Does cardio eat away muscle? Is it diet? Is it cardio? Is it GENES?

Options

Replies

• Savyna
    Savyna Posts: 789 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Plenty. They make it fit their macros.

I'm sorry but if you are trying to get a ripped shredded look you won't be able to do that by fitting in a 400-600 calorie slice of pizza

What pizza are you getting? You could make your own to have some that are lighter in calories. But to respond to your original post, I think you need to reevaluate your relationship with food and your caloric intake. If your body changes towards that "crack head" look with all your exercising and food intake, doesn't that mean something to you? That you might possibly have to eat a little bit more?

As per your comments about genetics, I had my dna tested and sent to a sports dna lab. The profile they gave me was that I was a person who was lean and had a lot of speed/power for sprinting as opposed to being a better endurance runner as well as some other athletic information. I thought it was funny because as a kid on the playground I loved sprinting and I was lean, until I hit my teenage years and had a lot of emotional issues that I chose food as my comfort (thus gained a lot of weight and I lost the ability to sprint as fast as I used to and started drifting towards endurance runs/exercises). I think there are some things you do inherit from your parents but ultimately it's your choices that affect your body's outcome.

Lastly there's a man on instagram named timbahwolffff, he's big on fitting pizza, fast food, heavy soups, etc, into his eating plan through macro management. He's not super muscle bound but he's lean and looks ripped to me, as well as veins popping in certain places.

TL:DR - reassess your relationship with food, are you scared to eat more thinking you might suddenly become fat? Is this a healthy relationship? Do you need to have a bulking session and lift heavier to regain muscle?

Good luck!

ETA: fixed open quote
  • alexrosader
    alexrosader Posts: 79 Member
    Options

Plenty. They make it fit their macros.

I'm sorry but if you are trying to get a ripped shredded look you won't be able to do that by fitting in a 400-600 calorie slice of pizza

Currently doing it. Couple of weeks ago I ate a whole pizza to myself. Followed by dessert. Tonight was hamburger and chips. With dessert.

Prepped in to bodybuilding shows using IIFYM, including "treats" in my diet. I'm definitely not special, or unusual. [/quote]

When I see it I'll believe it
  • alexrosader
    Options
    My good man, I am 7 inches shorter than you, female, weigh 136lbs and do a mere 4-6 hours of cardiovascular stuff a week plus half- Kitten press-ups and such each day. Unless the kitten stands on me, in which case they're full press-ups. I think we can assume you're a lot more muscular than me, yeah?

And I am continuing to lose weight when I stay between 1500 and 2000 calories!

Then your genetics are totally different than Mine, we don't digest food and absorb nutrients the same way, if I stepped it up to 2000 kcal daily I will look like a marshmallow, soft and that's uncomfortable for me. My metabolism is really slow trust me.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    edited March 2017
    Options
    My good man, I am 7 inches shorter than you, female, weigh 136lbs and do a mere 4-6 hours of cardiovascular stuff a week plus half- Kitten press-ups and such each day. Unless the kitten stands on me, in which case they're full press-ups. I think we can assume you're a lot more muscular than me, yeah?

Then your genetics are totally different than Mine, we don't digest food and absorb nutrients the same way, if I stepped it up to 2000 kcal daily I will look like a marshmallow, soft and that's uncomfortable for me. My metabolism is really slow trust me.

There are variations in metabolism and TDEE. For a large part, people follow within a standard range.

"Metabolic rate does vary, and technically there could be large variance. However, statistically speaking it is unlikely the variance would apply to you. The majority of the population exists in a range of 200-300kcal from each other and do not possess hugely different metabolic rates"

https://examine.com/nutrition/does-metabolism-vary-between-two-people/

The other driver are the other components, especially NEAT and TEA. So if you are small, are largely sedentary, you will have a lower TDEE. But I know plenty of small women who maintain at over 2000 calories.

There are other factors that can decrease metabolism, especially eating disorders or periods of high calorie suppression.

ETA: If you actually want to know if you fall within the standard deviation, go get a metabolic test instead of assuming. But like ninerbuff pointer out, you aren't very big, so that means you won't have a ton of lean body mass.
  • HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    Options
    jenilla1 wrote: »
    Why the extremes? It's like you think there are only two options: 1000 calories or 2500 calories. If you're too scared of looking "like a marshmallow" at 2000 calories, why not try 1700 for awhile and see if your muscle stops wasting away? 1000-1200 is clearly not working for you, and 2000, 2500, 3000 clearly doesn't work for you either. Instead of arguing with strangers on the Internet, why not experiment with something more moderate?
    Exactly.

• alexrosader
    Options

You've had it tested in a lab, then?

Hahah, how about this put me and her on the same diet and exercise regimen and you are going to tell me we will loose weight / gain muscle EXACTLY AT THE SAME RATE?
  • alexrosader
    Options
    jenilla1 wrote: »
    Why the extremes? It's like you think there are only two options: 1000 calories or 2500 calories. If you're too scared of looking "like a marshmallow" at 2000 calories, why not try 1700 for awhile and see if your muscle stops wasting away? 1000-1200 is clearly not working for you, and 2000, 2500, 3000 clearly doesn't work for you either. Instead of arguing with strangers on the Internet, why not experiment with something more moderate?
    Exactly.

Will try that this spring Going into summer