Options

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    amyepdx wrote: »
    amyepdx wrote: »
    metalmeow1 wrote: »
    Need energy? Try flavored vitamin waters instead of plain water... It was just what I needed to curb fatigue!

You know that a lot of "vitamin waters" have sugar in them and are basically fancy Kool Aid? What kills me is that because they're a nutriceutical instead of a food, they don't have to print nutritional information on the label, so people don't realize that many of them have the same calories as Kool Aid or soda.

????
    cvhm0yr3n11d.jpg

That's the diet version. There are tons with sugar

It was more an answer to the conspiracy theory that nutritional labels aren't on Vitamin water.

This is the label from the vitamin water available here, all the ones i looked at were 0 calorie, none were labelled diet versions, and none of them had calories. Although how they can call this "vitamin water" is beyond me :huh:

dv4e1cqmnogx.gif
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Awww c'mon @TR0berts @cwolfman13 -- Its just celery :kissing_smiling_eyes:

I mean.. unless you are banning me for the cake... in which case i will just take that cake with me while i go... and this ice cream sundae lol

xt0p87tfjmww.png

You're allowed back in. Carry on.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    @Christine_72 here is an example of a Canadian vitamin water. It is glaceau vitamin water the same brand as the early 0 calorie photo zhkyk6nrpjqh.png
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    @Christine_72 here is an example of a Canadian vitamin water. It is glaceau vitamin water the same brand as the early 0 calorie photo zhkyk6nrpjqh.png

Geez quite the difference!

Lol yes you're right @cmriverside . I've forgotten what this thread is even about :open_mouth:
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options

Geez quite the difference!

Lol yes you're right @cmriverside . I've forgotten what this thread is even about :open_mouth:

Lol me too. I go off in all directions ;)
  • missmince
    missmince Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I agree that protein powder is not really part of a "real food" diet, but if you're just starting out, protein powder drinks aren't such a terrible thing. If you're aiming at the 1200 cal that MFP recommends for females wanting to lose weight, you don't have much wiggle room. A decent protein powder shake is a reliable and easy way to work your way up to all "natural" foods as you get the hang of weighing foods and planning. If she wants to use them for a month or two, it might help the OP be successful in weight loss and transitioning to the diet she wants.

Anyway, good luck with juggling weight loss with such a busy life!
  • JocelynDeshane
    JocelynDeshane Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    AgidGirl wrote: »
    Well, here I am at the heaviest I've ever been. I haven't tried every diet out there, haven't yo-yo dieted, never taken a diet pill but, I have been REALLY LAZY about my health and fitness! What can I say, I'm a super wife, busy mom-of-three, I work full time, you know the drill. It's time for a change!

So, here's what I'm doing so far:

1. Eating only 'real foods', nothing processed.
    2. Tracking what I eat here on MFP (1200 calories or less)
    3. Cut out sugar
    4. Replacing 1 meal a day with a protein shake
    5. Drinking half my weight (or more) in water
    6. Taking 1 serving of Amazing Grass each day

I've only been giving this approach a go since last Sunday. I have no problem with the food and I've been feeling pretty good, until yesterday. I think I might have hit a wall or something but...I'm exhausted! Any recommendations on things I can incorporate into my routine to help me feel more energized? Also, any tweeks or changes I should do with my 'plan'? Thanks so much for reading!

So some people are gonna be negative ( Typical ). BUT my suggestion is, be in a calorie defiecent.. If you have time go for walks with your kids! Get them involved! I would have about 5-6 meals a day. I personally don't like protein shakes or meal replacement shakes but that's preference!! If you have time I would cut up some veggies and fruits and put them in a container so you can snag some on the go or if you're hungry looking for a quick snack! I would drink LOTS of water!! Keep yourself hydrated.. grab a banana on the go! Breakfast options that are pretty good like egg whites and oatmeal with berries, have lots of variety. Just remember in the end DO WHAT YOU WANT TO DO, not what everyone else wants you to do. You know your body more then we do if you respond better to certain things go for it! Treat yourself here and there! Good luck! aoei9wiufzah.png
    t0refv87lgbx.png
    1kz5868hai00.png
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    Well, here I am at the heaviest I've ever been. I haven't tried every diet out there, haven't yo-yo dieted, never taken a diet pill but, I have been REALLY LAZY about my health and fitness! What can I say, I'm a super wife, busy mom-of-three, I work full time, you know the drill. It's time for a change!

