WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2017

Options

Replies

• Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Kate ~ Fantastic! Are those apartments that seem to have balconies on all sides?
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    nei192kbqefj.jpg
    A decoration for St. Patrick's Day, given to me by a valued TOPS friend

hda1j070os9q.jpg

Breakfast today 397 calories a bisquick ultimate pancake w/ blueberries in it, peanut butter, walnuts and drizzle of syrup on top, with some mandarin oranges. Oh and coffee!

Becca
    Oregon
  • Annr
    Options
    Janetr okc we are like you with our medical. We are very blessed, and thankful. So expensive was the transplant. He has Tricare for Life, and Medicaid. Son and I are on Tricare prime.
    Becca
    Oregon
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    Peach1948 wrote: »
    Kate ~ Fantastic! Are those apartments that seem to have balconies on all sides?

Yes Benidorm has lots of these skyscraper apartments and hotels
  • Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    (((Kim))) I've always been perfectly contented with paying Scandinavian-style income tax because of all the benefits it confers, like well-maintained roads and public transportation and tuition-free university. But most of all I'm grateful for the health care. When I go to the doctor I pay about $20 and when I spent a week in the hospital after my micro-stroke it didn't cost me a thing.

Kate - What are they celebrating in Spain that they erect such monumental sculptures and then burn them? I can't imagine it's for St. Patrick's day. :noway:

Becca I've been meaning to compliment you on your gorgeous plates and bowls. It's obvious you've spent some time in Japan! :smiley:

My flight was just a tad exciting. This route has just a small plane, a 14-seater, so everybody gets a window seat AND an aisle seat. Normally it's a spectacular flight over craggy mountains and glaciers and fjords full of icebergs. But today there was lots of cloud cover, snowfall and strong wind. We flew in right over the center of town and I spotted my husband in his distinctive red anorak a hundred meters below us. ("Town" I call it, but it's just a collection of a couple dozen 1-2 story buildings.) In the mile or so between the town and the runway, the wind picked up and blew so much loose snow into the air that visibility was down to where even the runway lights were blurry. We got bounced around in the turbulence as well, but we managed to land.

For the next few days I won't be in charge of my own meals. There's a communal mess hall in this town, and you eat what they serve. Fortunately for the people who live here - and unfortunately for me - the food is great. A bit low on the fresh veggies, but what can you expect at 79° North latitude?

Time to tootle off to the mess hall...

/Penny, pretty darn close to the North Pole now
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,345 Member
    Options
    My duck breast was fantastic. I allowed 200 calories for it as it was quite small. Previously I have found breast to be a bit tough and tasteless, but I cooked it very carefully in my best chef mode from the TV (rubbed the skin with truffle salt! ) and it was v tasty and tender!!! Go me! :drinker: Normally I cook slow roasted legs, which we love.
    Had it with the mashed carrot, rutabaga and celeriac which I froze before and flat green beans. Counted in 300 calories.
    One tip for newbies. When I freeze stuff I always write the calorie count on the label. So today my mash clearly stated 200 calories. (2 portions) I have a terrible memory and that is a great help. :D

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Michele – As the Mother of the Bride, you get to chose the color and style; then you let the Mother of the Groom know what color you are wearing? My Mother wore a nice Canteloupe dress she had made. I designed my own wedding dress and veil and she made that. Mimi crotched a beaded belt that you linked it over itself and it hung down a couple of feet. Both sisters were in the wedding in a nice deep avocado sheath dress matching the style less the beaded and lace long opened coat, and a Juliette cap veil. She also made my ‘going away suit’ and I found shoes that actually matched both colors – dark avocado and brown check. We borrowed their car; and, they girls were down in the back seat but started laughing so they got out. I think the nicest thing we had was a box of reception food for our trip, we did not get much at the wedding. They were in a ‘small’ cake box and one the passenger side. We wolfed them down on our way to the Smokey Mountains.

We used to have a Mars in Albany; now closed – it actually moved. Made all sorts of candy they sold to the public in a small building. My favorite was the ‘melt in your mouth peppermints’.

Maybe Pete will grow on you. Louis always did things around parent’s house, even though they had not asked him to. Neither of the other SsnL lifted a finger … neither were good with tools, one was left-handed. I love grapefruit from FL. Even though I am not supposed to eat it due to the medications I am on. Go figure! My belly is bigger and I have been drinking a lot more water on most days. Yesterday I bought a couple of bras and several pair of panties, on sale at Victoria Secret. Their bras were $20 less that the ones at Dillard’s. The ones I had bought at Dillard’s a couple of years ago for $38 were now $65. I’m not going to spend that much for a bra. The ones at Victoria Secret fit me, and one is a T-shirt bra that you really cannot tell you have one on since it is smooth all the way around. Panties ‘on sale’. None of the lingerie was on sale; but, they would donate $2 to the Susan G. Khonen (sp) Cancer Society. But, that did not happen for me. Three pair of panties for $39.
    My birthday is also next week … the 22nd and I will be 66. Guess now Louis can tell people he can ‘trade’ me in on three 22-year-olds while he has the chance. I keep telling him, he could not keep up with them. At least not at the same time. Going to take the T-shirt bra back and try on a smaller cup size. When I tried it on this morning at home, it just did not seem to fit me as well as the other style. I could buy a black one, if they don't fit.

