WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    z4oslo wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    AgidGirl wrote: »

fruit sugar and candy sugar are the same thing, just an FYI for you.

The difference is what sugar comes WITH, with fruit sugar comes with fiber and vitamins, and fiber is the key here as it prevents your blood sugar from spiking.

Actually, it does not.
    The amount of fiber in a single banana does not even negate even 95% of the natural sugars in it.
    If someone is a diabetic, taking insulin they still need to take the same amount of insulin for the carbs in the fruit after subtracting fiber as they would from a chocolate bar with the same carbs. If a diabetic ate fruit without taking insulin to balance it, their blood sugars would spike, same as a healthy person, however the healthy person creates their own insulin and balances the sugar in the fruit the same way a person with diabetes taking insulin would. Spikes happen regardless.

Just gonna leave this debate with a recomandation from WHO.

“We have solid evidence that keeping intake of free sugars to less than 10% of total energy intake reduces the risk of overweight, obesity and tooth decay,” says Dr Francesco Branca, Director of WHO’s Department of Nutrition for Health and Development. “Making policy changes to support this will be key if countries are to live up to their commitments to reduce the burden of noncommunicable diseases.”

The WHO guideline does not refer to the sugars in fresh fruits and vegetables, and sugars naturally present in milk, because there is no reported evidence of adverse effects of consuming these sugars.

So your interpretation of the WHO Guidelines is that if you eat sugars from fresh fruits and vegetables, that you are not at risk of becoming overweight, obese, or having tooth decay?

This is straight from the WHO website, not my interpretation.
    http://www.who.int/mediacentre/news/releases/2015/sugar-guideline/en/

Then I take exception to the wording in that press release. Obesity is caused by consuming too many calories, period. It is not caused exclusively by consuming free sugars in excess of 10% of total calories, and it is entirely possible to become obese while eating an excess of calories from whole foods. I would think that being obese, regardless of where the calories came from, would be considered an adverse effect.

That said, the recommendations to limit added sugars are done because many of the products where these added sugars are prevalent are calorie dense, but in the US, obesity is still on the rise even though sugar consumption on the decline.

Carbs%2Bvs.%2Bobesity%2B%2528sugar%2529.jpg
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,969 Member
    Options
    ..and I'm normal weight. I'm a poll-taker's/chart maker's nightmare.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,969 Member
    Options
    That green stuff isn't food. It's what I use to bulk up my tuna. Chocolate layer cake would be yucky with tuna, though.

and that's how you beat a craving, ya'll. You're welcome.
  • whoffmann
    whoffmann Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    OP - you go, girl! Love your approach. Cut calories (and carefully measure portions to know what you're eating). Cut sugar to reduce sugar cravings.

I don't know about eating grass, but y'know, if it works for you, go for it! Never heard of Amazing Grass before. Oh, I see--it's some powdered stuff in a can. Well, if it makes you happy, more power to you.

Developing a taste for whole/real/actual foods is a great idea. It can take some time to adjust so you don't feel like you're depriving yourself. But once you do, it gets a lot easier. You may find yourself not interested in the cake. Of course, some days you may be super interested in the cake. But then...eat the cake. It's ok. (Maybe not the whole cake.)

Don't let anyone else tell you the "right" way for you to eat and to lose weight. Your body will tell you. IMHO, 1200 calories is hard to do day in and day out. I do it, but allow for a "cheat day" where I still measure, but don't worry so much about the total (2500 calories tends to feel like a LOT, though, once you're used to half that). But 1550 sounds like a great amount to be satiated every day without a cheat day.

Good luck and keep us posted on your journey!

• endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    bgh707 wrote: »
    All I was doing was suggesting an approach that has more of a track record that would provide a framework for what the OP seemed to intend to want to accomplish.

no, you said CICO does not work for some people, which is an incorrect statement and I don't think you understand what CICO is.

CICO is not a way of eating. Again, CICO is not a way of eating. It is a math formula that says if you eat less calories then you burn then you will lose weight; if you eat as many calories as you burn, your weight will stay relatively the same; and if you eat more calories then you burn then you will gain weight.

