Real food diet...is that a thing?

Options

Replies

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Does "bonking" have a different meaning outside of the UK?!

In the endurance exercise world bonking is basically running completely out of steam because you deplete your glycogen and therefore being unable to complete a ride or run or doing so way slower than you should have.

So yeah! ;-)

In other words, one definition of "bonking" at the end of a workout is a good thing, the other not so much. :D
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Bonking means something entirely different in Australia too... :flushed: eg "They spent all night bonking".
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I thought that was banging foreheads, like how the feral cat who thinks I belong to him shows me affection...
  • Chmarly
    Chmarly Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I don't have time for lunch so my food is a wrap with maybe shredded chicken and salad in it don't need to warm it up or anything I do mine over weekend wrap up in foil into the fridge and pop it in my handbag on the day so no containers or forks etc needed just an idea
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    AgidGirl wrote: »
    It's been 6 weeks since I posted this and even I think I was crazy thinking I could follow my original plan! My new plan is:

1. Eat at a calorie deficit
    2. Weigh my food and track my calories
    3. Move more

I like my new plan MUCH better, who knew that losing weight was that 'simple'. Why do people (me included) think that you have to make losing weight such an ordeal? This post is what set me straight and set me free! So far I've lost 13 pounds, I have lots more to go but it's a great start!

LOL - this is AWESOME! I'm so glad you were able to have that light bulb moment that so many of us had. And I'm REALLY glad you came back and shared that - so many times these threads that start off a little rocky, with an OP who wanted to hear one thing and heard something totally different - either get so far off the rails that they end up getting pulled, or the OP never comes back with an update.

Best of luck and much continued success! Enjoy the food and the exercise!
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    It's been 6 weeks since I posted this and even I think I was crazy thinking I could follow my original plan! My new plan is:

3. Move more

I like my new plan MUCH better, who knew that losing weight was that 'simple'. Why do people (me included) think that you have to make losing weight such an ordeal? This post is what set me straight and set me free! So far I've lost 13 pounds, I have lots more to go but it's a great start!

Posts like this make me smile, as I know it (MFP forums and the "meanies") isn't all in vain.
  • ShrinkingViolet1982
    ShrinkingViolet1982 Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Geez! How much weight are you trying to lose? How tall are you?

I bet with your (ACTIVE) activity level (kids/house/job) you could eat closer to 1700 and still lose if you are logging accurately. PLUS you could eat more on exercise days.

Listen to your body. If you're bonking it's because you're under eating.

Thanks for your reply. I'm 5'4" and trying to lose 80-90lbs.

If you're over 200lbs there's no way you should be eating so little... I don't believe for a second that mfp has given you 1200 cals when you're at least light active...?

I'm over 200 pounds and MFP gave me 1200 calories.
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    !

I eat a primarily whole foods diet, but I think 100% whole food 100% of the time is pretty unrealistic...and frankly I really enjoy our Friday night pizza nights and whatnot. Not to mention I eat quite a bit in terms of minimally processed food good like dairy, canned tomatoes, canned beans, etc. I don't eat much in the way of added sugars, but I do usually have some small something or other for desert a few days per week and I don't avoid fruit or anything like that. Also, you don't need to do meal replacement shakes...and frankly, I wouldn't consider them to be "real foods"...they are highly processed food goods.

I also make sure I'm taking in adequate calories. In regards to your calorie targets, they are pretty aggressive and it's likely that you can eat more and still lose weight...one of the issues with aggressive deficits is fatigue and when fatigue sets in you start start to mess with the CO part of the equation...less involuntary fidgeting...less moving in general...things like that. In essence, by being so aggressive, you can actually do yourself a disservice and make weight loss harder than it need be.

Also, you shouldn't really be aiming to be below 1200...1200 is already a substantial deficit from your maintenance level of calories.

Thanks for your kind and thoughtful reply. Yes, I agree I will not be eating whole foods 100% all the time. But, at this step of my 'journey' I feel like I need to cutout as many as possible. I feel like if I have a cheat meal (pizza, pasta, etc) I will fall back into my old ways.

Based off of the reactions here (most of them mean, geesh) about the shakes I am going to reevaluate that part of my plan and add back in an actual dinner. It's hard having dinner on the go which is why I really liked the shakes!

