Real food diet...is that a thing?

Options

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,962 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh, @BruinsGal_91my hummers stay all winter and I have to watch to make sure the nectar doesn't freeze.
  • JohnnyPenso
    JohnnyPenso Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    AgidGirl wrote: »
    Well, here I am at the heaviest I've ever been. I haven't tried every diet out there, haven't yo-yo dieted, never taken a diet pill but, I have been REALLY LAZY about my health and fitness! What can I say, I'm a super wife, busy mom-of-three, I work full time, you know the drill. It's time for a change!

So, here's what I'm doing so far:

1. Eating only 'real foods', nothing processed.
    2. Tracking what I eat here on MFP (1200 calories or less)
    3. Cut out sugar
    4. Replacing 1 meal a day with a protein shake
    5. Drinking half my weight (or more) in water
    6. Taking 1 serving of Amazing Grass each day

I've only been giving this approach a go since last Sunday. I have no problem with the food and I've been feeling pretty good, until yesterday. I think I might have hit a wall or something but...I'm exhausted! Any recommendations on things I can incorporate into my routine to help me feel more energized? Also, any tweeks or changes I should do with my 'plan'? Thanks so much for reading!

I'm a big fan of 1, hard to go wrong there, so long as you are including fish, meat, eggs etc. which are real foods. The key is in your mind. It must be a positive change that creates positive thoughts and feelings, not dread and anxiety, otherwise it's just mental torture. The rest, not so much. 1200 is an arbitrary figure. I'd rather see something based on your actual size, weight loss goals etc. I have no problem with cutting out sugar, I've done it myself, beyond the odd use of honey or maple syrup. Not a fan of drinking my calories to replace a meal, I'd rather eat. I do use protein shakes, homemade, and only after a workout for specific reasons. I can't drink 80 pounds of water. Don't believe in superfoods nor repetitively eating the same foods. Variety is king.

what are fake foods?

I don't know. Maybe you should ask someone that used that phrase?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    bgh707 wrote: »
    Well, here I am at the heaviest I've ever been. I haven't tried every diet out there, haven't yo-yo dieted, never taken a diet pill but, I have been REALLY LAZY about my health and fitness! What can I say, I'm a super wife, busy mom-of-three, I work full time, you know the drill. It's time for a change!

3. Cut out sugar

I've only been giving this approach a go since last Sunday. I have no problem with the food and I've been feeling pretty good, until yesterday. I think I might have hit a wall or something but...I'm exhausted! Any recommendations on things I can incorporate into my routine to help me feel more energized? Also, any tweeks or changes I should do with my 'plan'? Thanks so much for reading!

3. Cut out sugar

I think that if you want to do an elimination diet, you should do something like a Whole 30. That will get you weaned off of the foods that gave you cravings and also help you figure out which foods you're sensitive to.[ I think that those who abide strictly to a CICO approach are a bit narrow-minded, since it doesn't work for anyone. In addition to food sensitivities, most people find it difficult to eat high-carb foods in moderation, so you're better off cutting them out entirely in the beginning.

It's not "narrow minded" it's actual fact. Food sensitivities are an individual issue and people that find it difficult to eat high carb foods in moderation just don't have the discipline others have. Doesn't negate them from having to eat less calories than the burn to lose weight.
    HOW a person approaches CICO is a preference. So please don't insult those who are well versed in how weight loss actually works.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Abstainers have a different sort of discipline. It happens in the grocery store rather than the kitchen.

http://gretchenrubin.com/happiness_project/2012/10/back-by-popular-demand-are-you-an-abstainer-or-a-moderator/
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Rocknut53 wrote: »

3. Cut out sugar

I'm a big fan of 1, hard to go wrong there, so long as you are including fish, meat, eggs etc. which are real foods. The key is in your mind. It must be a positive change that creates positive thoughts and feelings, not dread and anxiety, otherwise it's just mental torture. The rest, not so much. 1200 is an arbitrary figure. I'd rather see something based on your actual size, weight loss goals etc. I have no problem with cutting out sugar, I've done it myself, beyond the odd use of honey or maple syrup. Not a fan of drinking my calories to replace a meal, I'd rather eat. I do use protein shakes, homemade, and only after a workout for specific reasons. I can't drink 80 pounds of water. Don't believe in superfoods nor repetitively eating the same foods. Variety is king.

I thought maybe I was the only one that picked up on this. At a little over 8 pounds per gallon, I would have to drink about 16 gallons of water per day at which point I'd die from water toxicity. If I didn't die I'd be in the bathroom all day which would result in weight loss because I wouldn't be in the refrigerator. :s

I fell for that too in an earlier thread, but it actually means "half your weight in pounds in fl oz".
  • JohnnyPenso
    Options

3. Cut out sugar

what are fake foods?

I don't know. Maybe you should ask someone that used that phrase?

you said "...so long as you are including fish, meat, eggs etc. which are real foods." This would clearly indicate that there are fake foods out there and I would like to know what they are.
    I see now. My intent was to engage the OP in a discussion about their views on what is "real food", nothing more. Everyone has different views on what is real, what is natural, what is processed etc.
  • Kristeenewd
    Kristeenewd Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    We have regular pizza nights too, then i found these little gems (they are tiny but so good, I actually prefer them over regular pizza!). These fit into my plan perfectly!
    https://realgoodfoods.com/
  • DJ_Skywalker
    DJ_Skywalker Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    I don't think I've eaten 1200 calories or less since I started here on MFP 3 years ago. MFP set me at 1200 but I realized it was not enough to keep my energy levels up throughout the day. CICO is the only thing that has worked for me in over 25 years of "yo-yo dieting" and trying all the fads. I, too, work a full time job, have children and find the time to take care of myself because if I don't, how will I take care of others??
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    There's definitely a way to eat primarily whole, natural foods. It's not something I just switched too though. It's something that I gradually adapted into over time. Just slowly phase out the stuff you think is garbage, and over time keep moving the needle of your overall diet a little bit further towards your goal. Way easier said than done for most. The thing that kept me on track most was running. I can actually see and feel the difference in how I feel before, during and after a run based on the ratio of junk and/or highly processed food to healthy, whole foods. That helps. If you just want to lose weight though, and are not concerned about any sort of boost (however small) to performance, then you don't have to go this route as it is, quite frankly, harder than just eating fewer calories than you take in.
  • Treece68
    Treece68 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I'm wondering about drinking 1/2 her weight of water is that a day? So if she weighs 200lbs that would be almost 1,500 floz of water a day. Is my math wrong? That seems like a lot.
  • HealthierRayne
    HealthierRayne Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Treece68 wrote: »
    I'm wondering about drinking 1/2 her weight of water is that a day? So if she weighs 200lbs that would be almost 1,500 floz of water a day. Is my math wrong? That seems like a lot.

I think it means to make your weight oz then half, so if she weighs 200lbs, 200 oz of water, or a goal of 100 oz per day
  • JohnnyPenso
    Options

I'm thinking a garden hose may be in order here. :D
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options

They mean fluid ounces, not weight ounces. The general population of humans don't weigh their water.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »

They mean fluid ounces, not weight ounces. The general population of humans don't weigh their water.
    That's still a crazy amount. 8 cups is 64 oz.

I have kidney stone issues and need to drink more, but only about 100 oz. (3liters). And that's for a specific health issue. I rarely manage to get all of the 3 L down everyday.
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »

A fluid ounce of water weighs an ounce. That's why it's called a "fluid ounce".

The "drink half your weight in water" is misguided advice - but it's also misleading because it means "take your weight in pounds; divide by two; drink that many fluid ounces of water". A whole bunch of steps that are frequently not mentioned.