the first half of April; and it looks pretty aggressive. The other option is to accept I won't be at my target BF % by 4/14... but how much to scale back on that goal is the unknown.
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    @jessicalferrara I agree with the others, Strava is at least 20% too high for running in my estimate, sometimes it even gives me 30% more than I would expect - depending on the amount of hills and the heart rate.

Usually, I use a really simple formula that works surprisingly well:
    - "calories burned = (body weight in kg) * (running distance in km)"
    If you use pound and miles, you get to similar results using (still not too complicated)
    - "calories burned = 0.75 * (weight in pounds) * (running distance in miles)"
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @mobycarp great advice for @lporter229 it was interesting to read your take on hills.
  • 7lenny7
    Options
    @jessicalferrara I've had Strave claim DOUBLE the number of calories that Garmin on some runs. Strava isn't always double, but it is always higher than Garmin.

Garmin, OTOH, is usually wrong too, I think. I have the Forerunner 220 and on some of my long runs, it will give me 140 to 150 calories per mile in the earlier parts of the run, but with nearly identical pace, heart rate, and elevation, I'll only get credit for 85 to 90 calories per mile later in the run. I doubt my economy improves that much. If i don't use my HR monitor I'll get credit for 160 to 165 calories per mile. Hardly an exact science, apparently.

What I do now is to use this calculator to calculate my gross calorie burn:
    http://www.shapesense.com/fitness-exercise/calculators/activity-based-calorie-burn-calculator.aspx

Then take that result and plug it into this calculator to figure out the net calorie burn:
    http://www.shapesense.com/fitness-exercise/calculators/net-versus-gross-calorie-burn-conversion-calculator.shtml

Based on my weight I should get getting credit for 125 calories/mile.

There are a variety of calculators out there, giving me anywhere from 125 to 150 calories per mile. I trust this particular one because it's "based on MET (Metabolic Equivalent) data for physical activities from "The Compendium of Physical Activities Tracking Guide" by B. E. Ainsworth", which I take ask the authoritative source for this stuff.

The actual equations they use are on those two sites if you're interested in the nitty gritty.

Regardless of which source or calculator you use, if...after 4 weeks...you're not seeing the weight loss/gain/maintenance you think you should be, you can tweak the numbers. If I use 125 calories per mile but my weight is not going down like I'd like, I can do one of two things. Lower my calorie credit to 120 calories per pound, or review how I'm calculating my calorie intake and make sure I'm weighing everything, adding everything up, and not taking unlogged snacks (guilty).

Sorry for the long answer. I was going to try to be brief but my fingers just kept going.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Thanks @MobyCarp . I knew I could count on you for a detailed and insightful perspective. Your post kind of solidifies what I already suspected. Like you, I am a pretty strong uphill runner, but I suffer on the downhills. My pace tends to be close to even running both up and down the same hill. Everything I have read has made me more concerned with the downhill running.

So, now I am wondering if maybe I should not scale back my 20 mile run this weekend. Physically, I feel like my legs are about 60-75%. My pace has naturally slowed by about 20-30 seconds per mile and I am feeling a bit more prone to fatigue than normal.

My training had been progressing fairly normally up to the middle of February, when I was hitting around 40-45 miles per week. I do not run crazy high mileage like some of you. My highest ever week was 59 miles and my highest mileage month was 205, both while training for my qualifier race in 2015. From October 2015-October 2016, my main focus was a faster half marathon. My weekly average was in the mid to high 30s, with long runs of 10-16 miles with two fairly intense targeted speed sessions. I started thinking toward Boston at the beginning of January. My goal at that point was to just run a sub 4 and make it as comfortable as possible with my training, and, of course, to remain injury free. I pretty much ditched most of my speed work and focused on ramping up my miles. Most of these miles were easy pace on rolling hilly terrain. The hamstring started to nag after a particularly hard effort 10K at the end of January (in hindsight, I was not prepared to run this at the pace I did). After my first 20 miler on Feb 11, I could no longer ignore the hamstring issue, so I backed off. I had two full weeks of rest while I entered into PT. While in treatment, I slowly ramped my mileage back up. Since Feb 11, my double digit runs have been one each of 10, 12 and 16 miles. My 16 miles was last weekend. It was harder than it should have been, but it did not kill me.

So my dilemma is for my long run this weekend. Part of me feels like I need to have another 20 miler in the bank for the mental aspect of it all. The other part of me feels like my body would benefit more from the rest. Do you have any opinion on this? I really value your input!
  • 7lenny7
    Options
    @lporter229 what about running your 20 miles but at a slower pace than planned? That worked for me last weekend and I rather enjoyed allowing myself to be slower. In my case I went from an expected 9:30 to 10:30 pace.

Just a thought.
  • lporter229
    Options
    @7Lenny7-I like that idea. I may be inclined to try it, but I will be going in with the knowledge that I am my own worst enemy when it comes to holding back on pace on a long run. I can hold back okay at the beginning, but when I get to that point when i just want to get done, I automatically speed up. Your suggestion would be good practice for race day!
  • snowyne
    snowyne Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    3/1 - 3.5 mi.
    3/2 - 4.0 mi.
    3/3 - 4.2 mi.
    3/4 - 4.0 mi.
    3/5 - 3.5 mi.
    3/6 - 3.1 mi.
    3/7 - 3.5 mi.
    3/8 - 3.2 mi.
    3/9 - rest
    3/10 - 3.1 mi.
    3/11 - 3.0 mi.
    3/12 - 4.1 mi.
    3/13 - 4.0 mi.
    3/14 - 4.7 mi.
    3/15 - 4.1 mi.
    3/16 - rest
    3/17 - 3.2 mi.
    3/18 - 4.1 mi.
    3/19 - 4.1 mi.
    3/20 - 4.0 mi.
    3/21 - rest
    3/22 - 5.0 mi.
    3/23 - 4.5 mi.
    3/24 - crazy day...no time. :(
    3/25 - 6.0 mi.
    3/26 - 5.1 mi.
    3/27 - 4.3
    March total: 92.3/100
  • jessicalferrara
    jessicalferrara Posts: 59 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    @7lenny7 thanks so much for the help! I'm going to plug in my numbers now and figure it out.

• lporter229
    edited March 2017
    Options
    @7Lenny7- I like the way you think. I was thinking the same kind of thing. One of the areas around town where I generally do my long runs has tons of route options. I have done all of them enough times to have a rough idea of the distance between points X and points Y. I was thinking that if I head down to that area from my house (yes, starting off downhill), I can loop around the different segments of the area to create a route as I go. I can finish back up at my house, or call it a day at the Starbucks at the bottom of the hill and walk home with my iced coffee!

The only problem I see with this plan is that if I ditch a planned run short due to tiredness or pain, that's really going to screw with me mentally, whereas, if I go into the run knowing I am only going to do 10 or 12 miles, it won't be a big deal.
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options

I wish Strava was accurate!! It gives me HUGE calorie burns! My Garmin is much closer so I usually go by that unless my HRM malfunctioned in some way during the run.