Katla – Don’t feel left out; Louis is dragging his feet on the porch door. We are having the house appraised next Thursday, so I am not particularly happy with him. Oh well, slowly but surely we’ll get it finished.

KetoneKaren – Alert and I love the rabbit. My oldest DGD had a rabbit like that and my DMGD had a cat.

Paula – Mallory walked her Mama down the aisle and the preacher asked ‘who wants this family joined’ and she said, ‘I do’. She stood there throughout the service and after he kissed Tami, he leaned over and gave her a peck on the cheek; after their first dance, he danced with her standing on his feet and then he picked her up and twirled her around. She loves the daylights and stars out of him. Her Dad is a bit jealous of Will and her ‘talking about what all he does for and with her only makes it more obvious’.

Wasn’t that a baby boy that also ended up in the NICU? I think his name was something like “Neil” … has anybody heard from his grandmother? Don’t remember her name; but, it seems like is was someone also named “Karen”. ???? Maybe I just imagined it, could be.

Gloria – What test are you talking about?

Heather – My DMS had her entire condo remodeled and said the paint job was awful. Asked if we’d come down and let Louis re-do the paint job. She used a dark blue (not navy) in bathroom and they put one coat on, so it is streaking; but, after 4 months of having workers in her home, she was ready for them to get the “kitten” out of there. She said they’d come and stay about 3 hours, then leave.

Yvonne and Heather – I rarely wear dresses either; but have a few, one that I bought is really too short to be a dress and a little too long to look good as a tunic. I rarely wear stockings, if ever. Wear boots, ankle or knee, and/or flats. Socks with all except the flats. If the foot-lets don't show, I will wear a pair of them. No regular heels for me, too unstable on my feel. I do have one pair that I just can’t part with. Got some of those foam things to go in them to keep them from sliding off my feet.

Pip – If it has stuffing in it, Cracker is going to tear it apart and have stuffing all over the house. Chocolate can be deadly to a dog; never, ever let them eat a grape or raisin, surgery might help but it is a ‘killer’ usually. We don’t give Cracker any table scraps or anything considered ‘human’ food. Your Vet can give you a ‘long’ list of ‘human foods’ that will make a dog sick or possibly have deadly consequences.

Heather – We had a house payment and a balloon note on the land we finally built on. We were surprised that our house ‘sold’ the night we listed it with an agent. Another agent was looking for a house that her aunt might be interested in that was ‘move in ready’. Ours was, had new carpet and linoleum and was freshly painted throughout and outside. Louis took my 'lump sum that I got from the time I filed, through the date that I was actually put on it. By that time I had already gotten the check.

Becca – I had a corned beef sandwich yesterday and I think that is what has upset my tummy; severe cramping. I actually liked the ‘hot wing sandwich’ better. Little sliders. DOGD wants to go to “Mellow Mushroom” to celebrate her birthday. With what I have eaten today, so far and factoring in my protein bar at night hasn’t let me with too much I can eat for supper, without going over. I’ve already decided what I will get and maybe eat a small piece of pizza. It will be too tempting; but, I won’t eat the crust.

I’ve got to start straightening up the house for the appraisal. What a real P.I.T.A. Going to start with the kitchen because it is the room where everything get dumped on the counter (not very much counter room either).

Lenora – Page 42
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Health insurance-prior to Obamacare we paid $500 deductible out-of-pocket per person now $5500 each! We cannot even afford to go to a doctor. Our health insurance payment per month has gone up from $50 for me on my husband's plan to $350 a month! Unbelievable! I would rather not pay health insurance and pocket the $1200 a month that together our insurance costs us now!
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    We are also blessed with insurance from hub's job at Rockwell....Boeing.I asked where would we have been..with my huge medical bills without our insurance. He said dead & buried. Probably so! One of our DDs has a $6000 deductible.Just unbelievable & a crying shame for everyone in that position.JMO
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Kate, those apartments are something else. I can't imagine what the different views they would have from those balconies.

Heather, how can a bread rise in the refrigerator??? I thought they always needed a warm spot.

Well I guess I should be glad I am as old as I am, 67 and Charlie 68. We pay our Medicare A and B through our SS checks and then our additional insurance which covers medicine is $29/month. I can't remember what the deductible is for our non hospital costs but I have never met it. It is waived for our medicine. My cardiac cath with stent last year was $42,000 and I paid not quite $2000. Our water and electric has really gone up though. Our sewer system here in Evansville is very old and it brought up the cost. We have a heat pump and in the dead of winter or a very hot summer we get close to $200. Normal bill is around $110. We hope with our new windows that goes down. At least that's what the salesman said. But that's what sales people say to get you to buy.

