March 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Yes, I know Mar. is almost over, but trying to decide on a goal for Apr. I've already exceeded my Mar. goal of 60 miles. After the 4/1 race, my plan is to switch goals. Currently, my primary goal is to lose excess fat and secondary goal is to be able to complete that race and not be last (should not be a problem).

Starting 4/2, my primary goal is still to lose excess fat and secondary goal is to lose as much fat as possible before 4/14. The reason 4/14 is that is when I am scheduled for a Dexa, RMR, and VO2 Max. It's my first time getting such tests and I would like the BF % to be as close as possible to my goal BF %. It's a long and detailed explanation as to how I came up with this, but my estimate is that I need to run 13.8 miles per day from 4/2 - 4/13 in order to achieve that much fat loss that quickly (and also not to eat back those calories). That is way above current mileage, and would be about 2 hrs. per day. Alternatively, I could cut back calories and run 1 hr. per day.... that is a mileage that is more in line with where I've been on running days. The difference is not eating back exercise calories and doing something similar to alternate day fasting... and not taking a rest day during that time unless I make it up (which I can do on weekends).

Anyway, I've been thinking about this and making calculations for the last week to figure out mileage for the first half of April; and it looks pretty aggressive. The other option is to accept I won't be at my target BF % by 4/14... but how much to scale back on that goal is the unknown.

I noticed no one has replied to this yet, and I am far from an expert, but this is my $.02, for whatever it's actually worth, lol. I personally would NOT focus on such an aggressive loss. I am currently also in the weight-loss camp right now, and have actually been concerned by how quickly I've been losing because I want to maintain my lean body mass to a healthy degree. When you lose really aggressively you can't just flip a switch that makes sure the loss is 100% purely body fat. I already do weight training twice a week, and in addition to it being for injury prevention with my running, it is also to hopefully maintain as much of my lean body mass as possible. When you lose too fast I think you risk losing too much of that lean body mass vs body fat. I say, keep it reasonable, take the first tests/scans for what they are, and then when you get them again you can use it as a comparison.

It's not really a 'switch' because it takes a long time to make the change (which I completed a long time ago), but I am fat adapted. So my primary source for skeletal muscle (and for exercise) is to oxidize fat. It's very different than the typical person who consumes a lot of carbohydrates and uses primarily glucose for energy. In those cases, protein (either dietary or muscle) will need to be broken down to create glucose and provide energy and replenish glycogen if the total diet is insufficient in carbohydrates and protein.

However, since I eat very low carb and the central nervous system / brain can't oxidize fat for energy (although it can use ketones), protein will need to be broken down to create glucose for brain function. I've done a fair amount of research and calculations to determine that I can spare muscle by consuming at least 157g / day of protein. I understand your point, but I think I've figured out how to minimize or prevent muscle loss and to cause my body to primarily use fat (dietary or stored) for energy. By limiting dietary fat intake in addition to having muscles that primarily oxidize fat for energy, I'm making those muscles have to turn to body fat. If I were to run for 2 hours at a sub-maximal exertion level, I should be able to oxidize 190g (0.42 lbs.) of fat (based on a Volek and Phinney study finding fat adapted endurance athletes oxidized fat at 1.58g/min +/-0.14 at sub-maximal exertion... 64% of max HR). That's just from exercise, not from RMR. If I consume only enough fat to reach my RMR (or slightly less), then I should be able to lose just over 5 lbs. between 4/2 - 4/13; which is about how much fat I'm estimating I need to lose. It's somewhat aggressive at just under 3 lbs. per week, but I believe it is possible.

What I am hoping is that I can lose enough between now and 4/2 to not require as much loss from 4/2 - 4/13. Potentially, I estimate that by 4/2, I could reduce the daily mileage to as low as 7.3 miles. And that is why I'm not sure what to make April's goal just yet. For those first 2 weeks, I will need somewhere between 7.3 and 13.8 miles per day in order to achieve my fat use goal. I may not make my April goal until 4/2 because of that unknown.
  • ko4q
    ko4q Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    3/1 6
    3/2 4.5 + 6 x strength circuits
    3/3 8.5
    3/4 6.2 + 60' athletic conditioning
    3/5 7.5 EZ pace
    3/6 7.25
    3/7 4.5 + 6 x strength circuits
    3/8 7.3
    3/9 4.5 + 6 x strength circuits
    3/10 8.75
    3/11 6.2 + 60' athletic conditioning
    3/12 7 EZ
    3/13 7.25 with 2 x 1 miles at 10k, 4x 800m @ 5k
    3/14 4.5 + 6 x strength circuits
    3/15 6.4 (HARD!)
    3/16 4.5 + 6 x strength circuits
    3/17 8.15 8 x supersets (1200m)
    3/18 7.2 +60' athletic conditioning
    3/19 7.5 + lovely hike in the mountains
    3/20 4.5 + 6 x strength circuits
    3/21 7.3 with 7x1000m @ 5k pace
    3/22 7
    3/23 4.5 + 6 x strength circuits
    3/24 10
    3/25 6 + 9 x strength circuits
    3/26 7.5 slow and EZ
    3/27 7.5 with 4 x 1 mile @ 5K pace
    3/28 6.0 + 40' tabata class

184/175

• KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Yes, I know Mar. is almost over, but trying to decide on a goal for Apr. I've already exceeded my Mar. goal of 60 miles. After the 4/1 race, my plan is to switch goals. Currently, my primary goal is to lose excess fat and secondary goal is to be able to complete that race and not be last (should not be a problem).

