Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    bgh707 wrote: »
    All I was doing was suggesting an approach that has more of a track record that would provide a framework for what the OP seemed to intend to want to accomplish.

no, you said CICO does not work for some people, which is an incorrect statement and I don't think you understand what CICO is.

CICO is not a way of eating. Again, CICO is not a way of eating. It is a math formula that says if you eat less calories then you burn then you will lose weight; if you eat as many calories as you burn, your weight will stay relatively the same; and if you eat more calories then you burn then you will gain weight.

So who are these people that defy math?

I think CICO is pretty much interpreted as a way of eating in this place when people (majority) eat minding the number of calories consumed and expended per lifestyle. :) That's is sooo much a specific way of eating.

It's not though, it is a mathematical formula.

OK.

I won't argue with a guy flexing his bicep and has over 27k posts :)
    What is there to argue about? It is a formula. Are you disputing that?

that 27,000 is impressive... bicep could use more work.. but that 27K... now that is something :wink:

Lol
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    All I was doing was suggesting an approach that has more of a track record that would provide a framework for what the OP seemed to intend to want to accomplish.

no, you said CICO does not work for some people, which is an incorrect statement and I don't think you understand what CICO is.

CICO is not a way of eating. Again, CICO is not a way of eating. It is a math formula that says if you eat less calories then you burn then you will lose weight; if you eat as many calories as you burn, your weight will stay relatively the same; and if you eat more calories then you burn then you will gain weight.

I think CICO is pretty much interpreted as a way of eating in this place when people (majority) eat minding the number of calories consumed and expended per lifestyle. :) That's is sooo much a specific way of eating.

Let's parse what you just said.

If CICO is a WAY of EATING how does

"minding the number of calories consumed and expended per lifestyle"

describe that way of eating?

If I track calories in out, what does that tell you about what I'm eating (which is what a way of eating is?

In other words, what you just said makes no sense. You're arguing just to argue.

How is tracking calories in out not a way ? Does it have to be "know what I'm eating" to be a way?

(Yeah I'm kinda bored :))
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options

If I track calories in out, what does that tell you about what I'm eating (which is what a way of eating is?

In other words, what you just said makes no sense. You're arguing just to argue.

How is tracking calories in out not a way ? Does it have to be "know what I'm eating" to be a way?

Tracking calories is just using the scientific basis for weight loss but it's not a way of eating because it's the appliance of science. Keto, vegetarianism, veganism, paleo, HFLC, those are ways of eating, the mechanism by which you lose weight with them is CICO.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,971 Member
    Options
    @Look_Its_Kriss :laugh: :lol::laugh: :lol:

:laugh:
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    AgidGirl wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    !

I eat a primarily whole foods diet, but I think 100% whole food 100% of the time is pretty unrealistic...and frankly I really enjoy our Friday night pizza nights and whatnot. Not to mention I eat quite a bit in terms of minimally processed food good like dairy, canned tomatoes, canned beans, etc. I don't eat much in the way of added sugars, but I do usually have some small something or other for desert a few days per week and I don't avoid fruit or anything like that. Also, you don't need to do meal replacement shakes...and frankly, I wouldn't consider them to be "real foods"...they are highly processed food goods.

I also make sure I'm taking in adequate calories. In regards to your calorie targets, they are pretty aggressive and it's likely that you can eat more and still lose weight...one of the issues with aggressive deficits is fatigue and when fatigue sets in you start start to mess with the CO part of the equation...less involuntary fidgeting...less moving in general...things like that. In essence, by being so aggressive, you can actually do yourself a disservice and make weight loss harder than it need be.

Also, you shouldn't really be aiming to be below 1200...1200 is already a substantial deficit from your maintenance level of calories.

Thanks for your kind and thoughtful reply. Yes, I agree I will not be eating whole foods 100% all the time. But, at this step of my 'journey' I feel like I need to cutout as many as possible. I feel like if I have a cheat meal (pizza, pasta, etc) I will fall back into my old ways.

Based off of the reactions here (most of them mean, geesh) about the shakes I am going to reevaluate that part of my plan and add back in an actual dinner. It's hard having dinner on the go which is why I really liked the shakes!

Thanks again, I really appreciate your advice!

Maybe try a more "valuable" smoothie? Greek yogurt, spinach, banana, strawberry, chia...it would be higher calorie (which you can afford because you're not getting nearly enough)but more substantial and useful to your body and still easy to "eat" on a busy night.

You don't have to drink so much water, it turned out to be marketing from Evian and nestle.

Personally I'd advise working in a treat once a week or so. If you plan for it you will look forward to it and it can help keep you motivated...if you lose control and binge on such a strict diet it's likely to be the kind of thing that people quit over.

Good luck and have fun. ;)

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    z4oslo wrote: »

fruit sugar and candy sugar are the same thing, just an FYI for you.

The difference is what sugar comes WITH, with fruit sugar comes with fiber and vitamins, and fiber is the key here as it prevents your blood sugar from spiking.

