Spring 2017 Dog Walking Challenge

Options

Replies

• WickAndArtoo
    WickAndArtoo Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    @nutmegoreo that sounds literally amazing! My dogs are super jealous!!
  • WickAndArtoo
    Options
    Wasn't our best week, I think we got around 8 miles. We missed a few walks this week due to moving around and traveling for work, back on schedule this week though!

Here's a photo from one of our hikes this week:
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Wasn't our best week, I think we got around 8 miles. We missed a few walks this week due to moving around and traveling for work, back on schedule this week though!

Here's a photo from one of our hikes this week:

That looks amazing! Love it.
  • Katagara
    Katagara Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Mission: 35km/week, 5km/day
    Success: YES! I had to carry Cheeks a few times but we got it done!
    Challenges: poison ivy between my baby toes
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Katagara wrote: »
    Mission: 35km/week, 5km/day
    Success: YES! I had to carry Cheeks a few times but we got it done!
    Challenges: poison ivy between my baby toes

Terrible challenge! Awesome success! :D
    I wish I could have carried my dog when she laid down in the middle of the trail and refuse to walk. But she's 70 pounds, so nope.
  • jenilla1
    Options
    Walking Buddies: Jen and April (Apes) - golden retriever-standard poodle mix
    Weekly Goal: Hit the long trail once or twice a week plus regular walks.
    How long/far did you walk this week?: 6.5 miles

Successes: Long hike achieved plus some short neighborhood strolls.

Challenges: 100+ degrees kept us from doing walks this weekend. Half way through our 5 mile hike she laid down in the trail and refused to budge. She's never done that before but she's getting old and it was warm, so I don't blame her. She was doing great and so excited, rushing to get to the water hole for a refreshing dip (I knew it had dried up in the heat but she didn't) so when she got there and it was just dust, she was crushed. Immediately after that, she laid down and quit. (I think it was a tantrum.) It was embarrassing that some bikers had to go around her big butt because she was blocking the trail. Too big and awkward to carry out (70+ pounds) or drag out of the way, so we just rested there and had snacks and drinks until she decided she was ready to go on again. She's been totally normal since then. But I think we will take shorter walks in the early morning for awhile and see if she does better.

• WickAndArtoo
    Options
    jenilla1 wrote: »
    Walking Buddies: Jen and April (Apes) - golden retriever-standard poodle mix
    Weekly Goal: Hit the long trail once or twice a week plus regular walks.
    How long/far did you walk this week?: 6.5 miles

Successes: Long hike achieved plus some short neighborhood strolls.

Challenges: 100+ degrees kept us from doing walks this weekend. Half way through our 5 mile hike she laid down in the trail and refused to budge. She's never done that before but she's getting old and it was warm, so I don't blame her. She was doing great and so excited, rushing to get to the water hole for a refreshing dip (I knew it had dried up in the heat but she didn't) so when she got there and it was just dust, she was crushed. Immediately after that, she laid down and quit. (I think it was a tantrum.) It was embarrassing that some bikers had to go around her big butt because she was blocking the trail. Too big and awkward to carry out (70+ pounds) or drag out of the way, so we just rested there and had snacks and drinks until she decided she was ready to go on again. She's been totally normal since then. But I think we will take shorter walks in the early morning for awhile and see if she does better.

Glad she is okay! Our 70 pound dog Wick does that too when he gets tired/hot. That is so sad about the watering hole I don't blame her at all that's heartbreaking :(
  • WickAndArtoo
    Options
    We hope everyone had a great week!

We have kind of adjusted our goals again, based on the fact that the FL weather is so incredibly ... difficult... between the heat and the thunderstorms. So we are just aiming for a few long walks a week and then exercise in the yard when the weather doesn't work out.

This week we managed ten miles in walks.

Successes: the boys have been very well behaved so I can walk them at the same time, meaning I can walk them longer distances.

Challenges: mosquitoes!!! Ughhhhhhh they are ruthless here. It doesn't matter how much bug spray we use they find the one centimeter it's not applied, and they even manage to get me through my long sleeves and pants :(

I didn't get a photo of their group walks since they had to be at 4 am due to temps/storm issues, but today weather was below 90 so we took daytime walks... only got a pic of Artoo, I was so proud of him, he carried water for both of us :smile: I carried the pack on the way back, sharing is caring :smile:

• jenilla1
    Options
    We hope everyone had a great week!

We have kind of adjusted our goals again, based on the fact that the FL weather is so incredibly ... difficult... between the heat and the thunderstorms. So we are just aiming for a few long walks a week and then exercise in the yard when the weather doesn't work out.

This week we managed ten miles in walks.

Successes: the boys have been very well behaved so I can walk them at the same time, meaning I can walk them longer distances.

