Are Squat Butts Real??

1235»

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    RavenLibra wrote: »
    The best butt at the Gym I go to belongs to a young woman, (under 30 I would estimate) who kills it on her "leg day" after her warm up she goes straight for a barbell and a bench to do hip thrusts with some 315 lbs... 3 sets of 15... then the smith machine for lunges ... then it's off to the squat machine and then leg curls, she spends at least 2 hours "working it" what is her diet like? I couldn't say... I do know she takes her workouts a serious as any.

Loved this story, thanks!
    of course it takes time and dedication to work yourself up to weights exceeding 300 lbs... and this young lady has obviously taken the time and dedicated herself to herself... sure there are smoke and mirrors to enhance fitness models... but if you spend anytime at a co-ed gym... you will find women of all ages putting in the effort... just like dudes. Bro's and Brah's ... so, spend less time cruising social media... and become a participant in your life and YOU won't be asking questions like this.
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    IG/YouTube is full of people posting trying to be famous and/or selling a product. Much like one sees a model using a bowflex or aerobics DVD with muscular body, its just a form of marketing to sell products. Social media is full of bad information and followed by people that believe and follow them/it.

this..

stop cruising social media looking for your "ideal body" type....

I'm actually not on much social media currently. I follow that girl's fitness channel on YouTube. (Notice in the one picture I had googled her Instagram and not taken the picture from Instagram.)

I don't keep a serious Facebook account either. Five friends :D .

Actually... the only thing I'm on regularly is Twitter. Which I use for news. And here.... (Rather funny talking about cruising social media while posting on a forum.)

Besides! Nothing wrong with wondering what's physiologically possible
    . :)

if you want to know what is physiologically possible then I would suggest reading real articles on health and fitness and not cruising social media for it.

I could be wrong, but I feel like 'physiological' is being used in the wrong context here?

Boy... you guys sure know how to nitpick.

Does anatomically work better for you?

Nothing wrong with wondering about what's anatomically possible.

Tbh... my original confusion had to do with the constant drum beat of women not being able to build large muscles and ALSO building large bums by lifting heavy. I'm wondering where on the spectrum reality is.

Edit: You know what... I'm sorry. I've been neglecting all the really helpful information.

I'm inspired. I'm currently in a deficit, so my muscle building won't do much. But I can look ahead and see a future where my butt isn't too saggy from weight loss.

Generally when people talk about women not being able to build large muscles, they're usually talking about getting really big and the context is generally in a discussion where said woman thinks she's going to walk past a rack of dumbbells and turn into the hulk.

Also, a lot is going to depend on genetics. My wife maintains a fair amount of muscle mass and can build muscle mass relatively easy as compared to many other women. One of her girlfriends is really petite and has a pretty rough go of it and genetically will always have a pretty flat *kitten*.

I am genetically gifted with a booty..squatting and whatnot has enhanced that...but I know a lot of guys who squat and have the typical, flat, man *kitten*.

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Sumiblue wrote: »
    I think women can expect to gain .5-1 lb of muscle per month if eating over maintenance and training consistently. But, you can't just gain in your glutes.

You can target working your glutes if you have something to work with. Everyone has glutes, of course, but some glutes are very underdeveloped.

Bret Conteras' Strong Curves is good.

it is more like .25 muscle to .75 fat for every pond gained...

*kitten*, really? That ain't fair :s
    Remind me to never bulk.

Don't let that discourage you! I mean, bulking isn't for everyone, but it is such an amazing experience (kind of like a rollercoaster ride sometimes) but watching your body transform before your eyes is really cool. Ya so there is fat gain, but believe me if you go slow and steady and it isn't too bad (at least in my experience!) Obviously you look fantastic so whatever you are doing is working, but if you were considering jumping into the bulk pool it isn't that bad :p

And OP, no worries.. I often wonder the same thing.. how much is really possible with muscle growth, what is enhanced, what is angle, what is genetics.. I actually admit, I spend too much time on social media (mainly Instagram) it is terrible, and I know I shouldn't do it. I should be focusing on myself but meh, sometimes I like to see what other people are up to and what they did (or say they did) to get where they are.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,069 Member
    edited March 2017
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

I am genetically gifted with a booty..squatting and whatnot has enhanced that...but I know a lot of guys who squat and have the typical, flat, man *kitten*.

