Humans are not designed to drink cows milk

Options

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I find it quite sad the number of people who can't understand that we were never designed to drink milk from strange mammals

To those of you unable to understand I am sorry :(

But your mother was a stranger when you were first started breastfeeding.

and what do you mean by "designed" when we were not designed but rather evolved?

I'd been living in close quarters with my mother for about 9 months before breastfeeding.

What proof can you offer that evolution is not by design?
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    My uncle was a dairy farmer in Louisiana for all of his adult life. Every summer when we went we "helped" or just got in the way or something.

Cows had to have BEEN pregnant to START producing milk, however like with all other mammals, once you're producing milk if you keep "stimulated" to produce more you continue producing milk FOREVER.

That being said, I can't drink milk anymore. Or if I do - I get to pay for it in the potty.

For cows to produce milk, they have to give birth to a calf every year. Most calves are separated from the cows within twelve hours of birth to reduce the risk of disease, and most do not stay on the farm for long.

Did you miss the part where she said her uncle was a dairy farm all his life and she helped him out on the farm every summer?

Pretty sure that a person who grows up around that kind of stuff might know what they're talking about. :flowerforyou:
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    i am going to have a nice glass of milk and a big fat steak. afterwards i am going to put on some makeup that was tested on monkeys while i go club a baby seal for some fine mittens.

later.

Pfffft. Mittens. That's like, a beginner seal fur purchase. I'd go for the full length coat.

stop-clubbing-baby-seals-punctuation_zps9d534377.jpg
  • CookNLift
    CookNLift Posts: 3,660 Member
    Options
    I worry more about Monsanto and their pesticides than cow's milk being "unhealthy" for human consumption.

and in lieu of tomorrow's awesomeness. wolverine approves this message.

wolverine-got-milk.jpg
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    That would be from the RSPCA right? Nah does not happen here at all. :yawn:

And? That document clearly states that there is Code of Practice to follow to stop this? If a farmer fails to abide by that Code they will get prosecuted for causing unnecessary suffering.

Each year, this is the fate of around 800 000 bobby calves in Australia. Because they will very soon go to slaughter, bobby calves often do not get the same standard of housing, cleanliness, care or attention as the valuable replacement heifers or the bull calves being reared for veal.

Wait what? Did you read that part where it states they dont get the same standards? Or did you miss the part where the female cows are kept pregnant right at the start? That start part proves my whole point. Nah does not happen...I was told by sooooooooooooo many in here that it does NOT happen at all. Yet there is the proof from the RSPCA themselves that it does indeed happen... yet contradicting story from someone who knows someone who works in the animal welfare industry?

You can see that they are recommending 10 days old...yet they state most are killed at 5 days old. Just like I said in my original post.

Nope does not happen in Australia at all though right? Can't have it both ways.

I stated how the cows were kept pregnant (then I was called a liar) then I stated what happened to the girl calves (and called a liar) then what happens to the boy calves (and once again called a liar).... yet there it is written EXACTLY what happens. Potins proven ty very much I am outta here cause I know you lot will say it's still not true.

Enjoy your friggen milk.

We all will. Enjoy thinking about the treatment of cows while we suck down gallons and gallons of their sweet teet juices.

and in lieu of tomorrow's awesomeness. wolverine approves this message.
    29lyzgp.jpg
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    My uncle was a dairy farmer in Louisiana for all of his adult life. Every summer when we went we "helped" or just got in the way or something.

Cows had to have BEEN pregnant to START producing milk, however like with all other mammals, once you're producing milk if you keep "stimulated" to produce more you continue producing milk FOREVER.

That being said, I can't drink milk anymore. Or if I do - I get to pay for it in the potty.

For cows to produce milk, they have to give birth to a calf every year. Most calves are separated from the cows within twelve hours of birth to reduce the risk of disease, and most do not stay on the farm for long.

que?

Have you ever been to a dairy farm?
  • srslybritt
    srslybritt Posts: 1,618 Member
    Options
    I can't believe this is still going and on its second thread after the OP very clearly abandoned it. Bravo, good sir.

Side note, The U.S.'s version of the RSPCA is the ASPCA. I'm not going to sit here and squabble immaturely, nor am I going to say what my stance is. In4drama. :)
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    The bottom line here is; dairy farming is hard work, labor intensive, and takes a lot of money. Stressed cows produce less milk. For economic reasons as well as ease of handling, it makes sense to treat milk cows in a humane manner. As for slaughtering excess male calves, the dairy farm I spent a lot of my childhood on always had a paddock full of male calves that were weaned and being ready to ship to auction, to be beef. So yes, many excess bull calves go to slaughter. So what? I can't see anything wrong with that. The farmer doesn't need them, he can make some money selling them at auction. I recall my sister buying one of those calves, raised it to market weight, put it in the freezer, and it was good grass-fed beef. DOMESTIC MEAT ANIMALS ARE FOR USE. Meat, milk, leather, cheese ,eggs, wool. We own them, we use them. That's why they were domesticated in the first place!
  • CookNLift
    CookNLift Posts: 3,660 Member
    Options

For the umpteenth time: How does animal cruelty have ANYTHING to do with Humans being designed to drink cows milk?