Challenges: mosquitoes!!! Ughhhhhhh they are ruthless here. It doesn't matter how much bug spray we use they find the one centimeter it's not applied, and they even manage to get me through my long sleeves and pants :(

I didn't get a photo of their group walks since they had to be at 4 am due to temps/storm issues, but today weather was below 90 so we took daytime walks... only got a pic of Artoo, I was so proud of him, he carried water for both of us :smile: I carried the pack on the way back, sharing is caring :smile:

We are lucky here out West. I hardly ever encounter mosquitoes - and never in the daytime. Hate those little buggers! >:)
  • WickAndArtoo
    Options
    @jenilla1 ugh yeah, we are actually from the west, so we are extra missing home right now. It's so weird, before we began traveling I didn't realize mosquitos in the middle of the day in the middle of a city was a thing... let alone swarms :(
  • Katagara
    Options
    @jenilla1 Your story about your doggy's tantrum left me laughing out loud, adorable!

@WickAndArtoo The mosquitoes are awful some days makes the urge to breakout of my walk and into a run easier...
  • WickAndArtoo
    Options
    Katagara wrote: »
    @jenilla1 Your story about your doggy's tantrum left me laughing out loud, adorable!

@WickAndArtoo The mosquitoes are awful some days makes the urge to breakout of my walk and into a run easier...

That is so true!!!!
  • W0rldWarME
    W0rldWarME Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone! It's been three weeks since I last posted and it was my joining post.
    Unfortantly These past weeks have been hectic,computer crashing and lack of internet from my provider, I haven't been able to keep track with all of you :disappointed: Keesh and I kept walking even though we didn't track. Here's hoping you'll accept us back :smiley:
  • WickAndArtoo
    Options
    W0rldWarME wrote: »
    Hello Everyone! It's been three weeks since I last posted and it was my joining post.
    Unfortantly These past weeks have been hectic,computer crashing and lack of internet from my provider, I haven't been able to keep track with all of you :disappointed: Keesh and I kept walking even though we didn't track. Here's hoping you'll accept us back :smiley:

You kept up with the most important part, nice work!!
  • jenilla1
    Options
    Well, it's been a blast furnace where I live lately, and I haven't managed to get myself up early enough to go out for hikes before it's too hot for my old dog to bear. So we've been going over to my sister's house a few times a week and swimming in the pool instead. I guess that counts for something. We will be heading north to visit family in a couple of weeks, and there will be plenty of outdoor adventures to be had then! But in the meantime, it's been a bit of a fail for us in terms of our hiking. But we'll get there again when it cools off a bit. B)
  • WickAndArtoo
    Options
    @jenilla1 that is SO lucky you guys can use a pool, that must be so fun for the pup!! The heat struggle is so frustrating, but it is so worth waking up extra early to walk! My husband has to leave for for by 4 am, and I get up with him, so I have been just taking them for a 2 mile walk the second he leaves and then going back to bed for a "nap" after the walk lol!
  • jenilla1
    Options
    @jenilla1 that is SO lucky you guys can use a pool, that must be so fun for the pup!!
    She wouldn't get in the pool if it weren't for my sister's dog leading her in. She hesitates at first, but then she sees him having fun, swimming around like an otter, chasing everyone around and she can't help herself. She has to join in. LOL.
    The heat struggle is so frustrating, but it is so worth waking up extra early to walk! My husband has to leave for for by 4 am, and I get up with him, so I have been just taking them for a 2 mile walk the second he leaves and then going back to bed for a "nap" after the walk lol!
    That's so brilliant. My husband leaves for work at 4 am, too! I always just sleep right through it. I guess I could get my lazy self up, too. Not sure if I have the discipline. I'll try it out. It IS really nice in the early mornings in summertime.
  • WickAndArtoo
    Options
    @jenilla1 I used to sleep through it too, but then one day about four months ago I just decided to do it. I make him a smoothie and lunches in the morning so after a week it helped that I didn't want to stop because I would feel horrible if he didn't have something to eat for the day lol. I just don't think about it and get up, on days I feel tired I just remind my self that I can go back to sleep as soon as he leaves if I want, and sometimes I do! It's really awesome though because I usually walk the dogs, clean the house and then go back to sleep, then when I wake up at 8/9 am after my nap I feed the dogs and have the whole rest of the day to do whatever I need/want to do and it's like a free couple of hours haha. Now that it is so stinking hot out it comes in really handy.
  • Katagara
    Options
    Challenge: 5km/day, 35km/week
    Success: 32.2km and tons of landscaping
    I'm ready for another week!
    But first... dancing!
  • WickAndArtoo
    Options
    This week we went 10 miles, and for us that's just about perfect right now!

Successes: 4am walks mean no one else is around and we have a nice relaxing walk.

Challenges: I have been sore from my other workouts, so two days this week I went back to bed instead of doing our walk in the morning, and had to do it in the afternoon (hot) or not at all.

Goal this week: Walk first thing in am even when/if I'm sore.