Yes! Speaking of genetics...I have two 13yr old boys. One is my biological son, the other is adopted. They have always been the same height, same weight. but one has a booty you could bounce a nickel off of (while the rest of him is skin and bones) and the other has a flat butt, but pecs and a six pack.

Edit* - And if anyone is wondering...the flat butt comes from me. :cry:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,916 Member
    Couple of things matter here: building in a surplus and genetics. Your shape is your shape and no amount of exercise will absolutely change your genetic shape, but you can ENHANCE what you already have.
    Doing squats and hip thrusts will develop strength and some muscle tone, but actually growing muscle on the current shape you have takes quite a bit of work and again a surplus.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,463 Member
    Posture can make your rear look bigger too, see above pics for reference. Most of the women I've ever known want smaller butts, not bigger ones, lol.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    I think women can expect to gain .5-1 lb of muscle per month if eating over maintenance and training consistently. But, you can't just gain in your glutes.

You can target working your glutes if you have something to work with. Everyone has glutes, of course, but some glutes are very underdeveloped.

Bret Conteras' Strong Curves is good.

it is more like .25 muscle to .75 fat for every pond gained...

*kitten*, really? That ain't fair :s
    Remind me to never bulk.

Well that purely depends on your surplus. If I eat at a 500 calorie surplus itll be around a 1:1.5 ratio of muscle to fat. If I eat at a 750 calorie surplus it'll be more like a 1:2-2.5 muscle to fat gain ratio.

• OrdinaryDude300
    OrdinaryDude300 Posts: 51 Member
    The women i see squattin in the gym almost all have really nice butts. Before and after my gf has very noticable improvement from a year and half ago. Not too forget she has probably x3 her leg strength in that time too. Squats appear to get real and nice results
    0831227 Posts: 84 Member
    edited March 2017
    tt2ifd8ftdtc.jpg
    ebdb2yqbmqex.jpg

Squat Butts are real as long as you don't expect crazy instagram results. I saw this really small change in 6 months of squatting + rear kicks + the behind-the-thigh musculation machine. If somebody here have the real names, I will gladly learn and sound less lame :smiley:

PS: a lot of running, I lost about 10 pounds between the two photos. As you can see there is really not much of a difference for that much work, so yes, they are real and not real I guess (for me).
  • PandoraGreen721
    PandoraGreen721 Posts: 450 Member
    Depending on what page you're looking at depends on the answer. As others have said calorie surplus..progressive overload for some...genetics..all of these things play a role.

I have occasionally eaten in a surplus (unless you count eating back exercise calories..which may or may not be accurate) I have usually always eaten around maintenance. I wouldn't say it has gotten bigger..my quads have for sure..I think mostly it lifted and shaped what I already had. I would like to bulk eventually..but not at a place where I'm ready to do that unless it is a very slow bulk. I have eaten more on days where I am hungry..but aside from newb gains I don't know that my booty got any bigger..just picked up and more sculpted.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Yes mine is real.
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    The best butt at the Gym I go to belongs to a young woman, (under 30 I would estimate) who kills it on her "leg day" after her warm up she goes straight for a barbell and a bench to do hip thrusts with some 315 lbs... 3 sets of 15... then the smith machine for lunges ... then it's off to the squat machine and then leg curls, she spends at least 2 hours "working it" what is her diet like? I couldn't say... I do know she takes her workouts a serious as any.

of course it takes time and dedication to work yourself up to weights exceeding 300 lbs... and this young lady has obviously taken the time and dedicated herself to herself... sure there are smoke and mirrors to enhance fitness models... but if you spend anytime at a co-ed gym... you will find women of all ages putting in the effort... just like dudes. Bro's and Brah's ... so, spend less time cruising social media... and become a participant in your life and YOU won't be asking questions like this.

Though most of what you said is true, your last statement is judgy. Some of us aren't sitting on our *kitten* just reading social media... we are unable to be at the gym at the moment so we look for the best of advice and may have questions that we'd love to hear REAL answers to... So I think that you should stop judging and leave the best info you can...Which you DID, but you'll lose people by saying stuff like your last sentence.
    My last comment was directed at the OP... It's the Internet, without full disclosure of course it will come across as "Judgy" CAN you build a more robust bottom? at home? review those atheltes that have "that" type of bottom... Cyclists, and Volleyball players make their living from enhanced leg and glutes. the key... reps.. reps and more reps.