So, here's what I'm doing so far:

1. Eating only 'real foods', nothing processed.
    2. Tracking what I eat here on MFP (1200 calories or less)
    3. Cut out sugar
    4. Replacing 1 meal a day with a protein shake
    5. Drinking half my weight (or more) in water
    6. Taking 1 serving of Amazing Grass each day

I've only been giving this approach a go since last Sunday. I have no problem with the food and I've been feeling pretty good, until yesterday. I think I might have hit a wall or something but...I'm exhausted! Any recommendations on things I can incorporate into my routine to help me feel more energized? Also, any tweeks or changes I should do with my 'plan'? Thanks so much for reading!

So some people are gonna be negative ( Typical ). BUT my suggestion is, be in a calorie defiecent.. If you have time go for walks with your kids! Get them involved! I would have about 5-6 meals a day. I personally don't like protein shakes or meal replacement shakes but that's preference!! If you have time I would cut up some veggies and fruits and put them in a container so you can snag some on the go or if you're hungry looking for a quick snack! I would drink LOTS of water!! Keep yourself hydrated.. grab a banana on the go! Breakfast options that are pretty good like egg whites and oatmeal with berries, have lots of variety. Just remember in the end DO WHAT YOU WANT TO DO, not what everyone else wants you to do. You know your body more then we do if you respond better to certain things go for it! Treat yourself here and there! Good luck! aoei9wiufzah.png
    t0refv87lgbx.png
    1kz5868hai00.png

Nice pictures :) But why would you recommend someone eating 5-6 times a day? Meal timing/frequency is a preference thing and doesn't matter for weight loss. It really varies between people-for me personally, eating that many times a day would be exhausting, and I do much better with IF/2 meals a day.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,962 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Yeah I also do IF and two meals, usually with one small snack. I guess if all I was eating is what's in those pictures I'd probably eat 5-6 times a day too, though. I'd always be hungry. Where's the protein and fat?

oh. Edit to say, Avocado! Yay for fat!
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Ah the people who read the OP, can't be bothered to read the 8 pages to see how the conversation has developed and post something we've all moved on from.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    Update! Thank you for all of your comments! Some of them got a little off track but it's been really nice to read and get a few laughs in here and there. Today has been very successful for me! I went for a brief walk on my lunch. Got a return label for the protein powder her everyone's recommendation, haha.

As far as the water goes I am drinking half my weight in ounces of water not pounds that would be a ton of water.

I consider real food things that don't come out of a can or jar. Basically food that is not processed. So instead of buying spaghetti sauce I would, ideally make my own. I realize that this is a huge undertaking especially getting started with a new eating plan and have decided to still incorporate some of what I would consider processed foods into my diet. I would really like to have the time and effort to be able to make most of my food from fresh ingredients but this is been a pretty big change for me and my family and time is of the essence, so I'm not sure how practical this is for right now.

I've also decided to give myself the chance to eat a few of the things that I still really enjoy. Things like chocolate occasional ice cream you get the picture

My mother canned (jarred), and I have no problems considering jarred food per se to be real food. What I object to is some ultra-processed, laboratory-engineered ingredients that I wouldn't use if I made something from scratch.

For example, I've baked bread, and know that this just requires a handful of ingredients. I avoid bread that has ingredients that allows it to stay on the shelf for weeks or dough conditioners like azodicarbonamide because while this may be necessary for my yoga mat, it is not necessary for bread. I no longer bake bread, because fresh bread is so yummy it's impossible for me to moderate it.

I've made pasta from scratch and decided it's just more practical to buy it. I do buy brands that use organic wheat.

I grow vegetables (organically) and have made spaghetti sauce from scratch using fresh tomatoes but I just don't care for it. (I don't like fresh tomatoes and grow them for other people.) I switched to making sauce from canned tomatoes, onions, peppers, garlic, and spices. I like this better than sauce from fresh tomatoes, but when my work responsibilities grew, switched to Newman's sauce, which I prefer for both convenience and taste.

I do find canned vegetables loathsome and since my OH likes creamed corn with meatloaf was delighted to find a recipe in the Joy of Cooking for creamed corn that we both like that uses fresh or frozen corn and cream.