Sugar is sugar. Your body does not know the difference.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options

It's not though, it is a mathematical formula.

OK.

I won't argue with a guy flexing his bicep and has over 27k posts :)
    What is there to argue about? It is a formula. Are you disputing that?

that 27,000 is impressive... bicep could use more work.. but that 27K... now that is something :wink:

Dang, this is GREAT! Got some chuckles out of me.....and I am very fond of ndj!
  • KerryEatsCarrots
    KerryEatsCarrots Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I think you are trying to do too much at once. Mostly whole foods, making small changes at a time and being consistent will get you where you want to go. Crash diets might lose the weigh quicker but you end up bouncing back up and gaining more in my experience.

Not sure how much you weigh now but I have 3 kids, was 240lbs and now 129lbs and still losing, just got to be a bit patient. Focus on health. You can do it. :)
  • richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    I want to know how they ("they") know how much sugar (by gram no less) each person consumes.

I buy big bags of sugar, but I only use it for hummingbird nectar. Am I skewing the results? :lol:

LOL, a few years ago I spread about 20 bags of sugar on my lawn because the organic matter tested really low. Statisticians hate me.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options

You can track calories and eat WFPB or paleo or the med diet or LCHF or kinda nutrition conscious but based on a very picky palate or no special way at all.

Or you can lose due to CICO without tracking at all, as I've done in the past.

CICO is why it happens, not any particular way of making it happen.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I haven't read all the replies but your diet sounds overly aggressive and unsustainable. IDK what Amazing Grass is but unless you are grazing in your yard I'm guessing that's a processed food as are protein shakes

A real food diet would be a diet where you eat real food. Things like eggs and meat and vegetable and fruits and whole grains. Where you prepare nutritious and delicious meals that the whole family can enjoy.
  • JohnnyPenso
    JohnnyPenso Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Well, here I am at the heaviest I've ever been. I haven't tried every diet out there, haven't yo-yo dieted, never taken a diet pill but, I have been REALLY LAZY about my health and fitness! What can I say, I'm a super wife, busy mom-of-three, I work full time, you know the drill. It's time for a change!

So, here's what I'm doing so far:

1. Eating only 'real foods', nothing processed.
    2. Tracking what I eat here on MFP (1200 calories or less)
    3. Cut out sugar
    4. Replacing 1 meal a day with a protein shake
    5. Drinking half my weight (or more) in water
    6. Taking 1 serving of Amazing Grass each day

I've only been giving this approach a go since last Sunday. I have no problem with the food and I've been feeling pretty good, until yesterday. I think I might have hit a wall or something but...I'm exhausted! Any recommendations on things I can incorporate into my routine to help me feel more energized? Also, any tweeks or changes I should do with my 'plan'? Thanks so much for reading!

I'm a big fan of 1, hard to go wrong there, so long as you are including fish, meat, eggs etc. which are real foods. The key is in your mind. It must be a positive change that creates positive thoughts and feelings, not dread and anxiety, otherwise it's just mental torture. The rest, not so much. 1200 is an arbitrary figure. I'd rather see something based on your actual size, weight loss goals etc. I have no problem with cutting out sugar, I've done it myself, beyond the odd use of honey or maple syrup. Not a fan of drinking my calories to replace a meal, I'd rather eat. I do use protein shakes, homemade, and only after a workout for specific reasons. I can't drink 80 pounds of water. Don't believe in superfoods nor repetitively eating the same foods. Variety is king.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Well, here I am at the heaviest I've ever been. I haven't tried every diet out there, haven't yo-yo dieted, never taken a diet pill but, I have been REALLY LAZY about my health and fitness! What can I say, I'm a super wife, busy mom-of-three, I work full time, you know the drill. It's time for a change!

So, here's what I'm doing so far:

1. Eating only 'real foods', nothing processed.
    2. Tracking what I eat here on MFP (1200 calories or less)
    3. Cut out sugar
    4. Replacing 1 meal a day with a protein shake
    5. Drinking half my weight (or more) in water
    6. Taking 1 serving of Amazing Grass each day

I've only been giving this approach a go since last Sunday. I have no problem with the food and I've been feeling pretty good, until yesterday. I think I might have hit a wall or something but...I'm exhausted! Any recommendations on things I can incorporate into my routine to help me feel more energized? Also, any tweeks or changes I should do with my 'plan'? Thanks so much for reading!

I'm a big fan of 1, hard to go wrong there, so long as you are including fish, meat, eggs etc. which are real foods. The key is in your mind. It must be a positive change that creates positive thoughts and feelings, not dread and anxiety, otherwise it's just mental torture. The rest, not so much. 1200 is an arbitrary figure. I'd rather see something based on your actual size, weight loss goals etc. I have no problem with cutting out sugar, I've done it myself, beyond the odd use of honey or maple syrup. Not a fan of drinking my calories to replace a meal, I'd rather eat. I do use protein shakes, homemade, and only after a workout for specific reasons. I can't drink 80 pounds of water. Don't believe in superfoods nor repetitively eating the same foods. Variety is king.

what are fake foods?