So who are these people that defy math?

I think CICO is pretty much interpreted as a way of eating in this place when people (majority) eat minding the number of calories consumed and expended per lifestyle. :) That's is sooo much a specific way of eating.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    All I was doing was suggesting an approach that has more of a track record that would provide a framework for what the OP seemed to intend to want to accomplish.

no, you said CICO does not work for some people, which is an incorrect statement and I don't think you understand what CICO is.

CICO is not a way of eating. Again, CICO is not a way of eating. It is a math formula that says if you eat less calories then you burn then you will lose weight; if you eat as many calories as you burn, your weight will stay relatively the same; and if you eat more calories then you burn then you will gain weight.

I think CICO is pretty much interpreted as a way of eating in this place when people (majority) eat minding the number of calories consumed and expended per lifestyle. :) That's is sooo much a specific way of eating.

It's not though, it is a mathematical formula.
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options

OK.

I won't argue with a guy flexing his bicep and has over 27k posts :)

• fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Based off of the reactions here (most of them mean, geesh) about the shakes I am going to reevaluate that part of my plan and add back in an actual dinner. It's hard having dinner on the go which is why I really liked the shakes!

Thanks again, I really appreciate your advice!

Try not to take stuff personally here. Some people get pretty excited when they get to tell someone else what to do. ;) I also like protein shakes - they are both convenient and nutritious. But that stuff in your link looks horrible - hence the negative responses. I use Optimum Nutrition, and BSN Syntha-6 - both are delicious, and get excellent reviews.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

OK.

I won't argue with a guy flexing his bicep and has over 27k posts :)
    What is there to argue about? It is a formula. Are you disputing that?
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options

Let's parse what you just said.

If CICO is a WAY of EATING how does

"minding the number of calories consumed and expended per lifestyle"

describe that way of eating?

If I track calories in out, what does that tell you about what I'm eating (which is what a way of eating is?

In other words, what you just said makes no sense. You're arguing just to argue.
  • gradchica27
    gradchica27 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    OP, it seems like the diet aspect of your plan has been well critiqued and you're adjusting (which is great!). Just wanted to know if you have an activity part of your plan.

I know you're busy and I totally get that (homeschooling mom of 4 here!), but for me activity helps me keep to my calorie goal without becoming a hangry ogress (both by mildly suppressing my appetite, making me want to fuel my body well to get the most from my workouts, and by giving me more calories. I'm 5'4" and lost 75 lbs on 1800 plus some activity cals). I'm not sure your activity level/step count, but even a moderate increase for me makes a huge difference in how I feel and how sustainable my calorie goal seems.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    As I'm typing this I'm eating a piece of chocolate birthday cake from an office birthday. I logged it and I still have 600 calories left to meet my new goal of 1550.

efm2bc90lkyk.jpg

I have a refeed day tomorrow with all da carbs. I feel like this should feature.
    whoffmann wrote: »
    OP - you go, girl! Love your approach. Cut calories (and carefully measure portions to know what you're eating). Cut sugar to reduce sugar cravings.

I don't know about eating grass, but y'know, if it works for you, go for it! Never heard of Amazing Grass before. Oh, I see--it's some powdered stuff in a can. Well, if it makes you happy, more power to you.

Developing a taste for whole/real/actual foods is a great idea. It can take some time to adjust so you don't feel like you're depriving yourself. But once you do, it gets a lot easier. You may find yourself not interested in the cake. Of course, some days you may be super interested in the cake. But then...eat the cake. It's ok. (Maybe not the whole cake.)

Don't let anyone else tell you the "right" way for you to eat and to lose weight. Your body will tell you. IMHO, 1200 calories is hard to do day in and day out. I do it, but allow for a "cheat day" where I still measure, but don't worry so much about the total (2500 calories tends to feel like a LOT, though, once you're used to half that). But 1550 sounds like a great amount to be satiated every day without a cheat day.

Good luck and keep us posted on your journey!

Somebody didn't read the thread........