Starting 4/2, my primary goal is still to lose excess fat and secondary goal is to lose as much fat as possible before 4/14. The reason 4/14 is that is when I am scheduled for a Dexa, RMR, and VO2 Max. It's my first time getting such tests and I would like the BF % to be as close as possible to my goal BF %. It's a long and detailed explanation as to how I came up with this, but my estimate is that I need to run 13.8 miles per day from 4/2 - 4/13 in order to achieve that much fat loss that quickly (and also not to eat back those calories). That is way above current mileage, and would be about 2 hrs. per day. Alternatively, I could cut back calories and run 1 hr. per day.... that is a mileage that is more in line with where I've been on running days. The difference is not eating back exercise calories and doing something similar to alternate day fasting... and not taking a rest day during that time unless I make it up (which I can do on weekends).

Anyway, I've been thinking about this and making calculations for the last week to figure out mileage for the first half of April; and it looks pretty aggressive. The other option is to accept I won't be at my target BF % by 4/14... but how much to scale back on that goal is the unknown.

I noticed no one has replied to this yet, and I am far from an expert, but this is my $.02, for whatever it's actually worth, lol. I personally would NOT focus on such an aggressive loss. I am currently also in the weight-loss camp right now, and have actually been concerned by how quickly I've been losing because I want to maintain my lean body mass to a healthy degree. When you lose really aggressively you can't just flip a switch that makes sure the loss is 100% purely body fat. I already do weight training twice a week, and in addition to it being for injury prevention with my running, it is also to hopefully maintain as much of my lean body mass as possible. When you lose too fast I think you risk losing too much of that lean body mass vs body fat. I say, keep it reasonable, take the first tests/scans for what they are, and then when you get them again you can use it as a comparison.

It's not really a 'switch' because it takes a long time to make the change (which I completed a long time ago), but I am fat adapted. So my primary source for skeletal muscle (and for exercise) is to oxidize fat. It's very different than the typical person who consumes a lot of carbohydrates and uses primarily glucose for energy. In those cases, protein (either dietary or muscle) will need to be broken down to create glucose and provide energy and replenish glycogen if the total diet is insufficient in carbohydrates and protein.

However, since I eat very low carb and the central nervous system / brain can't oxidize fat for energy (although it can use ketones), protein will need to be broken down to create glucose for brain function. I've done a fair amount of research and calculations to determine that I can spare muscle by consuming at least 157g / day of protein. I understand your point, but I think I've figured out how to minimize or prevent muscle loss and to cause my body to primarily use fat (dietary or stored) for energy. By limiting dietary fat intake in addition to having muscles that primarily oxidize fat for energy, I'm making those muscles have to turn to body fat. If I were to run for 2 hours at a sub-maximal exertion level, I should be able to oxidize 190g (0.42 lbs.) of fat (based on a Volek and Phinney study finding fat adapted endurance athletes oxidized fat at 1.58g/min +/-0.14 at sub-maximal exertion... 64% of max HR). That's just from exercise, not from RMR. If I consume only enough fat to reach my RMR (or slightly less), then I should be able to lose just over 5 lbs. between 4/2 - 4/13; which is about how much fat I'm estimating I need to lose. It's somewhat aggressive at just under 3 lbs. per week, but I believe it is possible.

What I am hoping is that I can lose enough between now and 4/2 to not require as much loss from 4/2 - 4/13. Potentially, I estimate that by 4/2, I could reduce the daily mileage to as low as 7.3 miles. And that is why I'm not sure what to make April's goal just yet. For those first 2 weeks, I will need somewhere between 7.3 and 13.8 miles per day in order to achieve my fat use goal. I may not make my April goal until 4/2 because of that unknown.

Ah, very interesting, and yes, that definitely changes what kind of advice you would get. That is important information.

And it also reminded me that my friend shared a podcast with me the other day, with an author talking about the whole concept of training your body to recruit fat for energy, and how you can change the whole idea of needing to carbo-load before long races and such. I need to go figure out who it was who was talking so I can do some more research, lol.

ETA: Found it! The book is Primal Endurance by Mark Sisson. This was the podcast: artofmanliness.com/2016/06/06/podcast-207-primal-endurance-how-to-become-a-fat-burning-beast/
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options

Ah, very interesting, and yes, that definitely changes what kind of advice you would get. That is important information.

And it also reminded me that my friend shared a podcast with me the other day, with an author talking about the whole concept of training your body to recruit fat for energy, and how you can change the whole idea of needing to carbo-load before long races and such. I need to go figure out who it was who was talking so I can do some more research, lol.