Penny, what an exquisite picture.

Allie wrote 'I feel empowered that I threw this all in his lap.. it is his decision ..
    we have discussed finances, and I think he knows he has to make a decision on either getting rid of me and knowing that he will lose alot financially.. Or try and work through our problems and make our marriage work.' If you feel empowered by throwing it all in his lap.....it is his decision, then you are not empowering yourself. You are still letting him control you. And you saying 'getting rid of me'?????? You aren't a piece of paper or piece of garbage to get rid of. You are a precious woman, a valued human being. Please don't refer to it as 'getting rid of me'.

Joyce, in rainy Indiana
  • Annr
    Options
    Penny. Actually the dish set we have is from a local store Fred Meyers, heehee. My Ramen bowl is from Japan though. My dream is to have mismatched bowls from various artists, so my kitchen looks like an art gallery!
    Becca
    Oregon
  • Annr
    Options
    Heather great idea putting the calorie content in the things you freeze! I will definite be doing that! I just made some oven baked salmon so portioning it out presently.
    Becca
    Oregon
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Penny- beautiful photo. What an amazing place to live.
    All the insurance talk made me think of my recent health issue. One emergency room, one transfer by ambulance and four days in hospital. My DH served 24 years in the AF so we have same insurance as Janetr and Becky. My Dsil said their deductible is $6500. Tomorrow is last day of antibiotics and I will be glad because my stomach is still messed up.
    My neighber just put her house up for sale. Sold in two days. Now she has to find a new house quick.
    I finally got all the lirope (sp) cut back and DH put down the cedar mulch so we aRe getting close to having the gardens in good shape. It's a good thing because we leave the third for our big trip to SE Asia.
    Hope everyone is having a good day.
    SueBDew in TX
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,796 Member
    Options
    evening ladies~
    \Joyce ~ sorry dont want to be a piece of paper.. yes I still have rights, but feel as if he is just going to go along , ignoring me than he needs to make a freakin decision.. if you want me here work with me, If not.. hit the bricks... but not before I get paid for the 20 yrs I have put into this marriage...
    working tomorrow until noon...
    Taliah -loved her coloring stuff I got her..
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,345 Member
    Options
    I think it was Lanette who first mentioned the Myers Brigg tests. I want to say thank you. :flowerforyou:
    I was a bit surprised at first by my result as it is not the way I see myself, but I realised as I was reading the profile that I have been that person all along and not allowed myself to fully appreciate it. Today, in an argument with DH, I was able to say, "Well, that's just the way I am and I'm proud of it." :D (He is not feeling well >:) ) I definitely feel a sense of relief and, yes, pride at being myself.
    On Gretchen Ruben's (The Happiness Project) four characteristics I come out as a Questioner, which is consistent with the Myers Brigg. One of Gretchen Ruben's "commandments" is "Be Gretchen". That's very empowering. I think we too often try to fit into moulds that other people expect for us, especially when we are young and uncertain of our needs. Luckily I am now too old to care!!! :laugh: I am happy to be me and won't be questioning my behaviours and preferences as much as I was. I am going to "Be Heather". :D:D:DB)

Lots of love, Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Happy St Patrick's Day! waving-irish-flag-smiley-emoticon.gif

Janetr Jack served our country for over 20 years. He more than earned that good health insurance coverage! I am so glad you and other Tricare recipients on this thread don't have health insurance worries! And I hope retired military personnel continue to enjoy good health care coverage in this and future administrations.

My heart goes out to those who are dealing with health care uncertainty. I am going to keep working for awhile, so I will keep my employer-provided health insurance for now. I feel fortunate that I have this option, even though I would really like to retire. I'd have to win the lottery to retire now, but in 3-4 years perhaps I can swing it.

Penny Wow, I love that photo! Breathtaking! Enjoy the food at the research site, and keep running! I looked up the fascinating festival in Spain that Kate alluded to: "Fallas" in honor of the patron saint of carpenters Saint Joseph. The giant satirical puppet sculptures are burned at the end of the festival. They include Angela Merkel and Donald Trump. Out of the hundreds of sculptures, 2 are voted to be "saved" (not burned) and go into a permanent collection at the Fallas Museum in Valencia, Spain. http://in.reuters.com/article/spain-culture-fallas-idINKBN16N2LW

My oven is finally fixed, almost $500 later, so I am happily roasting vegetables. And I am making yogurt in my Instant Pot.

Guess who bought LulaRoe leggings? 2vmr66fz2m60.jpg

Karen in Virginia
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Karen in VA - Awesome :)

Janetr OKC
  • gotu52
    gotu52 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Hello

I can't remember who said this but it has really resonated with me. It was something like rather than willpower which is short lived, strategy and good planning are more sustainable. What a smart way to look at things. I use strategy: don't expose myself to tempting things and I never have to worry about willpower. Really great food for thought pardon the pun.

Penny Oh what a gorgeous pic!
    Lisa of what a stressful situation <hugs>

Have a great night.
    <3 Sarah