How not to be a gym douche...

Options

Replies

• Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    A few of mine:

- circuit training. In a busy gym, one dude can't expect to have 4-5 pieces of equipment unoccupied while he jumps from station to station. If you want to have an entire gym to yourself, buy your own equipment and build one in your basement.

- long treadmill walkers. If you plan on going for 2 hour walk at 2mph, the park or the mall is probably an excellent place to go, instead of parking on a treadmill while others would like to use it
    Join a different gym lol they pay for it too

We all pay - that doesn't mean that anything goes, a minimum level of etiquette isn't a lot to ask.
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Regarding the 5 minute rest thing... even on days when I'm hitting my 1RM, I rest for 3 min tops. I have a cheap digital watch that I use to keep track of the time, and I purposely make sure not to chat it up with my friends because A) I'm focused, and B) I know the guy waiting on me is wondering what the **** I'm doing just sitting there chatting.

5 sets, at 5 minute rests, is 25+ minutes at the gym using the equipment for one ****ing exercise. If you're going to tie up equipment for that long, you need to go at non-busy times or be especially courteous to the people around you. If you have to question why being courteous like this is important, find a 3rd grader to explain it to you and be a man already.
  • rabblerabble
    rabblerabble Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I had to unload 6 100 lb plates off of the leg press today. First off...there is literally a sign right there stating to put your weights away. Second...really?!!! WHERE THE HECK IS THIS 645 LB LEG PRESS MAN....I know it is not that much, I do 10 reps of 405 max as a female....but I never see this guy loading 6 plates on there. Third....I know I can put them away...but s*it...its leg day....I am already gonna need every drop of energy I can get. Douche.

Most people dont bother me in the gym, its the people that dont take weight off the machines.

Someone on another board put it quite simply: "If you're strong enough to lift it, you're strong enough to put it away after your sets are completed." (Same goes for dumbbells too of course.)
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Someone on another board put it quite simply: "If you're strong enough to lift it, you're strong enough to put it away after your sets are completed." (Same goes for dumbbells too of course.)

"if you can lift it- you can rack it"
  • aggiehaylea13
    Options
    This happened yesterday and I wanted to scream!

This young girl (probably about high school age) gets on the treadmill RIGHT next to me (there were plenty of empty ones around) only to talk VERY LOUDLY about very private things on her cell phone while she is in the middle of running! I go to the gym for my personal peaceful time! Not so I can listen to your conversation!
  • spicy618
    spicy618 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    - circuit training. In a busy gym, one dude can't expect to have 4-5 pieces of equipment unoccupied while he jumps from station to station. If you want to have an entire gym to yourself, buy your own equipment and build one in your basement.

This just happened to me yesterday.

This one guy, had the squat rack all set up with a rubber thingy, jump box, mat, and some other stuff. I asked if he was going to be long. He said "only 5 more minutes". "Cool", i said. I'll just do some OHP while i wait. He tells me he's using that, plus another piece of equipment. "I'm doing circuits", he says. I said, "You need to do circuits in your OWN gym, you're being inconsiderate." I then proceeded to do my workout.

The nerve of some people. :noway:
  • KissMeImShtFaced
    Options
    Hi. I take going to the gym way to seriously and feel like I should scrutinize every little thing people do that's even slightly annoying or inconvenient to me. It is life and death after all.
  • thinklivebefree
    thinklivebefree Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Not sure if anyone said this but...How about "Don't smell like a DOUCHE" I know we all sweat, stink, etc but if your body odor can cause an upper respiratory infection in kittens and small dogs lol please wash up a bit before the gym...It wont hurt!
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Hi. I take going to the gym way to seriously and feel like I should scrutinize every little thing people do that's even slightly annoying or inconvenient to me. It is life and death after all.

So etiquette isn't important?
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Really? Does it also drive you crazy if I asked to work in a set because I am on a time constraint and I need to use the particular equipment you're on?