This personal vendetta you have on trying to convert the rest of the people who do drink cow's milk is exhausting to say the least. No offense, just being honest. This should be it's own thread if you want to preach about PETA or animal cruelty issues. If you can scientifically prove that drinking milk is unhealthy or humans are not designed to drink cows milk based upon evidence shown through your cruelty claims then go for it.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    64692d1353692312-post-up-your-turbocharged-engine-bay-thread-direction-jpg
  • costahobo
    costahobo Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    duty_calls.png
  • SirBonerFart
    SirBonerFart Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    Are you guys still here? :huh:
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    you are big man for catching such a big fish.
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options
    I find it quite sad the number of people who can't understand that we were never designed to drink milk from strange mammals

To those of you unable to understand I am sorry :(

But your mother was a stranger when you were first started breastfeeding.

and what do you mean by "designed" when we were not designed but rather evolved?

I'd been living in close quarters with my mother for about 9 months before breastfeeding.

What proof can you offer that evolution is not by design?

As I stated before. Man nipples, mitochondria and birth defects.
  • Jerrypeoples
    Jerrypeoples Posts: 1,541 Member
    Options
    i am going to have a nice glass of milk and a big fat steak. afterwards i am going to put on some makeup that was tested on monkeys while i go club a baby seal for some fine mittens.

later.

Pfffft. Mittens. That's like, a beginner seal fur purchase. I'd go for the full length coat.

stop-clubbing-baby-seals-punctuation_zps9d534377.jpg

like two peas in a pod
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    successful troll is successful?
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options

que?

Have you ever been to a dairy farm?

They don't *have* to give birth to a calf every year, but their milk production drops significantly after the first year and many do dry up altogether (many do not, but will persist in lactation with a lower quantity of milk.) It is most profitable and generally done to aim for a twelve month calving interval.

Whether the calves are reared on the farm or not depends on many factors, including the breed of the calf. For example, Jerseys are unpopular in meat programs (they have an excellent flavor but are delicate and need extra care, and they are also smaller and put on weight more slowly) so quite often the bull calves *are* killed at birth. When we were raising free-range veal for the restaurants, we got many Jersey bull calves free for this reason. Other breeds (like Holstein) are much more popular for meat and tend to be shipped to a meat raiser.
  • Jameson1984
    Jameson1984 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Did you know that in order for a cow to produce milk she must be pregnant. The cows are KEPT pregnant year round to produce it. The girl calves are kept to raise as new cows & the cycles starts again. The boy calves are killed as young as 5 days old as they become useless to milk production. 5 days old. Separated from their mother & killed because they are a boy.

Think about THAT when having your cows milk. The dairy industry won't tell you that either.

Proof please?
    I worked on a dairy farm for 4 months out of the year for almost 15 years and never saw this.

The general public needs the truth. We all want to enjoy our food with a clean conscience. Those who believe cows are treated fairly drink milk, those who do not, do not drink milk.

As a dairy farmer, what was your personal experience and what everyone wants to know is, did the cows suffer pain or abuse?
    Thanks in advance.
    My opinion is that people do not have enough facts to make a true judgement. I don't drink milk because I like the idea of eating food raw and from nature and I'd personally never approach a cow in a field and suckle it. And having dairy causes me skin and respiratory allergies.

Pain or abuse? Absolutely not
    Does it happen? I am sure at some dairy farms it does, but the many that I have worked on, it does not.

I don't know about you, but I have a difficult time taking serious any conversation that includes the terms "girl" and/or "boy" when referring to young cattle. The terms "boy" and "girl" refer to the human species, not to bovines.

Also, I don't think the lactation process differs greatly between species of mammals. Pregnancy stimulates the hormones necessary to begin lactation (esp oxytocin which generates "milk-letdown"), but once lactation begins, it is the continual stimulation of the breast (or teat for bovine) that continues the milk production - not pregnancy.

Wait so there are no boy or girl animals? Only in HUMANS? I have 2 GIRL dogs. Yeah they are female. Girl or boy refers to YOUNG female or male.... regardless of what animal they are. :noway:

Female cattle who have not had a calf yet are called heifers. Bull calves are unaltered males. Altered males are called steers.
  • sv92
    sv92 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    From Registered Dietician Julieann Hever to "Forks Over Knives"

http://www.forksoverknives.com/nutrition-faq/

"Dairy products are not healthy, regardless of whether they are organic or conventional. Even organically produced dairy contain naturally occurring steroids and hormones, which can promote cancer growth. Also found in dairy products are toxins including fertilizers, pesticides, herbicides, fungicides, veterinary medicines, antibiotic residues, synthetic preservatives, and additives. The animal protein, fat, and cholesterol (even nonfat/skim milk contains cholesterol) all contribute to heart disease, certain cancers, diabetes, and other major chronic disease. Dairy has been found to be pro-inflammatory and, essentially, is not a healthy choice. Any of the beneficial nutrients found in milk, like calcium, are found in sufficient amounts in a healthful plant-based diet."