Thanks again, I really appreciate your advice!

If you are really pressed for time and would like a shake for dinner instead of a meal try making your own. I make one with Greek Yogurt, frozen fruit, a ton of spinach and whatever liquid you like ( milk, almond milk, OJ, water....). I do agree that 1200 calories is too little. I started out a 1200 as recommended and had to up it because I was miserable and hungry. I am currently at 1700 calories, but I am quite active as well. You will eventually find the right balance for yourself. I also found that once I upped my calories I started losing weight. I get that everyone is different...trial and error! Good Luck!!
  • Leah_62803
    Leah_62803 Posts: 292 Member
    Options

3. Move more

That's really great. I'm so glad that you decided to change your goals and realized that it can be simple.
    I have been "dieting" on and off nearly every year for the past 10 years and guess what...I'm fatter now than I was 10 years ago.
    It's because I didn't have these "mean" people to help me. I said "I'm going on a diet" and I quit eating all the foods I loved. I ate salads and yogurt every day. I'd lose 5-10 lbs and then wake up and literally all I could think about was fast food. I couldn't concentrate on anything else but how hungry I was and how much I *needed* something warm and filling. I'd give in and go to Taco Bell and get 3 burritos and stuffed myself with them...and then feel miserable and think I was weak and worthless and I'd never lose weight. Then I'd give up and gain everything back, plus a few more lbs.

This time I'm trying to really listen to the advice I read here. I've lost 17 lbs and I'm still going strong. Today I've got my whole day logged and I'm having McDonald's for dinner. I will even need to add another snack to get my calories up!
  • crazyycatlady1
    crazyycatlady1 Posts: 292 Member
    Options

3. Move more

Love this :)
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options

3. Move more

<3<3<3
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    midpath wrote: »
    Maybe its been said...but how did you find a protein shake that has no added sugar?

Also...what is amazing grass? Sounds weird.

She said a vegan one, so maybe Vega, but in my experience lots of the whey ones also don't have any (talking about the powder, not whatever pre-made ones might exist). I'm actually surprised you would think they were hard to find. Biochem is one example that has no added sugar, but there are others.

Yup, Biochem Natural is what I use.

Biochem Ultimate 100 % Whey protein, Natural has no added sugar. Ingredients: Whey protein isolate, Natural French vanilla flavor, sunflower lecithin, xanthan gum.

(The Vanilla option does have some sugar, and to me a rather overpowering amount of vanilla. Natural is lightly vanilla.)
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options

3. Move more

WE HAVE A WINNER!!!!! :smiley: This is a sustainable plan.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    midpath wrote: »
    Maybe its been said...but how did you find a protein shake that has no added sugar?

Also...what is amazing grass? Sounds weird.

She said a vegan one, so maybe Vega, but in my experience lots of the whey ones also don't have any (talking about the powder, not whatever pre-made ones might exist). I'm actually surprised you would think they were hard to find. Biochem is one example that has no added sugar, but there are others.

Yup, Biochem Natural is what I use.

Biochem Ultimate 100 % Whey protein, Natural has no added sugar. Ingredients: Whey protein isolate, Natural French vanilla flavor, sunflower lecithin, xanthan gum.

(The Vanilla option does have some sugar, and to me a rather overpowering amount of vanilla. Natural is lightly vanilla.)

I like natural too, but I think they have all their flavors in sugar free options too, including vanilla. I want to try the coconut.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

3. Move more

Can we, like, quote this in 1,000 other threads here?

It's amazing how refreshing it is to figure this out and to give up on all the diet crap in the media. I know I felt majorly relieved.
  • nevadavis1
    nevadavis1 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    5. Drinking half my weight (or more) in water

Just a note here, actually drinking half your weight in water will kill you.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    nevadavis1 wrote: »
    5. Drinking half my weight (or more) in water

Just a note here, actually drinking half your weight in water will kill you.

you are supposed to drink half your weight in oz(not lbs). I do that and then some some days and Im not dead yet. while there is such a thing as too much water and it being toxic.That usually happens if you arent peeing/sweating it out,or you are drinking too much too quickly.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

3. Move more

amen!
  • nevadavis1
    nevadavis1 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Well that makes more sense, but it was presented as simply "half my weight" not "half my weight only in ounces not pounds"