Yes ... I'm not cutting my sets short to accommodate a stranger in a rush. Sorry. Not really :p

If you're sitting there resting for five+ minutes and MY working in ONE SET is going to take a whopping 3 minutes (out of the rest time you're already taking) then you're a douche for not letting someone work in. It's proper gym etiquette to be accommodating. You're probably the same person who doesn't remove the weights from the equipment that you just used too.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    During strength training I'm 5-7 min between sets. During that time I'll talk to friends if I want to. So sucks to be you.

5) Notice the people around you, and don't talk to your friend for 5 minutes between sets.

Agree with all except this one - not sure I care what people do between their sets. 5 minutes isn't crazy IMO

It is when I need to work in a set on the equipment you're monopolizing while chit chatting to your friends.

Well then you're a rude *kitten*. :flowerforyou:

Why does it matter if someone is chit chatting with their friends while they recover? 5 minutes is not a crazy break at all in between sets when you are powerlifting.

I'd have no problem with someone else working in, but it's just a wide sweeping silly generalization that anyone resting 5 minutes between sets is somehow rude. Most everything I have read suggest 3-5 minutes during strength training (between sets).

The issue is that the person who is resting for a long period of time and chit chatting on the phone is the type of person who WOULDN'T let someone else work in. The whole "If I want to chit chat on the phone with my friends sucks to be you" is the attitude that says "I'm using this machine and NO you CAN'T work in a set because it's MINE!"
  • LazyGuy91
    LazyGuy91 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Really? Does it also drive you crazy if I asked to work in a set because I am on a time constraint and I need to use the particular equipment you're on?

Yes ... I'm not cutting my sets short to accommodate a stranger in a rush. Sorry. Not really :p

If you're sitting there resting for five+ minutes and MY working in ONE SET is going to take a whopping 3 minutes (out of the rest time you're already taking) then you're a douche for not letting someone work in. It's proper gym etiquette to be accommodating. You're probably the same person who doesn't remove the weights from the equipment that you just used too.

Quite the opposite. I don't waste times between sets. And when people are annoying enough to ask questions while I'm exercising, it makes me workout harder and longer to annoy them right back. So please, bug away!
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options

Quite the opposite. I don't waste times between sets. And when people are annoying enough to ask questions while I'm exercising, it makes me workout harder and longer to annoy them right back. So please, bug away!

Sometimes I ask people when they're going to be done because I'd like to work in (rare). More often it's because I'm planning what I can do before x thing will be free. It's not to pressure the person, it's just to make a plan for myself.
  • shirleygirl910
    shirleygirl910 Posts: 503 Member
    Options

This just happened to me yesterday.

This one guy, had the squat rack all set up with a rubber thingy, jump box, mat, and some other stuff. I asked if he was going to be long. He said "only 5 more minutes". "Cool", i said. I'll just do some OHP while i wait. He tells me he's using that, plus another piece of equipment. "I'm doing circuits", he says. I said, "You need to do circuits in your OWN gym, you're being inconsiderate." I then proceeded to do my workout.

The nerve of some people. :noway:

I'm just as rude. If someone tells me thier doing a circuit, horay for them. I'm going to use this machine while you are using that machine. Go ahead complain to management, let's see what they say?!!
  • CLFrancois
    CLFrancois Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    - long treadmill walkers. If you plan on going for 2 hour walk at 2mph, the park or the mall is probably an excellent place to go, instead of parking on a treadmill while others would like to use it

what the heck is the difference if is 2mph or 6mph? walk or run? it's a treadmill and is used for walking and running...right?
    (is there only one treadmill at this gym?)
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    bump
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Don't go, because inevitably someone at the gym will think you're being a douche somehow.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options

You could argue that runners shouldn't be on it either because they can run at the park. Many people can and do run and walk outside. Gonna be a dusty treadmill.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Reason why I workout in my home gym. I'd end up beating someone at the gym for sure.
  • meadow_sage
    meadow_sage Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    OMG.....I was going to post something similar. Yesterday, this guy decided to camp out on the arm extension machine. Another guy blocked the water fountain while talking to someone. Another guy was standing on the sides of a treadmill, instead of walking or running, texting. All the treadmills were being used.