ETA: Found it! The book is Primal Endurance by Mark Sisson. This was the podcast: artofmanliness.com/2016/06/06/podcast-207-primal-endurance-how-to-become-a-fat-burning-beast/

Fascinating you should mention that. This is the 2nd time this week that someone has brought up that book in an online forum (the other being on a different site in a discussion group for type 1 diabetics. That discussion post was about being fat adapted / keto dieting for type 1 endurance athletes. It was in the back of my mind, now I almost have to look into it.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your condition @ddmom0811 but I did :laugh: about your dilemma with your planned run!

Welcome @breakingred!

@patrikc333 - It's usually a sign or flag alongside a trail that makes me think it is a person, something with a flash of color. I also find myself moving over to let whoever is running up behind me pass, only to figure out I'm getting an echo of my own footsteps.

Apparently I felt good today as my high HR alert kept chirping earlier than expected. I realized I was running faster and not realizing it. So I made each running interval a good effort like that.

3/4 - 3 miles
    3/5 - 1.5 miles
    3/6 - 1.5 miles
    3/7 - 1.5 miles
    3/8 - 1.5 miles
    3/9 - 1.5 miles
    3/10 - rest
    3/11 - 3 hilly miles
    3/12 - 1.5 zippy miles
    3/13 - 1.5 hilly miles
    3/14 - 3 miles
    3/15 - 3 miles
    3/16 - 2 miles
    3/17 - rest
    3/18 - 3 miles
    3/19 - 3 miles
    3/20 - 3 miles
    3/21 - 3miles
    3/22 - 3 miles
    3/23 - 3 miles
    3/24 - rest
    3/25 - 10 miles
    3/26 - 4 miles
    3/27 - 4 miles
    3/28 - 4 miles
    3/29 - 4 miles

68.5 of 38 miles total

exercise.png
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @ddmom0811 OMG you poor girl and you are probably better off you decided against the commando skirt run! ha ha
    @shanaber yeah for speed!
    @hannahbananna80 I hope your foot is nothing serious. Very frustrating about the shoe salesman. We were in our local Fleet Feet last weekend and my daughter probably tried on 10 different shoes and then a few more, ran up and down the sidewalk outside, narrowed it down to 2 pair, then wore one of each running up and down the sidewalk while apologizing to the guy that she was sorry she was a pain. He was so matter of fact in that he didn't care how long it took she needed to feel 200% sure in her purchase.
    @respectthekitty hope the new meds are what you need, hugs
    @girlinahat love the pictures and happy belated Mother's Day

After work yesterday I went to the JV track meet and got home late so decided to take a rest day this morning. I set the alarm later and I'm glad I did, my legs were a bit tired this morning so a rest was needed for them. Walking around the meet all night in high heels was really not so fun ha ha

• _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    garygse wrote: »
    @jessicalferrara Strava doesn't show calorie burn for me, so maybe that's a premium feature (and I'm too cheap for that, lol). Garmin seems to be consistent about calories with my running however, and if anything seems to have a tendency to slightly under-report.
    @garygse I don't have premium either, but I get calorie burns from Strava. Sometimes (though usually only for bike rides, I think) I have to click on "Show more" on the website to see them. But I get calorie burns both using the Strava app for tracking the run and when uploading the runs tracked with my watch.

@ddmom0811 Ouch! The commando/skirt option might work, if you avoid Marilyn-Monroe-like air gratings. Or running uphill with somebody close behind. That's also risky - I know that because I remember running up a steep hill behind some guy in a race. He was wearing very loose shorts and definitely nothing else >:)
  • jessicalferrara
    jessicalferrara Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    garygse wrote: »
    @jessicalferrara Strava doesn't show calorie burn for me, so maybe that's a premium feature (and I'm too cheap for that, lol). Garmin seems to be consistent about calories with my running however, and if anything seems to have a tendency to slightly under-report.
    @garygse I don't have premium either, but I get calorie burns from Strava. Sometimes (though usually only for bike rides, I think) I have to click on "Show more" on the website to see them. But I get calorie burns both using the Strava app for tracking the run and when uploading the runs tracked with my watch.

Same here. I don't have premium, but the App shows me when I click on the stats for my run. You can swipe to the left to see more information, like heart rate, elevation, etc.

• Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options

exercise.png
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »

The hay is in the barn.

@stoshew71 this saying always cracks me up. You really can't appreciate it until you hear Skip's Polish speaking coach say it in her accent.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,395 Member
    Options
    Apparently I felt good today as my high HR alert kept chirping earlier than expected. I realized I was running faster and not realizing it. So I made each running interval a good effort like that.
    I guess I can stop looking for your speed now :laugh:

• Bakins929
    Bakins929 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    4 mile interval run as part of 10k training plan this morning.

exercise.png
  • Bakins929
    Bakins929 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    jts1981 wrote: »
    Nearly there!

exercise.png

You got it! 2 more days left this month. Good job, keep it up!