WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2017

Replies

• SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,323 Member
    edited March 2017
    Kate, sorry to hear about that pesky gallbladder - hope they plan to have it taken out soon. Funny, I have quite a few friends/acquaintances who had theirs removed in their late 30's. I was 60 when I had my surgery - not stones, but a large polyp: doc advised surgery as they can turn cancerous (and also block bile duct.) I had months of dull aching under my right rib, finally had an ultrasound. I can eat anything now (and could before!) but maybe that's a reason my body doesn't really crave much meat anymore?

Sarah in Ontario - your planting trays look like the scene at my south kitchen window. Got another tray of yarrow going yesterday and will plant a tray of butterfly flowers today - they handed out seed packets at the Master Gardener training I attended yesterday. Snow predicted today and off/on for the next ten days! This is not our usual weather. The damp cold is really taking a toll on DH, much hip and shoulder pain.

Karen in VA - thank you for sharing the latest photo of Olivia and Katie - that little sweetie looks like she's thriving! Being cuddled by mom is the best medicine for them both I think! That airplane at sunset photo is terrific - it should be on a calendar!

Donna, welcome! Barbie and Joyce have great ideas. Your local Area Agency on Aging might also know of some other needs seniors have that don't take driving if you are so inclined. Also, if you like to write, why not write an article for Guideposts or similar? If nothing else, it's a way to "journal" ;) I can envision you walking on the beach under that warm CA sun.

Debbie in MD, welcome as well. I can see YOU walking on the Atlantic beach! DH was stationed in VA for a while in the mid-70's so we spent a little time on Chesapeake Bay. Miss those crab cakes tho the Dungeness crab cakes we have on this coast are terrific too.

Becca, your lunch yesterday looked yummy and those beads are a great idea! Your tracker DOES come in handy for a variety of things that need tracking. Yikes! :D

Ginger, that bean soup and salad look yummy as well. The carb count is high but so is the fiber, so just imagine most of those carbs just swooshing right through! Mark it on Becca's tracking calendar! :D That protein shake looks delicious - I can see it as a frozen treat in the summer (unless the chia doesn't take well to freezing?) If not, pudding then.

Lisa, enjoy your trip to New Mexico. Glad Corey feels up to traveling and it will do you both good. Photos please.

Sue and Katla - have fun at your meet-up. Bet time will fly! Photos please as well!

Chris, I hear ya on the weight charts when we were younger. That and peer/family/societal pressure I felt started a lifetime of yo-yo dieting. If only I hadn't started in the first place...sigh... I gradated high school at around 150 as I recall, I was 5'9". Perfectly OK but in my mind I was HUGE. Starved myself down to 129 at one point so I could fit into a size 9 wedding dress. Pounds crept back and then some, gradually up to nearly 190. Took it off with Weight Watchers... it bounced up and down a bit tho.

Have been stuck now at 168 plus or minus a couple for the past year. Feel and look best at around 163 - the "high" end for my height (now 5' 8 1/2") according to many weight charts but it's right for me according to most of my favorite pants in the closet, lol. Continuing the low-sugar may take it lower, but that's not really my goal.

I see a great number of young gals (teens, early 20's) in our area who are embracing "Big and Beautiful" to the point of being nearly incapacitated or neglectful of personal hygiene so there's a need to focus on good nutrition no matter what and being able to keep active and healthy.

One last point on how things have changed... several years ago I needed to purchase some dress slacks. In the olden days, they would have been a size 16 and still were in many stores. I went into Maurice's and tried on 16's - I swam in them. Walked out of the store with a size 11! Holy smokes! The fashion industry keeps adjusting the size requirements I guess - bet Maurice's does a bang-up business.

I did hear that Marilyn Monroe was a size 16 tho <3

Wishing you all a splendid Sunday! o:)

Lanette
    SW WA State where I'm getting ready to bundle up and walk with the falling snow.

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,682 Member
    not feeling so hot ,just stopping in to say howdee, going to lay down for a bit, have dinner in the crock pot and went to feed DFIL.. he was being fresh this morning.. talking without a filter about sex and babies and all sorts of other stuff, glad he doesnt know what he is saying, but embarrassing to us :#
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    kelly I love using light coconut milk in sauces! Try it, you won't see much difference I'll bet.

Today I'm working at a county orchestra festival, it is so surprising to me how many new young teachers there are, I feel so long in the tooth! People keep turning to me - how should we do it?? They didn't even supply comp tickets to hear the concert so I am slipping out the back and going to run errands instead of standing in the back!

NYKAREN
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,106 Member
    Stronglift Rest Day

Kettlebell Swing
    Goblet squat-6X5X 30
    Russian kettle bell swing-30X 10 X 30

40lbs loss by May 27th Challenge
    Take a Walk every day! I've been doing awesome and getting in at least 1-2, 2+mile walks a day!

I lost another .4 lbs this makes for a total of .8 lb this week. At least it's still moving in the right direction!

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    :)
  • cbw1958
    cbw1958 Posts: 14 Member
    Good morning to all!

This thread is such a wealth of information and I am hoping to get to know names and places better for comments and questions…I did take notes on a few but missed some...

Lanette – one of my best friends and I always said if we could meet “Little Debbie” we would punch her!

Cheri – love the tracker, will definitely use!

Sarah - the Chocolate/mint buttons look delicious, I would like the recipe…sorry if you already posted and I missed…

Karen - The photo of Oliva and Kate is just beautiful, Katie looks so at peace holding her baby. My daughter had our first grandchild last May and he was in NICU and a step down unit for the first few months, very scary for all! So glad Olivia is doing well now.

Kelly – I have travel through Grand Haven and it was a very pretty area! Today no luck on the sunshine today but supposed to come out later?

Kate – so sorry to hear about your gall bladder problems!

A question about vitamin D…

I did read a post saying that Vitamin D helped someone’s knees (I have tried to find but cannot seem to) but I wondered if you had arthritis in your knees and if that is what it was helping? I have arthritis in mine, nothing too bad, usually exercise helps but sometimes they can really hurt.

I also read a post stating the huge benefits of Vitamin D and we should take 5000mg each day…I was put on it a few years ago but I have gotten to the point of not taking and thinking I need to get back on.

Due to the lack of sunshine up here many are put on vitamin D…when I took before it was to help with my mood…which I could still use!

Any input would be appreciated!

~Cathy in the snowy UP of MI~
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,519 Member
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,682 Member
    feel a bit better, after a nap and having a cup of orange spice cup of tea... just gonna sorta lay low today..
  • AKcanookie
    AKcanookie Posts: 230 Member
    <3
  • YinxFed
    YinxFed Posts: 1,054 Member
    Greetings Lovelies,

Nice slow Sunday here in wet and windy Bewdley.

Here's what I've got so are:

Weekly weigh in - still no movement on the scales (that makes it a 3-week plateau!) Grrrr! :s

Lovely service at church, and no bum notes from me in the choir! :)

But came out to a parking ticket on my car! :'(

So I spent a little bit of time brooding and sulking and I think I'm over it now. Here's to a better week with more focus.

In my studio now listening to the Archers on the radio, there's a duck in the oven and the potatoes are on!

Thanks Heather for the Bea fix - she's absolutely delightful! And her little smile lifted my spirits considerably,

And I'm stealing your bead idea, Becca Thanks!

Take care my friends,

Yinka in Worcestershire, UK
  • Peach1948
    Heather ~ Your son looks happy to be with his dogs and his friends with dogs. :)
  • Peach1948
    Yinka ~ Sorry about your parking ticket. What a bummer!