If I only had access to one cookbook, it would be the Joy of Cooking. I think my family has had every edition since it first came out in the 30s. The only time it's ever steered me wrong was using the cold water start instead of hot water for hard boiled eggs.
  • metalmeow1
    metalmeow1 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Need energy? Try flavored vitamin waters instead of plain water... It was just what I needed to curb fatigue!

You know that a lot of "vitamin waters" have sugar in them and are basically fancy Kool Aid? What kills me is that because they're a nutriceutical instead of a food, they don't have to print nutritional information on the label, so people don't realize that many of them have the same calories as Kool Aid or soda.

All of the vitamin waters I drink are sugar free and below 20 calories. Propel & Vitamin Water. Even if they did have sugar, which they don't, the body needs a little sugar anyway.

The point is they contain vitamins, hydrate you, taste better than plain water, and makes working out more enjoyable. If you enjoy plain water, or with a wedge of fruit (which also has sugar by the way) then more power to you? Everyone's different.
  • metalmeow1
    Options

I'd also like to add that I drink them a lot and I'm still losing weight... And feeling great doing it. I wouldn't share my experience if I didn't think someone might benefit from it.
  • metalmeow1
    Options
    What kills me is that because they're a nutriceutical instead of a food, they don't have to print nutritional information on the label, so people don't realize that many of them have the same calories as Kool Aid or soda.

Another thing... These waters do have nutritional info on the labels a long with a list of ingredients... Why would I assume to know what's in them if they didn't?

Anyway OP, you can drink some B12/B6 and find huge difference :)
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I consider real food things that don't come out of a can or jar. Basically food that is not processed. So instead of buying spaghetti sauce I would, ideally make my own. I realize that this is a huge
    For example, I've baked bread, and know that this just requires a handful of ingredients. I avoid bread that has ingredients that allows it to stay on the shelf for weeks or dough conditioners like azodicarbonamide because while this may be necessary for my yoga mat, it is not necessary for bread. I no longer bake bread, because fresh bread is so yummy it's impossible for me to moderate it.

Food Babe isn't a food scientist.
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    What kills me is that because they're a nutriceutical instead of a food, they don't have to print nutritional information on the label, so people don't realize that many of them have the same calories as Kool Aid or soda.

Another thing... These waters do have nutritional info on the labels a long with a list of ingredients... Why would I assume to know what's in them if they didn't?

Anyway OP, you can drink some B12/B6 and find huge difference :)

That's your experience. I shared mine. Which was back when Vitamin Waters first came out. Most had 120ish calories/cup but were not required to report that on the label. Given that the product is called "water" (which would lead most reasonable people to assume they were calorie-free), I was horrified and have avoided them since. I'm happy to hear that that has been rectified since then.
  • StarBrightStarBright
    StarBrightStarBright Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    cmtigger wrote: »

Isn't Michael Pollan the one who says eat like your grandparents or great grandparents? Uh, my grandparents died 6 years ago. The one who lived to be 93 loved diet root beer, peanut M&Ms, and ice cream. My great grandparents still used cake mixes, and were not the most sanitary in their cooking. My mom remembers flies floating in the olive barrel at the farm.

He says you might have to go back to "Great Great Great", etc. but basically back to when food is made with ingredients straight from the earth as opposed to developed in a lab (he uses yogurt and bread as examples).

I think you can lose weight eating anything - but I do think whole foods are fantastic for nutrition. Personally I feel fuller when I eat whole foods over diet foods. But I know everyone is different.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    For me, it depends on the whole food (I can eat endless olives or nuts without getting too full, so could easily over eat, same with adding butter to things, cheese -- not whole foods, maybe, but within the Pollan definition). Lots of people can overeat fatty meats (more whole than a lot of the "diet" versions used like boneless, skinless breasts), and of course we've been eating bread for a long time -- I know of various relatives in the 19th century who had grain mills, were grain merchants, grew grain, etc., and obviously that goes back way way way beyond that.

I am usually not into "diet" foods, but I personally do find lean meats or low fat/skim dairy or the like often more filling for less calories than versions with more fat (because for me protein is filling and fat really isn't, although I find it satisfying and don't avoid it). When I like the lowfat as much or more than the full fat (as with plain greek yogurt, cottage cheese), I choose it. When I don't (like with cheese--the kinds of cheese I like don't have a low fat version), I don't.

I don't think vegetables are less nutritious if I buy some broccolini at Snap Kitchen vs. making it myself, but I do think that I'm more likely to include the vegetables if cooking from whole foods.